News

Munaluchi Bride Magazine: Colourful & Happy Days! Yemisi and Tosin’s Traditional Engagement & White Wedding In Texas

BN-Yoruba-Wedding-Texas-RHphotoarts028

Today BellaNaija Weddings in collaboration with Munaluchi Bride Magazine brings you Yemisi and Tosin‘s beautiful Yoruba traditional engagement and white wedding.

Yemisi, an OB-GYN, was told there was a God fearing guy she had to meet by an “Aunty” who works at her hospital. Turns out Aunty knew best because a year and 3 months into their relationship, Tosin proposed to Yemisi on a romantic walk on the beach, complete with his knees in the sand.

Blue and red were the colours of the day at their engagement while bright fall colours – orange, green, and purple were the wedding colours. The couple changed into traditional aso-oke at the end of their wedding reception as well.

Enjoy!
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Bride: Oluyemisi Adeyemi
Groom: Oluwatosin Femi-Fowode
Wedding Date: October 27, 2012
Location: Texas, USA

How They Met
From the bride
The love of my life Tosin (aka Tosino) and I met through our mutual “Aunty” that I work with at the hospital. I remember that Monday morning clearly; after rounds, Aunty and I started chatting and she said, “I have someone I would like you to meet. He is God fearing, handsome, kind and smart. I think you guys would be great together.” The moment we met was quite memorable, I was instantly drawn to his cheerful and outgoing nature and the more time we spent together, the more inseparable we became.

The Proposal
From the groom
God had planted a seed for me and fifteen months into our relationship, with prayers and blessings, I harvested the seed, and made the most important decision of my life as I knew she was the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. I started to craft a plan on how I would ask her to marry me. Browsing online for hours, regularly pounding the pavements of Houston stores and malls, I was on a mission. Many months, days, hours, minutes and seconds later, I finally found “the ring” – that was personal to me and symbolized the unwavering love, passion, respect, admiration and commitment I have for the most beautiful person in this world. I can truly say that with this experience all the jewelry store personnel in Houston now know my name! Tell them I sent you when you go get yours…LOL

Now I had to find a way to pop the question, my soul mate is very inquisitive so I had to get Yemisi physically out of my space to develop a plan. One magical weekend in September 2011, she traveled to her friend Ijeoma’s bachelorette party in Phoenix. On the day she flew back to Houston, I picked her up at the airport and we drove to Galveston. Strolling down the Galveston beach in the sunset, I started telling my baby how much I had missed her, love and care for her, and with both knees down on the sandy Galveston beach, I proposed to Yemisi on her birthday, September 25 and asked her to be my wife and soul mate. She lovingly looked at me and said “YES”. At that moment, I knew I was the luckiest man in the world!

Culture
We are both from Nigeria, both Yorubas! We actually had a traditional wedding the day before at the Hess Club in Houston. It is also known as the Engagement, where the groom and his family actually come to ask for the bride’s hand in marriage with exchange of gifts (also known as dowry).

For more of Tosin and Yemisi’s beautiful wedding, visit https://munaluchibridal.com/?p=30912

Yoruba Traditional Engagement

BN-Yoruba-Wedding-Texas-RHphotoarts001 BN-Yoruba-Wedding-Texas-RHphotoarts002 BN-Yoruba-Wedding-Texas-RHphotoarts004 BN-Yoruba-Wedding-Texas-RHphotoarts005 BN-Yoruba-Wedding-Texas-RHphotoarts007 BN-Yoruba-Wedding-Texas-RHphotoarts009 BN-Yoruba-Wedding-Texas-RHphotoarts012 BN-Yoruba-Wedding-Texas-RHphotoarts018

White Wedding

BN-Yoruba-Wedding-Texas-RHphotoarts023BN-Yoruba-Wedding-Texas-RHphotoarts047 BN-Yoruba-Wedding-Texas-RHphotoarts026 BN-Yoruba-Wedding-Texas-RHphotoarts027BN-Yoruba-Wedding-Texas-RHphotoarts050
BN-Yoruba-Wedding-Texas-RHphotoarts031BN-Yoruba-Wedding-Texas-RHphotoarts033BN-Yoruba-Wedding-Texas-RHphotoarts029 BN-Yoruba-Wedding-Texas-RHphotoarts034 BN-Yoruba-Wedding-Texas-RHphotoarts053Nigerian-Yoruba-Wedding-Texas-Rhphotoarts068 Nigerian-Yoruba-Wedding-Texas-Rhphotoarts070BN-Yoruba-Wedding-Texas-RHphotoarts039 BN-Yoruba-Wedding-Texas-RHphotoarts060

Vendors
Venue: Hotel Derek – www.hotelderek.com
Cake: Edible Designs by Jessie – www.edibledesignsbyjessie.com
Cake Table: Keisha’s Kreations – www.keishaskreations.com
Hall Decorations: VIP Productions – vidrioinspiredproductions.vpweb.com
Photographer: RH Photo Arts – www.rhphotoarts.com
Event Planner/Designer: A Conceal Affair – work.aconcealaffair.com
Wedding Invitation: Elegant Custom Invitation – www.elegantcustominvitations.com
Wedding Stationery: Vivian Jade – hvivianjade.com
Videographer: Golden Icons – hwww.goldenicons.com
Ceremony Location: St Lukes Methodist Church – www.stlukesmethodist.org
Hair/Makeup: Lyzadora Beauty Consultants – lyzadora.carbonmade.com
Headtie/Gele: Segun Gele – segungele.com
Shoes: Benjamin Adams – www.benjaminadamslondon.com/
Earrings and Bracelet: Najite Creative – www.najite.com/najitecreative/
Grooms Suit: Bengjof Couture – www.bengjof.com/

We love weddings as much as you do – get in touch for inquiries, inspiration & more!

E-mail: weddings (at) bellanaija.com
Google + | Instagram: BellaNaijaWeddings | Twitter: BellaNaijaWed | FB: BellaNaijaWeddings

1. Em

August 14, 2013 at 8:11 am

Awww…. He knew he was the luckiest man in the world! Men that know Wat they want… #ilove

• Blossom

August 14, 2013 at 11:33 pm

BEAUTIFUL DRESS! And I love that this post wasn’t bombed with one million photos.

*They’re classy and they know it!*

2. COOKIESKIN

August 14, 2013 at 8:16 am

Beautiful…….

3. Hurperyermie

August 14, 2013 at 8:22 am

wow lovely couple wishing them all the best

4. shhhhh

August 14, 2013 at 8:53 am

Lovely couple, Jah bless your union.

5. toyin

August 14, 2013 at 8:54 am

nice

6. hauwa

August 14, 2013 at 9:03 am

Beautiful couple… i love the groom ooo. so fun and bubbly and with a healthy sense of humour. My dream kinda man. God help me o.

7. larrypat

August 14, 2013 at 9:11 am

So colourful,HML

8. billionaire in grace

August 14, 2013 at 9:57 am

Nice wedding

9. Ok o

August 14, 2013 at 10:19 am

All these Aunties sef that match make…hmh…I duff my hat eee. Anywho. HML to dem

10. X- Factor

August 14, 2013 at 10:34 am

Nice one!

11. @ajiriavae

August 14, 2013 at 11:17 am

This should be a lesson to all my ladies who never let anyone introduce them to anyone and yet complain about being single.

ajiristyle.blogspot.com/

• bnigerian

August 14, 2013 at 2:23 pm

You can’t blame them sometimes. After so called “friends” have introduced them to countless guys that make them start questioning said friendship-hey, these friends usually have good intentions so I don’t mean to knock anyone down. E.g Babe has a Ph.D, is very into education and always says how she’d like to be with someone who at least has a Bachelor’s degree. You won’t blame her for refusing a hook-up with someone who has a Primary 6 certificate and is still soul/career searching. Scenario 2, babe speaks clean, flawless English and is hooked up with a guy who can’t string words together to form a simple sentence (these are just examples). Abeg, babes have been through so much ‘abuse’ in the name of hookup jare. LOL!

Ahem, pardon the epistle.

• bnigerian

August 14, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Beautiful couple, love story and wedding. Happy married life! 🙂

• Funsh

August 26, 2013 at 2:30 pm

i love love and absolutely love your comments!!! infact, i’m holding two thumbs up for you for the on point analysis! 🙂

12. Abim

August 14, 2013 at 11:24 am

Congrats! Wish you the very best!

13. Godslove22

August 14, 2013 at 11:41 am

Lovely couple…..God bless there union

14. Mz Socially Awkward...

August 14, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Awwww, y’all look so lovely together and what a beautiful story/wedding. May your love for each other grow with your marriage. And yes, oh, hats off to inquisitive “Aunties” who are always harrassing their single neices/cousins/friends about some nice-young-man-they-want-you-to-meet. At least you don’t have to pay them like you would with Eharmony or match.com… 🙂

15. Posh

August 14, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I so much love how the church is full with people to witness the marriage blessing, which is the most important occasion but if is in Nigeria no one will come to church waiting for the reception. So much love the church part. God bless them

16. Yemy

August 14, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Congrats yemisi , you guys look great together may God bless your union!

17. zoomzoomzoom

August 14, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Beautiful wedding. God bless your marriage.

18. missy me

August 14, 2013 at 3:42 pm

you are so right about the church part, the presence of many people at the church made the church scene very beautiful. If it were in Nigeria the church would be so empty, I attended a wedding in June this year, the church auditorium was so empty we weren’t more than 20 pple. On getting to the reception, we couldn’t get a place to sit and the reception hall was sooo… Large, yet no place to sit. I was so annoyed and kept wondering what is so important about the reception that people couldn’t honour the couples with their presence at the church.

• Dammy

August 16, 2013 at 1:00 am

Which is why we need to break the norm of making reception seem compulsory. Many of the people wey come wedding , na rice dem come chop (I’m also a culprit), and you can only chop food at the reception. I think deleting a reception from the programme may be weird but its definitely cost-effective but then that’s the norm. So till Jesus comes, I don’t expect to see a large gathering at the church ceremony in Nigerian weddings except na the G.O. of the church dey wed, in which case many people are only coming there to gossip about the bride’s dressing.

• Hmmmn

August 23, 2013 at 4:33 am

Hmmm, Dammy…u are so right about that though. But not having a wedding reception though? I don’t see that happening sha. Our Naija people like party nau…

• aj

August 16, 2013 at 4:51 am

What do expect? People love free food.

• aj

August 16, 2013 at 4:52 am

lol you*

19. Tutu

August 14, 2013 at 4:12 pm

This is a very colourful wedding indeed…May your lives be more colourful in Jesus Name, Amen.
    By the way, i think its a cultural thingy in Naija not to attend church weddings, not nice though, least u can do is honour the couple with ur presence whilst they’re being joined…

20. Msunderstood

August 15, 2013 at 2:32 am

Tosino, tintin.
    Congratulations.

21. Kristin of byPetronella Photography

August 15, 2013 at 12:11 pm

What an absolutely beautiful couple and love story. The amount of time and thought he put into the ring search and proposal speaks volumes about their special connection. Gorgeous wedding dress and love the pop of color in the bouquet!

22. kemi

August 15, 2013 at 2:09 pm

AWWWWW see my Tosin Fowode o! TOYAN OF LIFE!!! congrats darling! God bless your home.. you picked a correct babe too.. regards to tayo, tolu and the twins !

23. ‘I ASKED THE LADIES WHERE JESUS WAS WHEN OUR PEOPLE WERE DYING DURING THE BIAFRA WAR’ – READ GENERAL OJUKWU’S ADC’S STORY ON http://mytestimonys.blogspot.ru/2013/07/bishop-obi-onubogu-testifies_25.html

August 15, 2013 at 2:51 pm

totally cute

24. iba

August 15, 2013 at 8:13 pm

OH my did you see that CAKE?

• aj