News

Gender Discrimination or Traditional Customs? Battabox Asks Nigerians About Their Preferred Gender For the First Child

BellaNaija.com

As you may know, Odunayo from Battabox keeps it real 10/10! In this video, she asks Nigerian what gender they’d prefer their first child to be and why?

Is this a question of gender discrimination or is it just the way things are done in Nigeria?

Check out the video and share your comments with us.

1. Naija male

May 14, 2014 at 11:36 am

Just had my first child and she’s a girl and i love her to bits. Don’t care if all my kids are girls cos i’ll love my kids unconditionally irrespective of gender. Honestly i don’t get the obsession for having male kids and that ‘I want somebody to carry my name’ rubbish cos when you’re dead, you’ll be so sound asleep that you won’t even know who’s carrying on your name or not. All kids rock

• Ange

May 14, 2014 at 11:41 am

soo sweet. honestly sex dont matter. enjoy fatherhood

2. Nnenna

May 14, 2014 at 11:40 am

I would love a boy first so the following kids can have a big brother to look out for them!!!

• Unknown

May 14, 2014 at 1:06 pm

How many of your big brothers are looking out for you? Stop speaking thru ur arse.

• Nnenna

May 15, 2014 at 2:13 am

My only big brother is!!! Only my mouth speaks, thank you!

3. dupsyspeacial

May 14, 2014 at 11:46 am

@Naija male, well said

4. @edDREAMZ

May 14, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Some people are pure illiterates, why bitting around the bush if yu dont want to answer the question…. And that igbo lady just spoiled my day, what is male son or husband of ur people abeg….. Well i will love to have a boy as a first child though…
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

• slice

May 14, 2014 at 1:45 pm

bitting = beating

5. bb

May 14, 2014 at 12:56 pm

l would prefer a male first, am a female it was not easy growing up being a female in africa , (truth be told girl child always remember her parents) by God grace would have both.

6. baboushka

May 14, 2014 at 1:24 pm

I like this Odunayo chic. For me it doesn’t matter some first girls are blessings to their families some complete horrors equally some first boys are God sent some you would wish you had given them up for adoption at birth. It doesn’t matter the sex it is how you raise them, the character you instill in them and the environment around them that shapes them into blessings or horrors in the future

7. Person

May 14, 2014 at 1:36 pm

I hope the men know that the gender of their children depends on the man ehn? and other calculations? And above all, God? Better take the one God gives you. Shikena.

8. NYLegalDiva

May 14, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Gender for the first baby does not matter as long as I eventually get my son. I prefer all boys but God decides.

9. Anonymous

May 14, 2014 at 3:32 pm

The husband of your people

10. Kay girl

May 14, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Nigerians can neva stop gender discrimination esp as it cut across most tribes. 4 me I don’t give a damn about gender. Have a baby girl n my husband n inlaws adore her. Can’t wait 2 give her more sisters. Children are gift 4rm God n either sex, dey shud all be cherished!!!

11. Miss Mo

May 15, 2014 at 4:48 am

“Both are better”

Nigerians won’t kill me with their English…..lmaoo

12. juliet ozeden