In recognition of the abundance of creativity and business potential in the Nigerian fashion and design industry, Style House, in association with Lagos State, has partnered with MTN to launch the MTN Lagos Fashion & Design Week 2011 (MTN LFDW 2011). MTN Nigeria, being Nigeria’s leading telecommunications provider is the headline sponsor of the Fashion Week, thus harnessing their position in the Industry as leaders. According to Kola Oyeyemi – GM Consumer marketing, “MTN is not only in the business of selling airtime rather the business is committed to delivering her brand promise by enriching the lives of her customers via exciting and engaging platforms that connect with the passions of her customers. Fashion in Nigeria is a growing industry and there is a need to develop young talents who are vital in the development of Nigeria’s economy”.
The event will target an audience of young, socially conscious and upwardly mobile members of the society. Individuals from the fashion industry such as designers, models, stylists, photographers and make up artists, are also expected to attend.
This event aims to create a platform for Nigeria’s innovative designers and entrepreneurs to present their work before a focused target audience – a vital tool for the creative development of the industry and its positioning in the Nigerian economy. It will support:
• Multiple daily runway shows from various designers who will present their new collections to a dedicated audience of potential buyers, retailers and the press during the four (4) day period
• A Design Exhibition over the 4 Day period will also showcase the best of design – fashion, textile, jewellery, interior, product, photography and innovative products
• MTN LFDW awards – co – sponsored by British Council, is an initiative that aims to promote the development and growth of creatives in the industry by nurturing, fine tuning and harnessing their skills as well as providing them with a solid platform for achieving their goals.
MTN LFDW 2011 Awards
As part of MTN’s commitment to enriching lives, MTN, supported by British Council, is providing a learning experience and capacity building for people in the fashion
industry. MTN LFDW 2011 awards is giving designers, fashion entrepreneurs and models a chance to compete for the
• MTN British Council Young Creative Entrepreneur of the Year Awards
• MTN British Council Young Designer of the Year Awards;
• MTN Model of the Year Award
MTN British Council Young Creative Entrepreneur of the Year Awards aims to promote entrepreneurship and provide support for the growing Fashion Industry in Nigeria. It is open to:
- Fashion, textile, accessories or perfume design and production
- Fashion promotion: shows, exhibitions, festivals, events
- Fashion presentation: styling, photography
- Fashion retail: buying, merchandising
- Fashion product research, sourcing, supply chain management
- Fashion marketing, PR, branding, communications, journalism, and publishing
• Applicants must be between 21 to 40 years
• Have at least three years of work experience in the fashion sector
• Display entrepreneurial skills through promotion of the Nigerian fashion industry in either a commercial context, public context, or both.
• Demonstrate leadership potential in the fashion industry through your character, drive and abilities.
• Applicants who are primarily academics are unlikely to be short-listed or successful.
• A star prize of N1,000,000 (One million naira) presented by MTN Nigeria to the winner
• A tour of London Fashion Week and Design Week London by British Council
• Networking workshops facilitated by British Council
MTN British Council Young Designer of the Year Award
• Designer must be under 30 years of age at the time of application
• Designers will be required to send sample sketches of their work and samples of finished garments
• Designers must be fully trained or have sufficient knowledge of fashion design
• Designers must not have had an opportunity to market their own collections
• Designers must be capable of developing and presenting their own designs for MTN Lagos Fashion and Design Week
• A star prize win of a brand new Hyundai Jeep valued at N4,000,000 presented by MTN Nigeria to the winner
• Opportunity for 12 finalists to present a collection at MTN Lagos Fashion and Design Week 2011
• Master classes facilitated by British Council to harness skills of the 12 finalist for MTN LFDW 2011
MTN Model of the Year
• between the ages of 15 and 22
• must not be a registered model or have a modelling contract
• 5 feet 8inches tall (minimum)
• have photos to send
• experience – a minimum 6 months and maximum of 12 months)
• ready to be an international ambassador
• N1,000,000 (One Million) cash prize donated by MTN Nigeria
• Training and grooming session for the 12 finalists provided by Beth Models
• Contract with Beth Africa Modelling Agency and winner also gets a chance to enter for Beth Model’s Elite Model Look Nigeria 2012
The call for entry to apply for any of the above mentioned award category is now on. Please log on to www.lagosfashionanddesignweek.com. Applicants have a chance to submit their applications between 30th of June and 24th of July when call for entry officially closes.
MTN LFDW Awards 2011 will have road shows across three states to screen short listed applicants from the Call to Entry process.
Port Harcourt: 25th and 26th July – British Council Office, 127 Olu Obasanjo Road, Port Harcourt GRA Phase 2, Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Abuja: 28th and 29th July – British Council Office Plot 3645, IBB Way, Maitama, Garki Abuja
Lagos: 2nd and 3rd August – British Council Office, 20 Thompson Avenue, Off Bourdillon, Ikoyi, Lagos, Nigeria.
These applicants will be screened by a panel of judges, well respected in various fields within the industry. Following the road shows will be Seminars and workshops for successful finalists in each of the categories except the MTN British Council Young Creative Entrepreneur of the Year – winner will be announced shortly after the screening process.
For more information please visit the MTN LFDW website: www.lagosfashionanddesignweek.com