News

Ariyike Writes: The Ikoyi Husband

Everyday, I wake up by 7.30a.m just in time to take our daughter to school. By that time, the old woman that calls herself my wife along with her two house helps and Phillipino au-pair would have done a fine job of getting our princess ready for school. Before you crucify me for calling her “old”, Let me inform you that my wife is 20 years older than me. This woman was already a grown *** woman before I was born.

In my usual dress code that was gradually becoming more like a super hero’s costume, I wore my casual patterned shorts, a blue Ralph Lauren tee, brown sandals and my Ray bans. Off to school we went.

I was back from school runs in no time. On getting home, I was welcomed by my wife, her friend and the friend’s pretty younger sister who looked extremely familiar. I think she was the babe I tried to block at Sip the other night. While trying not to make eye contact with anyone, I said my hellos and moved on swiftly into the sitting room. As I brought out my X-box, I could hear my Madam’s friends gushing about how her ring still looked brand new after two years of marriage. Of course, my bragging wife gave her usual response of “If you’re worth it, he will go all out to buy you the best. You know this 2.5 carat Tiffany set Kola back a whooping 41,500 dollars”. She went further to say “You don’t even want to know how much my darling spent on our customised wedding bands”.

I remember thinking to myself that babes can be shallow sha. “E ro pe emi Kola, omo Okokomaiko ma naa 41,500 dollars lori ring oshi? Baba e lo ti set back” meaning “Do you think that I, Kola a guy from Okokomaiko will buy a ring for 41,500 dollars? It’s her father that she has set back”. Excuse my Yoruba, it’s just that most times, when I think deeply, I do so in my native language.

As I switched on my X-box to start tanning my game, I overheard them talking about how there are no good men out there anymore. You should have heard how they were cooing about how my wife is so lucky to have a handsome man like me. Her friend kept saying “Kola is such a good guy, his type is very rare these days”. I almost puked out game cartridges from my mouth when I heard my wife say “That’s why I’m the luckiest girl on earth”. *Girl sha…More like old mama*

This is a woman who I can count how many things I’ve said to this year. A woman who has never cooked for me. We live like strangers in this house. We don’t even sleep in the same room and we both know that we’re miserable in this marriage. The only time we communicate is when she wants to have sex and of course me, being the bad boy I am would never say no to sex. In the heat of the moment, she calls me the “banana man”. Yes, we live in Ocean Parade, Banana Island, Ikoyi but that’s not why she calls me “BM” *Winks*

Sometimes, I wonder if Caroline’s friends are dumb enough to believe all she says about me and our marriage especially when her friends who I should ordinarily be calling Aunty Joy, Aunty Fati and Aunty Bisi pass silly comments like “Caro, I tap into your annointing”. These women are still looking for love in their 50s. After all, Caro finally found love at age 42 but they tend to forget that their own fathers are not as rich as my father-in-law who is probably the richest man most of them would ever meet in their lifetime.

On our wedding day, he gave us our place in Banana Island – a block of 12 serviced apartments on Glover road Ikoyi where we would be receiving rent of 700,000 dollars annually; a Range Rover Evoque for Caro, a Range Rover sport for me. Both SUVs specially delivered to us by the car dealer himself. We also got an all-expense paid honeymoon to 4 different continents and a host of other gifts.The cheques his friends gave us amounted to millions of Naira. If you were me, would you ever work again considering the fact that in my past life, I was just your everyday hustler?

Caro must never even know that I’m yet to complete my O.N.D. Now I’m regretting telling her that I finished from the University of Lagos because they won’t allow me buy a degree from there. I should have called a less popular University. Maybe they would have been able to “sort” me out.

It’s easy for you to call me all kinds of names like gold digger, scrub, thief, money grabbing gigolo and all but a man’s gotta do what a man’s got to do. All the while I was living in Okokomaiko, I always told myself that I would make it in life. So I made sure I attended primary and secondary school by force. I also read a lot, I would pick up old newspapers to read just to brush up my literacy skills and my girlfriend, Chi Chi was always there to encourage me.

My heart still belongs to Chi Chi, she has always been the love of my life from our childhood days in Okoko. Infact, we’re still together. I’m currently paying her school fees in Bowen University, Iwo and I just bought her parents a house in Lekki. These are people who never dreamt of coming to visit friends on the Island. Now, they live here on the Island close to me. It’s almost as if the Lekki-Ikoyi bridge was built for me because it’s very easy to go see my babe in Lekki.

I’ll stay married to my ‘old cargo’ because I don’t ever want to go back to poverty. Even if I’m to cry out of frustration, I’ll feel happier doing so in my Range Rover instead of the Danfo buses I was once accustomed to.

I am not ashamed to say that I am the latest Lagos big boy (LBB). I am the guy that pops a minimum of 15 bottles of any bottle my love interest at a club decides to drink, I am the man that would buy the only bottle of Gouts de Diamants at the club so that the real rich kids can bow. I am that guy that stops to pick up prostitutes at night by the law school junction in Victoria Island. I am the man who lives off my wife and father-in-law’s wealth. I am that father who loves his little princess with a passion. I am a kept man. I am the Ikoyi husband.

So I’m surprised I haven’t read any article about this new trend of “babes paying for their engagement ring” or “rich babes buying husbands” topic since it seems to be the “in thing” now. The funniest part is when these babes even post pictures on Instagram with silly hash tags like #OMG #Proposalthings #Hejustpoppedthequestion #Helikeditandheputaringonit. Oh please!

BellaNaijarians, Is it okay for a chic who pays for her engagement ring to lie to her friends that it was her man that bought it? Feel free to speak your mind and if you have any friend who falls into this category, tell her I said twale!
Ariyike Akinbobola is a lawyer turned media personality. She currently has her own TV show “Reflections with Ariyike” and she’s also a Nigerian correspondent for Good morning Africa and Planet Radio TV (PRTV). She is married with children. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @LadyAriyike.

Ariyike Akinbobola, popularly referred to as Lady Ariyike, is a foreign trained lawyer and senior immigration analyst. She is an award winning TV host, author, MC, content creator, and humanitarian. She also coaches immigrant families relocating abroad on expectations and how to navigate their new reality.

Ariyike is the founder of Ariland Entertainment where she showcases the African culture, fashion, lifestyle and Immigrant experiences through storytelling and film. She previously worked as a talk show host and TV producer for over 7 years abroad and gained experience in TV presenting, production, editing, writing TV treatments and scripts for TV and acting.  Ariyike has a certificate in Child Protection: Children’s Rights in Theory and Practice from Harvard X. A Diploma in TV Presenting from the prestigious London Academy of Media, Film and TV.

She was recognized as one of the 100 most inspiring women in Nigeria in 2019. She has won several awards such as WAW Award, London. UNICEF/UNFPA Frown Award - Female Genital Mutilation Abandonment Advocate of the year, La Mode Humanitarian of the year, Mademoiselle Role Model Award, The Women’s Federation for World Peace - Ambassador for Peace Award amongst others.

Ariyike, through her Ariyike Arise Initiative, has helped to fund the education of Children in disadvantaged communities. Through their schools outreach, they counsel, coach and enlighten children and teenagers about the importance of Peace, Education, Empowerment and Community Development.

She is a guest columnist on Bellanaija.com and she volunteers as a Content Creator Partner for the United Nations Refugee Agency in Canada (UNHCR). Ariyike is married with Children. Her book, The Cost of Our Lives, is available on Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/COST-OUR-LIVES-Pandemic/dp/B093R5TKCJ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ariyike+the+cost+of+our+lives&qid=1632077452&sr=8-1

1. Tweeny Tee

December 17, 2013 at 11:17 am

LOOOOOOL!!!!!

• Wooooo

December 17, 2013 at 6:53 pm

SINGLES THANK GOD YOU ARE NOT YET IN A TRAP!!! Singles,

2. Debby

December 17, 2013 at 11:20 am

Cant laugh oooooo, nice one! Real House husbands of Ikoyi!

• Zurielle

February 24, 2014 at 8:59 am

It’s hilarious but true,most guys in final year (Uni) aspire to impregnate the daughter of a wealthy man so as to buy into their in-laws wealth.

3. Tee

December 17, 2013 at 11:21 am

This is fiction, right? abi is this truly happening in Nigeria? – Someone help a confused lady.

4. DAMMY

December 17, 2013 at 11:22 am

awww so Ariyike is married with children…. never knew congrats.

5. nnenna

December 17, 2013 at 11:22 am

this is very much real, i get a lot of this kind of gist from all dis married island big boys, God help we ladies. instead of me to give a guy my money or buy my own ring, i would rather be a second wife to the arab guys. Good raddiance

• nwanyi na aga aga

December 17, 2013 at 12:12 pm

loooooooooooool! Babe I respect ur hustle! hehehehehe! 2nd wife to arabs boys indeed, you really have no business with poverty!lol!

• Jaimie

January 2, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Babe we are on d same page lol

6. linda

December 17, 2013 at 11:27 am

so so funny……….. #idon’tknowwhattosay

7. Nathaniel's Daughter

December 17, 2013 at 11:30 am

This one pass me o. Paying for one’s engagement ring? That’s one absurd thing to do!

8. JAY

December 17, 2013 at 11:31 am

i luv u Ariyike for this write up…this thing called marriage is so messed up now in our society. God help us all.

9. Adorable Diva

December 17, 2013 at 11:37 am

Seriously………………….do we really truly have guys like this out there??? This is soo unbelievable. Guys, money isnt everything ooo. There’s something called ‘peace of mind’. Can he actually say that he say peace of mind with all these things happening in his life? Lets be careful folks and think twice before trending on deep waters!

• nwanyi na aga aga

December 17, 2013 at 12:14 pm

did u skip the part where he wants to cry in a range instead of danfo. Nne the hustle was never about peace of mind, it was about money. looooool!

• Divaress

December 17, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Sit down there. He has peace of mind pass you if you want to know. I used to be team money is not everything in my early 20’s, when the clock moved past 25 and I was working hard to build a career, hell yeah money is everything. After dating so many broke asses who were still trying to “find their way”, while I was moving up the ladder and they were happy to chill and enjoy the lifestyle my money brought, I wisened up, dropped the baggage and decided to aim higher than me on the ladder. When I finally found one, I understood that it is people who don’t have that say money is not everything. The peace of mind that I hvae knowing that our finances (his and mine) is very very stable and bountiful. Joy like a river, peace like an ocean. Don’t deceive yourself. Money is very important and even more important in marriage. The only thing to disturb his peace of mind is if he gets caught whilst his father-in-law is still alive. Even regular average guys are cheating on their wives too. Even marriages that start out with lovey dovey the husbands still cheat. Peace of mind is relative to your pocket my dear

• Thatgidigirl

December 17, 2013 at 12:44 pm

@ Divaress preach sisteh! That’s on less thing to think about. Its more painful if he’s cheating and broke than if he’s cheating and rich, yup! My broke ass ex did more to me than my rich guy, so…..warra hell?

• AA

December 17, 2013 at 2:31 pm

My dear, you don talk am o. Money is very very important, especially for women.

• Tee Mama

December 19, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Teehee! I don die. It’s true sha, kinda. If he’s broke and a cheater, that’s double loss mehn.

• sassy

December 27, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Money is everything, even the Holy Bible tells us that money answereth all things. A man is
      a man is a man is a man. Better marry a rich man than a poor man ladies. Its even the poor ones that will hurt you the most!

• maria

December 18, 2013 at 1:33 am

why do we always deceive ourselves saying “money dont buy everything , money dont buy happiness”i beg money buys everything let my buy you a house and a range now will you be happy or not. only a poor man will say that phrase because money uys everything you name it i will tell you how you can use money to get

10. FunkyW

December 17, 2013 at 11:40 am

Hmmn, what shall the eyes not read ! …Bellanigerians awaiting your comments.

11. Fashionista

December 17, 2013 at 11:41 am

ROTFLMAOOOOO!!!!! wow! thats was some good tonic for my soul. Ya’ll best believe these things happen everyday! and ofcourse many girls buy their engagement rings and not necessarily only the ones that “bought” their husbands, im talking even regular girls, some that dont buy it outright, contribute to it!

12. Hurperyeahmie

December 17, 2013 at 11:47 am

hmmmm na wa o

13. Mz Socially Awkward...

December 17, 2013 at 11:49 am

Interesting read, this looks to be the new ‘Naija Normal’ with young people of all sexes thirsting really hard for affluence …
    And, I had to whip out my calulator & crunch numbers when I saw the (fictional) rent being received for 12 serviced apartments in Ikoyi:-
    $700000 / 12 = $58,333 per aptmt
    $58,333 x 150 = N8,749,950 per annum = N729,163 per month

Are these real prices???? Lagos!!!!!!

• Errr

December 17, 2013 at 12:36 pm

If its in Ikoyi? The price small o, that’s the price of a one bedroom BQ in Ikoyi. Banana Island is worse.

• Ewa

December 17, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Yes o.. real prices.. even looks small. I work in a bank and have had to deal with our Home loans / mortgage department.. Some figures in Ikoyi will make you faint..

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

December 17, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Rent in Ocean Parade is N25m a year.

• tito

March 5, 2014 at 10:34 am

of course they re real prices. And yes there are pricier ones

14. TA

December 17, 2013 at 11:51 am

Buha haha! LOL! In my Mz Socially Awkward voice ‘The hustle to become a Mrs is real’.
    @ Ariyike,Very nice story. Keep it coming. 🙂 I do not know anyone who would buy herself a husband or ring,biko let me wait for more interesting comments. 🙂

• Mz Socially Awkward...

December 17, 2013 at 12:59 pm

mba, this one don comot from ordinary hustle; this na “hus-TULU” wey don mature to add value to shares, begin dey yield dividends …

I doff hat for my elder bros & sistas in the business.

• Prime babe

December 17, 2013 at 2:14 pm

you took the words right outta my mouth………na real hustle.lol

• TA

December 17, 2013 at 4:56 pm

@ Mz SA Lol! Ver true,nor be hustle anymore o,hustle don pay and dividends be rolling in.

• zsa zsa

December 17, 2013 at 9:28 pm

The hustle grow bia bia o….wetin pepsin eye no go hear for this life.

15. sugar

December 17, 2013 at 11:58 am

buy ma engagement ring ke? tufiakwa, even if na pkako ring na de man must buy am….some things should never be compromised cos a man must be a man and take charge. you are the one proposing, so beg borrow or steal na u sabi….a kept man can only be one thing “worthless” cos it totally negates how God created man to be….

16. yostic

December 17, 2013 at 12:02 pm

best article ever….it was like gist.

of course they exist. I can name one … a musician who will soon be marrying a rich pikins kid

• Yinkz

December 17, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Do U mean Dr. Sid and Simi Osomo?

• Ki

December 17, 2013 at 2:46 pm

looool! I know who you’re talking about!

• tatafo!

December 18, 2013 at 8:32 pm

lol that is so unfair

17. Xala

December 17, 2013 at 12:04 pm

God Bless you Ariyike!! I was wondering when someone is going to write on this trend..and can I say it is very common! A lot of those ‘island boys’ are on the look out for girls who have done good or who have a rich father. I think it is the high unemployment and poverty rates. My sis told me, some guys go to the extent of ‘Jazzing’ a girl. All naa Business. Maybe if the society does not put so much pressure on women, we would have less of this. Believe me, Caro does not have to be 40, I know some caros that are 25, 28, in their early 30’s ..it is all the same. Someone once told me….’ with the way you are going…no man will marry you o! All this book ..book and jet-setting life style” I told her ‘ When the poverty rates in Nigeria has not reduced! If am tired, I will buy me a man! I was being intentionally sarcastic!

• lorenz

December 17, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Really love your comment jare! We are incharge of our lives.

• Ajibike Akinlose

December 20, 2013 at 5:17 am

Lol, you’re very correct. The pressure on Nigerian women is ridiculous.

18. Grown Woman

December 17, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Lol this funny but very sad…. see what desperation does to women..God help us women.People would rather get married by fire by force… i just don’t understand what the fuss is *bbm confused smiley*

19. Thatgidigirl

December 17, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Hian! Lekki wives, Ikoyi husbands, next up is VGC kids. Why should your friend ask who bought your ring in the first place? Bottom line is u’re engaged, period! Thats what happens when u live a fake life, and surround urself with fake friends, mcheeeeew!

20. Pauline

December 17, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Can’t see what’s great about this write up. Its boring n lacks humor.

• Divaress

December 17, 2013 at 12:40 pm

yeah because you are boring and lack humour

• nwanyi na aga aga

December 17, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Are you married to an Ikoyi husband? ?Nne it will soon be well, he wont leave you oooh. Oya take cold coke.

• Non professional opinion

December 17, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Don’t kill me LWKMD

• whocares

December 17, 2013 at 3:18 pm

lmaoo. you just made me spout tea all over myself. I was calmly sitting, sipping my tea and reading the comments, came to this and now I have tea coming out of my nose. thanks a lot!

• qu33n

December 18, 2013 at 12:05 pm

lwkmd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *rolling*

• ogo

March 4, 2014 at 4:28 pm

buhahahahahahaaaaaa,nwanyi na aga aga.you are very wicked oooooo.pls don’t put me in trouble,i am in still in the office oooo..choiiii

• lorenz

December 17, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Why would you say this write-up is boring? If you honestly find it boring, then you may need to see a therapist to help with your sense of humour; except of course, the article strikes a personal cord.

• aunty V.

December 19, 2013 at 12:56 am

True that it must have hit a cord. The write up is entertaining and rings true in our society

• Changing Faces

December 17, 2013 at 6:53 pm

I agree… maybe I have no sense of humour; or this kind of gist just doesn’t tickle me.

21. mercy

December 17, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I’M SORRY BUT I CANT BELIEVE THIS STORY. ITS FICTION. ITS A LIL OVEREXAGGERATED, CAMMAN!

• eesha

December 17, 2013 at 12:50 pm

My dear its real as real can be. Wake up and smell the akamu!

• atrue

December 18, 2013 at 3:16 pm

My Sister,

stories like this, even worst exist in real life. i know of someone, who was engaged, as in engaged o ( with family introduction etc) to someone who claimed to be a medical doctor, who leaves the house early to go to clinic and when she calls, sometimes he will not pick up and later return the call to say he was in the theatre performing different operations. There was a
      time, they were supposed to go to somewhere on holiday, hat was how he told her last minute that there is no one to cover his shift and the senior consultant needs him to perform some fibroid and ovarian cyst operations. This guy even knew all the medical terms. Guess what happened, the guy was a returnee from kirikiri and has never gone near any university, except he was passing by and the girl ehn, na real money family, she comot from.

22. naana

December 17, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Real House husbands of Ikoyi-looool

23. Jemima

December 17, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Yes we do ! And I know some hehehe God help us ! That all I have in my head at the moment . Myloudthought.wordpress.com

24. maryam

December 17, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I can’t stop laughing,like ceriously who does dat,nawa4 some girls oh

25. maryam

December 17, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I can’t stop laughing,like ceriously who does that lol!nawa4 sum girls oh.

• Yinkz

December 17, 2013 at 2:37 pm

People do it and that started from the time U decided to swap the ‘s’ for ‘c’ in SERIOUSLY!

• TAO

December 19, 2013 at 1:22 pm

@Yinkz….be kind! You are funny.

26. Vanessa

December 17, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Every lady who is not under a curse must have been asked out by a genuine young man. Most times ladies miss a good man and then fall prey to a good digger. Some date all the rich men who wouldn’t marry them and then at 40s they drop all the characteristics previously outlined and wait for just any man as long as he is not crippled or blind. I made sure that my husband spent all the money for our wedding. His mother even assisted in buying me the wedding gown. I only spent my money on make-up and bridesmaid dresses. I allowed him to do the wedding within his means so that he will appreciate what he wants/has. I am rich by the way. I also had people who gave me cash and cheques but I banked my money. Any man who allows you to buy engagement ring with your own money is not doing you good. If he cant afford it, girl, you don’t need it. You can deceive people sometime but not all the time. You can never deceive yourself too.

• Wooooo

December 17, 2013 at 6:42 pm

And if they are under a curse, did they put it on themselves? What if it is the parent that committed the atrocity?

• T

December 18, 2013 at 1:29 am

“spend all his money for your (both) wedding… while you banked all yours” shows you have a thinking & complex issue/problem. While it doesn’t make him less of a man for doing what he could, it’s awfully distasteful & pathetic that you capitalized on profits for yourself. Unless you’re as pure as the Virgin Mary herself, he owns you 110%…& with time, you’d find this out cos you’ve cheapened yourself trying in trying to add value.. I’m not out for irresponsible men but milking a man dry to throw u a lavish wedding beats me. Before you unleash the sharp tongue, I married my wife straight after she got out of law school & she didn’t have a dime in income or gifts which she cunningly/slyfully hid during our wedding & I didn’t feel any less cheated giving her a beautiful wedding. Atm, I earn 20x her salary & for the first few months she started working and wasn’t paid, I paid her a job salary monthly >150k, (apart from household stuff) just to encourage her to work & let her employers know she’s not cheap. I don’t touch, or need her money, however, Deception before & during marriage like you did is abhorable. SMH for ur types.!!!

• larz

December 18, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Thank you! We should all support each other. I feel like sometimes, we forget to treat our spouses/ ppl we r in rships with first as friends as well as lovers. It sounds she was more about protecting hers rather than “theirs”. It is like what is hers is hers and what is his is theirs. I may have misread this but if I haven’t, then it is not right

• Esther

December 21, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Thank you sir.

• You are a disgrace

December 19, 2013 at 3:35 pm

You are a disgrace Vanessa

27. Jummai

December 17, 2013 at 12:38 pm

this actually look like farce to me.

28. Daisy

December 17, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Pls I have a question, Has Nigeria’s currency changed?
    It seems everything is being paid for in dollars not Naira.

• nnenna

December 17, 2013 at 3:35 pm

we are about that life dear, go with the flow

29. Liveschoolnews

December 17, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Most Nigerian girls are gullible. They believed anything you tell them

30. whocares

December 17, 2013 at 12:57 pm

LMAO. Modaran.. this is the new trend? I truly hope this is an exaggeration. @divaress LOL @ I used to be team money is not everything..

31. Adaeze

December 17, 2013 at 1:12 pm

This is soo good… I love this piece, it cracked me up!

32. tearywideeyed

December 17, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Bella wow, you could have been writing about some women whom have even been featured in your blog. One is known all over the island. She is not 20 years older than hubby but yes she is older and phaps because she is on the very large side ppl think she is far older. Bought her husbands’ family a house, parents sponsored the very expensive, classy wedding and till now parents money are the main breadwinner. Hubby is a seriously kept big boy whose only job is to gym and pose, while her family provides. They have a little child and while she knows better about her guyy, I hope he sticks to cheating and not keeping any woman outside their family. Because I.M.H.O She is a humble person and deserves a peaceful NUCLEAR home and happy marriage for life. It will break her heart if he uses her like that and move in with some younger lady, she don try.

33. tearywideeyedagain

December 17, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Bella wow, you could have been writing about some women whom have even been featured in your blog. One is known all over the island. She is not 20 years older than hubby but yes she is older and phaps because she is on the very large side ppl think she is far older. Bought her husbands’ family a house, parents sponsored the very expensive, classy wedding and till now parents money are the main breadwinner. Hubby is a seriously kept big boy whose only job is to gym and pose, while her family provides. They have a little child and while she knows better about her guy, I hope he sticks to cheating and not keeping any woman outside their family. Because I.M.H.O She is a humble person and deserves a peaceful NUCLEAR home and happy marriage for life. It will break her heart if he uses her like that and move in with some younger lady, she don try. As for me, I dont know if I can do it, I am still trying to accept this 30wife/70hubby say less 50/50 thing so called horseband and wife do lately, then we are now saying 100%. My father is a real man that provided for his family and even some extended family members from birth even to adulthood (we are talking of cousins 50years old, this man still provides for them) and my mother only contributed if she felt like it (not by compulsion) . My father believed it was his duty as a father and uncle to do this. The sanctity of manhood

• Divaress

December 17, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Your friend already does not have a nuclear family, neither is it a happy and peaceful marriage if he is already stepping out. It is even more disgusting that she is tolerating it since it is her paren’t money they are living on. I am hoping she just wants to stick it then have one or two more children and kick the ass to the curb. Being married in that situation is not worth it. Funny how they say women stay because of what society will say. The same society that already knows you have a kept man who is cheating on you. I laugh in greek. The greatest insult is what she is accommodating and for what. Is it until a girl comes with his twins before she opens her eyes? (happened to my mum’s sister. She was the breadwinner all through their marriage and her stupid husband got a girl pregnant with twins). As for the sanctity of manhood, are you for real? These men are busienss men and their currency is their peepee and the fact that they are breathing. As long as their are desparate women in Nigeria, such men will always be in demand. More liek high demand

• Ekwitosi

December 17, 2013 at 6:25 pm

@tearywideeyedagain lol!!!! @ horseband!

34. theodora

December 17, 2013 at 1:51 pm

OMG………………LMAO , lovely wirte up and yes these things do happen

35. Thelma

December 17, 2013 at 1:55 pm

LMAO at his only job is to gym and pose. You people won’t kill somebody on this blog. Lol
    As per buying your own ring, I know a couple of people who did. What’s a girl to do when he pops the question and doesn’t give you one. You wait and wait and eventually take matters into your own hands. Girls are not smiling and the struggle to answer Mrs is very very very real. God help us.

thelmathinks.blogspot.com

• Divaress

December 17, 2013 at 2:09 pm

That is why i feel sorry for single girls who envy their engaged and married friends. If they know what some of them are going through, they will pray and be greatful for their waiting period. Even many Bella Naija weddings and pre wedding shots are not as rosy as the camera appears them to be. All na wash like my cousin says.

36. dp

December 17, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Na wa things dey happen for Naija ohhhhh

• jcsgrl

December 17, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Nne ehn im seriously dulling. see hustle on da real. I need to take off my rayban glasses and look or listen well

• Ekwitosi

December 17, 2013 at 7:11 pm

@jcsgirl I hear you! We really have to change our mind set. It is no longer enough to dream you have to set a lot in motion!
      Lol! @ Excuse my Yoruba, it’s just that most times, when I think deeply, I do so in my native language. I guess so that there would not be any communication lost in translation.
      Biko nu when does this hustle stop? Hustle finish school, get a job, make money, get married and still be hustling to maintain the marriage and status quo!
      Na wah abeg God help us!
      Prayer points has got to change men!
      Ayirike nice post. You have just made my morning

37. Zayt

December 17, 2013 at 2:14 pm

interesting read! thanks ariyike for making my day in the office 😀

38. Product of public Education

December 17, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Ok pray points changed immediately #goanddiemoment #ikoyihusband #endosementssss #beeni syndrome to seating president.

Salary no fit do am alone again o!!!!!!

39. Omotè

December 17, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Most women who marry these kinda men know what they are getting into….it’s more lyk a ‘tym done pass make i just marry,born’ kinda arrangement. I usually don’t feel bad for them, it’s a marriage of convenience.

40. AREA CODE

December 17, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Na today yansh don dey for back, e don tey!!! had 2 on my street while growing up, 1 was just doing boyfriend and g/friend the other were married, the woman waited till their kids where grown before she kicked his ass out. But by that time the man already had the connections and was into politics.if these new generation guys are smart they had better save up and think of what to invest in ,irony was the 2 once on my street lived side by side and used their connections wisely. I don’t support it cause am old school(believe the man should take care of the family)…it’s on rise now, hope it won’t be the new normal.

41. cool cat

December 17, 2013 at 3:03 pm

God bless ariyike for this post. Enough of women being bashed everyday when the “boys” have clearly joined the band wagon. 80% of single men are looking for rich kids to marry, 15% are illiterate ’19 boys. Who can afford a lavish but classless wedding, the remaining 5% are hardworking lads just starting out in life but will settle for an expired runs girl. That’s the reality on this part of town at least (lekki, ikoyi, et al). They will always keep thir 1st love and in most cases she is their mistress. You’ll be amazed how many young men have kids outside their marriage. As for buying of ring, that one is so normal. Chics are splurging on their engagement rings, paying for holidays, paying house rent, keeping the home, while the men go from gym to sip every weekend. Why do you think there are so many young wives doing even more runs than single girls. Sad to say but marriage in lagos has become a joke

• lorenz

December 17, 2013 at 5:25 pm

You sound soo bitter. Then the reality is not as bad as you painted it to be. Cmon!!

42. Salt Fyfi

December 17, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Society is changing and some of ds younger men are way matured than older men ds days…#justsaying. Every thing in life comes with a price. Even for London, this gist na stale gist. God help us all make the right choice. 🙂

43. Mrs Nwosu

December 17, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Yep it sure happens no exaggeration here. A friend of mine bought her wedding ring herself because bro here was a broke ass. Never saw what she admired in the guy in the first place. But she caught him cheating on her, tried to save the marriage at all cost beause of the child they had together and what peole will say ut over time she could not take it anymore and kicked his ass to the curb. The guy still dey there dey roam round town aimlessly. Ladies shine your eyes.

44. Mrs Nwosu

December 17, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Sorry for the typos, i was writing with a shiver down my spine, May God help us.

45. Nshina

December 17, 2013 at 3:47 pm

I had a good laugh mehn! Nice one Ariyike!

46. Deedee

December 17, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Na wa o, what won’t the eyes see and ears won’t hear, ladies wisen up o!

47. Sassycassie

December 17, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Na wa o . This is some scary shit. May Jesus take the wheel. Na wa o

48. Dro A

December 17, 2013 at 4:22 pm

great read aunty, yelz! 🙂

49. Editrix

December 17, 2013 at 4:31 pm

O ma ga o. Baba God, come soon biko. Dunno how my generation and the one after us are going to cope. Which one again is Ikoyi Husband? Chei, Jesus take the wheel.

50. Jennifer

December 17, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Nigerian Mom’s need to read this article. Especially all those who only think of wedding (notice I didn’t say marriage) all the time. Most Women, especially Yoruba Mom’s (mind you I’m Yoruba and can only speak of the ethnic group I’m certain of) believe the prerequisite for marriage is finishing College. Smh.
    Anyway, in as much as these things do exist (although I’ve never heard of it); it was a good laugh. Nice read!

51. Gorgeous

December 17, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I will rather stay single, adopt and keep a boyfriend. This is no life at all.

52. Exquisite

December 17, 2013 at 5:07 pm

This is why I feel absolutely sorry for girls who want to get married just because their friends are married or are posting engagement “Diamond” rings on social platforms or are showing off their rings to people. Or Mothers who pressurize their kids to get married; simple because they have friends who’s kids are married. Many people have demolished and changed the entire concept of marriage. Parents inclusive!

53. chicky

December 17, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Can’t stop laughing!this is soo real.God help us all.

54. nene

December 17, 2013 at 7:20 pm

lagos..na wah! for those saying marriage is not all that, i’d rather be in a marriage of convenience, as long as he’s not beating me, than remain single.

• Ada Nnewi

January 6, 2014 at 2:22 pm

You need to learn not to be so needy…

55. oj

December 17, 2013 at 8:15 pm

love the write-up, ariyike. All the Single Ladies, shine your eyes o! Dat ur friends are wearing ‘and co’ with their hubbys doesnt mean they are happy.

56. MoD

December 17, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Aimoye payment….. It’s been happening for a long time! I know of a girl who literally dragged the dude down to Lagos from London. It was blatant the guy wasn’t interested but my girl no gree…. Dude arrived in Lagos the night before the wedding. She paid for the whole wedding and my guy jejely returned to London 2 days after the wedding… He hasn’t be back since, meanwhile the chick is busy forming married woman in Lagos

• Atm

December 19, 2013 at 1:34 am

Wow!

57. OmoMakun

December 17, 2013 at 8:53 pm

The grass is not always greener on the other side. The things ppl do to just pose, its quite sad though. You never know what goes on in ppls households, so don’t for one second be envious. Just pray for your own perfect match biko!

58. Koffie

December 17, 2013 at 11:22 pm

@nene, that’s just sad.
    I wldnt pay for my engagement ring lailai. I’d rather not wear one than pay for it. Its not luike its compulsory anyways
    All of that said, money may not be everything but its almost everything. Ask the married ones what causes fight mostly…

59. YOLO

December 18, 2013 at 12:49 am

Interesting read! Presents a good digression from all these Bellanaija weddings and engagements here and on Instagram. The oppression can really get depressing at times even though I’m genuinely happy for the couple in question. God please help a single girl. I really want to get married but I don’t tap into this kind of anointing!

60. LL

December 18, 2013 at 1:10 am

LMAO..yawa don gas!!! LOL…Nice write up Ariyike

61. Beembor

December 18, 2013 at 11:38 am

yeeeepa!!!! It was Lekki Wives we heard of earlier, now its Ikoyi Husbands…..Hmmmnnnnn

62. Peggyz Place

December 18, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Nice one babe! I love the fact that its written from a ‘male gold digger’s’ point of view. While the article is amusing, its actually an eye opener to the harsh reality of happenings nowadays. No thanks to society’s crushing pressure, for you to follow the life timetable that they have set out for you. Marry at this age, have kids at that age….God help us women.

63. larz

December 18, 2013 at 3:32 pm

I know secretly most of us wants a cushy life (male or female). But tbh, wont it get a lil boring. A life of school runs/ X-boxes / clubbing at night. Or for women, school runs, shopping, beauty treatments and gossips with your gals. How can anyone be satisfied with that kind of a life for a long period of time? Anyone who does must really lead a purposeless life. A prime candidate for depression/ loneliness

64. Idak

December 18, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I’m sure when pre-wedding shots of these sort of couples are posted on BN, some of my sisters go dey claim am by faith.
    Una no de learn? No be everything dem dey tap in to in Jesus name.

• Ekwitosi

December 18, 2013 at 5:43 pm

@ Idak lol! I have learned that most times things are not always what they seem!

• Sola

December 18, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Haha …. the struggle is real. No be everything person must tap into the annointing. Wait for your own ladies, make we stop the tapping of problematic annointkng.

• J

December 19, 2013 at 3:05 am

lol wen Fear overtakes the mind. things can happen beyond ur moral education…. Pray all have faith n trust in Love of Christ provision. The root of society moral decadence isn’t this story this story is just the fruit. We all have to work cooperatively in making sure we have the right leaders…

65. Frances

December 18, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Lmao!!! The struggle for mrs is real yo! Kai!
    This is hilarious but its the truth.
    This isn’t entirely the “ikoyi husband’s” fault,The “I must marry byforce” craze for ladies is something else.by hook or by crook,them must marry.So they go in and get treated like trash frm men bcuz them wan belong to society of married women(Naija!)
    Don’t envy anybody o,na who dey d marriage know as e be inside. Wait for ur own,wait for a real man not an “ikoyi husband”…
    If it seems like he is taking too long,like Leke adler said in his letter to jil,maybe he is stuck somewhere,having technical problems,or he has missed his way..He will find you,wait in Faith.
    Its better to have a real marriage than fake smiles while dieing inside.
    And prostitutes frm law school bustop? Hehe,that one na truth too.

66. Purpleicious Babe

December 18, 2013 at 6:44 pm

You see and hear something new everyday.
    This again reaffirms how the world is not black and white.

67. frances

December 18, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Lmao!!! The struggle for mrs is real yo! Kai!
    This is hilarious but its the truth.
    Its better to have a real marriage than fake smiles while dieing inside.
    And prostitutes frm law school bustop? Hehe,that one na truth too.

68. Smh4Women

December 18, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Re you a witch? You just poured out nonsense from your stupid brain! Am sure your husband is regretting why he married you. You are rich and you allowed his mum to assist him by getting your poor-rich ass a wedding gown? Swerve jor!

69. tessa

December 19, 2013 at 9:02 am

I’m not Nigerian, nor do I stay in Nigeria, but I have had an encounter with a Nigerian guy in my country ,in the abroad, who was proclaiming his so called love for me just because he has realized that I come from a well off family. Myslf and the guy dated for a couple of months, maybe about 7 months and everything was smooth between us, until I decided to invite the guy to my house.Lo and behold, after the guy seeing all the wealth of my family(mind you, not my own, but my moms and dads wealth) dude was now proposing to me left right and center. Sending his friends and brothers to me for them to tell me how he loves me, and want to build a future with me.Only after seeing my family’s house and all that my parents have acquired. Thank GOD I could see through the guy and decided to end the relationship quick, quick. Ladies beware of these guys. Open your eyes well.

70. rala

December 19, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I haff laff and roll off my sick bed oooooo. Very sad dt this is true, naija men r not smiling ooo. me i even have example, LUTH boys ehn all of them r actually room8s , they ditched their gfs for rich kids with access to the States.

71. Y'all MUST READ THIS.

December 19, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Ariyike, your mentality /state of mind is questionable!

To put up a friction like this suggest what is going on in your mind and also discourages younger girls from forging ahead to settle down.

Thought as a lawyer (as you stated- maybe ajegunle lawyer) you should know that facts need to be verified. Give me statistics! When you married, were you the one that furnished your matrimonial home? are you the one paying all the bills? are you the one who rented the house?

I doubt if that phone or internet you used to type this was not gotten by your husband. Can you give me facts of how many men moved into their wives apartment after marriage? Can you give me valid facts of how many wives bought cars for their husbands? Stop insinuating rubbish!

We do virtually all of these things. Why will a man get married in the first place if he doesn’t have the basics? The only reason a man will do is when the lady is on his neck to let them go down the aisle irrespective of his situation at the moment.

Forget the fact that it seems women are rising economically-it cant be validated! The latest 2012 unemployment record states that 50% of youths are unemployed and the female folk has the highest out of that 50%.

Wait a minute, if a guy loves a girl and shares his all with his wife in times of abundance, is it bad for the wife/girlfriend to share with the guy/husband when she has more than enough too? Its a mutual relationship not a parasitic one. You living solely on your husband/bf’s resources shows you are a parasite. You came into his life to destroy him and not to add to him

The bible says you are an helper. In this case, the lady is not an helper but a destroyer, sucker and killer. Only lazy ass men would depend on a lady’s resources. Real men struggle and strive to take care of their house even if they dont have enough to do that due to economic reasons.

Ariyike or what do you call yourself again, females are more gold diggers than males. A lady will never (maybe rarely) marry a man that is not well to do while a man on the other hand can marry a lady from any status. What does that suggest to you? Let me tell you the fact that some of our ladies are not yet married (not because there are no suitors) but because the suitors dont seem promising.

Ladies, it is not everything you read that you must digest. Some of these writers and advisers do come here to write nonsense while they do otherwise in reality. If you spot a gold digger, leave him for sure but there is no way you wouldn’t have to support your man. Real truth

xoxoxox

• Posh

December 19, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Why the epistle though. You missed a lot of issues. You could have wrote all that in fewer words. As a married woman in naija with rich parents. I am married to a lekki husband. All what she wrote is right. This is pretty much the story of my life in a nutshell. You need to CALLLMMM down.

• Posh dearie

December 20, 2013 at 9:36 am

@Posh, My question is how many are in that category? what is the fraction? 5% maybe. That is very insignificant!

And somehow i doubt what you just said. Your parents are rich but the riches have not affected you. Did you just type “You could have *wrote* all that in fewer words”? I dodge your missile dear! Learn not to brag about your parent’s riches- it is not yours. They worked for it and never got it when they were at the level of your suitor. Fast forward 30years when your man will be at the age of your parents, He ll be so established too!

If you can express yourself, why shouldn’t i say mine? why does it have to be “in fewer words” according to you?

Enjoy the weekend dear posh

• posh posh

December 20, 2013 at 9:56 am

***has not***

• hi

December 20, 2013 at 2:09 am

you have a point but ur tone makes it sound like men are saints while women arent. a woman is a helper like u said not a provider. a man should be the provider. so yes i dont feel women should sit while he does everything but i do not support marrying a man who cannot provide for u. what is his job as a man then. and the thing is these days alot of women are the one providing everything and these useless men still cheat. i mean its already shameful that u cant provide for your family. u dont need to cheat too…

i once heard a story of a guy who wanted to marry a lady and he was asking her to contribute to their rent. at first i was like well its fine u guys are becoming one. but when i sat down to think about it and i remembered all the tales of men running away with their lovers money and all i realsied that if i was in that same position. i would not drop any money. if u want to marry me then u should be able to get a place for us to sleep. i think thats the first thing that should be settled. and if u cant do that then u have no business getting married

a man and a woman should be financially, emotionally and spiritually ready for marriage.

• @hi love

December 20, 2013 at 9:44 am

Hi sweetie,
      What you just said is a repetition of what i said up there! Did you read where i said and i quote “Why will a man get married in the first place if he doesn’t have the basics?” (Fourth paragraph)

Sometimes we read and fail to comprehend. We just wanna express that which is in our mind!

You once heard a story of a guy? How many of it have you heard is my question?
      Take a sample of all who got married this year for example. Assuming 100 got married, how many of the grooms din’t have a house to accomodate the bride? Would you say 5 out of 100 is significant?

In other circumstances, a man without anything would never think of getting married *except if* (i repeat) EXCEPT IF the lady is on his neck to let them do it.

We ain’t talking about saints or no saints here, are you a feminist that doesn’t like the truth?

Nice weekend dear

• serendip

December 20, 2013 at 11:02 am

Oga calm down. You are being so biased and myopic. Why the insults sef. Stay there and be pretending in you little corner. I’ve heard and witnessed this kind of thing both within and outside my family. More than two of my aunts are in this situation.
      Nowadays what a man can do a woman can do better and vice versa. There are just as much gold digging men as there are women but because of the insane double standards that men like you have set it’s only women that get judged for theirs.
      So leave religion or double standards out of it and look at the story from an objective point of view.
      Your mentality should also be questioned sef. You seem like the kind of person that cannot have a reasonable argument without taking it personal. You had to insult her mentality and her profession. Mscheeew. I’m sure if they were talking about female gold diggers now you wouldn’t have brought up religion o. You would have been quick to condemn.

• Bestest

December 20, 2013 at 11:13 am

I think you are just contradicting yourself. But what this article is about is a reality. Ariyike is not saying all men are like the one described in the article. But the fact remains, it happens. i wanna believe all what is being acted in Naija movies are realities of this life, so yeah it happens ooooh!!!!

• Ready

December 20, 2013 at 12:31 pm

You need to calm your ass down. A. Don’t be correcting other people’s grammar when you’re over here talking about “To put up a fRiction like this suggest…” You mean fiction, and the correct verb is ‘suggests’. B. She told a story…one that has been confirmed to be on the rise in Nigeria. She never compared rates of gold digging between men and woman, neither did she advise women not to support their husbands. She told a story, and people interpreted and inferred from it. If the above is your interpretation, that’s on you. Doesn’t mean you’re right.
      Also, when you want to criticize, it’s better that you refrain from phrases like “Ariyike or what do you call yourself again”. It’s a pathetic attempt at belittling people, and does more to belittle your thinking pattern than that of your intended target.

• Posh

December 20, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Dear you all must read this, Hahaha you are so funny look at you correcting my grammar and you are making grammatical errors yourself. I dodge your own missile. Its only people who have no more valid points that pick on people’s grammar. Very weak attempts and pointless response at that too. You still have NO point and your point of view could have been conveyed your epistle in fewer words. So go have a permanent seat in the stadium and take a book with you my dear 😀

• Newbie

December 20, 2013 at 4:05 pm

This must be a current or intending/wannabe golddigging man. Guilty conscience at work lol! I want to assume that the plenty of spelling and grammatical errors were down to the boiling anger and haste in which he wrote. Still, like my primary school teacher would say – “must try harder”. And dude, the rules are – on the same thread, decide which handle you want to use. it’s either you’re called @hi love or Y’all MUST READ THIS. Otherwise we’re sliding into multiple personality disorder territory…

72. spell

December 20, 2013 at 8:20 am

really wish my friend’s mum could read this and stop pressuring and cursing her poor daughter out.

73. Gwendo

December 20, 2013 at 11:54 am

@ Y’all must read this : Please calm down oooo. Life isn’t
    so serious. Ariyike also knows all the ‘what the bible says’ sides
    of the story. She is just showing us what goes on in the mind of a
    guy with this kind of thinking. She hasn’t said he is right or
    wrong, or that the lady is right or wrong. That’s a writer’s job –
    show the issues. You can all comment on the thinking of the lady or
    the guy. It’s not for you to ‘murder’ the writer. You can’t fault
    me for saying for instance, ‘Naija Policemen stop cars to get N20
    at checkpoints’. Don’t hound me for speaking about it. What you
    should fault is the situation itself. Our blood too dey hot. We
    need to calm down.

74. Christian too

December 20, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Hey!!! Please please please please, I just read ‘Y’all must read this’ statements, and I ask, “why would someone who is quoting the bible be this insulting??? You need to read this bible well oo. What’s the meaning of “Ajegunle Lawyer?”, or “Ariyike or whatever your name is”. You are so not courteous, and I fear that if you really read your bible, you must have been doing so blindly. Please repent. You are too insulting. Jesus would not talk like this even if he were talking to a whore on the streets. DO you even know what is happening around you? Or are you just burying your head in ignorance. Ariyike is rightly stating what is happening around us, sad as it may sound. She is speaking reality, not things she is just conjuring up, whether or not it’s a form of fiction. I’m sure you’ll say polygamy does not happen simply because you do not agree with it. The fact that it happens does not make it right, BUT YES, IT DOES HAPPEN! Again I say, repent of self righteousness whoever you are who thinks we must all read his/her insulting statements. I’m just pissed right now. Lord help me.

75. Ariyike

December 20, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Thanks for all your wonderful comments. You guys are the best!

• jcsgrl

December 20, 2013 at 4:25 pm

LMAO!!! I’m sure you’ve had a good laugh at the comments particularly “y’all must read this” Dude or Dudette has a personal vendetta against you.
      I enjoyed the article and I’m still shocked

76. not perfectly perfect

December 21, 2013 at 2:05 am

all these mostly happen(s) to ladies who @ the age of 25
    are still forming ” am not ready for marriage i wanna be
    independent and i”ll consider marriage””….by the time they are 35
    they”ll then discover they are not married then begin to chase
    after young guys

• Ada Nnewi

January 6, 2014 at 2:52 pm

MUMU!…

77. Sophie

December 22, 2013 at 12:05 am

Its a pity what Men have reduced themselves into. Rubbish!! And they still cry out for respect from Women. Househusband indeed!! What a life!!

78. Sophie

December 22, 2013 at 12:08 am

Its a pity what Men have reduced themselves into. SMH. Yet they scream out for respect from women. What a life!!

79. nafi

December 22, 2013 at 12:04 pm

my heart bleeds as people now buy marriage. they stand before God almighty and take oats knowing in their hearts its all a game. marriage is to enjoyed not endured. if u believe u r different and u will get a man or woman of ur dreams, u will get it as long as ur hands are clean. people have different believes but lets not go wif the wind pls. God will help us all and all things are possible wif God.

80. Me Full Ground

December 22, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Dear People, let’s leave insults and address the issues in our comments. These articles and comments are helping to educate us one way or the other. The mere fact that you not agree with an article or a comment or opinion does not mean we should start calling names or use insulting and derogatory words. They destroy the essence of the discourse and the fun associated with the articles or comments. Feel free to put up your view point or argument for others to reason and learn from or at least have a good laugh. Shalom.

81. Amh

February 23, 2014 at 12:42 pm

The gold digging dud state with the long insulting epistle, pls vamoose to linda ikeji blog, you r nasty and uneducated. Your likes are not wAnted here. Good write up, I actually visualise the story from the beginning to the End. hope it read more from you.

82. ady