News

6 Nigerians with Valid Travel Documents Denied Entry into Egypt

The deportation of Nigerians at the point of entry into foreign countries despite their possession of valid travel documents has again sparked up an uproar among citizens.

Recently, six Nigerians were refused entry into Egypt by immigration officials and were forced to return via the Ethiopian Airline that airlifted them.

According to the account of one of the Nigerians, Sekinat Abiola, she said she was granted a valid 3-month-visa at the Egyptian Embassy in Lagos, but intended to stay for two weeks since her business would only last that long.

“I was asked what I was here for and I said business, then the officer asked for my BTA (Basic Travel Allowance), which was $3000, and I showed him,” she said. “Then he looked at my visa and said ‘Lagos Nigeria, No, No, No’, and asked me to go to the left were I met other Nigerians who were told the same thing. We left Nigeria on Sunday and were kept in a room till today (Tuesday) without food, water, or bed to sleep. This is the second time they are doing this.”

Another member of the team, who gave his name as Mr F. A. Babatunde, said: “They told me to go back and get another visa. I asked if the one I had now was fake because I got it from their embassy at Abuja. The official did not answer. All these countries are doing this because of the money they get from visas. If a senator was not in that South African plane, do you think Nigeria would have reacted? The Nigerian embassy in Egypt knows about this entire thing but they will not do anything, since we are ordinary Nigerians. My visa was signed and stamped by the consul.”

It is not clear how many Nigerians are being refused entry into other foreign countries daily even with their valid travel documents, but surely it happens and the citizens feel sorely discriminated upon.

Nigerians are still licking their wounds caused by the deportation of 125 Nigerians aboard South African Airways and Arik Air flights in March this year. The travelers were refused entry into South Africa for alleged failure to provide genuine yellow fever vaccination documentation.

“We left Nigeria on Sunday and were kept in a room till today (Tuesday) without food, water, or bed to sleep.” This inhumane treatment from immigration officials in yet another African country is a bitter pill to swallow.

What do you think about the deportation of Nigerians from Egypt? Have you ever had such an experience or do you know anyone who has? What could be the reasons behind refusing Nigerians entry into foreign countries despite their possession of valid traveling documents?

Also, what can the Nigerian government do to prevent such treatment of its citizens abroad?

Please share your thoughts.

News Source: Daily Times

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. tellingitasis

May 9, 2012 at 6:27 am

It is a pathetic situation though I have never experienced such happen to me. The Nigerian government need to do something about this problem fast. That being said, these unfortunate incidences should also serve as a warning to Nigerians. Many years ago when I still lived in Nigeria, Nigerians will treat any non-black person like a demi god. In fact, there were several instances where a Nigerian will treat a fellow Nigerian so badly while treating an “oyibo” with alot of respect and kindness. It is not news that most Nigerians treat foreigners, black or white, better than they treat their fellow compatriots. So this should serve as an eye opener to we Nigerians. While we treat foreigners like demi gods in Nigeria, we in turn are treated like crap when we travel outside our shores.

2. Nk

May 9, 2012 at 6:52 am

My thought exactly!!!! … There’s soooooo many controversies going on with Nigeria n Nigerians this days!!!! (SIGHS) …. I wonder when this is going to end!
    Lebanese is our “oyinbo”.

• UsaveOne

May 9, 2012 at 10:42 am

Indeed Lebanese are Oyibos in Nigeria…shame! However as i am writing this, many Nigerians with Valid visas have been denied transit passage at *Germany* Frankfurt Airport! *weep*weep*weep*!
      Nigerians are fast becoming endangered species!

3. jbaby

May 9, 2012 at 8:27 am

na waa o! This is such a show of shame, i’m almost sure that the cause of this is because of the unstable nature of security in the country. Maybe they feel it all nigerians that are boko haram memmbers, u never can tell. Nigerians too should put in place laws that wont grant access to thugs and criminals into this country. Cos i feel that is now this menace has spread in nig.

4. FYI

May 9, 2012 at 8:45 am

Contrary to popular belief, that you hold a valid visa to enter a country does not guarantee you entry into that country. Entry clearance is at the discretion of the immigration officials at the point of entry. It is not unusual for people to be denied entry into a country even when they hold a valid visa…be they Nigerian or of any other nationality.

That said, Nigerians don’t make life easy for themselves. Recently ther has been an epidemic of sorts of Nigerians absconding from hotels in the UAE without settling their bills. For that reasons, most hotels in the region no longer sponsor visas for Nigerian nationals. While it may be unfair for people to tar all Nigerians with the same brush, our reputation is not unfounded and as we attempt to tackle discrimination, we must also tackle the bad eggs amongst us that give us a bad name.

• FYI

May 9, 2012 at 9:04 am

Forgive the typos, rush job.

• Nike

May 9, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Forget the typos, I agree with your comment. We Nigerians love to cry over spilled milk but we are so unruly, and ill-mannered. There are many times I wish I could kick Nigerians out of other people’s countries because they are just a bunch of shameless embarrassments.

• Royal

May 9, 2012 at 11:30 am

Nice analysis from all! I can only say Nigerians should channel their energy to making Nigeria a better place. When everything works in our there country, many will give us the respect we “think” we deserve. It is nice to expect the best of other countries but, if I may ask, charity begins at home. Who would believe there are sane people from such a country with potentials, yet languishing in spualor, untamed corruption, wanton destruction of national pride/symbols, you name it.

We are a great people with great cultures and a great future, yet we are destroying all that is ours on the alter of selfishness and greed. All these and many more contribute the the treatment we receive outside our shores. I only think all this tells us that there is need for us to build our own country to be the giant of Africa that it is meant to be…

5. faith

May 9, 2012 at 8:51 am

u said it all…. tellingitasis……

6. Damola

May 9, 2012 at 9:43 am

Egypt is in ruins. Annd still dem dey do shakara…

• Dr Dee

May 9, 2012 at 11:32 am

While Egypt may be facing political problems presently, it is certainly NOT in ruins. You should go there and see the country yourself before saying this. The level of infrastructure and development in Cairo and other major Egyptian cities is world standard!!!!!

• toma

May 9, 2012 at 1:50 pm

is that why people should be deported despite getting visa from their embassy?

• Husman

May 9, 2012 at 5:46 pm

You need to get a Visa and come to see what is happening in Egypt 100% living standard and better off the way our Own so called Govt are treating us, we are living in Egypt and we see lots of things and mind you our Govt are the once to fight for us , the story is 50/50 becoz many Nigeria comes here without a Valid Visa and many come down here and live here for more than 10yrs without residence and still get a better job … Egypt is not Ruin stop following the Media… They only let you see or hear what they want to tell you …

• Uche

May 10, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Egypt in 2010 was reclassified as a developed country

7. Dee

May 9, 2012 at 9:53 am

Exactly! Can’t really blame them. There are Nigerians out there ruining it for other Nigerians. Also think of the ones that travel on visit visas and never leave the country they visited…. It’s not fair to those countries either.

8. LPS

May 9, 2012 at 10:13 am

@ tellingitasis God increase your wisdom for the analysis!

9. ronke

May 9, 2012 at 11:32 am

I Think it is high tym we Nigerians react to these humilination we get from all dis useless foreigners in which we dnt treat them like dat. it is very annoyin and even our so called leaders will not do anytin abt it. had it bein we do thesame tin they do to us to them, am sure all these wud av stop in a long tym but we ar just too slow about issues in dis country and that why they wont stop if we dont react. yet they will come to our country and get a contrct that is meant for a fellow Nigerian. this is really pissed

10. pynk

May 9, 2012 at 12:05 pm

People are still travelling into Egypt with the current state of things? Where wont Nigerians go sha.

11. ALmasry

May 9, 2012 at 12:57 pm

It should be clear to us that the possession of a valid visa to any country of your choice does not necessarily mean admittance into that country as some of us may believe. It is solely at the discretion of the immigration officer at the port of entry based on his wealth of experience and personal judgement to either allow your entry/ interrogate you before allowing entry or refuse you entry into that country and action is in conformity and accordance with international laws and diplomacy.
    It is also believed that most of the visas and immigration facilities obtained in Lagos, Nigeria are all Dagbo and Oluwoles hence this recent develoment I believe though. God knows best.

12. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

May 9, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Maybe because they know some former generals may be planning war on the country and they do not ant refugees in their country.

13. YY

May 9, 2012 at 1:19 pm

They don’t want refugees o

14. Som

May 9, 2012 at 1:20 pm

NO REFUGEES!

15. Lulu

May 9, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Nigeria is definitely an embarrassment. Am of the school of tot that we need to build the reputation of that country so we can regain our pride and respect…..I can bet dt wont happen to a south African or even a Ghanian, only Nigerians just bcos we’re too greedy and corrupt, na im good for them. They have to start denying even the ministers and political people too, maybe tins would start to change for the beta by then!!! Shame on Nigeria

16. kay

May 9, 2012 at 2:03 pm

i feel Nigerian ambassadors to different countries should take dis up in dre various countries

17. IGBOFILLE

May 9, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Nigeria is my dear country but unfortunately it is as rotten as you can think. We are the cause of our problems. These people are treating us this way because of the way we are. There are still good Nigerians but I have just given up on our behavior. I pray there will be a change soon cos I am also looking forward to relocating from this place soon.

18. ao

May 9, 2012 at 4:19 pm

You could not pay me to fly over Egypt or any country in the Middle East. Next.

19. Halima

May 10, 2012 at 12:02 am

I’m half Egyptian/Nigerian. I recently went to visit my dad in Egypt, and there are couple of Nigerians there. Nigerians are the most traveled Africans, and Egyptians, other African countries have their share of interaction, experiences with Nigerians, good and bad, sometimes the bad outweighs the good. So now, many are suspicious of Nigerians because of the many bad experiences they have experienced with some bad ones. I know, you shouldn’t generalize but that’s life. The recent Boko Haram, 419scam are things that put Nigeria in a bad image. The interesting part is, Nigerians are so unaware and nonchalant about the negative news coming from their country. So, instead of Nigerians getting angry, this should be a wake up call for the Nigerian government to fix, improve the country. I will say this, it’s not all the time Nigerians are welcoming to others like they like to claim, so let’s not act like a certain group always show love and the other group return hatred. Nigerians have a lot of things they need to work on too to get their good reputation back. The reality is, there are more Nigerians in other countries than many foreigners in Nigeria. So, Nigerians haven’t truly experienced the bad side of these foreigners as much as other countries have experienced Nigerians.

• steve peters

December 30, 2016 at 6:21 pm

great.! hope to visit soon, very well written.

20. alexricharer

May 10, 2012 at 7:52 am

Good Information…!!

21. Uche

May 10, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Maybe they are concerned that some phallus wielding senator-paedophile could come over and marry a girl- child and take her back to Nigeria where it is acceptable and leave her at the mercies of urethro-vaginal fistula. Shame …

22. Vic

May 10, 2012 at 5:48 pm

@ Halima Good point.
    We are in a state of denial, we don’t want to accept how our actions is affecting the country as a whole. They have their rights, it’s their country. We can’t blame other countries for their opinion about us, there’s some truth to it. I just wish out leaders can wake up from their sleep and do something about it especially the security and creating more job opportunities.

23. waleed Raja

June 7, 2012 at 2:38 pm

i am a togoleese but i feel for Nigerians bcz this is not good behavior from egyptians. My take on this issue is if u dont want them dont issue d visa in d 1st instance… bcz thr is no justification for denied entry to sm1 wth a valid visa who has no security restriction on him & also ur countries r not at war but hav good cordial relations. in this case Egypt is wrong. but its left for Nigerians to decide thier best way to respond…. bcz thr was no justification for d egyptian actions

24. Maree

July 17, 2012 at 7:00 pm

I honestly think it will never change with you nigerians…all over the world you are degraded to 5th clas citizens (my husband also) and its the foulth of your shameless corrupted people that rule the country and dont do nothing to help their citizen. I sent document TO NIGERIAN EBMASSY IN HUNGARY AND THE 25 USD I PUT IN THE PASSPORT WENT MISSING…Imaggine where the country is going if the people who were suposed to be of a help for nigerians abroad, steal from them… i am extreemy disapoined!

25. Olaide

September 23, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Pls how can i apply for the Visa to Egypt from Nigeria

26. ADEMOLAADESHINA

September 24, 2014 at 5:31 pm

The truth is that Nigerians are not welcome in most country even if they have good felid visas, because the problem is our government, if the call government did what Nigeria youth want I don’t think people will be going out there struggling as they are doing right now,,

Nigerian government do to prevent such treatment of its citizens abroad at all even our embassies are not welcome Nigerians if such problem append in abroad ?

The big solution to this its we Nigerians have to wake up we need big revolution to change what is bad to good because our government in general are totally bad and we have to stop this if not there is no future for the youths

27. Jafaru

November 10, 2014 at 12:13 am

We can keep pointing finger at the government but nothing will change if we do not change ourselves and our communities.

Nigerians all over the world have soiled our reputation. they can be from a different tribe or town but all that matters to outsiders is that we carry the green passport.

28. omolola

April 13, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Pls,I think the same is happening again. Just about 2:30pm yesterday by friend boarded a flight to cairo and up till now we have haven’t heard anything from him. His frined who was supposed to welcome him at the airport waited for him but hasn’t seen him. His family does not know his where about now . Nigerians should not be treated in this manner ,not for any reason at all. Even if he would be deported,the immigration officials should please not starve him .

29. nice

May 16, 2015 at 10:47 pm

I don’t think this can everly be stop at cairo cos it as happened to me twice at the point of entry at cairo, the fact is that they just don’t want to see that our green passport for the fct that one with there visa our govt need to act on this issue, infact while been deported a female Nigerian collapse and die at the airport over there, you won’t understnd not until you go through such bad experience.

30. Sean

July 1, 2016 at 10:33 am

Only Nigeria can produce Scammers and corruption what it’s really wrong with our mother’s land Nigeria

31. Frank

January 6, 2017 at 7:29 am

Rather than go through that stress, Nigerians should avoid those countries that treat Nigerians badly. They can visit other countries that treat them with more respect. Those countries still exist. I was planning a sight seeing tour of Cairo and Luxor in Egypt, but with what I have read, I have decided to jettison that plan. I will look out for other places where I can spend my hard earned money in peace. The Egyptians can keep their country while I take my money elsewhere.