News

Meet Bassey Akan of “LushStrands Blog” – the Nigerian Girl with Waist Length Hair! Find Out How She Did It & How You Can Say “Bye Bye to Brazilian Hair” as You Do It Too

Lushstrands Akan Bassey Hair Growth Post - February 2013 - BellaNaija003

One of the major issues that African women face in terms of beauty and style is hair care, more precisely hair growth and maintenance.

In many attempts to grow our natural hair there have been a lot of failed attempts and rumoured concoctions including peanut butter and beer, palm oil and flour, vinegar and pepper and even urine (eek!)…the list goes on and it gets even more ridiculous.

The simple truth is that contrary to popular belief – African hair is simply fabulous! It grows in its natural or relaxed state. With this knowledge it is easy to actually take out the time and dedication you need to get your hair to whatever length you wish. It is a possible battle to win and instead of spending large amounts of money buying, fixing and maintaining artificial hair, you could spend less than half of that developing your natural tresses.

To further convince you that growing your hair is possible, we found a Nigerian girl who did just that! Bassey Akan runs the LushStrands Blog – http://lushstrands.blogspot.com/. She successfully grew her hair to an impressive waist length in 9 months. Keep reading for some tips and insight to how you can grow yours.

***

There is a general misconception that only mixed race African women can grow really long hair. Tell us about your heritage.
I am purely Nigerian. My Dad is from Akwa Ibom and my mum from Cross River.

Why did you decide to “grow” your hair ?
While in University, there were several black girls who had naturally long hair. Granted they were all mixed but I just felt that there was no logical reason why I couldn’t have long hair too. I mean, my hair was growing. The fact that I had to get my roots done every 6 to 8 weeks was proof that my hair was growing so it was only logical to expect my hair to get longer over time. However, as is the case with some of us, my hair was a perpetual chin length bob.

I started researching black hair care, stopped depending on my stylist and started learning how to care for my hair myself and within weeks I was seeing results. This motivated me to keep going and I haven’t looked back since.

With respect to the procedure, it can be categorized in 3 ways:
a) Technique: Making sure to comb gently, choosing protective/low manipulation styles, detangling only while wet and saturated with conditioner, combing from tip to root, wrapping with a silk scarf at night, moisturizing and sealing the hair often.

b) Products: Making sure to use products that meet my hairs needs. I have very dry hair so using moisturizing and lubricating products is key for me to prevent breakage.

c) Tools: Making sure to use the right tools e.g wide toothed combs with no seams or rough edges that can snag and/or rip my hair, using only high quality hot tools that distribute heat evenly and using very sharp scissors when trimming to prevent jagged edges which can cause split ends etc…

Lushstrands Akan Bassey Hair Growth Post - February 2013 - BellaNaija004

Talking about tools, products and techniques, how did you get your hair to grow so long?
Using the right product is a very important part of growing your hair out. However, there are so many great products out there and what works for one person may not necessarily work for the other. There is a bit of trial and error required to determine what really works for your hair. The key thing for black hair and especially relaxed hair is to keep the hair moisturized and lubricated. It is worth noting that oil does not moisturize hair, water does, so it is important to wet and condition (co wash) your hair at least once a week. Look for shampoos and conditioners that are moisturizing and listen to your hair because again, what works for one person may not necessarily work for another.

Protective styling has also helped me a lot. Protective styling is basically styling your hair in a way that the ends are tucked in and protected from the elements (wind/air, friction with clothes, extreme temperatures etc). This way you are able to retain moisture and prevent breakage. Wigs, buns and sew in weaves are all protective styles.

Generally when women decide to grow their hair they go natural. What do you think?
I love that I am seeing a lot more women going natural. It’s not yet as widespread and acceptable as I would like but I think we are getting there. In my opinion, natural hair is healthier and stronger than relaxed hair and has a better chance of growing longer (once you understand how to safely detangle).

From your blog, we can see that you still have how- to videos and styling tips for artificial hair even though your hair is long. Is that a preference for you or is there something more to it?
It’s a number of things. I wear wigs because they are a way to protect and give my hair a break. It also allows me the option of wearing different styles.

Lushstrands Akan Bassey Hair Growth Feature - February 2013 - BellaNaija005

What do you think about the fact that African women all over spend such large amounts of money on weaves and maintenance?
You know, I think it’s fine. I wear weaves, wigs and extensions too. I don’t think there is anything wrong with it. I just think that weaves should be an option, not a necessity. We should be able to wear our own hair out too and feel just as beautiful or maybe even more beautiful than when we wear weaves.

Weather affects hair growth a lot. When you’re out of the country how do you deal with that?
I am in Canada right now and the Canadian winter can be really hard on hair. It is extremely drying, so is the harmattan. I keep my hair from drying out by co washing, oiling with extra virgin olive oil twice a week and protective styling as much as possible.

How well do your nails grow? because a lot of the nutrients that support hair growth do the same for nails.
Oh yes, nutrients that help in nail growth also help in hair growth. I did at some point take hair, skin and nails vitamins and I noticed a difference but I couldn’t sustain taking all those pills so I stopped. I would say that my nails grow at the average rate.Lushstrands Akan Bassey Hair Growth Feature - February 2013 - BellaNaija011

Have you ever cut your hair?
Lots of times. I have had many set backs mostly from bad relaxers and incompetent stylists that required me to cut several inches off my hair. I even had the “Toni Braxton” cut in secondary school. lol.

Healthy hair growth benefits a lot from good diet. Did you have to change your diet to achieve your goal of waist length hair?
No, I didn’t change my diet. I have always been health conscious, I get lots of protein (egg, milk, chicken, fish) and fruits. I did take hair skin and nail supplements for a while and it did help, but it is always better to get your nutrients from food rather than from supplements.

There are pictures on your blog that show you with ombre dyed hair. How does that compare to dying natural hair and would you advice against it when growing hair?
I have never died my hair. Bleaching relaxed hair is so counter productive if you are trying to grow it out so opt for a wig instead.

Lushstrands Akan Bassey Hair Growth Feature - February 2013 - BellaNaija019

What brand of hair care products and tools do you use?
I used to use Herbal Essence’s ‘Hello Hydration’ shampoo and conditioner. However, I have recently switched to the L’oreal ‘Ever Pure’ sulfate free line because it is gentler on my hair and the shampoo is less drying.

A major problem that African women face, especially after braiding and excessive fixing, is they begin to loose hair along their hairline and in length. What do you advice can be done regarding this?
Braiding and fixing can actually help growth if done properly. Just make sure the braids/cornrows are not too tight, make sure to keep your hair moisturized, don’t use extensions that are too heavy because the weight of the extensions pulling on your hair can cause follicle damage especially around the hairline. (human hair is usually much lighter than synthetic so opt for human hair if you can)

How have the people around you reacted to your hair and the fact that it has gown so long?
I get all kinds of reactions. Some people marvel at the fact that my hair is so long, others insist that I am mixed race. Some are even convinced that I have “hidden tracks” or some kind of new age weave technology.

Lushstrands Akan Bassey Hair Growth Feature - February 2013 - BellaNaija015

Different hairstyles affect hair growth in different ways, do you have a specific way you like to style your hair?
Lace wigs (glueless) are probably my favorite. Primarily because they are so easy; I just wear it and go. It literally takes me 5 mins to do. It is also very flexible, I can have straight black hair today and curly brown hair tomorrow. It’s very convenient.

Lushstrands Akan Bassey Hair Growth Feature - February 2013 - BellaNaija020

What is your number 1 tip for growing hair?
Keeping it simple. I don’t experiment with products much. Once I find what works, I stick with it. I also don’t do elaborate hairstyles that require a lot of manipulation. Honestly, the key is to just moisturize, lubricate and leave your hair alone. Hair is constantly growing, that’s all it does. It’s up to us to make sure that it doesn’t break off. That’s the key to retaining length. Another thing I have to stress is to detangle and comb very gently, this is so important and it is where a lot of us go wrong. Combing recklessly causes hair to break off at weak points of the hair shaft. This causes thin uneven ends and the need for frequent trimming which impedes length retention.

A lot of people would get to read this, what would you like them to know?
It is possible for us to grow our hair long. We are not that different from other races. Our hair is made of the same proteins as everyone else. Our hair grows at the same rate (on average) as all other races. The only difference is our texture: kinky, curly hair is typically dry and more susceptible to breakage so we just need to apply extra care and treat our hair according to its needs. We need to reorient ourselves when it comes to how we treat our hair. A lot of us were brought up using grease in our hair, raking small toothed combs in dry hair, brushing our edges, shampooing without conditioning etc. These are all very damaging to our hair. It is now up to us to educate ourselves (and our children) on how to care for our hair. The information is out there on the internet. There are lots of blogs and Youtube videos with insightful information on how to care for our hair. I am really looking forward to seeing more African women with beautiful, lush strands of hair.

Lushstrands Akan Bassey Hair Growth Feature - February 2013 - BellaNaija013

It was a treat chatting and learning from Bassey on hair growth and the definite possibility of achieving waist length hair as African women. To find out more on how you can do this and see more of Bassey’s videos, visit http://lushstrands.blogspot.com/

***

Watch Bassey of Lushstrands waist length update video here

Watch the BritPopPrincess video which challenged Bassey to grow her hair

1. miss posh

February 25, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I want!!!!!!

• shells

February 26, 2013 at 1:59 am

BN…please tell this babe to go and advertise her hair to hair companies to be featured in their adverts. olive oil, motions, dark n lovely, etc…she would be grabbed like hot cake…

2. giggy

February 25, 2013 at 12:22 pm

amazing results… would like to try your method though my hair is shoulder length at the moment. checking out your blog in a bit.

3. Africhic

February 25, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I want to know more, I’ve tried and tried alas no long hair. Now I’m transitioning to my natural hair its been 15months since my last relaxer treatment.

4. Tsarah!

February 25, 2013 at 12:24 pm

The Nigerian terrain isn’t hair growth friendly joh! Shampooing twice a week and all those rituals? Almost impossible for the average working class lady! Where’s the time? She has amazing hair though! I hope i can get around to using these tips at some point, but for now, na me and my relaxer and my hairdresser!

• bubblybliss

February 25, 2013 at 1:16 pm

If you can make time out to go to the hair dresser, surely you can make time out to wash it yourself on Saturday. It requires commitment, such excuses won’t fly. Nigerian weather is far more friendly than the cold out there. I lost my back hair while living in London. I chopped it all off and started caring more for my hair and wore wigs for the first time in my life. I’m back home now and the progress is remarkable.

• omototun

February 25, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Abeggi the I grew 5 to 6inches of natural hair while I lived in Nigeria….I would deep condition my hair while I did laundry or cooked (or working class women don’t wash/cook??) Am just asking ni o! I also had my hair mostly up in braids or would wear a wig…..

• Vexed

February 26, 2013 at 3:26 am

Go watch the video again, she doesn’t shampoo twice a week……she uses the conditioner twice a week and uses the shampoo once a month……na so una dey fail exam

• rexyyy

February 27, 2013 at 6:55 pm

she works too…she is a computer engineer

• dina

March 6, 2013 at 10:10 pm

lol, actually the Nigerian terrain is better for hair growth, the humidity and soft water all contribute to this fact. If you can sleep 30 minutes later than normal i don’t see why a conditioning rinse or even a spritz of water is impossible (condition,detangle, rinse,towel dry gently,do some damp hair loose braid,wrap a turban and sleep, not to mention it’s cheaper to make protective styles there. Hair is like skin, it won’t look after itself so give it a go. Good luck

5. molly

February 25, 2013 at 12:32 pm

wow nice! i really wish i had time for my hair. Actually i do but the problem is finding the right product to use on my hair. Especially in nigeria.

• Methinks

March 10, 2013 at 4:20 pm

extra virgin olive oil is as good as any. I’ve been using that for a while now. My hair is close to bra length

• hawa

April 13, 2013 at 1:05 pm

You can shea butter or coconut oil. It is very moisturizing for the hiar

6. Molly

February 25, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Koko Akan’s sister! I see youuuu 🙂 job well done. Your long hair is amazing

7. Kanyinulia

February 25, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Wow. This is good. Am going to try out those products she mentioned.

8. Sizzling Mommy

February 25, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Really admire her hair! Hoping to get there one day!!

9. chuchu

February 25, 2013 at 12:46 pm

real hair, real woman.

10. ejogene

February 25, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Impressive! Her hair looks really good!

11. nikky

February 25, 2013 at 12:53 pm

@ bellanaija thank you very much for this piece. i am taking serious notes.

12. Posh

February 25, 2013 at 12:55 pm

“I started researching black hair care, stopped depending on my stylist and started learning how to care for my hair myself and within weeks I was seeing results. This motivated me to keep going and I haven’t looked back since”.

These words couldn’t be further from the truth from my own experience. It was on relocating to the UK that I was forced to stop depending on hair stylists and keep enriching their pockets cos it can be quite cost intensive and more over no body can genuinely love and nurture my hair better than myself. I had to learn to retouch my hair myself. I picked interest to know about hair products for black hair growth, I started using a split remedy hair shampoo and conditioner when washing or retouching my hair to encourage retention of length, doing regular protein treatments as leave-in conditioner after each washing or retouching, I retouch my hair only once in 3 months, regularly oiling my hair almost daily to keep it moisturised and silky.
    I can proudly say my hair is uber rejuvenated, healthy and long! Yes! African hair can grow length too. All it needs is attention.
    You’re welcome

• Anne

February 25, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I did the hig chop 2 months after relocating to the Uk too. Nothing could be a bigger motivation than the thoughts of paying all those pounds fr just a weave o or braid without even adding cost of hairpiece. Its been 6 months now n i thank God fr a supporting hubby who didnt cringe at the sight of my hairless hair. The weather hasnt been easy in my natural hair but i moisturize n condition a lot. As i write this im wearing a shower cup after a hot oil treatment. i combine shea,olive n almond oils. you shd have seen the damage all these yrs of extensions n braids caused me especially 2 my hairline. Now my hair is growing perfectly. all u need os a lot of patience n dedication.

• Anne

February 25, 2013 at 3:33 pm

*hairless head* i meant 2 write. =D

• Grace

August 28, 2014 at 8:08 am

please how do i incorporate the weekily moisturizing and sundry care for hair? I also retouch every three months and i wear braids or weaves in between retouches. I desire to grow longer & fuller hair. Thanks.

13. idn1

February 25, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Nigerian ladies and hair ehn!……:-(

14. Give me that hair! *runs off to check out her blog*

15. lolly

February 25, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I think you meant “concoctions including peanut butter and beer”, not concussions…………….a concussion had to do with a head injury i think. Back to the article, Wow! hope i can have the patience and dedication to carry out her tips.

16. Ella

February 25, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Keep it up sis!!!
    i can relate to this, though it not been easy but its well worth it.
    Natural hair journey is dope***

17. seemesee

February 25, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Hair grows at different rates.Full stop. I Have dealt with hair for over 25 years. Number one reason why your hair would grow is your genes, this makes up for over 90 per cent of the reason why you can have hair this length. All other factors are just to polish what God has already given you. If you are 5 ft nothing and you have a sister who is 6ft tall, or one is dark skinned and the other is light skinned(their is very little you can do to change this). All those girls on you tube are ” misleading” in a way because none of them would be there if they had “Scanty” hair. Look after your hair, by drinking lots of water and a balanced diet, followed by any hair product that suits your own hair. Listen NOTHING can grow your hair and I mean Nothing! Sorry for dampener!!!

• Ewe

February 25, 2013 at 3:04 pm

You LIE!

• d2

February 26, 2013 at 2:30 am

l,maoooo…u just made me laff

• Posh

February 25, 2013 at 3:21 pm

In some way you are right, but listen to me….. Genetics contribute 50% not 90. The remaining 50% is all up to yourself. I had your mentality before I even gave it a try! Although I knew I was genetically endowed with considerably long hair (though not as long as this girl’s own :-)) but in reality I never believed hair was worthy of long length due to breakage, massive shredding and all and all, till I was encouraged by an honest South African young stylist here in the UK. Like you mentioned she recommended I attack the specific cause of my hair problems which in my case was over processing (over relaxing) and shredding hair, then go online and research which products attack such hair issues. I did this, started by using “repair and protect” shampoo and conditioner to make my hair texture come alive from all the processing it had undergone in the past, as well as relaxing my hair myself only once in 3 months.

After a year I saw massive results, my hair became alive but still lacking in length. Then I researched for products that encourage retention of length. This lead me to purchase an all to together new range of shampoo and conditioner. I switched to “split remedy” shampoo and conditioner and also a leave-in protein treatment which I do once every month. I avoid using straighteners on my hair ‘cos the heat damages your hair. And then I moisturise my hair like almost daily! As well as minimise use of weaves to allow the hair breathe in fresh air!

You need to see my hair now to really believe that all it takes out of you is attention and dedication.
      You’re welcome!

and conditioner

• iLife

March 2, 2013 at 9:20 am

Hi Posh,

I’ll like to give your method a try. Few questions -1. do you do the leave in conditioner bit yourself? 2) How do you style your hair on a daily basis? 3. Do you mind sharing the name of your hair products. I know it’s different for everyone but it will be a start. Thanks in advance.

• Diseye

February 25, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Exactly!!! Its genetic abeg. Look at how thick her brows are sef……It goes to show she has natural growth. Some folks have long and scanty hair while some have thick bushy short hair to it’s really about what you were blessed with!

• dede

March 3, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Hehehe….I have extremely scanty eye brows but my hair length is remarkable. I’m almost 10 inches which is close to bra length. After reading this I’m aiming for waist length. I regularly wash my hair once a week and deep-condition it. I retouch every 8 weeks. I also moisturise with water. If you have a small spray bottle it’s perfect to moisturise with water. Just aim for the roots and not necessarily on the tips of the air. The only problem I have is that I am addicted to straighteners because they help make my hair soft and flat. I also know they are bad for the hair but despite my usage my hair keeps growing. I use Olive oil root stimulator products. Can anyone advice on the perfect oil treatment???

• enkay

February 25, 2013 at 9:30 pm

guess u r a hair stylist and wouldnt want to lose ur clients.
      mine is growing

• Thelma

February 26, 2013 at 9:57 am

lol… abi o

• Mama

February 26, 2013 at 3:33 am

Seemesee u r just a Fake fake fake hair expert…of course hair grows at diff rate…duh…..that’s a no brainer madam 25 yrs exp……hair can and does grow with the right products and care so it’s not all genes…

• Gigi

February 26, 2013 at 9:35 am

Thank you…it all friggin boils down to genetics. Show me one girl who has a lot of hair and no one else I. Her family does. The truth is there is a limit to how long and how full your hair can get regardless of how much research or products you add to it. I mean think about primary school kids who all have virgin hair….some will go from primary 1 to primary 6 and can only manage to pout their hair in 3 pony tails. Wheras some will start the same primary 1 with low cut by the time they are in primary 3 they can put their hair in one solid full bush pony tail . Genetic iit is.

• Grown

April 12, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I have to agree with you. Most of the women in my mum’s family have long hair. Mine is almost 20 inches and I am very bad at taking care of it. I never do all these things and change hairdressers as soon as they annoy me which is often! Yet when I get my hair done, everyone asks for the products I use. I can only assume that it has to do with genes. My mum had very long hair and at least two of my aunties had hair that was longer than mine (till they cut it!).

• JB

August 21, 2013 at 8:53 am

They aren’t saying these products will grow your hair exactly what they mean is that to retain length you must keep your hair moisturised, the reason why some people’s hair don’t grow is bcos it breaks and it breaks becos of lack of moisture or basically lack of hair care. So we must take responsibility for our hair, the key point to this article is moisture.

• abby

January 8, 2014 at 11:11 am

God bless U 4 this comment

18. Sylvia

February 25, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Okay cover, but his voice was embellishing the lyrics, especially at the end. Such that it wasn’t sounding sad and haunting the way Rihanna sings it. Its as if she’s alone in an empty dark room, singing and crying her heart out, and you can feel her pain and the emotions. praiz made it a pretty sounding R and B song. I didn’t say he didn’t do a good cover. Oh well, the voltrons will still descend on my comment and call me a hater.

19. Neo

February 25, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Inspired!

20. BlackMagic Babe

February 25, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Good for her,but funny enough I’m not a fan of long hair,I cut mine from time to time.I can’t do without weave or braid,because it with the plaiting or twisting that give me the shine and flawless look. I’m huge fan of weave,no matter the campaign carried out against it,though not a long weave.To each his own sha!

• Ewe

February 25, 2013 at 3:05 pm

So why did you bother reading? You did see the picture of her long hair… didn’t you?

• Lola

February 25, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Lol….gbam!!

• Tata

April 15, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Lol pow!

21. kemi

February 25, 2013 at 1:23 pm

my hair grows only 3 inches every year, and i’ve been natural all my life. is this in my DNA or what? ah ahn. see hair. i also don’t believe black hair grows at the same rate as other races, there’s a reason why most black girls in nursery school or primary school have much shorter hair than other races, and not many black people get haircuts, especially when you’re trying to retain length.

• 5'5

February 25, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Like she said, products and care can let your hair grow out but it might never be as long as hers. Just like weight, hair length is genetic as well. I have friends who have even longer and thicker hair than hers and do none of those things she listed and I do them but my hair is still chin length. The average fulani maiden with extremely long hair doesnt know what co-washing is but still got longer hair than many of us. Hair growth is all in follice, is it coarse or fine? etc etc.

• Kay

March 4, 2013 at 7:56 am

Water & vitamin intake and (Heaven forbid) illness has more to do with hair growth than genes. Yes, genes affect thickness and overall potential length (DNA/ethnicity actually doesn’t mean much). Try adding more water & salad to your diet. Your thyroid can even affect hair growth. Condition your hair, don’t stress it with tons of chemicals/manipulation, and drink water/eat healthy. 🙂

22. miskimbis

February 25, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Nice but i won’t want that plenty hair,

23. kilipot

February 25, 2013 at 1:27 pm

gheun gheun! me i have made up my mind se. it is either my hair grows or it grows #noOtherOption. i have seen difference (although it can be better) in thd last 5 month i stayed off weave on and wigs I did cornrows and it paid off.

i have been doubtful of a full blooded nigerian to have long hair ( relaxed one at that) i thought we werent genetically wired for thathat my motivation just shot through the roof. YES I can have that long hair YES i will

24. Omolara

February 25, 2013 at 1:29 pm

inspiring! i want long hair o

25. YummyMummy

February 25, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I have a very thick and long hair too but after seeing this I just dont wanna be fixing weave and have braids done again,sometimes i make the vow not to but along the line i get tempted to..as I have extention done to my hair 2-3 times a year.

I dont make any effort to my hair but when I go to salon,ladies are always oohing and ahhaing about how long my hair is…Love Love the attention.

The problem with me is that I am so clueless about how to style my hair…my hands are so stiff, that I literarily bond my hair to the back but i will like to flaunt it more as it is between 12-14 inches.

26. shakethatafro

February 25, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Be careful ladies, not all hair genes are equal. Google online to help determine your hair type. What took me 4 years to grow 6 inches and get 2-3 inches past shoulder length took my friend from Benin only 2. My hair was the strong and dry African kind(4c, my edges were 3c) while hers was 3C and 4a. I will say one thing that applies to all hair types, even whites. The less stress you give your hair, the more likely you will see results. Think of your hair like your skin, there are good moments and bad moments. Certain products are harsher on the hair than others

27. BlackMagic babe

February 25, 2013 at 2:21 pm

RIP Goldie,as she is laid to rest today!

28. dont mention

February 25, 2013 at 2:23 pm

serious jotting…..thank you bella for this information , much needed. my hair got to shoulder length n just stayed there and i am wondering why, no i see all de things i do wrong, going to bookmark this page bc by august this year, my hair shud b on my back if i follow her advice…thank you so much akan n def trying dis out.
    vikkyscreed.blogspot.com

29. m.h

February 25, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Ok dis is wonderful..my man Tommy sotomayor must see dis!

30. Abimbola Dare

February 25, 2013 at 2:46 pm

my four year old has natural hair up to her mid back. Me, her mother, who pushed this child for almost 6 hours and has never gone back to my size 8, has CHOPPED front hair, with a small bald patch that shines in front.
    Certainly, minibim inherited her long hair from her daddy. I think it is a gene thing.

My natural hair ( after four long years of buying ALL the oils in the market) sits on my neck when i streeeeeeeeeeeechhhhhhh it. it is well. sigh.

• anonymous

February 25, 2013 at 5:13 pm

hahahhaa…u cracked me up big time cos i can totally relate with this. it is well. keep trying…

• Joyce

February 25, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Oh mine, you won’t kill me with laughter…

• Partyrider

February 25, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Lmaoooooooo 😀 😀

• Ada

November 2, 2013 at 3:54 am

maybe your not taking care of your hair properlly… hair
      care isn’t about the fancy oils you rub, technique and how you
      handle your hair is soo important. I hope you dont rub oil on dry
      hair thoe…that causes breakage. it’s better to do it on damp
      hair, and pay attention to the ends. 🙂 http://www.blackgirllonghair.com
      check out this site, it’s so nice it helped me out so much. (I’m
      approaching waist length.) An igbo girl owns the site, and it’s
      international.

31. Teefah (www.that1960chick.com)

February 25, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Oh my days I am so inspired right now. Your hair is beautiful
    I stopped relaxing my hair exactly a year ago, ans since then i have been wearing protective styling because i wasn’t ready for the big chop, and truth be told i don’t know how to deal with un-relaxed hair seeing as my hair has been chemically processed since i was 14.

Is it natural r relaxed?
    And can we really grow waist length hair, most hair gurus online and youtube claim it’s down to genetics

32. [email protected]

February 25, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Pls this calabar girl has caucasian blood in her lineage so that gene helps!

• TeamNigeria

February 25, 2013 at 8:23 pm

loool ,no. she’s nigerian to the core

• Anon

February 26, 2013 at 3:31 am

Gbosa, same thing i thought. Somewhere down the line maybe. You either have it or you don’t.

• hawa

April 13, 2013 at 1:20 pm

WOW! you just dissed your own race. What you are saying is that a black person has to be mixed with European blood in order for them to have long hair? Shame!!! Free yourself from mental slavery!!

33. [email protected]

February 25, 2013 at 3:00 pm

DON’T GO TROUBLING YOURSELF OVER THIS GIRLS HAIR PLS!!!> SHE HAS CAUCASIAN BLOOD IN HER FAMILY AND THAT IS ONE MAJORING (90%) FACTOR.smmmmmhh

• Anonymous

February 27, 2013 at 10:32 am

Actually she doesn’t have caucasian blood. I remember her from QC…short natural hair, nothing you’d give a second look. I’m really amazed to see her hair now.

34. Tochi

February 25, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Nice one

35. toya

February 25, 2013 at 3:18 pm

woowwww

36. Nne Nne

February 25, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Go Bassey, Go Bassey go!!!!!!!! Her hair is not only long, its also very healthy and full.

37. dionne

February 25, 2013 at 3:31 pm

@seemesee THank you Thank you i am tired of stressing out to people that there is no amount of products in or care in this world that can grow your hair, you either have it or you dont. All you can do is maintain what you have and keep it polished whether short, long, fine or thick. HAIR IS HAIR

• Gigi

February 26, 2013 at 9:40 am

• Seriously

April 14, 2013 at 9:39 am

I have thick beautiful hair, I keep cutting it off but it generally grows to bra length in one year.. I have 5 sisters, two of them have hair just like mine.. But the other two, one her hair hardly grows more than 3 inches.. And the other one never has time for her hair so it isn’t in the best condition. It’s always open, she never does any protective styles.. So as much as genetics have a part to play. You need to take care of your hair too. I’m transitioning now back to natural and my hair is really thick and the envy of everyone. I’m going to have waiste length hair in 2 years.. 😉 so help me God

38. Nero

February 25, 2013 at 3:32 pm

i likeeeeeeeeeee

39. Ngozi

February 25, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Love her long tresses and will check her site to read more on it.

40. beri2

February 25, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Basically, I think hair growth is genetic. My hair goes all the way to my back, although not as long as hers. I have never steamed my hair in my entire life, never owned a shampoo or a conditioner. I have different hair stylists and I am ALWAYS on weaves and braids. Once im taking out one im immediately fixing another. I guess im just lucky. This is not to say that taking good care of your hair would not be helpful, but its basically genetics in my opinion.

• Jay

March 10, 2013 at 8:40 am

41. Meah

February 25, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Thanks Seemesee, your comment is so on point. The main ish with hair growth is your genes, every other thing is ajasa. My elder sister has long, lustrous hair. i dont. I know for a fact that i take better care of my hair than she does but hers is still longer and silkier than mine. In the end, i’ve come to the realization that you can only work with what you’re given: its either you have it or you dont.

42. Igbe

February 25, 2013 at 4:54 pm

i can do it, i can do it, i will do it.

43. Ronke

February 25, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Oya madam hair tutorial. my own hair grows thicker and fuller, never longer. How do you explain that. All that taking care of your hair, only achieves one thing for me, fuller hair. My hair is so full and thick, a lions mane has nothing on me. I have given up, and accepted my fate. Genetics has a role to play, all those who are disputing, are talking nonsense. My sister’s hair grows long, and it is very soft and scanty. If hair was a deciding factor, you will not accept that we are related. We have this running joke at home, if only we could swap. I give her some body, she gives me some length. The way caucasian babies pick hair colour from parents and family members is the same way the behaviour of our hair is genetically pre determined. The rest that you do is jara. You can’t fight nature

44. ao

February 25, 2013 at 5:07 pm

My hair is currently at the length of Akan’s in the picture of her in the purple dress and I am 100% Black. I achieved this length by chopping off old damaged relaxed hair and wearing braids and weaves. That is actually the method I use to grow my hair. Braid it or weave it and then leave it alone. Of course, I wash and care for my braids and weaves while I”m wearing them. Black hair does grow, but I do agree that there is a genetic component to the rate of growth just as their is a component to the texture and curl pattern. At the end, the most important thing is to have healthy hair no matter what the length.

45. Moisture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 25, 2013 at 5:34 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAH look at them giving excuses oo its all in the genes HAHAHAHAHAH LAZY nigerian women! PLEASE KEEP BUYING WIGS AND WEAVES OO my business needs to improve LOVE YOU ALL WEAVE HEADS mmwaah

Give your hair MOISTURE and seal it in with OIL… go on youtube and see people taking good care of their natural hair. My eyebrows are so faint and my hair is so thick. To the one who said she has 3inches in a year my dear you are starving your hair of MOISTURE!!

THROW AWAY products that have petroleum oil and mineral oil in them. Your hair clearly is very sensitive. Don NOTt use those shampoos that contain SLS PARABENS and their likes. DUDU OSUN is enough to wash it clean incase you want to come and tell me you don’t have money. Wash your hair every 2-3 weeks. buy cocnut/olive oil/sheabutter/orisirisi as long as its all natural. APPLY ON YOUR HAIR EVERYDAY!! see it as you baffing!! you will not believe what happened to my hair!! thats why im ranting here ahn ahn you women should not be lazzy now!

Change your DIET!!!!!!1 that your friend in warri abi okokomaico has more omega3/ fatty oils in her system than you who eats CARBOHYDRATE TILL THY KINGDOM COME. abi when last did you eat fish????????

Go on buy small spray botlle and fill it with water. SPray your hair with water everyday asnd come back and tell me you have just 3inches in a year??? something i get in 4months…

TRUST ME!! i had RAT! HAIR until i said enough joor.. chopped the shit off and started moisturizing my hair like no mans business……. ALL YOU NEED IS WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!! WATERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR thats the key ingredient of moisture1! choii let me just go

• Partyrider

February 25, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Lmaoo…Moisture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice one..lol

• Mama

February 26, 2013 at 3:44 am

Roflmao, moisture no finish me with lag abeg…….don’t mind them Niger women….they think taking care of hair is buying all the expensive products and going to saloon for weave on and Brazilian hair…….ignorance is what makes some of u grow 3inch hair in a year

• zsa zsa

February 26, 2013 at 7:30 am

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! i just loooove your rant!

• Diseye

February 26, 2013 at 8:15 am

Stop shouting with caps. Nobody is being lazy, hair growth is genetic and differ from one individual to the other. Bet you can’t afford a decent weave so you come here to mouth off.

• pynk

February 26, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Haha, this is the truth. Funny as hell but true.

• Nma

February 26, 2013 at 3:09 pm

GBAM! I dont know whether to laugh or weep at these ignorant ass comments i’m reading here. They all need to check out some youtube videos for inspirations and advise! There are also quite a few Naija girls doing natural hair journey on youtube with hair past bra straps and even to their waists.

Everyone’s hair growth rate is roughly the same: about 0.25-2 inches a month….nothing less, nothing more! Research people! Now the way u maintain ur hair is what determines the amount of the length u retain! Moisture is extremely important, and sealing ur hair with essential oils like olive oil, coconut, grapeseed oil or even shea butter helps keep the moisturizer locked in longer. When u dont moisturize and seal ur hair daily, u starve ur hair…it dries out and causes ur hair to split, break off…ad that is why u cant retain length….not because u cant grow ur hair! Everyone’s hair grows…its hair retention that matters! Before going natural 3.5 yrs ago, i was relaxed but never wore my hair out cos it was sooooo thin and i never retained length (hair was always to neck length and thin). I never moisturized, oiled etc cos i didnt know squat about taking care of hair. Only relaxed it 4 times a year. 3.5 yrs post relaxer, my hair is past my bra strap and i am 100000% IGBO! Please y’all stop making these dumb excuses as to why u cant retain length. Everyone grows hair biko, its just how u care for it so that it doesnt split/break off.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING U SHOULD TAKE FROM ALL THESE IF U WANNA RETAIN LENGTH IS TO MOISTURIZE DAILY AND SEAL WITH OIL! EVEN IF U CANT AFFORD FANCY HAIR MOISTURIZERS/LEAVE-IN CONDITIONERS….BUY CHEAP 100% SHEA BUTTER…IT CAN SERVE AS BOTH A MOISTURIZER AND A SEALANT. ALSO SPRAY UR HAIR WITH WATER EVERY MORNING AND NIGHT. IT HELPS UR HAIR STAYS PLIABLE AND STOPS IT FROM BREAKING OFF!

• ozzy

March 12, 2013 at 5:42 pm

so my hair will be smelling abi ogar oo

• Benita

May 13, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I would have to disagree with a lot of the comments, I agree with keeping your hair properly hydrated and balanced with moisture. I am a newly natural and have cut out heat and all chemicals I only use organic and natural oils on my hair. I am not stressed over the length I just want my hair to be natural and healthy. Though genetics play some part in hair growth taking the time to give attention to your hair will make it healthy and grow. Everyones hair is different just like eye colors are different. I say embrace and love what you have and in time the results will be stunning long,short what ever I think all hair in its natural state is beautiful. being natural is a little more work but it makes me proud to wear my own natural curls.

• JB

August 21, 2013 at 9:13 am

TELL THEM OH!

46. Dolls

February 25, 2013 at 5:43 pm

She really does have beautiful hair

47. MyHairBeautyNIGERIA.com

February 25, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Thank you for featuring her!

48. Ronky

February 25, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I’ve never heard of Bassey of Lushstrands, but I’m a fan of BritPopPrincess’s channel. She’s gorgeous. My hair is currently bra-strap length and I have no particular hair technique. In fact my hair was longer in Nigeria and I did absolutely nothing to it. However, I find that now that am overseas, my hair has experienced the most breakage ever. I can attribute this to the change of change. The weather over here is very harsh, your hair can’t survive without a good moisturizer.
    I also think some people just have it and others don’t. However, you can follow a good hair regime to help it grow.

• Ronky

February 25, 2013 at 6:26 pm

*change of weather

49. tiredofnonsense

February 25, 2013 at 6:30 pm

your article makes it sound like she grow her hair from chin length to waist length in 9 months, which is impossible. From bra strap to waist length 9 months is not that impressive (and she would have used ALOT of growth aids) -hair grows half an inch a month( up to an inch if you use growth aids and your hair naturally grows fast).

50. Ebun

February 25, 2013 at 6:56 pm

I want!!!! Gonna try it!

51. Creamy_Amie

February 25, 2013 at 6:56 pm

I agree it’s genetic. But her tips are very useful cos I tried that too and it worked for me… Eat good food and take lots of fluid (water) ur skin, hair and nails will thank you.

52. let it be....

February 25, 2013 at 7:00 pm

From reading all the comments….Nigerian women are lazy with their hair. Abeg If i come and tell you I am fat cause of my genes all of you will call me orobo.
    Pay attention to the the hair on your head…simple.I don’t use growth aids (apart from daily multivit) neither do I have caucasian blood, all my family members are Ekiti(from the same village sef) and I grew my hair from damaged neck length to bra strap length in a year(In Nigeria)….I just paid a little more attention to it…I would deep condition even when I had it up in braids, I would comb gently, I paid a little more for a professional stylist….
    Lagos babes are all about keeping up with the jones’es (or is it kardashians now) and there as there is no obvious show of wealth in growing your hair, na write-off…Na una sabi na, shebi she no force you to keep a healthy head of hair…na suggestion!!
    The alopecia the women of our generation will suffer from because of this unrepentant weave trend will be a world phenomenon….#wait&see

• Diseye

February 26, 2013 at 8:11 am

Umm Miss, some people are more predisposed to being fat than others. There’s scientific proof to back that up. Google is your friend!

• Let it be.....

February 27, 2013 at 1:13 am

sharrapuuu!! I am in fact predisposed to being fat, but do I then become obese because of that?? or do I watch what I eat and exercise more often?? same goes for hair growth, African hair is more brittle so we have to take extra care of our hair, not like it can’t grow long….
      Common sense is your friend :-/

• I Hate when folks say #GoogleIsUrFriend & ThankMeLater!!

February 27, 2013 at 4:45 am

Does your google also tell you all those who are predisposed to being fat are fat?? blacks are predisposed to hair breakage and shrinkage (not slow hair growth) but with proper care we can manage these and grow long healthy hair. Same as how people predisposed to obesity can control their weight by diet and exercise to be healthier….
      you see ,google can give you answers but it wouldn’t think for you…..

53. konnie

February 25, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Lovely. Thank for reminding about not stressing the hair while wet ( combing etc and moisture ) good job. Most of my family where natural hair and have pretty long hair from good care. Even my sister in-law who thought her hair couldn’t grow now has long hair .

Go for it people. Free yourself from wigs extensions etc

54. Lovely

February 25, 2013 at 8:17 pm

my friend Hadiza’s hair is by far longer than 22inch weave on.i have an evidence .thumbs up to her though.but Hadi’s hair is longer

55. loo

February 25, 2013 at 9:59 pm

am in Asia atm i have a roomie from S.America, i notice she washed her hair almost every morning, am some one who loves my hair without weave or extensions and all, since i got here i am yet to find an african that can make hair.
    luckily for me i know the basics of making hairso i began to DIY , so i make my hair myself HOW? (weave all back) , i bought wig also (put a wig on it), i wash my hair every two weeks now, my natural hair is SOFT such that i never use conditioners, i have not retouched my hair for the past 5month and probably won’t till i get to naija but you guys my hair is sooooo soft despite the undergrowth like about 2 1/2 inch of undergrowth.
    my point i have found out that washing your hair often makes it soft, using olive oil and everything moisture makes it soft and i forgot to mention my hair has grown by 3inches in like 4month
    people need to start paying attention to their hair for it to grow and look healthy what you sow you reap except the gene runs in your family.
    after seeing this video thanks BN i won’t give up and won’t retouch my hair for a year and will keep eating well and taking good care of my hair
    BTW its not a family gene something as you would need a magnifier to see the hair on my body

56. Agbeke

February 25, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I agree it’s genetic but you may have hairy genes and still not know how to take care of your hair. I got sick of my damaged hair last November and chopped it very low. Three months down the road with a lot of tlc it is growing longer and healthier. I try to steam every other week. I wrap in a silk scarf.moisturise the hairline and I roll it as opposed to using straighteners. If you have hairy genes you will be amazed at how lovely your hair will look.minimise braids and weaves as well.and oh I do cold steaming

57. Agbeke

February 25, 2013 at 10:39 pm

And Bassey was my senior in secondary school. obi house!lol

• Gigi

February 26, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Ha ha! I wasn’t in Obi house but I remember Bassey too! Shout out QC girls! Lol!

58. Egor Efiok

February 26, 2013 at 12:54 am

Nice one girl, I’m very proud of you. Hard work pays and you’re going places. Abasi odiong fi ufan.

59. shells

February 26, 2013 at 2:14 am

Our hair grows at the same rate (on average) as all other races.

I disagree with that…have you ever seen an indian or a chinese’s hair growth rate. i have an indian guy friend, and he has to shave and have a hair cut every other day. He once left his hair for a week and i swear it was about 5 inches of growth on his head and he was already looking like tarzan….so your statement is so not true

• Mama

February 26, 2013 at 3:50 am

Sharap Jo, so Ur Indian friend is now the standard for all Indian hair abi? Of course he is a percentage for all the Indian race….

60. NNENNE

February 26, 2013 at 3:43 am

This vlogger, Patricia, is a British of Nigeria parentage.
    My younger cousins love her websites… britpopPrincess.com and britpoplife.com.
    She has a lot of followers. Do check them out if you care.

61. oma

February 26, 2013 at 5:08 am

Actually its true. Hair growth for an average human being is half an inch every month. Note that I said average. Ur indian friend is an exception, not the norm. The reason why Africans can’t seem to notice that growth is because we lack good hair care practices and poor diet too. Only carbs all the time. Because our hair is kinkier than oyibos, we need to go that extra mile to see results bcos its harder for us to retain length. Once u listen to ur hair, watch it flourish

62. UO

February 26, 2013 at 10:07 am

Less is more!
    I went from chin length to almost bra strap (bsl) in 18mths
    1) I threw away heat (air dried, no flat irons)
    2) daily Co washing (like she stated above), but even then I got lazy and stopped doing daily, started doing weekly.
    3) Protective styles, hardly used a comb, did doobies at night, pin curls, and when I used combs, I used those the wide tooth ones.
    4) water is your friend, even as a black lady, pour water on your hair and it will grow. Moisture is the key!
    5) I became my own hair dresser for the most part, thats when I really got to know my hair
    Took vitamins, but got lazy and that got expensive.
    my hair type is a 4b/c, 100% naija
    I was relaxed then, but would stretch for 3-4mths. Now I’m transitioning to natural, and since my hair is thicker and not as susceptible to breakage, should be sooooo much easier!
    also in regards to hair length, also look at the person’s height, someone that is 6’2″ with bra strap hair has longer hair than someone who is 5’6″ with bra strap hair.

Thanks to the blogger for bringing growing hair to light. I dont think my naija sisters are ready sha, truth is we want a quick fix, and it does take some time to figure your own hair out, and take care of it.

63. Jane Meadows

February 26, 2013 at 10:30 am

Wow impressive! An going to start the tips on my daughter’s hair cos she hates extension.

64. Remi

February 26, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Now I know woman take their hair seriously … Look at d long comments

65. seemesee

February 26, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Hair and most things we have are genetics. Please why are most people on this forum born “black”? Best hair care? please google Naomi campbell and Britney Spear’s damaged hair. Thay have both be in the limelight since they were teenagers.they are millionairess. They have had the best hair care money can buy. Hair care industry in the U.S.A is a 9 to 12 billion dollar industry a year. The Asians have moved to Nigeria too, it is a money making machine of a business. Do your own personal research and look for what suits your own hair best. Hair like all other things(nails, complexion,eye color, height) is 90% genetics. Look what after what grows out of your head properly. However do NOT sweat it when you have length or not, Healthy head of hair is what matters.

66. B!

February 26, 2013 at 3:31 pm

One more thing that wasn’t mentioned about how to grow your hair… is to TRIM it.
    A lot of people don’t see the point and to be honest I didn’t either for a while, because I thought it defeated the purpose of it growing. But when you trim your hair it actually grows faster. This may be basic for a lot of people but for those who don’t trim, start doing so.

• Gigi

February 26, 2013 at 6:37 pm

She did say to trim. She even said to use sharp scissors and not blunt ones when trimming to prevent jagged edges…

67. @ajiriavae

February 26, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Like she said, the keys are combing gently, moisturizing, not using too much heat, and avoiding overly manipulative hair styles that can break the hair. Let me add triming split ends every few weeks, when they are still short. Because split end will continue down the follicle until the hair is so badly damaged, you have to cut of a large chunk. Anybody can start on any day. You can even keep a hair diary so that you can monitor your progress. All you need is to be committed. Good luck to whoever wants to try!!!
    ajiristyle.blogspot.com/

68. SASSYCASSIE

February 26, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Actually trimming does not affect your hairgrowth, it just keeps your ends healthy

69. xxx

February 26, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I’m pretty sure she didn’t say anything about not wearing brazillian hair, she wears wigs to protect her hair; human hair wigs, found her on youtube, followed her for a bit till I found my own rythm. If you read well, she even recommends human hair for braiding. I wear wigs to protect my hair and it’s growing thick and long; Indian, malaysian, about to get a brazillian malaysian mix, when I want to look more natural, I’ll wear my hair. This headline Bella put up is just for sensation, the girl has not given up her weaves/wigs, there’s only so much she can do to her hair without damaging it.

70. kinky girl

February 26, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Yes, hair grows at different rates but I do not believe most Nigerian women are maximising their hair potential. Most people are more interested in fixing weaves or braiding than taking care of their own hair. Ghanaians have noticeably nicer healthier hair than we do. Wrapping their hair before bed is one simple yet really important thing I noticed most of the girls did. And that’s just one of the things. Hair grows. Different rates, yes. But give your hair a little more attention, and study and I’m sure it can do better than it always has. Hair grows at different rates but should you accept a one-inch ponytail more like bunny tail as your destiny? Please no!

71. Wonder

February 27, 2013 at 4:56 am

The same internet you came to, to read and drop your negative wet blanket comments is the same internet I used to get my hair where it is now. In just six months, I went from shoulder length hair and now, my hair is grazing armpit length. You haven’t even tried the tips she gave or used your google to research about black hair care and start your healthy hair journey, you are already whining and nagging. Its like saying all men cheat, whereas your treat your man like crap. Knowledge is power, don’t sound like boko haram! :-P. . If you want healthy lush hair, you can have it, hair grows everyday that’s why you see “undergrowth” after some weeks that you apply relaxer at the salon. The problem is we don’t know how to retain the hair that has grown, that is why you are at a certain length for years but you dey retouch.

72. Muchacha

February 27, 2013 at 12:19 pm

The length of Basseys hair NEVER seizes to amaze me! Naija babe like me? Im sooooo motivated

73. GG

February 27, 2013 at 4:45 pm

But this babe is a calabar girl tho. I dnt trust calabar pipl. Dey r mammywaters naaaa. Dat explains dis hair, abeg.

74. O

February 27, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Her name is Bassey Akan, not Akan Bassey…….4th paragraph

75. Laide

February 28, 2013 at 2:30 am

So gorgeous! #jealous

76. brownie

February 28, 2013 at 1:55 pm

The way I see it with all these arguments about genetics etc, it’s a very simple matter – if you want your hair to grow long, invest the time and effort to care for it. If you’re not concerned with long hair, then feel free to continue whatever it is that you are currently doing.

Bassey’s hair length has debunked the myth that black hair does not grow! It is simply not true! Hair ALWAYS grows but if the rate of breakage is faster than the rate of growth, then it will look like the hair is not actually growing since breakage occurs from the ends and growth occurs from the root – this is why protective styling is critical for black women to grow their hair to its maximum potential. Black hair is the most unique hair type in the world and therefore requires a different hair care regimen to women of other races. There are too many factors that can be attributed to the maximum hair length that a woman can achieve but in a nutshell if you care for your hair the proper way and experience little to no breakage, you will achieve your terminal length (which is the longest length that your hair can achieve given all the factors combined). Also remember that hair grows in stages so at every given point in time, 10% of all the hair on one’s head is shedding and a new growth cycle begins. Scientifically it is estimated that the growth cycle occurs within a period of 7years which means that after every approx. 7years every hair strand begins a new growth cycle but remember that it all occurs at different points in time, else we’d all be bald headed! There is a key difference between shed hair and broken hair and that plays a huge role in determining what’s happening to your hair and how you need to care for it.

For anyone who really wants to grow their hair long, check out blackhairscience.com. All the information you need to help you grow your hair is on there.

I’m living proof that hair care and growth works! I stopped relaxing my rat chop thin hair in April 2010, chopped off all my relaxed hair in May 2011, and in that time my hair is at least 9 inches long in some areas now despite having trimmed it more than 3 times due to thin and split ends. Also I’m 5ft7inches tall so my hair is just slightly past shoulder length but on someone shorter, it would look longer. I live in London so I have to deal with the harsh winter weather and yet I’ve managed to grow it this long and this is the longest it’s ever been in my life. I grew up with hardly any hair for most of my childhood and teenage years and faced so many hair battles and teasing for it. Today the same people that teased me all comment on how lovely my hair is and ask me for hair advice.

So to sum it all – black hair grows, period! Care for it and you’ll see a massive difference.

77. trix

March 3, 2013 at 12:18 am

Great! thanks Brownie we’ll work at it.

78. ALIYU BUSAYO

March 4, 2013 at 4:54 pm

HOPING ONE DAY,I LL HAVE MY HAIR TURN TO THAT

79. vanessa

March 7, 2013 at 4:57 pm

seriously wen i was in primary secondary school my hair was almost her size but as i entered the university and started braiding and fixing the hair now is soo short shoulder level. thank God i came to this site, i need to regrow my hair. i guess its bad maintenance. i believe u die gal cos my hairs grow frequently i mean frequently. hmmmmm i need hairrrrrrr on my head alone sha

80. vanessa

March 7, 2013 at 4:58 pm

i wee practise joor oh and see first

81. Babydoc

March 8, 2013 at 1:51 pm

She has European blood in her ancestry. She just does not know it.

• China

March 9, 2013 at 7:38 am

I agree jo. She either has european blood in her ancestry or mammy water dna in her ancestry. One or the other. Or both. You can’t tell me otherwise.

82. Jay

March 10, 2013 at 9:17 am

That’s a main reason your hair is long. My bestie has scanty hair, never long. She cut it and did short dreads, then covered it for a year doing braids and weaves. Her hair came out long and fuller. I used to have full hair, then bad maintenance chopped it and it broke. I went natural last year and mixed a blend of water, aloe vera gel (straight from the plant), olive oil and cheap glycerin. 2 weeks, just 2 weeks of that, my hair which for years was soo stubborn it would break plastic comb while combing became soft. After all the money I’ve spent buying Mizani, Design Essentials, Gentle Touch, Revlon, Affirm, you name it. my homemade cheap conditioner delivered. Believe what you want. I too, will come post pics of my hair, and y’all
    will call me, full Delta girl, halfcaste and say that’s the reason my hair is long.

• ChicEmpress

March 15, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Was the Mizani any good? I know what works for one may not work for someone else but as you said, stuffs expensive i’ve spent enuff dosh experimenting. I do plan on trying some home made conditioners but for quick fix was just curious. Thanks!

83. Julia

March 11, 2013 at 5:44 pm

The hardest part of hair care is to get a good routine going. Once you have that established you are set. There are so many factors involved in hair health. Poor diet and excessive stress levels can have a detrimental impact upon you hair. Way to be dedicated to your hair!

84. suregirl

March 12, 2013 at 5:22 pm

omg women and hair…i read read read ,had to fast forward to comment my own …chaii

85. Emi K

March 19, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Really happy that a lot more Nigerians are beginning to enlighten themselves about healthy hair and the possibility for Africans to have long natural hair. For all the doubting Thomas’s, I’m hoping (for your sake and the sake of your hair) you stop displaying your ignorance and do more research before commenting because you make the rest of us giggle. All the information is online, YouTube, blogs etc. to give you a hair care regimen and hair tips. There are books as well on black hair science and structure if you prefer a more scientific approach. Personally speaking, I had neck length hair all my life while living in Port Harcourt. I moved to the UK 3 years ago and the cold weather along with my usual bad hair practices ruined my hair. I had to cut off half of my hair and begin again. I started reading up on hair and researching and was finally convinced last year that my hair can grow long, I just needed to work on it and be patient. I eventually began my healthy hair journey in November 2012 and the results are significant. Even the stylists who worked on my hair before are amazed at the progress. I hope some of you take away something good from this article and be motivated to start caring for your hair. Happy healthy hair journey y’all! : )

86. fashionandstylepolice

April 13, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Bassey Akan, I remember you. You are my cousin’s friend – Ese Azenabor.

87. Neva

April 28, 2013 at 10:57 pm

You have a really nice hair. Great videos, thanks 🙂

88. Ndidi Iwuchukwu

May 31, 2013 at 12:38 pm

hello my name is ndidi Iwuchukwu. I am igbo and Nigeria I have a youtbe channel which i currently give hair tips. I am HIP LENGTH RIGHT NOW , RELAXED HAIR AND STILL GROWING PLEASE DO CHECK OUT MY CHANNEL ON YOU TUBE ITS CALLED FILTOUCH1

89. Christie

December 5, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Great Article. To the person that spoke on genetics… boo your wrong. The average rate of hair growth is .5 inches a month. Some people have a LITTLE less some a LITTLE more. regardless your hair grows anywhere from 2 to 6 years. THEREFORE the person with the lowest affinity for long hair due to their genetics should still be able to achieve arm pit length hair. Please please please people stop with the excuses or woe is me because I’m black statements.

90. me

February 28, 2014 at 2:12 am

Beautiful girl…looks like she has a nose job

91. Jason Neman

March 6, 2014 at 1:59 am

Thanks for sharing a great information about grow hair naturally. I really enjoy your blog.

92. Anabel

May 22, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Hi, I have a very soft scanty hair and I want it to grow fuller and considerably long, I know I might not have a very long hair but I want improvement. Can anyone tell me what line of product to use, I’m tired of hearing funny comment about how unhealthy my hair is. Pls I need help.

93. GoldGoddess

September 25, 2015 at 5:30 pm

And if you can not grow it, weave it up!!!:) Beautiful Hair , goals!!! now at arm pit:) but i never real.y tried to grow my hair so am excited to see results in 6 months…:) until, weaving it up!!!:)

94. Olu-Johnson

October 26, 2015 at 11:58 am

So lovely.

95. Sandra

December 24, 2015 at 5:03 pm

Obsessed with this! So cool!

96. suzane098

October 4, 2016 at 8:26 am

I am absolutely 100% satisfied with these extensions!!! The quality is so amazing! I’ve tried different extensions and I must say these are the best!