News

Oprah’s Stepmom’s Explosive Interview – Calls her “Controlling” & Slams Relationship with Gayle

Oprah & Barbara Winfrey - April 2014 - BellaNaija.com

WOAH…Talk about a scathing story on Oprah Winfrey.

Barbara Winfrey is the stepmother of the American media mogul/actress, who was married to Oprah’s father Vernon Winfrey.

Vernon filed for divorce on their 12th year anniversary in 2012. The marriage fell apart, after Barbara found out he was cheating with a prostitute named “One Tooth

Barbara details in an exclusive interview with Daily Mail UK, the real Oprah Winfrey, not the caring and charming woman the world knows.

The reason for sharing all this information on the one-named phenomenon is because Oprah is kicking her out of her house which she lived in for 14 years. Oprah served an eviction notice because she legally owns the $1.4 million house.

In Part 1 of the interview, Barbara calls Oprah “controlling” and “ghetto”as well as “unhappy” in her skin among other things. Part 2 will be released tomorrow.

To read the full interview, click here
Read excerpts;
On getting the call from Oprah: She said “You say I never talk to you? I want to talk to you now. You have until Monday to get out of MY house.”

On being kicked out: “I have lost everything. It’s not just a house, this is my home. All my memories are here.

I’m trying to keep it together but there are some days I just don’t understand how I could have made her so angry that she would kick me out on the street and think nothing about it. But that’s Oprah – she’s judge and jury.”

On Oprah’s relationship with Gayle King (best friend) & Stedman Graham (her partner): Barbara points Gayle and Oprah’s relationship as “bizarre” and “unhealthy”, going further to say that’s why neither are married.

Oprah and Stedman, she says are bound by “a pragmatic cocktail of shared secrets, convenience and money.”

On the real Oprah: “Some people can have money and be mentally rich – secure in what they have I guess. But others, how can I put it…some people you can’t take the ghetto out of.

That’s Oprah, it’s who she is and where she’s from. She had money, everybody was going to know it and see it. But she had to be in control.”

On a visit to Oprah’s house: Oprah got on the intercom and announced “Negroes in the house. Negroes in the house.”

“She thought it was funny. I thought it was insulting. I’m older than her. I know what it means. She was reminding us of our low class.”

Oprah & Barbara Winfrey - April 2014 - BellaNaija.com 01

On reports that Vernon isn’t her father: “Vernon wanted to do the DNA test but Oprah said, “No.” I think she’s afraid because she knows it would prove he IS her father. She can’t quite believe that such a silly man could make such a magnificent creature.

But Vernon’s her father all right.  They have the same big feet, with the same callouses underneath; they have the same bags under their eyes and the same nose. They’re so alike.

…she’s a human like anybody else but she spends so much energy hiding the real her.”

On the divorce: “Oprah is a woman who empowers women to be all they can be, to stand up against men who mistreat them.

If she was a more decent person she would realize that what her dad did was very wrong instead of plotting against me and pushing me out of the scene.”

On the outrage the interview may cause: “I know people have read about this and thought, “Who does she think she is? Why should she get a million dollar home?”

But can you see it’s not about that? It’s about everything that went before. Look at how she has treated me. I laid my head next to her father for 14 years and she never thought me worthy of talking to.

Look at how she’s behaved. Can you imagine Bill Gates or Warren Buffet behaving like this? So petty and mean spirited?”

BellaNaijarians, what do you think?

1. Sylvonce

April 23, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Nah wa oooo! I won’t b so quickly to judge or conclude cuz its just a one sided story. When Oprah replies, wch I doubt; then….

• Gorgeous

April 24, 2014 at 12:18 am

Calling another person ghetto. Yet you don’t have even a tent to your name and you are calling age. When the father divorced you any classy woman would have packed out. Yet you insist on being a free loader. A shameless one, and tarnishing the person who put a roof over your head and paid all the bills. If she left you this house can you even pay the bills not to talk of tax. So you want her to take care of you. Why des she owe you? You are just her fathers wife. The father is obviously a super agbero that is why you cannot ask him for anything or call his name. Senseless and stupid woman. This is why rich people stay away from the poverty ravaged minds. They are shameless and think poorly till they enter the grave. Mtscheew

2. Sexxie

April 23, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Hmmm. Hell has no fury…

3. mj

April 23, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Oprah OFFERED HER a $500 000 house and she turned it down, greedy horrible woman. And she is not Oprah’s mother Oprah owes her nothing. Why doesn’t she go ask her OWN daughter to give her a $500 000 house.

4. wanday

April 23, 2014 at 10:06 pm

It’s obvious this woman just wants her own moment in the spotlight. Even if she is having issues with her stepdaughter, is this how to go about addressing it. I sense jealousy

5. oyeprof

April 23, 2014 at 10:08 pm

She needs to take several seats. When has Oprah ever claimed to be perfect? Abi we all know she’s a human so she has a few flaws (mind you, this all seems like bitterness speaking here cos it’s all so convenient for her to bash Oprah after she threw her out). Tah! What did you do to deserve being thrown out? And Oprah has acted in not one, not two Freedom-related movies so for you to claim she doesn’t like her skin? Again i say Tah!

ps: someone pls refer her to our sister Dencia, that’s an example of someone not proud of their skin.

6. Curious

April 23, 2014 at 10:09 pm

All these women sef, so because you were married to Oprah’s father, you won’t have your own abi? Whether she likes it or not, it is still Oprah’s house and she can do whatever she wants with it. People need to stop trying to take what’s not theirs. You always need to strive for yours because whatever you are borrowing from others can be snatched away without notice. Because homelessness and penury have come a-knocking she now runs off to Daily Mail to spill her innards; before this, when she was cooling her paws in Oprah’s house, she no remember sey Oprah na winch abi? Abegi! Park well madam!

Errbody and their mama tryna be connected to the rich and famous so they can chill and enjoy money they haven’t worked for. Maybe Madam here and Bey’s stepmum can start a club, where all ’em gold and cubic zirconia diggers can go to commiserate with one another. LOL!

7. oyeprof

April 23, 2014 at 10:10 pm

All these opportunist random family members, that refuse to work because they have famous families. Cue to Bey’s dad’s baby mama

8. Thatgidigirl

April 23, 2014 at 10:16 pm

I think she needs Jesus, such bitterness!

9. sanya

April 23, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Attention seeking Madam»»»

10. bimpe

April 23, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Sometimes I wonder if people have brains, or actually have true relationship with anyone that will tell them the truth about themselves. Like I don’t get it, you are living on someone’s money and have been for 14 yrs. Pls appreciate it and get ur ass moving

11. Tinuke

April 23, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Who is this greedy bum?

12. Errr

April 23, 2014 at 11:22 pm

UHM, and THEN what, Barbara? the point of all this is…? TAKE SEVERAL SEATS. show’s over. get back to work. RUBBISH and nonsense. so what if Oprah is in fact all these things? AND?

13. Fabulicious

April 23, 2014 at 11:22 pm

Dear Barbara,people have employed these strategy before you did.Move over and please remember to carry your memories along @curious….no be small commiseration club…hahahahahahahaha

14. Adia

April 23, 2014 at 11:39 pm

As my people say “Is it your money?”

15. SOLO ACT

April 24, 2014 at 12:04 am

i can believe Oprah said “Negros are here” tho lol. With that being said, what is Oprahs bizwax with this woman that her father did not even have kids with. Oprah is almost 60 she does not need to respect or give money to this woman.

16. creamissh

April 24, 2014 at 12:59 am

one-sided story , cant know the truth until oprah replies, which i very much doubt she would

17. NNENNE

April 24, 2014 at 2:31 am

Gold digger. Please get a job.
    All that want to reap where they did not sow, will never go unpunished!

18. Iris

April 24, 2014 at 2:33 am

Apparently Oprah gave her two additional options. 1. They sell the house and split proceeds between the father and step-mother. 2. Oprah gets her another (allegedly cheaper) house. She said no to both. She is only 6 years older than Oprah and has only been her “step mother” since Oprah was in her 40s. She should go and rest please. If Oprah has been paying the bills and the mortgage it’s in her name anyway so I don’t see what choice she has. These people with their entitlement issues. First Beyonce drama, now this. What was she doing all this time she was living for free in a 1.4 million dollar house?

19. Opinion

April 24, 2014 at 2:46 am

Serious display of bitterness…over a home that is not hers. Public slander as a form of revenge is dishonorable regardless of the situation especially against a person who put a roof over her head.

20. Feirooz

April 24, 2014 at 7:14 am

In my ctry we have a saying the person u get from the village and bring to town or city will work hard to make sure you are the one thrown back to the village.This woman should take a chill pill its Oprah’s hse and she is not in any way mandated to provide her with a house.Let her get a job and work.

21. Sugar

April 24, 2014 at 8:12 am

Nothing is as tough as being wealthy and surrounded by people who look up to you for everything…its drains the existence out of you

22. chocolate

April 24, 2014 at 8:20 am

Madam Oversabi, why are you just now speaking up? If you still had the house, will you speak ill of her?

23. ja

April 24, 2014 at 9:38 am

From Beyonce’s silly Father’s baby momma to Oprah’s Father’s stepmother. These women are bypassing the men supposed to take care of them and going to straight to the rich daughters. *rolls eyes*. All I can think of these shameless women is that I see they want to reap what they did not sow. Get a job and shut the f*** up.

• ja

April 24, 2014 at 9:40 am

I mean Oprah’s Father’s ex-wife.(ex-Stepmother) even.

24. Funke

April 24, 2014 at 10:12 am

Sour grapes syndrome, go make your own money if na so e easy.

25. nene

April 24, 2014 at 10:31 am

never liked oprah or watched her talkshow. that woman is very wicked. she just uses her money to cover up her wickedness and insecurities. very mean, vindictive and insecure woman who thinks everyone must know her or love her because she’s giving them money and cars as “gifts”.

• Kina

April 24, 2014 at 11:42 am

Gosh! All that venom for someone you don’t even know personally and who doesn’t care if you exist or not.

• hadi :)

April 24, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Exactly what i was thinking!!! so much anger at someone she doesn’t even know. Na wa oh. the heart is too precious to be allowing anger rent a space o

• D

April 24, 2014 at 12:46 pm

And you know this how???? I am not pro Oprah or anything. I don’t watch her shows either but to write so conclusively about someone you do not know wow…That goes beyond judgemental, I am certain a word as not been created for such. It is humans like you that scare me and remind me of how wicked we humans can be.

• jcsgrl

April 24, 2014 at 4:48 pm

My dear if you are reading this. God loves you. Whatever or whoever hurt you in the past, God can erase the pain and bring you wholeness. If your comments on BN are truly a reflection of who you are, then I will be praying for you. You are truly hurt, broken and need deep emotional healing. Only God can do that for you. Pls I beg you, seek help for your sake. Life will be so much better after you let it go and move on

• hadi :)

April 24, 2014 at 10:10 pm

lovely reply!

26. Pius Christiana O

April 24, 2014 at 11:00 am

I don’t want to judge but i am really surprised.

27. omalichaspeaks.blogspot.com

April 24, 2014 at 11:05 am

All I see is a bitter ex wife clamouring for her five minutes of fame. #teamoprah

28. olusolape fagbamiye

April 24, 2014 at 11:11 am

Drama drama drama!!! i actually dont care. when your in the spotlight theres always drama. so what if she is mean? isnt she human or those in the spotlight arent mean???pulizzz
    healthcoliseum.com

29. Angel

April 24, 2014 at 11:12 am

@nene, you speak as if you know this woman one-on-one. Hmmmm. Nne, biko for the fact that you don’t like her show shouldn’t becloud your sense of reasoning or judgement. What proof do you have to back your accussations? I’m sure you don’t even know this woman beyond her talkshow. Mtcheeeeww.

30. That African chic

April 24, 2014 at 11:28 am

Well I kinda understand why this woman is bitter….when she married Opera’s Dad, she owned her own home..But she had to mortgage the home so that her husband(Oprah’s Father) could use the money to get a new place for his then run-down Barber SHop, apparently Oprah had refused to lend money to get a place for the shop…Then the shop went into debt which led to the foreclosure of her home. Oprah swiftly bought her stepmom’s home at a cut-down price. Oprah however allowed her stepmom’s duaghter and grandchild to live in the house which now belongs to Oprah.

Then Oprah bought another house for her step-mom and her Dad, but it wasn’t really theirs as the deeds to the house were in Oprah’s name. Now that the couple are getting a divorce, Oprah has asked this 60-something year woman to vacate the house she bought for them as she is no longer married to her husband at the same time evicting the woman’s daughter and grandchild from her former house.

Now her stepmom would find it very difficult to even get a place to rent as her credit is messed due to the foreclosure of her home.
    To add insult to injury Oprah’s Father is asking for alimony because she was apparently the breadwinner in the marriage.(She was a vice principal of a renowned high school before retirement).

• D

April 24, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Ok so assuming what you write is all true right. Let’s assume your own father that married a woman that mortagaged her house to help his ailing business and it all went down the drain in their 60s or at what ever age, and things go down hill, is it now your obligation to keep providing for the said woman? or is it because she is Oprah aka one of the richest women in the world. It was HER decision not Oprah’s decision to mortagage her house, Oprah was smart enough not to invest in sad business so why she or anyone else be made to bear the burden of the consequences of someone else’s poor decision. The woman from all indication so far sounds like a leach to me and your story just makes it appear even worse not any better. Why is she not writing about Oprah’s father? it was for him she mortagaged her house not Oprah (at least according to what you consider her sob story)

31. Stephanie

April 24, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Hmmm…am trying really hard to understand this story
    blogsvila.blogspot.com

32. Cheriecoco

April 24, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Ma’am! You got guts. She ain’t your daughter and now ex- stepdaughter, and you expect her to give you a $1.4 million home. Saying shit about Oprah is not cool. Go after your
    ex husband’s property and leave Oprah alone. She ain’t Santa claus.

33. Tade

April 25, 2014 at 1:56 am

Its the women’s entitlement syndrome men here have suffered this for centuries. They have enjoyed child support and alimony from men. Hooking rwell to do men and those stupid enough not to get a prenup we have been dealt with. Now women are breadwinners too so it now women vs women mind you Babara will also pay alimony to her ex yeah till he dies. That is why lot of women just like to talk ill of men say all manner of disgusting things without saying there mind in Nigeria or these forum its the entitlement syndrome me me me why is it women worlds over want to just get someone’s money they don’t deserve. Like the Beyonce father’s story the table is turning now let the war among women begin men have had enough now that is Feminism……….. I love this if she has a loop hole in the law she would have exploit it to the fullest …………………… Bella naija like for some time now if you like don’t post my comment… we are tired of black girls

• Tade's friend

May 10, 2014 at 5:36 am

First of all you need brighter grammar… secondly, I’m assuming you were one of those “stupid enough not to get a prenup” and was dealt with right? Which is why you are tired of black girls. I’m also assuming you’re white, no? Dude please note this post is not about you. Your personalising it is just sad 🙁 and your generalising about women, especially black women is off. At least tell us your mom is white if nothing else…