News

My Style: Mary Ichoku

My Style Mary Ichoku - March 2013 - BellaNaija - image006My Style is one of our favorite features on the BN Style page, and judging from the responses it gathers, I can safely say, it has our readers interested.

BellaNaija reader Mary Ichoku  is our focus on this edition of My Style. Mary’s style shows her spontaneity. Her mood determines her look but she works with what she has to look fabulous all the time. In our chat with Mary, she tells us about what goes into her entire out look. We hope you enjoy it!

My Style is…
Innovative, fun and effortless. My style is daring and unpredictable with a little edge to it. It is comfortable, simple yet classy, and flows with the season. I do not have to empty my bank account to look good and standout. Don’t get me wrong I love me some Gucci, Louboutins, LV and all… but I just won’t go out of my way if it’s way out of my budget. I’d combine that piece of clothing I wore for prom with something trendy bringing out the “wow” in it yet again.

My style makes the rejected stone look like the chief corner stone because once Mary is wearing it, it just has to look good. I can go from the girl next door look to the Hollywood red carpet diva look with so much ease.

Style Meets  Personality
This minute I just want to have fun and next I decide I want the serious Margaret Thatcher look. Sometimes I decide I want to show some skin the next I want to cover it all. My style varies based on my mood; it is quite impulsive and daring but very free. I never try so hard, I am always at ease.

Where I Love to Shop
I shop online most of the time from Asos and Dorothy Perkins. So far they have never disappoint me as my major shopping platform. I also wear affordable designs Michael Michael Kors, Zara, DKNY, Aldo and once in a while I like to throw in a little Primark here and there. I’ve also got an amazing tailor who designs some of my outfits for me plus I order for some of dash collections through the owner of the Imagine store here in Lagos.

Hair Glam
I go all out with my hair, this thing has got a mind of its own. I plan out my hairstyles for a whole year based on ‘Riri’, Lady Gaga, the latest pattern of Ghana weaving and braids going on. I could be daring with my hairstyle as I hate staying in my comfort zone when it comes to my hair styles; the fact that everyone loves a particular hair style does not mean I’d change my mind about wearing it three years from that time.

Mary Ichoku PanoramaMary Ichoku Panorama 2Mary Ichoku Panorama 1

Make Up I Love
The Nigerian weather won’t let us makeup freaks shine; you cannot pile on makeup with this our joyless ozone layer. So most times I use mild makeup, but for special occasions I go all out. I believe you should always line your eyebrows, it gives the face a neat look Your skin should be well pampered because although all the M.A.C in this world could conceal the real problems ladies should consider the man that has to deal with the no-makeup look. I love M.A.C products, Mary Kay foundation, and Sleek products. Those are the main products I like to use.

My Style Mary Ichoku - March 2013 - BellaNaija - image021My Style Mary Ichoku - March 2013 - BellaNaija - image011

Inside My Closet

My Style Mary Ichoku - March 2013 - BellaNaija - image047

Jackets & Blazers

Shoes

Shoes

Bags

Bags

Dresses

Dresses

Daytime Express
My day look is basically effortless. I love to show some skin based on the weather. I hate stress so I go simple with my short free dress, flats, stud earrings, a wristwatch (I feel naked without it) my Maju hand bag, mild make up (eyebrows on point) a nude lipstick and false lashes. My falsies are quite compulsory for me, I just love it. Its basically simple, cute and fun.

My Style Mary Ichoku - March 2013 - BellaNaija - image019

Orange & White Top with Black Leggings and Black Satchel Bag

My Style Mary Ichoku - March 2013 - BellaNaija - image032

Petite Yellow dress with Orange bunny slippers

My Style Mary Ichoku - March 2013 - BellaNaija - image018

Purple Maxi Dress: Jane Norman; Brown Bag

Yellow Sun dress with a Black bag & Sandals

Yellow Sun Dress with a Black Bag & Sandals

Stylish Working Girl
For work I love to show my tiny figure eight. I usually wear a fitted corporate dress, peplum tops with pencil skirts, flat shoes or heels (depending on how stressful the day plans out to be) my hand bag , mild makeup, perfume and I’m good to go!

Little Black Dress; Leopard Skin Shoes:Dorothy Perkins

Black Peplum Top; Mini Monochrome Skirt with a Brown Bag

Multicolored Floral Top; Black Skirt; Turquoise blue shoes & a Red bag

Multicolored Floral Top; Black Skirt; Turquoise blue shoes & a Red bag

Sometimes I Like to go Plain & Simple

My Style Mary Ichoku - March 2013 - BellaNaija - image036

Blue & White Floral Top; Washed Jean Trousers

My Style Mary Ichoku - March 2013 - BellaNaija - image030

Bandanna Maxi Dress

My Style Mary Ichoku - March 2013 - BellaNaija - image024

Half Jean jacket; Multicolored Sun Dress

I Own the Night
We come alive at night don’t we? I like to have the crazy-sexy look and I get a little freaky with the makeup. I go for the drag queen look with Ruby Woo lipstick, glittering dresses (I think they are extremely sexy) and Gaga heels complete the look. I always dress to suit the night.

Dress: tfnc London; Shoes: BlackGardenia

Red Sequin Dress: TFNC London; Silver & Black Shoes: BlackGardenia

Black and white dress; Shoes: Aldo

Black and white dress; Shoes: Aldo

Some of My Favorite Looks

My Style Mary Ichoku - March 2013 - BellaNaija - image014

Green & Gold Maxi Dress with Gold Embellishments

Silver Dress: Designed by my tailor; Shoes: Dorothy Perkins sandals

Long Silver Dress: Designed by my tailor; Shoes: Dorothy Perkins Sandals

Dress: Dash Collection; Shoes: Louboutins

Dress: Dash Collection; Shoes: Louboutins

My Style Mary Ichoku - March 2013 - BellaNaija - image023

Long Black Dress with Floral Print

Dress: ASOS; Shoes: Glanmarco Lorenze couture; Bag: Maju Bag

Blue Dress: ASOS; Black Platform Shoes: Glanmarco Lorenze Couture; Blue, White & Snake Skin Bag: Maju Bag

Traditional Delight
My Style Mary Ichoku - March 2013 - BellaNaija - image009 My Style Mary Ichoku - March 2013 - BellaNaija - image013 My Style Mary Ichoku - March 2013 - BellaNaija - image020 My Style Mary Ichoku - March 2013 - BellaNaija - image029 Above all confidence is the best thing you could wear. When you are confident, you compliment your style and radiate your inner beauty. That’s one philosophy I strongly believe in.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
If you are interested in appearing on My Style, simply send two pictures of yourself or that of a friend depicting a typical day and night look with a short summary of your style to my email box: style(at)bellanaija(dot)com. When your entry is approved, you will be required to send in more pictures and personal commentaries on your style or that of your friend as the case may be!

1. ejogene

March 18, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Nne you fine oh! loving that black gown.

2. Aisha Mami Buba

March 18, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Classic with a twist.

• goldfinch

March 18, 2013 at 7:53 pm

if only she could take it easy with the pouting.

• Ikunkun

March 19, 2013 at 12:12 am

hehehehe…you have garrit!! she’s really cute though…but waaaaaaay cuter without that strong pout!!

• t

March 19, 2013 at 12:57 am

Yeah. She is pretty with a great body but her pout though? GAWD…irritates me!

• anon

March 19, 2013 at 4:08 am

I tell you. The pout na something else

• Aquarian

March 19, 2013 at 1:36 pm

That’s what I noticed as well…she sabi pout! Cool style though…

3. Retrochic

March 18, 2013 at 4:05 pm

oh wow, i love her fashion statements, she really looks fab, buh some of those slippers should pls go, they actually look drab and local, buh all in all, she sure has a great fashion sense

• morenike

March 19, 2013 at 5:13 am

That’s what I thought!

• Louis

March 19, 2013 at 4:28 pm

I think she looks good, its good too see an average girl in this section as oppose to stylists who only wear designer shoes etc. GO GIRL

4. moi

March 18, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Simple $ lovely style. Please send me details of your tailor. Lol thanks in advance. You don’t have to wear very expensive stuffs to look good and presentable.

5. Shio

March 18, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Beautiful and bold. God bless your hustle

6. AJ

March 18, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Loving the Traditional Delight section.

7. eniola

March 18, 2013 at 4:11 pm

I totally love her style. u go girl!

8. Teenaa

March 18, 2013 at 4:12 pm

She’s a natural pouter!! me likeyyyyyyyy

9. Teris

March 18, 2013 at 4:17 pm

a pyt who can afford a few nice clothes doesn’t necessarily mean “style”, does it? (scratching m’head)

• ella

March 18, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Oi! atink you want them to label you hater now….*sneaks out through the back door*

• Purpleicious Babe

March 19, 2013 at 7:19 pm

looooll…. 🙂

• bee

March 18, 2013 at 4:40 pm

I was thinking the same thing…hmmmm

• Omo1

March 18, 2013 at 5:07 pm

And style doesn’t necessarily mean being able to afford all the designers label in the world.. #smh

• Somebody

March 18, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Abeg go and sit down Jare ur comment no make sense ataaalll

• Sisi oge

March 18, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Teri’s u either can’t read or just plain stupid and truly a hater…..it says my style so it means her personal style….next time go read a dictionary before you comment on any story……a few nice clothes and how she puts them together makes her style….some ple like u must just open dia mouth and talk sha……abeg Mary carry go Jo, you have a good sense of style…

• iCrossmyHeart

March 18, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Your comment is childish. She puts on clothes LIKE EVERY GIRL ON INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK, MYSPACE, TWEETER, WHATSUP, BBM, that is why it disturbs the phrase “my personal style”. How can it be personal when it is personal to every other girl? It is no longer “personal” if you look like all the girls in your school, church, mall, etc.

See Ozzy, Abby from the4acesdate. They wear the same clothing as Mary, but they put their “style” on it. Style is indescribable, but when you see it, you cannot deny it.

• Ayo

March 18, 2013 at 7:24 pm

My thoughts exactly….

10. what

March 18, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Simple and Lovely…

11. Nice Anon

March 18, 2013 at 4:25 pm

The green maxi dress is lovely.

12. MyhairmybeautyNIGERIA.com

March 18, 2013 at 4:31 pm

She looks gorgeous in her short hair and braids

13. omolola

March 18, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Very nice

14. ILoveMaxis!

March 18, 2013 at 4:45 pm

lovely

15. Evagreen

March 18, 2013 at 4:51 pm

That pout…one too many I’ll say. She’s beautiful though

• Idak

March 18, 2013 at 8:54 pm

send the cheque in the post for plagiarizing my exact thought.

16. POSHILLA!!

March 18, 2013 at 4:58 pm

nice collection but why she go mention some designer bags n jst call d oda’ BROWN BAGS N SO ON ,NAWA OOO

17. Trendysturvs

March 18, 2013 at 5:01 pm

She is pretty

18. E4ma

March 18, 2013 at 5:04 pm

She is soooooo pretty, love her style. It simply shows that you dont have to break your bank account to look good.

• Nkechi

March 22, 2013 at 8:04 pm

ify dear r u the one?

19. King AL

March 18, 2013 at 5:08 pm

She is HOT!!! Ignore the haters that can’t afford even the affordable stuff and still hop online to hate :-P, I am simply loving her style, she knows how to pull all of her outfits off, unlike some girls we see trying too hard with stuff they can’t afford or stuff they borrow. To sum it up “HOT!!!” is the word, Haters keep hating.

• nene

March 18, 2013 at 5:32 pm

my friend go and sit down. haters ko, lovers ni.

• Ready

March 18, 2013 at 5:47 pm

But who hated? Where is the hating comment? So predictable. Expand your vocabulary and don’t be so defensive.
      Pretty girl, love the versatility in hair, and she’s got a nice figure so clothes sit well on her. Well dressed, yes…I’m iffy on what style means these days. What I’m sure of, her smile is gorgeous, so I have to say…that pout, why?

20. fashionandstylepolice

March 18, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Now this is what I am talking about. Love everything she has on.

21. Somebody

March 18, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Ooh I absolutely love her style, very fun girls and trendy, also a very pretty girl .I’m inspired, Oya of to asos i go to find that blue one shoulder dress, that dress is giving me life.

22. Mimi

March 18, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Nice collections…..Lovely

23. prettylyn

March 18, 2013 at 5:56 pm

She’s a diva. Me likey

24. oluchi Anigbogu

March 18, 2013 at 6:05 pm

I love her style,soooo trendy

25. kay king

March 18, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Fabulous…….you go GIRL!!! Ur STYLE itself

26. @ajiriavae

March 18, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I like the fact that she is not afraid to change up her look periodically, showing different sides of herself. And she definitely knows how to put a look together. I like her eye.
    ajiristyle.blogspot.com/

27. SASSYCASSIE

March 18, 2013 at 6:12 pm

pretty girl but the pouting makes her look silly

28. Anonymous

March 18, 2013 at 6:14 pm

I have just 3words to summarise her style… TOTALLY ABSOLUTELY FABOLOUS!!!!! (TAF)

29. agrl

March 18, 2013 at 6:25 pm

She’s a very beautiful young girl. But……”Gadamnit Y’all g’on make me go in.” Naija girls with the “I swear to God” pointed eyebrows or unibrows e don do. Its one thing to FILL IN, but when you and cruella deville start looking related, you’ve gone to far.

Brows are supposed to look natural not so artificial. The beginning of your brows should never pass the outer part of your nostrils. Blend Blend Blend!!!! Brush through Brush through!!!! When i can still see the two horizontal lines you drew to create your brows and the concealer you used for clean up that is just bad.

This post is not directed to Mary only, its directed in general to the “Frida Kahlo Brows, Ruby Woo Lips Association of Nigerian Women Makeup Wearers”.

• agrl

March 18, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Crap i just realized that I’m one of the people that make it difficult people to post My Style features on BN or any naija site. My bad. I actually love these things :(.

Its just sometimes little things irk me about the naija fashion scene. Unkept weaves, Drag Queen Makeup, squeezing big feet into small shoes, ill fitting too tight spandex clothes etc. And then I go on a bloody rant. Sorry! *Kanye Shrug*

• Dlapikin

March 19, 2013 at 6:04 am

You are unfortunately right about the eyebrows.

• someone

March 19, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Beautiful girl and I like her style. I agree with your comment on the eyebrows. Ada of TWP blog, if you see this here is my kind advice to go easy on your eyebrows because it’s close to a monobrow (drawn way too close). Not hating on you at all dear…

• Aydaa

March 20, 2013 at 4:28 pm

THIS!!! You deserve a cookie for this.

30. boss

March 18, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Hmmmm this ichoku mary that has refused 2 follow bk on twitter nice style but you need a man like me so that you can use the money in your bank account for chewinggum

• Teris

March 19, 2013 at 9:36 am

chineke!!

• The Chi

March 20, 2013 at 3:41 am

And that comment right there is exactly why she will not follow u. Boss man what u need is some Jesus and less attitude!

• ArabianPrincess

March 20, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Couldnt find the like button, So I am comin’ out to tell U that I LOVE your comment!!!

31. iCrossmyHeart

March 18, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I am sorry, but your style is NOT STYLE…nothing classic (not classy) about it. It is too forever21ish. Yes you are pretty though your pouting is distracting, your sense of style is too common and too general for my taste.

Since Nigerians like the word HATER to critic, I welcome it full-time.

This girl does not have style. Style is Lisa Folawiyo of Jewel by Lisa. Style is Abby of the4acesdate, style is Oroma Elewa of popafricana, style is Solange (her sis Beyonce does not have a style), style is Sofia Coppola, style is DEFINITELY not Mary Ichoku.

You are fashionable, Yes. Trendy, yes. But possess STYLE, no! This is my humble opinion.

• BellaNaija.com

March 18, 2013 at 6:34 pm

BN My Style is not about having the BEST style. We totally LOVE Mary’s style and we are grateful that she shared it with us.
      Style is relative. We encourage any and everyone to submit THEIR style. We have a celebrity style feature called BN Style Spotlight.
      Thank you.

• iCrossmyHeart

March 18, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Thank you for replying me. I pray I was not rude with my comment(s). I am learning to be politically correct.

My definition of style is one that is transcendent. One that goes beyond what we see, which is clothes. Style for me is about character; the woman wears the clothes and not the other way around. Yes, style is relative. I agree. But one may prefer to dress classically and minimal like Sofia Coppola and yet appreciate the colors worn by Solange or Franca Sozzani. Style is obvious because the woman WEARS it. That is why THEY are STYLE icons and the likes of Kim Kardarshians are FASHION icons.

Mary Ichoku, while I appreciate your courage in submitting “your style” to bellanaija, you possess a fashionable sense. Your sense of “style” is fashionable, here and now. But it is not transcendent.

Bellanaija should write an opinion piece on the difference between fashion and style. Just a recommendation. Money does not mean you have style: most Nigerian women on bellanaija are examples. The way a woman wears her clothing is an indication of one’s style.

• Cynthia

March 18, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Thank you Bella for educating mr/madam I no send.period.

• Deedara

August 16, 2014 at 9:45 am

Thank you o!’My Style’ is all about the individual’s style. If you don’t like it, cool, but don’t try and shove some unnecessary definitions down anyone’s throat. I don’t know why people like to impose their own personal preferences on others.

• Somebody

March 18, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Abeg this “I crossmyheart” person e don do Abeg lol, it’s reaaaally not that serious. Y don’t u just admire the pictures leave a lighthearted comment and keep it moving, rather than impose ur “own” analysis of what u think style is on us all! Geez man it’s really not that serious lolol

• TeeTee

March 19, 2013 at 9:56 am

She is gorgeous with GREAT STYLE Why you dey vex now? …lol *take a seat and a sip of water ok??*

• Cleo

March 20, 2013 at 8:51 am

I totally agree with you n this….

• Shane

March 20, 2013 at 9:22 pm

I have never come across anyone that enjoys belittling other people like you. So what if she shops at Forever 21, or Primark. When did it become heinous crime to shop at those places. I don’t recollect her saying she was applying to be on project runway or Rachael Zoe project. The girl was very gracious and sent BN how she combines her outfit; and the best you could do was act like a condescending inane soul. All the names you listed are celebrities who pay millions of dollars to well seasoned expert stylist. Stop deluding yourself; you are no
      Kate Young or Petra Flannery.

32. iCrossmyHeart

March 18, 2013 at 6:34 pm

And my dear, if you cannot afford the real thing (the fake Hermes Kelly and Birkin bags), my dear DONT FAKE IT. It is not a good look. For me at least. But i also have to remember that Nigeria appreciates mediocrity over excellence. So your fake bags are highly welcome in that environment. But buy something ORIGINAL and not a copy cat of something ORIGINAL….my two kobo.

• RAEMON

March 18, 2013 at 6:47 pm

am pretty sure u aint got no style at all…Girlz done her bit.go do yours..and quit your look down attitude..that environment?…please!

• iCrossmyHeart

March 18, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Your writing STYLE is all I need to know that you have no style whatsoever. But of course, style, including writing, is relative.

• durrrrr

March 19, 2013 at 10:45 am

real talk

• Rachael

March 19, 2013 at 12:26 am

What’s with the condescending tone. The girl never claimed she was wearing a Hermes Kelly or Birkin bag. Maybe she likes the design of those bags and that is why she bought something similar that she can afford. It might not necessarily be your style, but at least the girl didn’t lie about the brand of her bag like the way some other folks would have done.

• Sel

March 19, 2013 at 2:50 am

Where is the like button when you need it??This is exactly my thoughts..I think she’s very fashionable and trendy and pretty but there’s is no definition of style in her looks. Like you mentioned correctly Solange has style and I her style is timeless. She stays true to it.
      I can say the same for this lady because they are a thousand and one girls with the same look as her ( hair,makeup,clothes, shoes etc)
      However I understand the purpose of this segment even though I think the title ‘My Style’ is a bit misleading. Like one fashion icon said ‘Fashion evolves, but style is timeless’.
      Right now I’m thinking of someone who had style and Efya the songstress comes to mind..she has a particular style and she sticks to it..
      Lastly I think that Style has personality and depth but being fashionable and trendy means that you are just going with the flow

• Let them say

March 19, 2013 at 7:46 am

Please can you do us a favour by correcting BN’s definition of style. Kindly feature on this segment so that we all can be educated.

• TeeTee

March 19, 2013 at 9:58 am

English teacher lol Nigerians una own too much oh!!!lol all this over definition of style…take a CHILL PILL! all this grammar grammar sef…lol The girl looks good end of!

• laide

March 19, 2013 at 12:58 pm

pls wat is the issue?…y u taking it serious! …we know u know the definition of style …now keep it moving , go and learn anoda thing..*hiss*

• anons

March 20, 2013 at 3:03 pm

I’m beginning to think you know the babe personally, its the only explanation for your condescending comments. You are comparing her to Fashion Icons and Celebrities who pay thousands to have experts style them, really? So she likes her clothes, she thinks she looks good in them and sends in pictures for publication, I don’t see why that shld make u so agitated. The segment is titled “My Style” not “My Outstanding Style” or “My Iconic Style” or “My Kim K Style”

How about a simple comment saying that you don’t like her style and you think some of her bags might be imitations and then moving on. What the fuck are you lecturing us and talking down at her for?. Talking about instagram and “Forever21ish”, really? Its either one of two things, you are too young/foolish to be diplomatic about your opinions and comments or you have some sort of complex, for the sake of people around you I hope its the former.

• Dee

March 20, 2013 at 3:11 pm

• Iphie

March 22, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Thanks hun….

• Amazeballs!!!

March 28, 2013 at 12:53 am

Kai! icrossmyheart, You are really angry with the world! Sorry ehn.

• nwanyi na aga aga

April 23, 2013 at 7:06 pm

NA wa o ‘I cross my heart” ok we all use fake things. come and kill us now? what is your problem? Ok dress your own, take pikshur, send am come bellanaija make we see. And sweet heart dont forget to label it ‘icrossmyheart’ cos we need to know its you.

33. Anunobi Vivian

March 18, 2013 at 6:42 pm

She is so glamorous and exquisite. Dis a girl with style. An original african woman who is’nt afraid to show d world style. Mary u rock !

34. Kiki

March 18, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Lovely girl

35. preety girl you are... HOWEVER ...

March 18, 2013 at 6:57 pm

yepa!! i cross my heart oo hahahaha… the pouting tho , looks very foolish (my subjective opinion)…

you are such a beautiful girl with a good dress sense, but nothing unique. Please smile more, forget pouting, its for oyibo women who forgot to use botox (lol)… dazz all…

• Storm

March 18, 2013 at 8:05 pm

I totally agree, why pout! Ehn?…….. U look pretty without pouting like a goldfish.

• t

March 19, 2013 at 1:00 am

LMAO!!! naija people will not kill somebori

36. Ronnie

March 18, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Ah!

37. nuella

March 18, 2013 at 7:04 pm

very lovely,but pls can we get clear original pictures that have not gone thru Photoshop/photo magic ,next time….thanks

38. Chima

March 18, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Icrossmyheart is on point o

39. beeess

March 18, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Simply…chic, nice!

40. Ada

March 18, 2013 at 7:09 pm

I agree with icrossmyheart . . .buying fake bag is not good look at all . Mary is trendy but hasn’t got style. Her outfits are normal Biko .

41. prefer fashion to xes!

March 18, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Luv her already,she got style and she look regular,me likkey..more forward than most celebrities whom we have seen enough of already…I luv petite chick( some time I wonder why I’m tall as Agbani),everything suit them…BN pls more of this,it my favourite section in this blog!

42. www.anemistyle.com

March 18, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Pretty cool style, cute lady and love her many hair choices. FAB!

43. YVONNE

March 18, 2013 at 7:50 pm

And I know mary ichoku from high grade..she looks fab-u-lous

44. Diana

March 18, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Please make this pouting stop. The trad outfits are nice but everything else seems to be very ordinary primark newlook and topshop trend This is not style cos I see this look every Weekend on clubbers or on a very nice sunny day on the street.

• Idak

March 18, 2013 at 8:56 pm

The way you ladies make it sound like Primark and Topshop are sins unforgivable by the Holy Spirit. A top brand does not make a stylish person. That is why the most stylish persons are not the richest around. Enough of these Primark and Topshop bashing.

• Diana

March 18, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Primark is not a sin, neither is topshop. I understand personal style to be something inventive or creative not an adaptation of the styled mannequin you find at the store entrance. As much as you loved her style and by all means you are entitled to do so, I believe I can hate her style and should not be apologetic for doing so. It’s my opinion and whether you like it or not I still hold it.

• Idak

March 18, 2013 at 10:16 pm

I said nothing about liking her style. Not my kind of thing. I am more concerned about the Primark and Topshop comments. It comes off as vain and childish. Whether you hate or like her style is your prerogative and is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

• Diana

March 18, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Madam mature, if you read my comment properly you will see the word trend mentioned after the stores. I have not in anyway insinuated that the stores are crap or no good. Gok styles people with clothes from high street and still makes it super high fashion. I don’t expect her to wear Prada or be Gok, I expected her to do something a little different with the way she puts it all together so it makes a unique statement. Dats All.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

March 18, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Idak, there is a trick to wearing high street brands and being able to translate your Primark/Topshop (and can I just pause to say Topshop is “nae” cheap, biko, I only visit that overpriced joint when they’v got a sale on. I can’t shout)… where was I?

Yes, being able to translate your purchase from said high street joint into a seamless outfit that’s appreciated on the whole because you “own” the entire look without people being distracted by any deconstruction of (or unnecessary focus on) each piece and it’s origins .It’s a bit like those chicks who wear Louboutin shoes and come off as looking like “oooh, check me in my Louboutins, ignore my ill-fitting dress, it doesn’t matter because I’ve got red-bottoms on”. That’s probably where Diana’s coming from and I do agree about not being dressed exactly like a mannequin from any store. Now, that being said, I have no opinion to air about this “My Style” feature, just wanted to point out the above.

45. Amerbo

March 18, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Her style is young and fresh but why does she do her mouth like that in amost every pic

46. i no send

March 18, 2013 at 8:02 pm

yes you don’t have to wear expensive stuff to look good. she’s young, she’s fresh and she keeps it real not pretending to buy strictly designers but still looking fierce..keep it up girl….btw how do u get ur brows so fab…let me in on the secret biko….winks

47. say it

March 18, 2013 at 8:17 pm

I have come to the conclusion that to some BN readers wearing designers/expensive stuff is style..’rolls eyes’…..if this babe had worn high end designers some of you would be wowing and oohing…..she is a young girl and she dresses according to her pocket..and looks damn good at that…let her be…whether fake or not..shes rocking it with confidence…

• say it

March 18, 2013 at 8:21 pm

i myself cant stand fake items…but if it is let her be…..rock it with confidence girl

48. lele

March 18, 2013 at 8:20 pm

@BellaNaija …thank you jare ….style is relative …its one thing to say its not your style/thing ..but to start criticizing someone for looking to forever21ish is something else…thats what she can afford

• Idak

March 18, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I said nothing about liking her style. Not my kind of thing. I am more concerned about The truth is that most making the comments can barely afford better than what you see above.

• iCrossmyHeart

March 19, 2013 at 2:15 am

speak for yourself….

• Idak

March 19, 2013 at 12:00 am

49. Shee

March 18, 2013 at 8:25 pm

you will still be fine without that razz looking piercing by your lips, my personal opinion.

50. Lizzie

March 18, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Lovely, simplicity and elegance. Weldone. Mary ur sense of fashion Is trendy. Muahh.

51. Carrie Bradshaw:)

March 18, 2013 at 8:39 pm

The girl tried o…. I like most of what she’s wearing. Even if she was wearing trash sef I’d still big her up…… Why? Bcos it takes some serious balls to upload all these pix of on a public site for every tom, dick and emeka to nitpick at. Kudos to u jare…… As for the one or two badminds who can’t find anything good to say, here’s a little challenge: Upload your own pix let’s see!
    P.S: Mary u bad gan o…..but I’m badder! #justsaying Lool:)

• aunty

March 19, 2013 at 3:30 am

carrie bradshaw toh bahd! lool

• Iphie

March 19, 2013 at 7:22 am

Thanks hun. . . .

• Carrie Bradshaw:)

March 19, 2013 at 10:57 am

Who’s this Iphie person saying thanks on my behalf again? o ga o. Thanks jare Aunty *hugs*

52. ZM

March 18, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Cute. A lot of the readers criticizing her and comparing her to public figures need to have a sit. a basic one 🙂
    uberchicmichi.com

• iCrossmyHeart

March 19, 2013 at 2:16 am

And yet oga on top is trending, why? Because when you criticize, people tell you to have many sits. Where were you when people were criticizing the Commandant for his ignorance? Why didn’t you tell Channeltv to take several seats?

• Iphie

March 19, 2013 at 7:20 am

@iCrossmyheart, can you please submit your OWN style pix????????

• omototun

March 19, 2013 at 8:07 am

Ok so I was scrolling down, and told myself if I saw one more’ icrossmyheart’ comment, i’d be leaving a #hater comment…so honey here you go….HATER ni e mehn!! #kilodem(chigurl) For some reason it seems everyone’s kinda careful to use that word just cause it’s been overused but congrats to you…you are officially the first person am actually calling a Hater this year….
      chai…1000 negative comments on a regular chick’s pictures? she be celeb, politician or what?? relax oh….

• Landon

March 19, 2013 at 5:08 pm

You don’t need to keep reiterating yourself and keep acting as if your thoughts and views on style and fashion is the one and only way. Your superiority complex is just all over the place. You are like those managers who think any ideas from a subordinate is inferior and a counterfeit. I don’t remember Mary Ichoku stating she was applying to be the next Vogue or Bazaar Style consultant. Take several seats and stop acting like you are the God of style and fashion.

53. shanday

March 18, 2013 at 9:39 pm

I love her style. Pls who is her tailor. I’m in dire need of a good tailor

54. Na wa

March 18, 2013 at 9:58 pm

U need to smile more.that mouth pouting no be am

55. daniel

March 18, 2013 at 9:58 pm

This is fresh!!! Luv all d pics

56. Blossom

March 18, 2013 at 10:15 pm

I think she looks absolutely amazing!

57. Coco

March 18, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Very pretty.

58. Ms lala

March 18, 2013 at 11:13 pm

you guys be nice now……you drove some many people from submitting their photos…

59. Chic

March 18, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Stop pouting! Ok love your style at least us regular readers can relate to it. On a side note what’s up with the tilted head pose most Naija babes be doing? I don’t get it all doesn’t your neck hurt girls? I also see it mostly on Naija fashion bloggers as well…

60. Ikunkun

March 19, 2013 at 12:31 am

Na wah oh!! I thought LIB commenters had issues…but some comments on this feature have me dazed!! Abeg, this is just an everyday girl…I bet I have more money that she does, but I am not half as stylish! …yes I used the word stylish…a lot of these comments border on superiority complex…but in my books…complex na complex! so please have a couple of seats while you try to redefine style as something you don’t see everyday…please what is new under the heavens that you want this girl to do, short of going half naked like celebrities?? Her hair is somewhat always of point (different styles not your everyday Lagos girl’s Brazilian/Indian weave), homegirl even has natural hair in the first picture, her clothes and shoes are well put together….and as for the person that said these pictures are common on instagram…let us look through you phot album and we shall pick which ones are instagram worthy!!

• Iphie

March 19, 2013 at 7:21 am

Thanks hun. . . .

• Rachael

March 19, 2013 at 11:41 am

God bless you for this comment. Just exactly my thoughts. The girl is just the regular everyday girl. She never said she is trying to be a celebrity, fashion or style consultant. She took the plunge by sharing with us how she combines her outfit and the best some of you can do is be condescending.

61. PD

March 19, 2013 at 1:08 am

I love ur confidence girl……u also got a good dress sense.

62. Gigi

March 19, 2013 at 1:46 am

100% agree with @icrossmyheart. ure veryyyy on point!

anywho, her style is very mass appealing, no surprise here for d most part

63. kay

March 19, 2013 at 2:40 am

my girl needs to stop pouting

64. Focus

March 19, 2013 at 3:17 am

Flawless!!!!! beautiful girl

65. Lacoste

March 19, 2013 at 3:58 am

The pouting sha…

66. Shem

March 19, 2013 at 5:15 am

My sista oo ur very pretty! Dats all and my oga at d top confirmed that….

• TeeTee

March 19, 2013 at 9:59 am

67. Anon

March 19, 2013 at 5:39 am

The way we celebrate fakes in Nigeria hen…no comment! Those shoes are not near loubs. I am not a hater.

68. Dlapikin

March 19, 2013 at 6:00 am

Very pretty young lady. Should try going easy with the make up and the wigs/weaves overkill. You unnecessarily age yourself while you look fresh and gorgeous au naturel. Great outfits pairing as well.

69. Augustine Ogwo

March 19, 2013 at 7:35 am

BEAUTIFUL. WE DID OUR NYSC IN THE SAME BATCH. CUTE GIRL

70. maureen

March 19, 2013 at 8:56 am

she sure loves her hair and knows what works for her.totally love her stylish.chic!

if you have a minute,do check out my blog

thefunshionmistress.blogspot.com

71. Shogologobangoshe

March 19, 2013 at 9:16 am

Bella Naija,
    can you have a “my closet section”?
    so that abgayas like some people will post whats in their closets?
    Cos some are definitely too old to put up the my-style section.
    Thanks!

• Specs

March 19, 2013 at 9:47 am

hahahahaha…you name though?!! lmao!!! Am even razzer than you for being able to know what your name reads out as!!!…..you just took me back to places in my past that I have Tushly suppressed…hahahaha.
      Abi o…serious designer wearing agbayas!! #shior…

• Carrie Bradshaw:)

March 19, 2013 at 11:18 am

Errrrm……. excuse u? don’t come and deter people from expressing their sense of style here just cos u feel old and dowdy lol. STYLE has no age limit. Whoever wants to put up pictures should put them up jare let’s see.
      P.S: I say this with all due respect to u cos I’m sure you’re waay older than me. x

• Madam the Madam

March 19, 2013 at 8:02 pm

One is never too old to showcase thier style.

72. Priscy

March 19, 2013 at 9:46 am

Pretty Girl, I love her outfits, she looks so beautiful when she smiles

73. Babious

March 19, 2013 at 10:00 am

Girl got style but easy on the pout.

74. hmm

March 19, 2013 at 10:22 am

What mary has on is style……yes she might look like the shop mannequins but is stylist that dress them….the only thing is that it might not be a UNIQUE STYLE..as it is common….but it is still STYLE…

• laide

March 19, 2013 at 1:07 pm

God bless u…it might not be unique or crazy…but its style

75. Neo

March 19, 2013 at 10:32 am

I love your style darling and u are really pretty. for all d critics …i am sure the style section on BN is still open, kindly send ur pictures too

76. Akas

March 19, 2013 at 11:40 am

Lovely style am definitely getting some of these in my closet.Well done girl!!!

77. Anon

March 19, 2013 at 11:41 am

She looks nice, but doesn’t she know it?! 😀

78. la belle

March 19, 2013 at 11:49 am

But why are people like this. The segment is clearly stated “My Style” .Whether you find it to be worthy on the pages of Vogue or something you see in Seventeen Magazine really does not matter and frankly, truly inconsequential. Just appreciate it for what it is : “HER Style” Lawwwwd!! Can she live please??? All I see is a pretty young girl doing her thing, operative word here being “HER’ .Y’all should learn to live and let live and realise not everyone is YOU and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. Variety is the spice of life.

79. The Precious 1

March 19, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I love the Traditional Section. Girl if that’s the way you dress to work, then i’ll like to work in your office.

80. Roosevelt

March 19, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I love your style sense and you wear it very elegantly , looks great on you.
    tagsweekly.com

81. Dee

March 19, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Pretty girl and cute clothes!

82. anonymous

March 19, 2013 at 4:41 pm

what people consider as ‘style” this days is wearing circus clothes all in the name of looking “different” if i love wearing jeans and a tee shirt then gaddamit thats my style. besides jeans and tee shirt never go out of style

83. fabulous Dee

March 19, 2013 at 5:29 pm

@icrossmyheart, live and let live. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!

84. deetz

March 19, 2013 at 5:30 pm

boy, does she likes pouting ! LOL Anywho, she is stunning and she has a great shaped face

85. HAW

March 19, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Nice…

86. Nma

March 19, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Yaaay, BN Style is back!

I love that first Asos dress. Cute girl, but abeg do away with the pouting! It just tones the classiness of a pic all the way down.

87. tia

March 19, 2013 at 7:31 pm

cool cool..gd style..but plan hairstyles for a year..that is pushing it..hehe..i miss Primark thoughhhhhh…………..
    im looking for a lady that has her own style with clothes she gets in naija…love how peeps that are fashionistas buy from DP, ASOS, ALDO..etc..but im still looking for that X-factor…

88. Madam the Madam

March 19, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Her style is trendy but it works for her. That green kaftan/tunic was nice.

89. Mma

March 19, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Pretty.

africansweetheart.blogspot.co.uk/

• Cleo

March 20, 2013 at 8:52 am

I totally agree with you on this….

90. Aduke

March 20, 2013 at 7:17 am

Pretty girl no doubt, but sha u can POUT for Naija!!! Lol…dang! Please end this pouting asap as it spoils your beautiful face ok?! U look extra beautiful when u smile naturally! Thankx for sharing ur pics! 🙂

91. Bex

March 20, 2013 at 10:03 am

Gorgeous girl. Wish I was this adventurous with my hair….

bexluvs2dress.blogspot.com

92. Gina

March 20, 2013 at 10:18 am

beautiful babe .knows wazup

93. Treeple A

March 20, 2013 at 10:50 am

pple it is her style, and all of u criticizing shld put up ur own style lets see. In Nigeria we have a problem with complimenting other pple, we would rather emphasize on what d person is doing wrong than what he/she is doing right. She did not say she is perfect, she described her style as practical and real as she could so y r some pple complaining abt her slippers, brow etc. Just compliment her and move on.
    Mary you look gorgeous as always.

94. viva

March 20, 2013 at 12:13 pm

i m luv it

95. Abigirl

March 20, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Fake Louboutins!

96. kay king

March 20, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Wich one is fake dere nw? because you cnt afford it doesn’t mean someone else cannot…..dts why its called MY STYLE its her bloody style nt urs…..

• Neo

March 22, 2013 at 12:52 pm

SHARAP! shes from a very rich home so d loubitin can never be fake!

97. Sista

March 20, 2013 at 6:34 pm

She is too cute

98. Jo!

March 20, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Those brogues in her closet though, oh lawwwwwd
    nonsense pout

99. banke

March 20, 2013 at 9:27 pm

pretty girl, silly pout

100. Poshlady

March 21, 2013 at 8:55 am

Lovely girl,lovely outfits,love hairstyles…..u go girl…..

• Iphie

March 22, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Thanks hun….

101. Temitope Oluleye

March 22, 2013 at 8:42 am

You have a great sense of fashion! I love your style.
    Tres chic!

102. truth be told bev

March 22, 2013 at 2:21 pm

ghanaian girl who”s loling at some of ur comments.I get that everyone has an opinion n these make bella naija views a fun read, but true some o y’all need to tone it down a lil on the criticism,be constructive tho some of u started out that way u kinda came across as arrogant but i did see a hint of truth in some of the things u were saying, however, overall shes gorgeous,n her sense of style although not inventive has become her own cos she rocks it with confidence,another thing u need to knw is these style icons all picked up their sense of style from others, a bit of this here,another there all combined to create their own style so really theres nothing new under the sun.Ps. icross myy heart,u face firing squad proper lol.#naijapeoplerock#

103. Nkechi

March 22, 2013 at 8:32 pm

She looks amaaaaaazing! but i was more awed at the way she clearly described her style. Most people wont be able to describe the pieces they have on at the moment if asked, let alone explain the look they were goin for. Clearly, her ideas on how she wants to look reflects nicely on her body. btw* I NID SOME OF THOSE HAIRDOS IN MY LIFE.

104. aleesha

March 24, 2013 at 12:34 am

Oh lawd, bellanaija comments are prime entertainment! @bellanaija, pls lets have a comments award! categories should include most malicious, most humorous, most irrelevant…

105. aleesha

March 24, 2013 at 12:36 am

Oh and Mary, I think you dress really nicely. Your tailor is really good too. Can I have his/her details please? tenks

106. omada

March 25, 2013 at 2:10 am

very pretty girl, but you’re ruining your looks with all that pouting. frankly it looks silly…

107. Anna

September 18, 2015 at 10:25 am

I love very simple and nice her style feet her well ,