News

CNN to Axe “Piers Morgan Live” amid Poor Ratings

Piers Morgan - February 2014 - BellaNaija 01

CNN has announced that it is ending its prime time show – “Piers Morgan Live“.

The 48-year old British host who replaced Larry King 3 years ago, was drawing in less than average ratings. Larry King was host for 25 years.

Piers Morgan has interviewed dignitaries and celebrities on the show including Oprah Winfrey, Charlize Theron, Bill Clinton and most recently Lupita Nyong’o and Steve McQueen.

CNN has not commented on possible new shows for Piers Morgan.

1. http://www.thelmathinks.blogspot.com/

February 24, 2014 at 2:00 pm

I kind of think that the problem with Piers Morgan’s show was people kept comparing it to Larry King’s and there is only one Larry King. Ironically I actually really like Piers Morgan, that said, sometimes the man is simply obnoxious and says things one shouldn’t while interviewing someone else. I feel sorry for him though, this is a huge blow to his career and obviously his ego but I’m sure he’s got people sticking their tongues out at him, not many people like him, especially that Top Gear guy (I forget his name).

thelmathinks.blogspot.com

• Bleed Blue

February 24, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Jeremy Clarkson 🙂

2. Chika

February 24, 2014 at 2:16 pm

BellaNaija correction, the ratings were not average. They were BELOW average.

America can keep him. UK doesn’t want him back…

3. Troll

February 24, 2014 at 2:23 pm

This is bad news for Piers and I actually like the guy. He always says and sticks to it, and for me that’s refreshing. I hope they change their mind and give all the support he needs, he really wasn’t that bad.

4. Energy bill

February 24, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Yawn… about time. I’m even surprised he got the gig, not to talk of it lasting this long. Like @ Chika said, He can stay put in America. UK doesn’t want him back.

5. nonye

February 24, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Omarosa voodoo!

6. ngluv

February 24, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Good riddance.. seriously how did he get the job? he is an obnoxious snob… or just come across that way.. his interviews here in the UK (before he got this CNN gig) were just terrible with no real emotion or something to get the guest going… always talks ahead of the guest or he tries to get them on to admit things they don’t want to or put them so far on the defensive in a rude manner…. Hopefully he can get something doing in the future but not hosting this particular show/segment.

• Miss Anonymous

February 26, 2014 at 1:01 pm

I agree with the “talking ahead of his guests”. I remember watching his interview with Ceelo Green and he made the guy look dumb cos he would jump to answer the questions before letting Ceelo talk. I also didn’t particularly like his interview with Oprah, it was bland.

7. Anon

February 24, 2014 at 3:31 pm

The guy is a hustler and he will find another job. I’m not surprised though with that acerbic tongue of his. They were comparing him to Larry King because LK apart from being an institution is a soft ball interviewer. Piers Morgan doesn’t do soft ball interviews and his hard ball technique took people aback.

8. tammy

February 24, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Lol, real omorosa voodoo. 😀

9. ify

February 24, 2014 at 4:06 pm

and it all comes tumbling dowm

10. Love me Love me

February 24, 2014 at 4:18 pm

It is not just Piers Morgan whose show has been canceled. Andersen’s too. the whole CNN line up has been doing poorly for a while now. Savannah might have to go.

• Sandi

February 24, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Anderson who? Anderson Cooper was canceled? That very fine ass guy that is just unfortunately gay?

• Anon

February 25, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Anderson Cooper has two shows. The big one before Piers goes on air still stays. The newer one called AC 360 later, which airs after Piers’ goes on air is the one that has been cancelled. (He has one show before Piers Morgan and one show after Piers Morgan.)

11. Gorgeous

February 24, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Yea, he was quite dry. Nothing like Larry King. Will take a while before they can truly find a Larry King replacement. The guy knew how to do his homework/research, ask the very important questions, was non confrontational and very respectful.

12. Thatgidigirl

February 24, 2014 at 4:38 pm

toasting to this, can’t stand the guy. rude! rude! rude!

13. Many people

February 24, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Noooo. But we like him. that guys questions sometimes Sha. knows how to pose quite unbelievable questions and comments .

14. AVID BLOG READER

February 24, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Not surprised at all. he was too out spoken about american laws and politics. Oh well!

15. @edDREAMZ

February 24, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Larry king was managing the show for 25yrs but piers just fuck the whole thing up….. If he wants to do interview they should offer him the job and not forcing him into sumting he doesnt want….
    ***CURRENTLY IN THE SUN***

• Jaygirl

February 25, 2014 at 6:33 am

You are always in the sun……you be LASTMA?

• obitalk

February 25, 2014 at 12:49 pm

where s my like button ooo! lwkmd

16. corolla

February 24, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Yay!

17. Olori Tari

February 24, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Awwww my Piers. Lol, I love this man. His assertiveness is on another level, so strong willed too. And can I just say, I live for his banter. He’s one of those people you know they get it wrong a lot but you can’t stop loving them. His my best twitter persona too, I love love his football bants and his epic replies. Even if I decide not to like football today, this man is going to make it almost impossible. I know a lot of people are delighted about this but common Piers, show them what you are made of, show them the hustler in you, by getting another gig ASAP. Come back fully to the UK by the way, I (we) miss you.

18. Oyin

February 24, 2014 at 6:34 pm

He was way too full of himself. Larry king, was the best he was just natural at what he did. I leave his interviews learning something informative. Piers Morgan, I scream at the TV, just shut up. Anderson cooper, is getting boring too. Infacr, they need new faces and people who know what they are doing.

19. Tru

February 24, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Eya

20. Bird's Eye

February 25, 2014 at 3:10 am

🙁 I like him… Kinda but still

21. Vicky

February 25, 2014 at 9:40 am

Always thought he was rude .

22. Beekay

February 25, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Dude get mouth sha. Probably better off as a football analyst #indifferent