News

BN Beauty: 5 Easy Hairstyles You Can Do with Your Hair!

Ever had those moments where you just don’t know what to do with your natural hair? Most times the only thing you can think of doing is giving it a relaxed treatment and heading for a good old High Bun. Well that snot all you can do with your hair, braids or even your weave.

There are so many hairstyles littered on YouTube that can help your style your natural hair making it look innovative  fresh and uniquely yours. With this in mind are you willing to try seem of these amazing hair do’s with me? Here are 5 hairstyles from bloggers on YouTube to keep you looking good even when you don’t have a weave on.

1. The French Braid Fringe

Hairstyles to do with Natural Hair - BellaNaija - May2013001

When I found this hairdo on Youtube I immediately knew what I was going t have on next week. It’s fun, new and different for the regular girl who is used to doing the same hairstyles. Here Beauty & Style blogger Shirley Eniang of Meek-n-Mild is displaying a great way to do a French Braid Fringe. The hairdo is simple enough that it doesn’t look too stressful to achieve and so unique that it looks like you had it done at a salon.

Check out her tutorial below on how you too can get the French braid fringe hairstyle.

2. Milk Maid Braid

Hairstyles to do with Natural Hair - BellaNaija - May2013002

We may not have them here… but we can definitely imitate their hairstyles. The milk braid is perfect for a day at the beach, an intimate dinner or just a relaxed day at home. With this hair do you might need a bit more materials compared to the French braid fringe, but the end result makes it worth the hassle. Here Shirley is back with a great version where she has incorporated Xpressions artificial hair extensions to make the braid.

Click play to learn how to achieve this ‘do.

3. Bantu Knots (With straightened or relaxed hair)

Hairstyles to do with Natural Hair - BellaNaija - May2013004

Confession? I tried this last week and I absolutely loved it. It was different from my usual side or centre part weave and a fresh look. The hairstyle takes little or nothing to do, all you need is a mirror, some bobby pins and maybe a curling pudding (optional). The tutorial below is from www.luvnaturals.com where they show you just how easy it is to do.

4. The Hypnotic Roll

Hairstyles to do with Natural Hair - BellaNaija - May2013005

I especially loved this hairstyle because if you feel like you still want to do a high bun, it doesn’t mean you cant have fun with it. This Hypnotic Roll hairstyle looks really vintage and we all know vintage never goes out of style. Here natural hair blogger Brittany from Kysmyhair.com will show us how we can style this up do.

TIP: Instead of using the Marley hair used in the tutorial video, you can also make use of the Xpressions extensions Shirley used in her Milkmaid Braid tutorial. It would give you a varied outcome but you can still play around with it to give it your signature.

5. Twisted Braid Up Do

Hairstyles to do with Natural Hair - BellaNaija - May2013006

For those gals who want a mix between braids, twists and the up do…here you go. This retro hairstyle is great when you’re protecting your hair from harsh weather or otherwise. Here Brittany is showing us this hairstyle and just a quick tip; still keep your Xpressions extensions because you will definitely need it here. Its really quick and little or no product was used. Click play to find out more.

There you have it, 5 easy enough hairstyles that could get your hair looking fabulous. Tried any before, be sure to say so in your comments and share any useful tips you might have on spicing up our natural hair. Enjoy!

Credit: French Braid Fringe: Meek-n-Mild |Milk Maid Braid: Meek-n-Mild |Bantu Knots: Luvnaturals.com | The Hypnotic Roll: KysMyHair.com |Twisted Braid Up Do: KysMyHair

1. say yes

May 18, 2013 at 2:06 pm

omg…the girl with the bantu style…her hair though!!! how does one get hair that looooong…….
    the girl with the hypnotic roll, i liked her hair packed and heaped on her head with the tips still looking braided, at 2:22..i could rock that………..would be trying some of these soon

• asgrl

May 20, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Unless you have health issues or you’re genetically predisposed to excessively thin hair, most black women can grow their hair past shoulder. May be not all the way to the ass, but definitely past shoulder.

We do not have a culture of being careful with and taking care of our hair. Everywhere i go in lagos you just see women with the over processed brown sometimes almost gold breaking hair from the relaxers they do. And this is not to say relaxed hair can’t be long. I also follow people on youtube who have looooong relaxed hair. For instance this chick, UloveMegz youtube.com/watch?v=ki6ZucYTDrY&list=PL315B8C3226CF09A7&index=16

A lot of the women who have relaxed hair, stretch out their relaxers. i.e. instead of relaxing every 4-6 weeks, they relax every 12 weeks or longer. You may say oh my hair is too difficult to comb. Well then comb it in small small sections with a WIDE TOOTH COMB. If its still too difficult, get a bottle of warm water, mix in small conditioner or aloe vera juice, comb the hair starting from the tip and not the root. This way you avoid breaking your hair.

When i go to Nigerian hair salons i don’t let them comb my hair all willy nilly. It has to be done in sections. And if the hair girl can’t do it, i’ll do it myself.

If your ends are raggedy, cut them. Ragged ends (Split ends, single strand knots) hinder hair growth.

The same is required for both Relaxed and natural hair. You moisturize and you protect your ends. Shikena.

There is no one secret hair product that makes hair grow longer. Thats all a lie. Its primarily about technique and how well you take care of your hair. BE GENTLE.

2. honeyboo

May 18, 2013 at 2:15 pm

very exciting,cant wait to give it a try.will love to do d milk braid and bantu knot,thanks BN.

3. London's finest

May 18, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Nice

But pls post hair styles for people like “we” that cannot even pack our natural hair in “shuku” style.

Hehehe

• Cynthia

May 18, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Omg, ur comment is too funny, lmao.

• toluh

May 18, 2013 at 3:40 pm

lol

• Iris

May 18, 2013 at 6:26 pm

LOL abi? Sometimes I look in the mirror and bind my hair with the blood of Jesus.

• Ada

May 19, 2013 at 2:48 am

lmao! Iris your too funny!

• Victoria

May 23, 2013 at 10:48 am

hahahahahaahaahahahhaahahah , thats funny , I feel you

4. Coco girl

May 18, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Milk maid braid is a done deal. Its on, once I take this weave off and have my hair retouched. Txs Jennifer . Mwuah mwuah mwuah.

5. Msunderstood

May 18, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Bookmarked

6. Koyonno

May 18, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Nice, but my hair can’t do any!

• toyin

May 24, 2013 at 11:47 am

mine too

7. Ready

May 18, 2013 at 7:28 pm

This hair post is much more helpful than the last one. The fringe is gonna be my hairstyle for this week!

8. [email protected]

May 18, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Really nice and easy to do . But I must say most of these styles our mothers rocked them back in the days for example the bantu knot is what the Ibos call Isam or translated into English Periwinkle. Thanks to brazillian weaves we have forgotten our roots.

9. NNENNE

May 19, 2013 at 1:06 am

The Bantu hair is not new. My mum used to style my hair like that when I was a kid, days before a special occasion, so my hair could get curls.

10. Cindy

May 19, 2013 at 2:07 am

I love fringe hairstyle, very awesome hairstyles. Thanks

11. Camille

May 19, 2013 at 2:08 am

The hairstyle are very nice, bantu style for the week

12. Teris

May 19, 2013 at 7:14 am

“easy hairstyles” (blinks)

13. Rubynnia

May 19, 2013 at 9:48 am

This is lovely; I particularly love the front french braid and milk maid styles. For bantu knots, naaa! Sometimes it looks good to my eyes and at times, it doesn’t.

The first two styles are elegant and classy for me.

I say a big THANK YOU to the researcher of this post; well done!

14. salsera

May 19, 2013 at 10:51 am

the fringe style is also something you can do with a weave or even braids. Really good options here

15. tata

May 19, 2013 at 2:04 pm

wow,i love all wish i got much hair like dis!

16. Diya

May 19, 2013 at 5:21 pm

With what hair though? Nigerian babes and their Iya Lagos, Mohawk as a result of poor hair treatment, and few strands of hair with a lot of split ends.
    Please rather post “hairstyles you can do with weaves”, and why they should stop looking like sumo wrestlers with those lace wigs.

17. Zero

May 20, 2013 at 11:14 am

I don’t like any sef…waste of my 30secs

18. Priscy

May 20, 2013 at 11:54 am

i Love this…definitely trying the fringe , milk maid and bantu knots. Ahh…my office guys should get ready for a new me

19. pynk

May 20, 2013 at 12:11 pm

loved all, actually have hair but all this one na work.

20. cece

May 20, 2013 at 1:50 pm

I see one of my favorite youtubers, Shirley Eniang. She’s intelligent, classy and gorgeous. Wow, these ladies hair are too beautiful. Brittany, you are a doll.

21. asgrl

May 20, 2013 at 4:50 pm

We Love Shirley over here! Good God I love my natural hair and all the fantastic things i can do with it.

22. asgrl

May 20, 2013 at 4:55 pm

If your hair is natural i would recommend using the marley hair instead of the Xpression hair. Xpression hair is silky smooth and more suited to relaxed hair texture.

23. women n hair.

mytestimonys.blogspot.com/

24. Nollywood REinvented

May 21, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Bookmarked. Pinned. Might try the first one as na the only one wey my hair fit reach

25. Jovial

May 22, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Tried the last one and I loved it! Especially since my hair is not as long as hers but it still turned out great.

26. Toyin

May 24, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Yay! I’m so happy my natural hair is long and can try different styles. I love all of them. I’ll try them for sure. The truth about our hair is, when you take good care of it, it’s healthy and long, it’s so easy to care for. I know, so many times when I don’t feel like doing anything, I just pack it and ready to go.

27. Nigeriansabroad

May 26, 2013 at 12:49 am

this hair styles are cool, can’t wait to try them, most especially the milkmaid braid.

28. The Mane Captain

June 21, 2013 at 6:32 am

beautiful styles!
    Beautiful tutorials

themanecaptain.blogspot.ca

29. Make-up artist

October 4, 2013 at 6:24 pm

growing my natural hair already…though not its too long yet, but am doin lots of beautiful style with it. Now i have over 6 ple in my office carryn their natural hair and its so fine! for people wit short natural hair that hasn’t really grown, u can twist it and it luks like dreadlocks..vry pretty.

30. Bella Disuja

October 28, 2016 at 6:41 am

In This post, Bella Disuja providing the best hair oil for curly hair so you can use it.
    Black weave hairstyles

31. Bella Disuja

March 15, 2017 at 9:53 am

ONYC Hair will continue to redefine the expectations of women on a global scale. Special care and attention is always put into collecting and sorting our hair to ensure that the natural color, texture and sheen are maintained.