News

Shondrella journeys to Africa – Introducing “The Shondrella Adventures”

BellaNaija.com

African-American actress Shondrella Avery has quite an interesting filmography. She has featured in television comedy series including “One On One” and “Cutz”, on the other side of the spectrum, she played “LaFawnduh Lucas” in the cult hit – “Napoleon Dynamite” and also the critically acclaimed drama “The Secret Life of Bees” which featured Jennifer Hudson, Alicia Keys and Dakota Fanning.

Shondrella is exploring new terrain with her “mockumentary” – The Shondrella Adventures.

The Shondrella Adventures focuses on “An African-American Woman’s Journey to Africa”. Shondrella is married to a Nigerian man, Ade Kester and they have been together for over 10 years. She admits that there is a lot of ignorance in the US about Africa even within the African-American community.

After being inspired by a dream, Shondrella Avery-Kester who resides in Los Angeles, California sets out on a journey to explore Africa starting with her husband’s homeland, Nigeria. She starts off by telling her family and friends including Keisha Whitaker and Marques Houston about the planned adventure.

Here is a clip from the pilot episode,  we expect that when the show is completely developed and the first episode is shot, it will blossom beyond what we see in the pilot. We heard Shondrella on the Beat 99.9 FM when she was in Lagos a few months ago and she was actually really funny and down to earth. Definitely see potential for the show!

The Shondrella Adventures-Pilot from beat.productions on Vimeo.

Photo Credit: TV Fuse

1. Naija

November 24, 2010 at 1:49 am

Right on Shondrella! Go straight on to Nigeria!

2. Passionate about causes, not driven by greed

November 24, 2010 at 2:10 am

You are married to an African man and you never thought to go home until now, please be original and let people know that real truth to this mock presentation/dramatization of the lived realities of a continent you all of a sudden want to learn about despite marrying an African for over 10 years…..

• THE AMAKA

November 24, 2010 at 2:58 am

haba! what is your issue?

• osiko

November 24, 2010 at 4:49 am

i conquer…everything on tv is just fake man….esp this foolery of a play

• Afro Donald

November 30, 2010 at 11:56 am

I loved the show. Again it’s what entertainment is, CNN and other Western World Media don’t paint especially Nigeria in a good way. Americans need and want to learn about our brothers and sisters and hope we would be accepted. So be nice @Passionate….XOXO.

3. S.O

November 24, 2010 at 2:13 am

OMG! This is actually pretty cool but I’m super disappointed in the Nigerians in the background taking advantage of her. $200 for lace is ridicccc!!! Did those girls even deliver the stuff? If she gets a translator, she’s going to be really upset with some of their words. Oh well she did say she wants to experience Africa. Well welcome to greedy people who are ALWAYS ready to take the piss at the smell of ignorance. On that note, she probably should have gone with her Nigerian hubby! x

• THE AMAKA

November 24, 2010 at 2:59 am

@ the part that she should have gone with her hubby; agreed.

• Ready

November 25, 2010 at 2:20 am

I don’t know if you know varieties of lace, but $200 for lace is not ridiculous. That’s N30,000. There’s N300,000 lace…that’d be $2,000. Lace get level.

• Ayodeji

November 24, 2010 at 7:50 am

I understand Yoruba properly! $200 is 30,000. My mum sells clothes too and I know that is not expensive. It depends on the material. I know laces that sell for 180k. I should know, my grandma is Iyalaje. Notice when she said she had $10 which is 1,500 their ‘oga’ asked her to come back. lol!
      But at the end, when they said “o de nice o, ori o kan pe ni” it was then they were taking advantage of her cos she doesn’t understand the language. But again, it was probably due to a misconception as to attitude.

4. e-Bukun

November 24, 2010 at 2:14 am

ha ha ha…419 o. Eya, ndo, shondrella…never shop alone in Lagos, not without a chaperon. “o de nizze o, ori e ko kan pe”…lol

5. Aisha

November 24, 2010 at 2:17 am

That girl translating for her is an actress isn’t she? She was in Madea’s “I can do all bad by myself” She’s Nigerian too

• Kiki

November 24, 2010 at 8:49 pm

yeah she’s an actress and nigerian and was in I can do all by my self

6. burramint

November 24, 2010 at 2:17 am

bwahahahahha the woman straight up said “i bo le ti ri akata”
    “o nize oh, o nize, ori e o kan pe ni” hahhahaaha i’m done!
    these were the only funny parts sha… all that i’m going to be the princess of somalia etc isn’t working for me… and where is her husband?

7. THE AMAKA

November 24, 2010 at 2:52 am

i enjoyed it. hahaha
    finally not one of those african-americans saying ignorant stuff when in Africa. that stuff annoys me.
    hehe

8. THE AMAKA

November 24, 2010 at 3:00 am

and can someone translate what those “funny” parts mean?

9. Ready

November 24, 2010 at 3:57 am

Crown on your head, you were a madam on a camel, misconceptions like that you mean?….I’m trying to support tourism in Africa, but her man should have taken her loooong time ago. Still, I will definitely keep an eye out for this.

Those Yoruba women were wrong for that. Dem don yab am finish before she talk 2 sentences.

• Afro Donald

November 30, 2010 at 12:01 pm

@Ready, she seems to speak the language so she might have been there before. Does anyone know what language they are speaking?

10. jess

November 24, 2010 at 3:58 am

Omg those girls were so mean haha. She’s funny as well though! “I’m royal..to myself”. Good luck finding your land ma’am. Haha

11. myne Whitman

November 24, 2010 at 6:33 am

She seems excited which is usually different from others who’re scared.

12. Margaret

November 24, 2010 at 6:48 am

When she said “Ya’ll don’t need to yell” I was like “O ti tan.” I have a couple of friends who think we Africans yell a lot. When we watch movies they want to hold the remote control all the time so they can adjust the volume in each scene. They’re getting used to the “richness” of our voice now, but to hear Shondrella confirm the yelling again makes me “hmm.” LOL 🙂

13. FlyGirlSecondToNone

November 24, 2010 at 8:58 am

The woman with the horribly painted eyebrows was so rudeee!!!
    Shondrella is so lost to think she’s most likely royalty. Not all ‘Africans’ are from royal fams. I hope she doesn’t find out she’s a houseboy’s descendant. LOLLL
    It also seem her husband has not exposed her to proper Nigerian lifestyle… Anyway, the end was funny. That older woman was just too damn rude.

14. Naijamum

November 24, 2010 at 10:18 am

Love her enthusiasm.
    However, I do wonder why African-Americans always think they are Arican royalty *sigh*

15. Naijamum

November 24, 2010 at 10:20 am

……mistype…I meant ‘African royalty..!

16. beezy

November 24, 2010 at 10:41 am

pls wats this?…. I find this whole clip very annoying.. major -….. hiss

• Afro Donald

November 30, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Which part beezy? Hugs and hissssses

17. SpirytSista

November 24, 2010 at 11:56 am

LMBO. this was cute and funny.

18. Oma

November 24, 2010 at 1:57 pm

At least she made an effort to come no matter how long it took.
    what would you say about nigerians in thier late 20s or more who were born abroad and have never been here?
    pls give her a break.
    what are you focusing on?
    http//lifethroughomaseyes.blogspot.com

19. thebabe

November 24, 2010 at 4:47 pm

LOL! Not sure who the market is though? The humor from the American side, will be lost of many Naija’s I think…for instance I do believe that the royalty comment was tongue in cheek…also the Naija/yoruba comedy was hilarious but the intricacies of that may be lost on Americans…or even generate more issues.
    But funny enjoyable…interesting idea, would like to see how it plays out.

20. rukayatt

November 24, 2010 at 5:18 pm

LOL! please will they be showing this as a regular show cause this is funny men. If so, what channel? Can we view it here in the U.S?

21. lenka

November 24, 2010 at 5:44 pm

guys calm down, there is a reason its called a mocumentary. its a scripted show shot in a documentary style. i like the humour and i think its hella funny..she plays on the american ignorance and the african stereotype

• Hakeem

November 30, 2010 at 12:32 pm

People, Producer and Director lenka dey talk. Mocumentary this one pass me o. I hear say Silverbird interview the woman for phone.

22. Adia

November 24, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Is it me? Or did the other sales girl look like Hope Olaide Wilson (that chick from Tyler Perry’s I can do bad all by myself)

• rukayatt

December 1, 2010 at 5:45 pm

YES! She looks just like her men! I mean, is she her twin or something? I think it is her and I think this store is probably in the U.S. Cause I really can’t think of a store that will be called “African fashion…” in Naija. I mean we already know we in Africa.

23. New bride

November 24, 2010 at 6:16 pm

You guys realize that she didn’t go to Nigeria right? There’s no store in ‘Ajegunle’ called Sola’s African Store. That’s the type of store you find in predominantly Nigerian areas in the US or UK.
    In the real Lagos, where many of us live, women who sell lace don’t sell crap like golden morn, ose dudu and palm wine.
    Like someone said, this is a scripted mockumentary, a pretty bad one for that matter!
    I’m rather upset at her ‘Nigerian’ husband for not calling her to order with this nonsense.
    Long, loud hiss!!!!!!!!

• Ayodeji

November 25, 2010 at 3:00 am

Imagine me trying to defend the price sef. Mscheewwwwwwww. Nonsense. So she didn’t even come to Nigeria and she’s talking???????!?!!!!!

• Afro Donald

November 30, 2010 at 11:46 am

Is there any reason to be upset? It’s fiction and not real did you know that? Am African American and I would love to see the mother land or be part of it unless like the lady said in the show, dispel the misconceptions unless you truly dislike African Americans. Which I believe may not be true. Cos most of my Africans friends are nice.

24. Loli

November 24, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Wow–my people never fail to amaze me…she came for clothes and ended up with goat meat and oshe dudu (lol) Shon-drella nawa o. This looks like an interesting show–we’ll see how she fairs out.

25. Sugabelly

November 24, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Please this is NOT REAL. Look at the scene where she enters Sola’s African Store at 05:41. The young girl wearing the blue jewelled top is a NIgerian ACTRESS working in Hollywood. Her name is Hope Olaide Wilson and she acted as Jennifer (the older daughter) in Tyler Perry’s “I Can Do Bad All By Myself” which starred Taraji P. Henson as Jennifer’s aunt.

Pause the video at 05:41 and do a Google image search on Hope Olaide Wilson

• Najia

November 25, 2010 at 1:32 am

Uhmm! Good catch eh Sugabelly! I thought her face seemed familiar sha. Haba! I so don not see the reality in this. Newho na, make we just enjoy am!

• Najia

November 25, 2010 at 1:34 am

Uhmm! Good catch eh Sugabelly! I thought her face seemed familiar sha. Haba! This yeye thing na insult o!

26. D.O.T.M.H.

November 24, 2010 at 8:28 pm

hahahaahhaaa!! The woman selling stuff is hi-la-ri-ous!! ok lemme finish watching it

27. D.O.T.M.H.

November 24, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Shondrellaaa, cinderella, that one too said umbrellaa hahahaha
    Yorubas ken be RAZZ!!

28. dami

November 24, 2010 at 9:00 pm

this might have been cool if she had actually come to Nigeria, but she didnt. this is utter foolery, she must be very mad. who does she think shes fooling? Infact im annoyed!

• Afro Donald

November 30, 2010 at 12:10 pm

I guess Passionate,Bezy, Dami and New Bride are very serious people. I’ve heard of a dairy of a black woman, this is a diary of a mad African woman. Fellas am going to Africa, I ma go marry 4 wives! Passionate, Bezy, Dami & New Bride will yall marry me;> please say…………..

29. P.J

November 24, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Pschewww! I’ve been to that store before and it’s definitely not located in Nigeria. it’s located in Los Angeles. Guess it’s scripted afterall.

30. She

November 24, 2010 at 10:01 pm

So was this staged or did she know she was going to bump into that actress from Tyler Perrys movie “I can do bad by myself” – whachmacallher? for got her name

31. She

November 24, 2010 at 10:02 pm

So her husband is Ade Avery – ehhh – i see – so who took whose last name i know damn well her husband Ade was not born and AVERY lol

• paul

November 29, 2010 at 4:00 am

If you read correctly it says ADE KESTAR, no Ade Avery…lol

32. adjoa

November 24, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Will some of you ppl shut up, its a try out to see if people will like the show or not. Get over urself, you people act like u are so special please stop, its s good idea for a show. some of u are talking like u knw her and her husband. Shut Up and deal with it. If you don’t have nothing nice to say don’t say it at all.

• beezy

November 25, 2010 at 11:18 am

@adjoa….. you just jump in on a virtual convo & start telling pple to shut up?…. cyberspace really does give fairy wings……people have different opinions from urs? thats fine!!… take ur advice like you said “deal with it”….. very rude behaviour….

• Afro Donald

November 30, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Yes! Bad behavior! Freedom of speech, she’s right. We should have the freedom to be internet thugs, how else can we flex our frustrations!

33. Yenih

November 25, 2010 at 5:03 am

I’ve always loved Shondrella in One On One, Cutz and Girls Behaving Badly. She’s just hilarious. Isn’t that Olaide Wilson,the young Nigerian actress in Madea’s “I Can Do Bad All By Myself” playing the translator? Anyway, will def be watching the show.

34. orla.blogspot.com

November 25, 2010 at 5:05 am

fake ajegunle, african store in the US

• DOREMI

November 26, 2010 at 9:25 am

8720 Sepulveda Boulevard, CA, United States. thats d addy to be precise 😀

• Hakeem

November 30, 2010 at 12:21 pm

When I enter that country, that na the first place I dey go. Doremi watin you want, Ose dudu or frozen goat meat!

35. ndy

November 25, 2010 at 6:47 am

oh poor shondrella, those girls really cheated her out of all she bought, her husband should have had someone that he knew in nigeria accompany her. Even I that grew up in nigeria, I never go to the market alone or talk when we get there because once they hear my now foreign accent they hike up the price. She would have had more fun if she had someone who knew the market better and she could have got to a the real place to get lace, better quality lace than what she was probably sold. But really funny though, too funny.

36. jenifa

November 25, 2010 at 4:22 pm

THIS IS SO FAKE *LONG HISS* p.s that madam’s makeup is just ridiculous

37. sexy fashionista

November 25, 2010 at 7:09 pm

wo this show is such a sham like why would the girl from i can do bad all by my self be selling lace in a coner shop in lagos and “shrondrella” probably new what they were saying about her in the end of te show they will say she was a princess or some shit like that just for the show and to “shut up ” the people who were laughing at her so fake

38. THE AMAKA

November 25, 2010 at 8:35 pm

SO WE’VE BEEN SCAMMED? OH LORD!
    -_-

• Hakeem

November 30, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Watin be scammed? Na 419! That woman na Naija woman, real name Sikira Oluniji.

39. Yane Kumbin

November 26, 2010 at 12:38 am

She did go to Naija although i don’t know if some episodes of the series would shot there or not.

40. Ogba Boz

November 27, 2010 at 12:35 am

Make you na read the article wa Tolu of NEXT write, She came to Lagos!

41. Abayomi

November 27, 2010 at 12:57 am

Very interesting. Love to see more! Did anyone read the article above written by bellanaija? This woman actually came to Lagos, I heard of her being on The Beat, Classic FM and on Silverbird. Madam, do your thing! Naija people too dey complain…..

42. Ewa

November 27, 2010 at 3:06 am

damn see dis..” o de nice o, ori e o kan pe”
    they just spoint the babes name-sharndrela, cinderella…

btw, wats up with that wiman’s eyebrows, thats some serious ish

43. Zizi

November 27, 2010 at 9:22 am

Code word: MOCKumentary!!! It’s like a cross between acting and documentary but it’s supposed to provide comic relief. This is not a documentary. She is trying to entertain people and hopefully her ways won’t end up making Africa look worse. So almost everything you’ll see is acting but in a documentary and funny format.

• Hakeem

November 30, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Na only you go skool, thank you sha.

44. LAYDEE

November 27, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I thought the girl came with her ohh, had to rewatch it, if she really didn’t go to naija, it’s not funny at all mockumentary or not, a show about going to naija, sorta kinda requires that you actually GO to naija.

45. Femo

November 28, 2010 at 1:43 am

Folks read the article above. Shondrella was in the NEXT newspaper in July. Interviewed by Tolu Ogunlesi in Lagos.

46. Jo

November 29, 2010 at 3:52 am

Awesome…. cant wait to see what the mother land is really like from a Black Americans experience! I am excited to see this piolet grow into an actual reality show!

47. Jo

November 29, 2010 at 3:58 am

Awesome…. cant wait to see what the mother land is really like from an Black Americans experience! I am excited to see this pilot grow into an actual reality show!

48. Jeri Pollyea

November 29, 2010 at 6:53 am

Shondrella!
    You are so fabulous! I cannot wait to see this incredible show! I know you will be able to tell us all about Africa and the people in Nigeria. Thank you for doing this for all of us who do not know as much as we should. Please do this soon! The people of the USA need to know about people all over the world and how we truly are connected. Sending you much love!

JP

49. Lindsay Kent

November 29, 2010 at 7:12 am

Guys, guys guys. This is a pilot, showing an idea of what COULD happen when Shondrella DOES go to Africa in the actual series. This is not a mockumentary; this is an African-American woman looking to cross the great divide between Africa and America. Just appreciate it for what it is-an opportunity to show the world what an amazing place like Africa has to offer…which, by the way, here in the US has NOT been properly portrayed in the media! I hope you will enjoy the Shondrella Adventures, I certainly will!!!

50. HOOD HEFNER

November 29, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Queen Shondrella, go to your destiny! May God bless you with all your lovely heart desires.You are truely a Queen. ps bring back a robe or sumtin! Lol! ~HOOD HEFNER

51. cyindy

November 29, 2010 at 4:50 pm

how can u she get married to a guy she have never been to their country. so she doesn’t know her in-law. americans u guys need to get yourself to together and start thinking

• Hakeem

November 30, 2010 at 12:34 pm

9ja no give am VISA, that’s why!

52. Sumtin n LA

November 29, 2010 at 11:31 pm

I love when the girl say’s ” It’s like a Dance. I say Sumtin then you say Sumtin.” Classic. I just love the rhythm of Africa, it beats in line with mother earth. Am so proud to see my people, we finally have a Shaman to explain what we have missed for so long. Haiti, Brazil, Panama and The Caribbeans Sumtin is cooking.

53. Neighbor

November 30, 2010 at 1:52 am

She resemble Stephanie Okereke. Wetin be all this Africa talk sef, people wey dey Africa sef no know their history proper. Siddon read for America jo.

54. guest

November 30, 2010 at 11:02 am

hsssss… this is Los Angeles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX4N4a15do4

55. Afro Donald

November 30, 2010 at 11:40 am

Thanks Guest, am heading to this African Spot. I love Nigerian food, thank you for the link. Can’t wait for the show to air, hopefully it airs in the US. I did not know that Africans did not know their own history @Neighbor, that’s surprising. I guess this show is bringing out more than we thought it would. Some folks are taking the world of imagination real serious…..We are one, don’t let the machine divide us.

56. Donna Johnson

December 2, 2010 at 3:28 am

Omg keep it going queen Shondrella you are great and God will see you through…