News

Lupita Nyong’o is World’s Most Beautiful Woman – People

People's Most Beautiful Woman in the World - April 2014 - BellaNaija.com 01

Oh Lupita, you never cease to take our breath away.

“No matter where you’re from, your dreams are valid” said Lupita Nyong’o on the night she won an Academy Award in March for her role as Patsey in ’12 Years a Slave.’

The Kenyan actress is People Magazine‘s Most Beautiful Woman in the World. It is an honour which has been bestowed upon Beyoncé, Jennifer Lopez, Drew Barrymore (who welcomed second daughter yesterday) and Julia Roberts.

Lupita may have made that famous speech at the oscars, but she reveals she “never dreamed” of being called world’s most beautiful.

People's Most Beautiful Woman in the World - April 2014 - BellaNaija.com 02

“It was exciting and just a major, major compliment,” the 31-year-old says of gracing the cover. “I was happy for all the girls who would see me on [it] and feel a little more seen.”

Lupita says she first called beauty with what she saw on TV; “Light skin and long, flowing, straight hair. Subconsciously you start to appreciate those things more than what you possess.”

Her mother Dorothy “always said I was beautiful,” she shares. “And I finally believed her at some point.”

To read more on Lupita, check out People.com

1. bimpe

April 23, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Dencia should get the award as well na (sarcasm) silly girl. This woman is gorgeous, like even when she takes off her make up u can tell she will still look the same and her skin is flawless

2. sum1special

April 23, 2014 at 2:26 pm

would she have been considered beautiful if she was a regular girl who wasnt famous or had an oscar.with that said i love Lupita.

• Joan85

April 23, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Maybe she would not have been showcased to the world but yes, she would still have been considered beautiful. 🙂

• iyabo

April 23, 2014 at 2:50 pm

….and that is why is not a regular girl with an oscar…so that she can help shine the light on regular, normal people that look like her…..

• nene

April 23, 2014 at 3:02 pm

yes she would have, unless the person is blinded by colour or doesn’t like dark skin. lupita looks good without hair (not something many women can pull off). however, people magazine is a joke, they claimed gwyneth paltrow was most beautiful, so it’s just business as usual for them.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

April 23, 2014 at 5:00 pm

I say “yes” she would have been. Maybe not on the scale where People magazine finally takes note, but she definitely would have been.

I see beautiful chocolate women like Lupita around me all the time and even though I’m not the editor of an internationally known magazine, I like to think my personal appreciation of their gorgeousness counts for something.

3. Sexxie

April 23, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Nice! Lovely cover. But beauty is in the eyes of the beholder(People Magazine).

4. Shazy

April 23, 2014 at 2:30 pm

@sum1special – thanks for your comment.

5. Troll

April 23, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Awwwwww…..Lulu my sweetheart. So happy for this babe. And what she said here:
    “Light skin and long, flowing, straight hair. Subconsciously you start to appreciate those things more than what you possess.” is everything.
    Forget about being confident, once in a while public/media perception affects one’s self esteem and sometimes, you can’t just help but compare yourself to the people you see on TV. So Lupita is a good and inspiring phenomenon to young girls like her. Inspiring them to be real ‘cos no matter where you’re from or what you look like, your dreams are valid #peace

6. D.W

April 23, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Oh God! Short her suits this babe. She looks flawless.

Not sure about ‘most beautiful’ but she looks gorgeous!!!!!!!

7. Akua

April 23, 2014 at 2:51 pm

I like the girl, but they are making too much noise over her for nothing. We all know she is certainly not the most beautiful woman in the world. She has self esteem and she is beautiful, no doubt, but really.

• idomagirl

April 23, 2014 at 8:17 pm

But Gwyneth Paltrow and Beyonce were?

• Onye Ara

April 24, 2014 at 12:25 pm

2 previous wrongs cannot validate a third wrong.

8. Hannah

April 23, 2014 at 2:52 pm

The only time i hear of Lupita is only at Interviews and Magazines , is that her new job ? lolz . please cant wait to see her on more movies , i cant be watching 12 years of slaves over and over . lolz .

With that said i love Lupita too. congrats girl.

9. Hannah

April 23, 2014 at 2:53 pm

With that said i love Lupita too. congrats girl.

10. Sugar

April 23, 2014 at 2:58 pm

lovely, inspiring and natural

11. Somebody

April 23, 2014 at 3:00 pm

The West’s fascination with Lupita is sort of the fascination the West had when Africans travelled abroad in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Do you live on trees? How did you get here? Blah blah blah. There are so many beautiful black skinned girls walking around Africa that if I were Lupita I would actually feel insulted somewhat. That being said Lupita is a beautiful woman because she clearly has a beautiful heart.

• Shade

April 23, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Agreed one million percent. The thing about black beauty in the western world is that it is only acceptable when white people say it is. Lupita is beautiful and so gentle but there have been black women in entertainments over the past 20 years that are as or even more beautiful….. (Lauryn Hill, Diana Ross, Phylicia Rashad, Kerry Washington and even Naija Princess Genevieve Nnaji). Unfortunately when white media grows tired of her and finds their new ethnic muse….only BN and a couple of token websites will still be reporting on her…..

• Mz Socially Awkward...

April 23, 2014 at 5:19 pm

I’m going to disagree with one thing you’ve said there – “The thing about black beauty in the western world is that it is only acceptable when white people say it is.”

I don’t think that applies any more as I’m seeing more and more black people taking charge of their own concept of beautiful. That, in my estimation, explains the 180degree turnaround we now see in black women owning and celebrating the uniqueness of kinky hair, colored skin, curvier bodies, versatile fashion … Yes, there used to be a time when we listened to white people to tell us that we’re beautiful but I think we started emerging from that hole of insecurity a few decades ago. Or at least, there was a general growth of awareness of what power we carried in our looks.

Complete change won’t happen overnight (which is understandable, we’ve endured a few centuries of being told we didn’t quite meet the white man’s standard of humanity, speak less of beauty and that belief system still needs to be completely uprooted from our ideology as a race) but we’re already learning to do us. With or without any endorsement from “them”.

And as for the movie and music industries, we still need to get hold of the power to influence in those areas, for us to have the ultimate ability to dictate exactly what black beauty represents.

• alviscali

April 25, 2014 at 10:47 am

you would feel insulted because someone said to them u are the most beautiful woman in the world????does that even sound same to you…stop hating on the girl and appreaciate or better yet shut up…… she doesnt just have a beautiful heart,she is physically very beautiful too…….

12. MOM

April 23, 2014 at 3:17 pm

AND I WILL SAY IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN I LOVE YOU LUPITAAAAAA. U MADE US AFRICA PROUD. U SHINE LIKE D MORNING STAR. U R BEUTIFUL REALLY.

13. MOM

April 23, 2014 at 3:19 pm

AS FOR THE MOST BEUTIFUL , LUK BEYOND THE SKIN COLOUR AND U WILL SEE THE BEUTY THAT RADIATES ALL OVER HER FACE. YEA SHE IS.

14. Anon

April 23, 2014 at 3:28 pm

It”s all part of the “script.” Keep winning.

• AA

April 23, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Script or no script, she stays winning. How’s your bank account looking these days??? Hate has never made anyone look good and it’s not making you look good either

15. RIRI

April 23, 2014 at 3:38 pm

SHE IS SO PRETTY !! DENCIA MUST BE PEELING HER SKIN RIGHT NOW..

16. Cherelle

April 23, 2014 at 3:41 pm

ok! just passing! bye!

17. Author Unknown

April 23, 2014 at 3:46 pm

I can see an oyinbo publication acknowledging Lupita’s looks as beautiful. What I can’t understand is you hypocritical black Africans jumping on the bandwagon when either you, or women you see everyday, look exactly like this but you’ve always perceived the look as ‘just okay’ at best.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

April 23, 2014 at 5:29 pm

I can’t see what’s hypocritical about concurring with People that she’s a beautiful woman. Some of us black people also saw Oluchi Onweagba in 1998 during the early stages of the M-Net Face of Africa contest and knew she was an undiscovered gem who was going to go far.

I’m starting to think that because certain people already have a bias against dark skin, they assume everyone else holds the same view. And thus, when others say “Lupita is gorgeous”, it is also assumed that we won’t have liked her if she was selling tomatoes in the market.

My appreciation for dark Africans knows no bounds, I think it’s one of the best gifts that God gave to this continent.

• idomagirl

April 23, 2014 at 8:18 pm

@ Mz Socially Awkward….PREACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Anon

April 23, 2014 at 9:27 pm

What a bellend that Author Unknown is….

• Author Unknown

April 24, 2014 at 3:05 am

@Mz Socially Awkward. All you had to say is simply that you’re not one of those hypocrites. I don’t know you personally, so obviously my comment wasn’t directed at you or other Africans like you that have always appreciated dark skinned beauty in women. The people I’m talking about know themselves.

18. ivie

April 23, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Lupita defines her beauty…. go Lupita.

19. kokie

April 23, 2014 at 3:58 pm

More Lupita love. You go girl. I figured it was going to be you. More blessings

20. AVID BLOG READER

April 23, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Lupita radiates beauty and proofs that beauty is indeed skin deep.

21. jt

April 23, 2014 at 5:49 pm

She’s defined beautiful not only for her exterior beauty but also bc inwardly; she’s confident, charismatic, intelligent, humble and graceful. You pple don’t have to believe she’s the most beautiful in the world or agree with the magazine but to me she is based on the aforementioned.

22. Onye Ara

April 23, 2014 at 5:57 pm

This is beginning to get ridiculous.
    She is an okay looking girl. I wonder why this exaggeration.
    It seems it is almost sinful to say the truth about this girl. I really do not see anything exceptional about this girl’s looks nor her acting.

• J

April 24, 2014 at 2:44 am

I’m sure she cares what you think. Kmt!

• Onye Ara

April 24, 2014 at 12:21 pm

You are probably too thick to appreciate the meaning of the word OPINION.

23. Emerie

April 23, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Black is beautiful and Lupita is beautiful. It is annoying that it took so many years for the Western world to notice that. Lupita is considered exotic and they are obviously intrigued with her skin tone and exotic features. Unfortunately, the Western folks have different perception of beauty;Beyonce for example is considered beautiful,while the attention on Lupita is more of intrigue.
    The Western world and media sets standards of feminine beauty.I hope she outlives and rises above these Compliments cos they are gonna pick and adopt another exotic beauty or woman by 2015 oscars. That’s how the system works. This is supposed to be a platform for her to get more roles and make more movies.

24. Emem

April 23, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Some people obviously have issues from their comments. Beauty is beyond the face, its confidence, self esteem etc. Lupita represent a different type of beauty from what the media portrays and its making some people very uncomfortable. Congrats Lupita

• Onye Ara

April 23, 2014 at 10:46 pm

I meet loads of girls with similar self esteem,confidence,intellect and even prettier faces than Lupita everyday. I genuinely struggle to understand what the hype is really about. She is an okay girl,really do not see anything extraordinary.

25. idomagirl

April 23, 2014 at 8:33 pm

“It’s all hype”. “White people fetishize her”. Whatever. I am grateful for all the ‘hype’ and positivity Lupita is getting. I absolutely love it. If this prevents girls or even one girl from bleaching herself in order to feel beautiful, it’s all worth it.

The same way Alek Wek’s appearance on the international scene encouraged Lupita to begin to love and accept herself, the same way girls everywhere (who are daily dealing with the eurocentric ideal of beauty and colorism even in the black community) will see her up there and begin to realize that you do not have to look a certain way before you can be beautiful or successful or get on a magazine cover…

We are currently dealing with a bleaching epidemic, women and young girls are risking their lives, injecting themselves with all sorts of chemicals in order to appear whiter, ask yourselves why and factor in the role media plays in creating and sustaining this ‘whiter is better’ narrative.

So yes, I am grateful for Lupita’s success and I think that she is absolutely beautiful. As for those who have concluded that the only reason black people are supporting her is because of the backing of mainstream, white media, please speak for yourselves. Some of us have always loved appreciated dark-skinned women, famous or not.

26. june

April 23, 2014 at 9:40 pm

am i the only one who thinks this girl is overrated? i don’t think her acting is spectacular, i mean, her skin is really pretty and flawless but the most beautiful woman? don’t you think that’s a costly exaggeration?
    PS: i also think gwyneth paltrow did not deserve it one bit so this is really not about her race it’s about her person.

27. AA

April 23, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Abeg preach to all these “pull her down” people. I don tire for Naija women and their ugly attitudes towards one another. UGH!!!!

28. AA

April 23, 2014 at 11:24 pm

My comment was for Mz Socially Akward

29. Libgirl

April 24, 2014 at 2:21 am

Beautiful!!!

30. NNENNE

April 24, 2014 at 3:07 am

Natural beauty but I hate that she used Dencia to attract attention to herself. She 32 and Dencia is 26.Her story about Dencia’s product, which just came out, does not add up. As if Dencia invented bleaching creams. Let’s not pull each other down to look good.

• idomagirl

April 24, 2014 at 10:49 am

She never used Dencia to attract attention to herself. What are you saying? So she got an Oscar nom because of Dencia? She was handed an Essence award because of Dencia? Abeg….

31. NNENNE

April 24, 2014 at 3:08 am

*she is 32*

32. T-girl

April 24, 2014 at 7:37 am

While I happy for Lupita, I can’t help but think that she doesn’t have to compare herself to anyone to feel beautiful. I see comments saying Dencia would be jealous. I am light skinned and I am not jealous of Lupita. I am very happy and proud to be African because of her. Nut I’ve never for one second wanted to look like Lupita. I think the divide between Light skin and Dark skin is only widening with comparing Lupita to every light skinned person. Lupita is beautiful on her own. The same way Beyonce a light skin woman is beautiful on her own. No comparison. Just appreciation for all shades of black.

• slice

April 24, 2014 at 5:58 pm

i agree. sometimes we say black is beautiful as if white is not. I remember growing up it seemed to me that the black girls got extra attention for their beauty but the light skinned ones got attention for their skin. like you could not be light and beautiful at the same time. let’s stop it joh.

33. Emirates

April 24, 2014 at 10:06 am

I see people making comments about this article when they do not understand the content and context of this publication. Let me spare you guys a little education.
    People Magazine annually publish a special edition of the most beautiful/handsome person in the world, that is celebrities. They then choose one of them for the cover of the magazine. Usually the one chosen must encompass a lot of attributes including unique physical features (regardless of beauty and that explains Gwyneth), inner beauty, confidence, social accolades and a lot of media attention as a celebrity.
    It is a magazine which must sell and so who ever comes on the cover must definitely have a selling point. And who better than my sweet chocolate Lupita Nyong’o deserves to be given this recognition this year, absolutely no one. Congrats LUPITA!!! Love you more. Haters will believe.

34. leroy doub