News

Tackling Domestic Violence, Drug Abuse & Human Trafficking: Uche Jombo presents “The Damage Movies”

BellaNaija.com

Nollywood actress/screenwriter has just launched her movie studio – Uche Jombo Studios. The first project from UJ Studios is an ambitious and socially conscious project. A collection of three movies with distinct yet interwoven stories called “The Damage Movies“. Uche was a nominee for Actor of the Year at the 2011 Future Awards and shared that while at the event, she was moved and inspired to do something great and make a positive impact. “The Damage Movies” is aimed at advocacy for social issues, each story addresses important problems affecting individuals, families and societies at large.

The first movie to be released is “Damage“, the movie stars Uche Jombo and Kalu Ikeagwu as a married couple in an abusive relationship. According to the official synopsis; “Damage” deals with the issue of domestic violence and the psychological effect it could have especially on the children. A man and his wife love each other immensely yet their day to day life can only be described as a ‘cat and mouse’ situation as they fight violently almost on a daily basis.

Watch the trailer for “Damage”:

Up next is “My Life, My Damage” starring Tonto Dikeh. ‘My Life, My Damage’ deals with the consequences of drug abuse and HIV/AIDS. A young lady who lives a reckless life abroad as a drug addict is given a rude shock when she discovers that she’s HIV positive and now has to seek redemption for herself.

The final movie in the series is “My Country, Their Damage“. ‘My Country, Their Damage’ deals with the issue of human trafficking. A young and naive village girl has her dreams come true when an American returnee asks for her hand in marriage. With promises to take her abroad once she’s done with her education, the girl couldn’t have asked for a better future. But alas on getting there, she realises that all that glitters isn’t exactly gold.

This ambitious project will include screenings around the world and submissions for international film festivals. With 2Face singing for NAFDAC and many Nigerian stars including eLDee and Banky W rallying youth to vote; it is so impressive that one of Nollywood’s biggest stars is embarking on this project.

The first movie in the series, “Damage” will launch in 2011.
To find out more about the movies, www.damagemovie.com.

1. ola

April 12, 2011 at 1:42 pm

nice project i must say

2. Ms. JB

April 12, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I am so proud of Nollywood. I like the way they pay attention to their story lines these days. Women really need to be informed about domestic violence cos usually, they are just ashamed to speak up.
    Great job, Uche!
    I just did a post on marriage myself… http://janylbenyl.blogspot.com/2011/04/would-you-like-to-wear-that-ring.html#more

• YeahIsaidit

April 12, 2011 at 4:45 pm

“Pay Attention ke?” Is that so – how many of THEM are paying attention to their story lines, and who exactly are the THEY – name them number them – dont make a statement to make is sound its the majority of nollywood. All this pampering and praising is what is what causing them not to improve – speak the truth. Uche is done well but dont praise all of em like majority of them were doing well. Those doing well i can count on my fingers

3. cathy

April 12, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Good work uch gurl.

4. partyrider

April 12, 2011 at 1:52 pm

impressive..
    the trailer looks very good,cant wait for its release.
    nice one uche,keep working..we dey ur back

5. polka

April 12, 2011 at 2:00 pm

nice..

6. Straight4ward

April 12, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Really looking forward to seeing this….

7. cdot

April 12, 2011 at 2:10 pm

wow! that was impressive! very great work

8. Eve

April 12, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Good project This Uche is very intelligent i love her Keep up
    A Fan from Cameroon
    Bisous

9. THE AMAKA

April 12, 2011 at 2:32 pm

A BREATH OF FRESH AIR!!! Nollywood is def stepping it up! cant wait!

10. N.jones

April 12, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Wow ooooo, girls are not smiling ooooo as we say it in warri, this is good, I have always knew uche jombo is on a whole new level. Nice one, good to see the new nollywood movement of acts that are running “things” work, thank God for Glo oooooo but looks like it’s just desmond Elliot, Ini edo, funke Akindele, Jim Iyke And Uche jombo thats putting their money back to nollywood……hope not, the rest of the Glo ambassadors should follow and do great productions ….looking forward to that, well done jombo…..this is a step in the right direction

11. Deee

April 12, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Impressive…i hope its as good as it sounds.

12. Tiki

April 12, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I like the idea…now I hope it has a smooth and commensurate transition from paper to big screen. More grease to your elbow, UJ Studios and team!

13. Tiki

April 12, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Goodness gracious! I just watched the trailer, and it gave me goosebumps! Can’t wait for the trilogy…

14. baby kayyyy

April 12, 2011 at 4:09 pm

impresive…but pls storylines need to be different, must sbdy that contact HIV have led a reckless life???

• Tiki

April 12, 2011 at 5:28 pm

No, but 95% of the people who habe HIV, indeed led reckless lives…and reckless doesn’t mean habitual drug use, or prostitution, etc…a careless ‘full contact’ one-night stand is as reckless as they come…

• Sabirah

April 13, 2011 at 5:09 am

Pls where did you get this 95% statistic? needless to say I disagree…
      @baby kayy I agree i would like to see more instances of people getting HIV in different ways

15. 'Mina

April 12, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Wow! I am impressed. I just never get to watch home videos but for you Uche Jombo,I’d make an exception! I think these movies are gonna be cool.. Thumbs up ma’am

16. Bridget

April 12, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Great & interesting, kip it up Uche,

17. Fifi

April 12, 2011 at 4:37 pm

hmmmmnnn…..

18. http://dakkylove.blogspot.com/

April 12, 2011 at 5:12 pm

extremely proud of uche…who knew right. her studios seems to be going in a good direction we,ve had enough of the cosmetic insensible movies being spurned out , i am glad uche is taking this route will definitely be waiting for this one

19. donchaknockityet

April 12, 2011 at 5:40 pm

aaaah..me likeit likeit…can’t even shout!

20. akudo

April 12, 2011 at 5:59 pm

why am i not suprised???? i have always known uche to be a goal getter. three movies at a stretch, dat’s an achievement girl, cant wait to see it. thumbs up UC, make us proud!!!

21. uchechi

April 12, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Interesting, great initiative..kudos!

22. pam

April 12, 2011 at 6:52 pm

“apologize!!!APOLOGIZE TO THIS WOMAN RIGHT NOW o_O!!!!” police guy : -__- the -….

23. N.jones

April 12, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Wow! Just visited the website and I must say Uche Jombo and her team are trendsetters. Cinemas and Online only? What a novelty concept! I wish you all the success you and your team deserve.

24. NNENNE

April 12, 2011 at 9:39 pm

What drew me to nollywood was because it told African stories and brought African issues out in the open. Unfortunately most of their movies have become very vulga recently. The same reason most us have tried to watch less of western movies.

Way to go Uche, so far it seems the story lines will be all about us. A Nigerian story!!
    We are craving for general audience movies, and that our movies get rated. Sometimes when U buy a general audience movie, they will place graded R movies clips ,as a commercial, before the main movies. Most Ghanian movies are like this and are advertised right before more subtle nollywood movies. I find it offensive. PLEASE NOLLYWOOD RATE OUR MOVIES WELL!!!

25. Tokunbo

April 13, 2011 at 11:27 am

Impressive, uche has really stepped up big time!

26. EKENE

April 13, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I admire this woman’s initiative. I wish I can lay hands to funds. She is not all about recieving pay as an actress, but contributing to its development, and probably making bigger bucks.

27. May

April 13, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Love it….. The trailer looks really good……. cant wait for the movies to be released! Nice one Uche!

28. Ruth

April 13, 2011 at 4:50 pm

first of all i am impressed with the message it tends to potray. i like the fact that it is different and it something we can relate to. Creating awareness of some salient issues whichunfortunately most of our movies have lost. That is the much i can say now and i hope that the movie is able to capture the message. However, it is a step in the right direction. Kudos

29. Temi

April 14, 2011 at 8:20 am

I’ve always known Uche has it in her. Im wellb proud of her and her colleagues…

30. anonymous

April 14, 2011 at 2:13 pm

nice concept…. but i dont agree with the part where the policeman was harrased…

31. adnyl

April 18, 2011 at 12:01 pm

thank you for coming with a movie of modern relativity. you have a fan for life in chicago…my husband is from Ghana respectfully but i really admire your courage and stance! keep up the good work look forward to seeing it on video and getting all my girlfriends to watch!! much love

32. Roli

April 18, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Uche has again proved that she;s a hard worker.
    I must say, Kalu’s done a fantasstic acting job

33. Jones

April 19, 2011 at 2:01 am

Way 2 go! The damage movie site is wowooooooooo. I love this new nollywood “thing” uche and most of her fellow GLO ambassadors, vivan ejike and Emem isong has going for them. Am I the only one who thinks the female nollywood filmmakers are on fire? Check d list…Stephanie okereke, uche jombo, vivan ejike, Ini edo, Funke akindele, Keke of Inale movie, chineze anyaene of Ije movie and the royal queen of female movie making world of nollywood Emem isong……where the men at? And I mean good/ great movies not those 1 movie turn into 6movies

34. Pingback: Watch the New Trailer for “Damage” – The stirring new movie featuring Uche Jombo & Kalu Ikeagwu | Bella Naija

35. James Young

January 4, 2014 at 6:15 am

I saw the trailer of My Life, My Damage, nice movie it make sense for me, because some people today experiencing trials in life trying to forget it by engaging to habits that will ease their pain for a while especially drugs, but they don’t know that through this much bigger problem will come. I congrats all of the people who are responsible for this masterpiece, I hope and I pray many people will realize that drugs is not the solution for their problems.
    BellaNaija.com keeps us updated about this kind of movie…. Thank you in advance …..