News

World Bank: “100 Million Nigerians live in Destitution”

N 100 Million Nigerians are Living in Abject Poverty - November 2013 - BellaNaija

From an outside perspective, one will expect Nigerians to be the most comfortable people in the world.

After all, we have a maximum crude oil production capacity of 2.5 million barrels per day (According to NNPC) and then there’s the  story of the young moneyed Nigerians who are living it UP (Click here to read).

But unfortunately that’s certainly not the case.

On Tuesday 12th November 2013, the World Bank Country Director for Nigeria Marie Francoise Marie-Nelly, was at the World Bank’s Country Programme Portfolio Review in Enugu.

According to Punch, she revealed that about 100 million Nigerians live in abject poverty.

Marie revealed that the number of Nigerians living in destitution make up 8.33% of the total number of people living in destitution around the world.

“One billion two hundred thousand people live in destitution out of which 100 million are Nigerians. Inequality is rising in many developing nations”, she said.

She did also reveal that the World Bank’s commitment to Nigeria stands at $5.34 Billion. The number of is said to reduce drastically by 2030.

1. L.C

November 14, 2013 at 10:38 am

So Marie is saying that of 160 million Nigerians, only 60 million are living well? I see.

2. Wale

November 14, 2013 at 10:43 am

I will put it more like 150 million, it is really sad when you compare the standard of living of the so-called middle class in Nigeria to the poor in developed countries, there is really no difference.
    There is nothing in most part of the country, people live in abject poverty. Only a handful of cities like Lagos, Abuja, Akwa Ibom, PH etc have any semblance of development; the other cities are glorified villages. Our original prime city Ibadan is now really a big village with a clueless money miss road as governor, as is the case with most other states. Until the people take back their country and demand a change, in five years the figures will be much worse. Most of the few progress we see in Lagos and the rest are not sustainable at this rate. The city managers do not have enough money to maintain what they have built or can’t afford to expand on them because the funds simply aren’t there. We already have food insecurity in the country. The basic you all the very basic needs.

3. Modella

November 14, 2013 at 10:55 am

Na so oooo

4. Yaw

November 14, 2013 at 11:00 am

I believe we the youths need to stand up and fight corruption and injustice! We re they leaders of tomorrow but there seems not to be any tomorrow. We should start now and fight our corrupt leaders!. I know poverty is everywhere in the world but our own is worst due to the fact that our leaders re doing nothing to change the face of things. THE TIME IS NOW!!! WE CAN START A PEACEFUL PROTEST WHILE PEEPS IN DIASPORA WILL DO SAME JUST LIKE WE DID DURING OCCUPY NIGERIA.

5. Anne

November 14, 2013 at 11:02 am

When u read only BN and u’re a Non-Nigerian u’ll think all Nigerians are rich, do big expensive weddings, shop abroad, always partying, wear heavy make-up, long flowing mongolian hair……..:P…..then it hit u, Nigeria is in West Africa, right? Where most people are poor except politicians and those with political connections. BN pls post my comment. Thanks!

• ms lala

November 14, 2013 at 12:12 pm

where is the like button ….please its needed fast…
      my dear that’s what i keep thinking…and the sick thing about it is that 100million that are poor will do worse if given the opportunity to make change. which saddens my heart

6. Mrs Dangote (nee Anonymous)

November 14, 2013 at 11:19 am

Looking at the picture though, there should be a way to properly dispose electronic waste such as TVs. That’s a business opportunity waiting to be tapped into.
    *scratches head*

7. Bleed Blue

November 14, 2013 at 12:11 pm

From the Tatler article to this…rude awakening of the necessary kind 🙁

8. ty

November 14, 2013 at 12:51 pm

i was doing a very small job in the uk and i was paid close
    to 300pounds per week. and i kept worrying my parents that i want
    to come back to naij and they said to do what? kpmg pays 90k naira
    per month. coupled with d traffic and stress of living in naij. its
    then it hit me, that i earn about 600pounds every 2weeks here for d
    most trivial job here ind uk at 8pounds per hour. aint no way im
    comin back to naij to slave in a bank that will pay me 150k naira
    monthly. impossible.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

November 14, 2013 at 1:39 pm

90K Naira a month? You KPMG staff were ballin’, na! Lemme put it more into perspective for you – I practised in a top law firm in PH (and I’m not bragging, that learned Snr. Advocate runs one of the most highly respected law offices in the city) and when I joined, we were paid 19K naira a month. I rejoiced because I knew people working in firms that paid 5K a month. When our salaries got increased to 24K naira a month, I rejoiced even louder. And that job wasn’t a walk in park, let me tell you, I put in long hours and worked HARD for the privilege of earning my salary.

It’s only after I left that I understood my salary met my needs because I lived at home, ate food at home & drove a car from my parents’ garage (man pikin had to hustle for extra-curricular legal work by the side to see any additional cash). The story of a so-called professional in Nigeria and there are too many being grossly underpaid, because the employers can get away with it (Oga’s kids didn’t attend Nigerian Uni’s and the family lived a plush lifestyle). Imagine what kind of standards of living apply to both the educated and non-educated people struggling to make ends meet.

The hustle is very real in Naija.

• whocares

November 14, 2013 at 4:26 pm

totally unrelated to the article but I was thinking of going to law school/ work for a while in Nigeria.. 15 thousand naira a month you said? ahh I don’t know about this again o. but do you think its worth going to do law school there? this is the decision that has been plaguing my life lately. me I want to carry my bag and jejely do un internship in spain or anywhere else but people say if I don’t go to Nigeria for law school I may never get a chance to work there at all. and at some point in my life I really want to. don’t vex that I am turning you into careers advisor.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

November 15, 2013 at 1:36 pm

@whocares, definitely take a couple of years off to
      complete your NLS stint if you ever want to work as a legal
      professional in Nigeria even if you intend to stay inhouse and not
      practice. It’s simply a function of how fixated we are on the form
      rather than the content, you’re not really considered as being
      legally trained in Nigeria if you can’t produce a call-to-Bar
      certificate. As with everything related to progressive areas in the
      country, you should stick to Lag and Abj in your search for viable
      firms. After I left Nigeria I met a young barrister who told me the
      firm she worked for in Lagos paid newly qualified lawyers N150k per
      month. I almost passed out in shock – that one na my salary for
      6months, na… As for the chick below complaining about 15% tax in
      the UK while enjoying the benefit of a sane and safe environment to
      study in, I can only shake my head… Typical Naija mentality of
      wanting something for nothing…

• toke

November 15, 2013 at 1:00 am

u havent included the bills you pay from that ur mega salary wat of tax 15%. am also in the uk I HATE IT. especially the weather. I cant wait to finish my masters and run back home. I miss nigeria. d weda here is so horrible i rather slave where am doing wat i love than to be doing menial jobs. we Nigerians beta apprc8 wat we have. u will wear like 4 cloths to go out.

9. William

November 14, 2013 at 2:42 pm

this is an act of dehumanization… of course! who is to
    blame, the poor are always at the mercy of the rich… even when
    any of the poor is fortunate, he quikly forget his background and
    those he left behind! when we make it lets make other smile
    too…

• Mrs Dangote (nee Anonymous)

November 14, 2013 at 4:28 pm

The secret is you have to make others smile even before you make it…..

10. nene

November 14, 2013 at 7:21 pm

haba. this doesn’t even make sense. what a useless exaggeration! 100 million ke?

11. toke

November 15, 2013 at 12:48 am

we nigerians shouldnt just believe every thing we hear or read, i just goggled the ladies name on world bank website and nothing came out. 100million is over exaggeration i also checked on the world bank website there was no such figure so please be sure of ur facts before telling the public. Thanks

12. NNENNE

November 15, 2013 at 4:02 am

Nigeria has everything… youthful population, manpower, resources,etc. What we need are leaders that will connect the dots. Unfortunately we are all greedy including the poor that we have been unable to choose good leaders. What are elections for after all?

13. Leah

November 15, 2013 at 4:47 am

Meanwhile politicians are furnishing their homes with gold

14. Annie

November 16, 2013 at 9:19 am

I’m surprised people think 100 million is an under estimate, even in Lagos, most people live in poverty , then start to go into the provinces. As a medic, I have had the privilege of working in different parts of the country and there is absolutely nothing to celebrate.

15. whocares

November 18, 2013 at 3:56 pm

@Ms S.. thank you. I only just saw your response.

16. jay