The 2011 edition of the Ajumogobia Science Foundation (ASF) Memorial Christmas Concert will be the 6th in the series of annual fund raising concerts and will hold on Tuesday 20th December 2011 in the Shell Hall, MUSON Centre, Lagos.
The children and grandchildren of the late Mr. & Mrs. F.I. Ajumogobia in collaboration with the Science Teachers’ Association of Nigeria (“STAN”), have organised a Christmas Concert each year since 2006 in their memory. Mr. F.I. Ajumogobia, fondly called “the father of STAN in recognition of his role in founding this national association in 1957 was its inaugural president. STAN today has offices in each of the 36 states of the Federation and Abuja.
Since its inception, proceeds from the concert have gone towards awarding prizes to the highest performing secondary school Science students in the country. Last year, we also awarded prizes to the best science teachers for the first time. The recipients of the 1st Scholarship awards from this initiative (Miss Theodora Eghomare, Master Matthew Akhaze, Miss Aminat Shodipo and Master Abolanle Phillip) have now entered university and are all doing exceedingly well.
As in all previous years, the concert largely revolves around musical performances by members of the Ajumogobia family. The Steve Rhodes Orchestra and Adrenalin Band together with a 75-strong Choir conducted by Benneth Ogbeiwi will also be in attendance. Gloria Rhodes, Ige, Julius Nglass, Yinka Davies, Emi Briggs, Soboma Ajumogobia, Odein Ajumogobia SAN, Awuneba Ajumogobia, Feni Ajumogobia, Nene Ajumogobia, Awune Ajumogobia, Otokini Ajumogobia, Ibiai Ani, Opunimi Akinkugbe, Akinkunle Akinkugbe, Kaline Akinkugbe and Dolapo Akinkugbe will also be performing.
Yinka Akinkugbe will anchor the evening.
The aims and objectives of the Foundation are as follows:
- To award Science Scholarships to the best male and female students in the final JSS3 and SS3 examinations;
- To establish and present prizes for excellence in Science teaching;
- To establish a fund aimed at:
- supporting women in science;
- research and development in science, technology and the environment; and
- development of science education in general;
- To support the construction of STAN Place (a permanent national secretariat for STAN);
- To organize and host an annual ASF lecture.
The 6th Annual Ajumogobia Science Foundation (ASF) Memorial Christmas Concert
Date: Tuesday 20th December 2011
Time: Matinee at 2.30pm | Evening performance at 6.30pm
Venue: MUSON Centre, Onikan Lagos
Dress code: Dazzling
Tickets are available at the following venues:
• The Daisy Management Centre, No. 8 Idowu Martins Street, Victoria Island
• MUSON Centre, Onikan
• Quintessence, Falomo Shopping Centre, Awolowo Road, Ikoyi
• Terra Culture, Plot1376 Tiamiyu Savage St, Off Ahmadu Bello Way, Victoria Island
Ticket Prices: Adults – N7,000 | Children – N5,000
In addition to purchasing a ticket, you can support this initiative in any or all of the following ways:
- Issue a cheque in favour of “The ASF Memorial Concert”
- Please write your name, address and telephone number on the back of the cheque and forward in the enclosed self-addressed envelope.
- Place an advert in the special concert program brochure
- Offer of vacation job/internship or industrial attachment opportunities to winners of the scholarship award.
- Buy a commemorative journal. The commemorative photo journal of 5 years in pictures will be on sale at a cost of N2,500 at the concert. Proceeds from the sale of these items will of course also go towards funding the objectives of the Foundation.
Ajumogobia Science Foundation (ASF) Memorial Christmas Concert team looks forward to hosting you at yet another joyous family evening of seasonal, traditional, choral and classical music that perfectly captures the essence of Christmas – family values and giving back to our community.