Music

“It Was A Fiasco” | Jesse Jagz Talks Chocolate City, His Music Journey Thus Far & More in His Mini-documentary “Rebuilding JAGZNation”

Jesse-Jagz

With his second album out, Jesse Jagz has put out a new mini-documentary, “Rebuilding JAGZNation” that shows his journey right from the very beginning up until now.

It’s about 23 minutes long and touches very dicey subjects as signing on and leaving Chocolate City, ‘sibling rivalry’ with M.I, starting up his own record label and so much more.

Check on it!

"What do you really do for a living any way?", "Your face looks familiar. Was it on TV?" These questions follow me around everyday. Why don't you join them. Instagram | Twitter: @Onos_

1. FRESH

July 16, 2013 at 3:25 pm

This guy is a music brain jor #king

2. SSSSSSS

July 16, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Maybe he should have just remained with chocolate city because he was a better musician then than now.

3. asgrl

July 16, 2013 at 4:35 pm

After watching this I love Jesse even more. Intense guy but focus and driven. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You can definitely see his personal and artistic growth. I truly wish him all the best in his new ventures.

4. Daniel

July 16, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Wow…He is deep but looks lean though and not very healthy…. is he using something? anyway i wish him all the best.

5. KayCee

July 16, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Is it just me or can anyone else see that this guy looks like he is addicted to something. He looks high in almost all scenes outside of the initial interview room. Please pray for this guy. He’s too talented to go down that road!

• Bliss

July 16, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Sharapp there! Have you finished praying for yourself? And MI wants to know “have you eaten today?”

6. Remilekun

July 16, 2013 at 7:30 pm

I love where his mind is at…Über talented brother and you’re already shining!

7. Somebody..

July 16, 2013 at 7:35 pm

I love jagz… He’s such a dude.. Very talented too..

8. Nash

July 16, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Jesse Abaga!!! Wana yaro!!! Without a doubt Jesse is a genius ‘cos everyone can see how deep and grounded he is. Jagz u r simply phenomenal.

9. Somebody..

July 16, 2013 at 7:40 pm

*deep

10. Mama Diva

July 16, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Well he is good and all but he is definitely hooked on ” something”unfortunately people be all praising him very few will tell him the truth.Jesse needs to clean up,his music will be off the charts if he does. # people hate the truth,luckily the truth doesn’t care

• Bliss

July 16, 2013 at 11:54 pm

Do you have a doctorate in psychology? Jeez…How about your own personal problems, have you cleaned them up? Mscheww.

• KayCee

September 27, 2013 at 6:10 pm

LOL at you getting upset at other people’s observations and opinions….>Very Mature – NOT! lolol lo joko jare!

11. Amaha soundcloud.amahaonline.com

July 17, 2013 at 4:04 am

I predict that one day, sooner even than I can decipher, this guy and I will enter a studio and deliver something amazing. One of a very short list of Nigerian musicians I respect.

12. The Fairy GodSister

July 17, 2013 at 6:17 am

Hmmm, lovely interview and the world over knows that Jagz is a big, overflowing bag of talent. I didn’t think he was slurring or under the influence of anything like you psychologists thought (and I’ve met him severally, worked on the team that set up his album launch so I think I can say I know him to an extent).

But, just like I said when I first read this interview in ThisDay, this affinity and public declaration for weed is troubling, and the reason why the UN and UNICEF won’t be ringing him anytime soon to ask him to be their ambassador.

That’s it for me.

13. Precious

July 17, 2013 at 9:40 am

i like that he is real to himself, i will buy his album!

14. Munachi

July 17, 2013 at 10:47 am

Michael Jackson was hooked on pain killers, R. Kelly is hooked on little girls, Bob Marley….. Jesse Jagz has never pretended to be a role model of any sort, he is an artist just like MJ, Marley and the rest. we all have personal lives lets keep that aside and enjoy the music….abi u wan drink panadol for another person headache?

15. Idak

July 17, 2013 at 11:15 am

If you truly love the bundle of talent that is Jesse Abaga, you’ll will be worried for his well being. Dude is way too talented for us to wish away this indulgence of his.
    Na so Majek start o!

16. Daniel

July 17, 2013 at 11:27 am

@Munachi – We are not drinking panadol for his headache but if you see an artist that you like seem to be on a path that may destroy him, you do have a responsibility to speak and not watch him fall into the ditch. It’s his life no doubt but I offer my 2 cents. I wont see someone on a path to destruction or about to fall in a ditch and close my eyes & say it is another person’s headache.

17. konne

July 17, 2013 at 3:41 pm

love love the last song. good luck man. this is an opportunity for you to grow and do something for yourself.

18. Tomi

July 17, 2013 at 5:41 pm

I think Jesse is a talented musician. However, I think he is refusing to take responsibility for his actions and inactions. Relationships are two way roads, if Chocolate City doesn’t reach out to him, is it any wrongdoing on his part to reach out?

I think his statement that “There is no music business in Nigeria” is an insult to the Kenny Ogungbes, Obi Asikas, Audu Maikoris, and Dano Adeneyes of the world. People have invested and risked their reputation and money into ensuring that there is a platform for all these artists to shine and ride on.

Yes he is an exceptional talent, but isn’t all music industries the world over driven by a whole team of Marketing, PR, A & R, Brand consultants, etc gurus? Music is a product that needs to be sold as such.

19. Tomi

July 17, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Yes he is an exceptional talent, but aren’t all music industries the world over driven by a whole team of Marketing, PR, A & R, Brand consultants, etc gurus? Music is a product that needs to be sold as such.

20. Concerned_Boyfriend

July 17, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Well said Tomi. Here’s what my take on that docu-interview. First of all, I’m a huge Jagz fan and my opinion on the direction he’s taking his career is a culmination of his works from the inception of his career till date. From that interview, it’s obvious there was some contention with him and chocolate city management as regards creative control. Management expects a particular sound, artist wants to do something entirely different. This is a classic case of artist vs management friction. Management wants to dictate the direction of the music (and should rightfully do so because they own the artist). Prodigies like Jesse Jagz sees music differently and are inclined to do what comes from the heart and won’t compromise to suit management. Is the artist always right ?. No!. In the music industry, it’s a gamble to experiment with different sound especially if you’ve built a fan-base on one particular sound. You either hit it big and leave timeless impression or lose and face the indignation.
    I’ve listened to a few tracks from the Jesse Jagznation Vol1 CD and I felt it’s not what the market (Nigeria) wants, it’s a bit over Alaba as very few would appreciate the artistry. This is not necessarily bad for industry or the artist because we need to change the direction of the Nigerian music and it would take people like Jesse Jagz to raise that bar. Artist like Mode9 though not commercially successful stuck to his script and did what appealed to him. Today, no other rap artist in Nigeria has the street clout and credibility that Modo (Mode9) has.

21. Easy E

July 21, 2013 at 11:07 am

Great input Concerned Boyfriend, however, record labels don’t own artistes; and as long as they keep acting like they do, they’ll keep losing artistes.

22. Changfa

August 3, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Shege yaro…
    Iscan yaro…
    Yaro abaga, mai swagga
    wai jesse jaga
    with jagznation
    – u, u are the bomb, keep it up
    nigga JA is by u