News

Senate Appoints New CBN Governor: Godwin Emefiele

Godwin Emefiele - Bella Naija

Zenith Bank boss Godwin Emefiele, has been appointed as the new governor of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The Senate on Wednesday, confirmed the appointment.

“Emefiele will ensure the prerequisite responsibilities of the central bank governor without fear or favour,” said Senate President, David Mark.

According to Vanguard Newspaper, Emefiele was not very well known outside the banking industry until his name was presented. He was reportedly regarded as “a low-profile, conservative figure who was unlikely to rock the boat.”

President Goodluck Jonathan suspended ex-CBN governor, Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi on February 20th, due to financial misconduct.

Photo Credit: www.nigeriancurrent.com

1. Pat

March 26, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Congratulations Sir,,,

2. @edDREAMZ

March 26, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Am really happy for him, atlist that stuff like arabic banking will never be brought to light again…….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

• 5'5

March 26, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Arabic Banking? wow, just wow.

• Coded1

March 27, 2014 at 2:54 am

Joker. U’re ignorant and you don’t even realize it. I’m agnostic so I have no Christian or Muslim leanings. U just need to go out and educate yourself. Let’s see how this new guy does with inflation, stabilizing the economy etc. if he does his job well then I don’t care if he worships the moon. That’s his own business and that’s what you shld be concerned with and not petty BS.

• 'Midé

March 27, 2014 at 6:39 am

O ga o! u are really happy for him? What manner of thinking is this? You are not happy for Nigeria sy dey put better persin , na the man u dey happy for?

• L'afrique

March 27, 2014 at 8:21 am

After some nonentities will say edDREAMZ is always being bullied. With comments like these, shall we fold our arms and not type a retort?

EdDREAMZ this isn’t funny anymore, please do try to inform, educate and enlighten yourself on as many aspects of life as possible. You can’t really be carrying on like this, it’s cause for concern. You have internet access, use it wisely.

3. taofeek

March 26, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Dreams; is the Arabic banking ur problem or a sustainable financial institution That will stabilize and grow our economy

• dickson

June 3, 2014 at 9:10 am

Must it be Arabic bankin to stabilizin our Economy? Hav heard & red abt ISREALITE banking? Let’s pray mr. Godwin stabilize our Economy via Isrealite bankin not Arabic banking. Amen

4. Ib

March 26, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Ok now

5. Omotoyosi

March 26, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Dear edDreamz, when I started my working, I asked questions a lot, not work related questions though but questions on topics some of my colleagues argue about. But then I learnt that, if I don’t have a basic knowledge of what topic they argued about, i’ll rather ask questions than interfere and at the end of the day sound un intelligent. My dear friend, Google is your friend. Ask Google before you post any comment. And No! I’m not a Muslim, Islamic banking is more than religion or what some Christians believe. The new CBN governor is not there to stop islamic banking rather he, if he has the heart of the people will help with our economic growth, encourage foreign investment, Naira will have value again, Trust u know what d current exchange rate is? . Those are just very few points out of many he can do as d CBN governor.

6. Radiant

March 26, 2014 at 8:16 pm

The problem with the caption is that the Senate CANNOT appoint a new CBN Governor. It is legally impossible. By that I mean the law provides that it is the President that APPOINTS subject to APPROVAL of the Senate.

7. Victor Ayedun

March 27, 2014 at 12:51 am

Congratulations to him!

• Isaac okeke

March 27, 2014 at 6:32 am

Congratulations to him

8. Stephanie

March 27, 2014 at 1:22 am

9. inenger zaki

March 27, 2014 at 7:19 am

Let him be the governor to the Nation not to the president nor senators.

10. Gu

March 27, 2014 at 7:20 am

Congratulations sir

11. passy

March 28, 2014 at 11:06 am

congratulations sir. God wl guide ur footsteps

12. JERRYMAIH

April 16, 2014 at 9:01 pm

DEAR. NIGERIANS
    MY COMMENTS IS THAT LET US LOVE OTHER PEOPLES SUFFERING, AND GIVE CHANCE FOR THE YOUNG’S ONES, THE LEADERS ON TOP THAT CALLED THEIR SELF LEADERS HAS NO LOVE FOR NIGERIANS CITIZENS LOOK HOW THIS BAD EGG’S ARE KILLING INNOCENT SOULS CREATED FROM OUR GOD. THE FIRST COMMANDMENT IN THE BIBLE SAID LOVE ONE ANOTHER NO LOVE AT ALL IN THIS NATIONS . PALMS CHAPTER 7. VS 12 TO 15 SAID GOD IS ANGRY WITH THE WICK ONES , OUR GOD IS WATCHING EVERYTHING HAPPEN HERE ON EARTH AND OUR GOD HAS NO RESPECTED OF ANYBODY AND DEATH HAS NO RESPECTED OF ANYBODY ONE DAY THE RAPTURES WILL TAKE PLACE EVERYBODY WILL FACE THE JUDGEMENT YOUR MILLIONS YOU HAVE IN YOUR ACCOUNT OR YOUR HOUSES YOU HAVE ALL OVER THE WORLD WILL NOT TAKE YOU TO HEAVEN, DEPART FROM SIN AND STOP WICKEDNESS AND STOP KILNING AND SHOW LOVE AND DO GOOD FOR THE NATIONS WITH THIS OUR GOD MAY SHOW MERCY TO ANYBODY THAT DO GOOD AND KEEP THE COMMANDMENT OF GOD. OUR PRESIDENT HAVE GOOD VISIONS FOR THIS NATIONS BUT THE BAD EGG’S AROUND HIM AND PUTTING GARRY ON HIS POSITION,. WHY I AM HAPPY MY GOD WILL JUDGE EVERYBODY, NO ONE WILL ESCAPE THE JUDGEMENT OF GOD, NO BODY IS BIG THAN GOD.
    LET US DO GOOD AND SHOW LOVE AND CREATE JOBS FOR OUR NATIONS PEOPLES ARE SUFFERING LET US HAVE REPENTANCE OF MIND AND STOP WICKEDNESS AND KILLING, NOBODY WILL LIVE FOREVER ONE DAY EVERYBODY WILL DIE AND GO TO HELLFIRE IS REAL AND HEAVEN IS REAL, DEARS NIGERIANS CHOSE ONE, IN MY PRAYERS I ALWAYS PRAYING FOR OUR NATIONS AND PRAYING FOR OUR PRESIDENT. AND OTHER PEOPLES SUFFERING THE LITTLE I HAVE I SHOW LOVE TO ONE ANOTHER. LIFE IS A LIKE OF VANITY UPON VERITIES WE COME HERE WITH NOTHING GOING WITH NOTHING, OUR YOUTH STOP HIGH LIFE SEVER GOD WITH LOVE AND DO GOOD IN LIFE, HELLFIRE IS REAL, BOKO HARM STOP KILLING GOD IS ANGRY WITH YOU GUYS BOTH THE SUPPORTERS GOD IS ANGRY, INNOCENT BLOODS ARE CRINGE ON YOUR HEAD SOON JUDGMENT OF GOD WILL TAKE PLACE NO BODY WILL ESCAPE IT.

JERMAIH

13. simon lilley

August 1, 2014 at 8:11 am

this is a joke governor of the bank mr godwin isnt fair u see when mr lamidio was governor of the bank he allow me over the period of time send money threw western union i was supose to have been given my money and all i need to do was to pay the 300.00 for the last fee the governor cancel the payment and transfre and the bank doesnt have any record of them receivce the money total 1500.00 us dollars now wake up and smell the coffee and give me my money if the bank doesnt i will involve the fbi as they were there when the money was been sent to the bank all im asking is for the money to be sent to me i dont care about the other money as i concern you stick your money i be frist person to refuse his payment

14. Dn Alabi Areo

August 19, 2014 at 3:18 pm

The 10-point agenda of the Governor of Central Bank are welcome ideas that may help to reduce poverty in Nigeria greatly. We want to collaborate with the CBN on the rears of setting up trainees on chain-value sustainable agriculture that will lead to establishment of at least 10 industries in EACH STATE if we are so considered.. About 52%of small and medium scale industries dominate the economy in Europe

15. Dorothy Louise Bridges

January 7, 2016 at 3:21 am

I Like to be able to get a hold of the Governor of the bank can some one give me his e mail or have him to e mail me

16. Dorothy Louise Bridges

January 21, 2016 at 2:17 am

I have money coming to me and it one fee after another ,I will have the FBI getting my money also why all the dam fee stamp and you pay it then here come Insurance free for sending your money Can’t even get the phone number to call Central Bank for Info