News

11-Year-Old Filmmaker/Activist Zuriel Oduwole on Arise Global TV London | Watch

Zuriel Oduwole - May 2014 - BellaNaija.com 01
Zuriel Oduwole is an inspiring young lady.

She made headlines around the world, for being the youngest person to be interviewed by Forbes, as well as interviewing head-of-states, and listed as one of the most influential Africans.

The 11-year-old Nigerian-American filmmaker and girl education activist was recently invited for an interview on Arise Global TV London. Zuriel spoke on her “Dream Up” project, girl education, her focus on safe education and plans for the future.

On the 200+ school girls abducted by the Boko Haram sect in the Chibok area of Borno state, she says “I think it is very sad because me as a girl, I can’t imagine being taken away from my home, to some strange place, with a lot of strange people but I am hoping the government will be able to find the girls, and bring them home safely.”

Watch

1. Nerybanty

May 23, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Brilliant girl, very outspoken.

2. @edDREAMZ

May 23, 2014 at 4:51 pm

I love this gal and i just wish she is my kid sister….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

3. Lindsey

May 23, 2014 at 4:56 pm

See olu omo. Omo Lu omo pa. Omo ju omo lo. Women old enough to be her mother are cluttering red carpet events with nasty weaves and bleached out skin…yet zuriel at 11 years old is on a mission to change the world . No wonder that old mama went back to high school to pretend she is is 15 years old…sometimes you looks back and just ask what have I done with my existence?

• oyeprof

May 23, 2014 at 6:04 pm

lol @ omo lu omo pa. Pikin of life

4. Honiemixx

May 23, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Very talented young blood!!!!

5. Wale

May 23, 2014 at 5:15 pm

I think this girl’s parents have exploited her enough. She ought to focus on school at this point. Even Malala was pulled from the public to focus on school.

• onyi

May 23, 2014 at 8:46 pm

oh plsss… take some several seats

• Mrs Ibidun Shonoiki

May 24, 2014 at 4:06 am

It gives me great joy to read about this young Nigerian Girl. In am an educationist and former teacher at St Annes Secondary school, retiring finally in 2002. So, I do my research very well. This girls parents are just fantastic, to home school her and her aburos. I have read a lot about them, so please, do not attack them. They have done very well. Yes to the comments about the shame of the so called Nollywood ladies who cant dress decently for onces, and are teaching promiscuity to our next generation. They probably cant cook also, and I pity the men who finally marry them – if at all that happens. Also, please, don’t compare this girl to Malala or anyone else. She is Nigerian and a source of our Pride. Her story is different. Try to encourage, instead of doscourage. She is doing our country very proud. I also saw her on BBC two weeks earlier. Just watch the news today about Nigeria, and decide for yourselves. Thank you Bella for showing this story. My 36 year old son showed me, because he knows where I stand on things, especially womens issues and our current generation of young women, some of who have no shame, and have brought shame to their parents, and our country

6. Warri Babe

May 23, 2014 at 5:17 pm

First time I read about her, I was very impressed…what was I thinking of at age 11 apart from food, homework and play? Good work and may all her heart desires be fully granted including being the President of the United States. I looooooooove the lady’s response when the other guy said she (Zuriel) could achieve that if she married into a ‘political dynasty’ citing Hilary Clinton as an example – She doesn’t need a man to make it to the top!!! #very apt #quote of the day #finding purpose regardless of having a man or not

7. FJD

May 23, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Excellent! I like the confidence!

8. Taiwo Oguwumi

May 23, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Fantastic insight , and Just 11 yrs

9. Bliss

May 23, 2014 at 6:08 pm

@warri babe, what were we really thinking at 11 right? I think she is a product of one of the few perks of being a 21st century baby; she is bold, outspoken, and courageous. Back in day our parents brought us up under the old fashion adage of “children are to be seen not heard.” It didn’t matter what your opinion was. As a child you just didn’t involve yourself in elderly matters. Who born you?? Hahahha 21st century kids have issues, but they embody some positive character developmental perks we did’t get. We will definitely be seeing more zuriel oduwoles. God bless her.

10. Amh

May 23, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Yoruba genes. Olu omo indeed.

11. From Cambridgeshire

May 23, 2014 at 6:41 pm

An inspiration to both the young, and the old – I’m inspired:)

mormusicgroup.blogspot.co.uk

12. BW

May 24, 2014 at 6:36 am

Without Fail, I watch the BBC Focus on Africa every weekday at 6:30PM as the only authentic and independent round up of what happened in Africa the previous 18 hours, and then about three weeks ago, there is this 11 year old girl, being interviewed by Peter – the anchor. First, she split his head with accurate statistics – I looked it up; and then she was calm and focused in her answers. She blew me away. Now I see this interview she did on ARISE Global London. Wow…..who is this Girl !!!!!! She makes me feel I have done nothing the last 25 years in my job. Way to go Girl !!!

13. Ndaman Danladi

May 25, 2014 at 1:50 am

Aboki…I don’t know where to start. Lets just say if our country Nigeria is going to change, it wont be by those who are 35 and older. They have been bitten by the bugs of “Apathy”, “Frustration” and “Total Distrust”. These young Facebook and Twitter generation, are the true hope, because their minds and thoughts have not been corrupted. If we can find 50 Zuriel’s from now, and give them all the support over the next 10 years, just like our under 17 Football team, then the future of Nigeria is brighter. Otherwise, start getting ready for the South Sudan Scenario. I am from the North, and things are worse there, than they are telling in the news. By the way, congratulations Zuriel. A true Nigerian Ambassador. Ranka Dede Zuriel. You are proof that “Western Education is GOOD”.

14. eby

June 3, 2014 at 12:20 pm

nice effort, by zuriel good to know that as young as she is she is contributing in her own way to ensuring that the gal child in Africa gets her most important rights in life ” education and freedom of expression”……….. BUT i think that the gal child in asia suffers a much worse fate than that of the african…….just saying