News

Monica Lewinsky Speaks on Affair with Bill Clinton after a Decade of Silence

Monica Lewinsky - May 2014 - BN Relationships -  BellaNaija.com

It was the scandal that shocked the world.

In 1998, former President US President Bill Clinton admitted that he had “an inappropriate relationship” with Monica Lewinsky.

Lewinsky, now 40, alleged that between November 1995 and March 1997, she had nine (9) sexual encounters with Clinton, but not sexual intercourse.

Beyoncé may have recently mentioned “He Monica Lewinsky’d all on my gown” in her song Partition, but we haven’t heard from Lewinsky ever since the scandal.

DD-SC-93-04622

In an interview with Vanity Fair Magazine, she finally speaks out after more than a decade. She hopes that with this article, she can finally put the past behind her once and for all.

“It’s time to burn the beret and bury the blue dress” she says.

On clearing the air: “Sure, my boss took advantage of me, but I will always remain firm on this point: it was a consensual relationship. Any ‘abuse’ came in the aftermath, when I was made a scapegoat in order to protect his powerful position. . . . The Clinton administration, the special prosecutor’s minions, the political operatives on both sides of the aisle, and the media were able to brand me. And that brand stuck, in part because it was imbued with power.”

On job hunting: “I turned down offers that would have earned me more than $10 million, because they didn’t feel like the right thing to do…but because of what potential employers so tactfully referred to as my ‘history, I was never ‘quite right’ for the position. In some cases, I was right for all the wrong reasons, as in ‘Of course, your job would require you to attend our events.’ And, of course, these would be events at which press would be in attendance.”

On correcting the record: She says that she still gets recognized even till this day. Monica who says she refers to Maureen Dowd – who won a Pulitzer prize for her series of articles on the scandal, as “Moremean Dowdy”.

Dowd says Beyoncé should correct the lyrics, “Thanks, Beyoncé, but if we’re verbing, I think you meant ‘Bill Clinton’d all on my gown,’ not ‘Monica Lewinsky’d.”

On Hilary Clinton calling her a narcissistic loony toon: “My first thought as I was getting up to speed: If that’s the worst thing she said, I should be so lucky. Mrs. Clinton, I read, had supposedly confided to Blair (Hilary’s close friend) that, in part, she blamed herself for her husband’s affair (by being emotionally neglectful) and seemed to forgive him. Although she regarded Bill as having engaged in ‘gross inappropriate behavior,’ the affair was, nonetheless, ‘consensual (was not a power relationship).”

On going public: She was inspired by 18-year-old male student Tyler Clementi who was secretly streamed via Webcam kissing another man and later committed suicide in September 2010.

Lewinsky and her mother were brought to tears. “She was reliving 1998, when she wouldn’t let me out of her sight. She was replaying those weeks when she stayed by my bed, night after night, because I, too, was suicidal. The shame, the scorn, and the fear that had been thrown at her daughter left her afraid that I would take my own life—a fear that I would be literally humiliated to death.”

She clarifies that she never attempted suicide. “My own suffering took on a different meaning. Perhaps by sharing my story, I reasoned, I might be able to help others in their darkest moments of humiliation. The question became: How do I find and give a purpose to my past?”

The full interview will be available on May 8.

Photo Credit: Vanity Fair

1. origmimi

May 6, 2014 at 9:50 pm

such a shame…Olivia pope would have fixed this

• omalichaspeaks.blogspot.com

May 6, 2014 at 11:14 pm

lmao…..I wonder how much they paid her for this interview…..

• PurpleiciousBabe

May 7, 2014 at 8:51 pm

LOOL ooo
      u are joka..x

2. Tee

May 6, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Its 2014 who still cares..She must be going broke, hard times mehnn

• slice

May 6, 2014 at 10:31 pm

h. clinton is planning to run again. everything matters

• Politics

May 7, 2014 at 3:04 am

My thoughts exactly. I wont be surprised if its one Republican telling her to do this because of H. Clinton. ..

• Fashionista

May 7, 2014 at 9:38 am

As in! Not only is it 2014, the man NEVER acknowledged the “affair” even after his presidential tenure was over. More importantly, she herself is now married with three kids; I seriously fail to see the relevance or need for this nonsense. Give it a rest already. I agree with “politics”, a republican might have put her up to this and the only reason she would have agreed, is like you say because of the money! Her husband would be so mad at her for dredging this up. well, except he needs the money too.

• That African chic

May 7, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Everything you said here is so wrong…He actually acknowledged it after investigations were done, and would have been impeached for his actions. That’s why Beyonce made reference to the blue dress, becuase it was the main evidence in the investigations..
      Monica never married and has no kids.

• Destiny

May 8, 2014 at 10:56 am

@Fashionista ………. Hummmm talk about false information. Monica Lewinsky has never been married , has no child not to talk of 3 children . See how you typed such rubbish confidently ……….

SMH

3. SOLO ACT

May 6, 2014 at 10:28 pm

moral of her story is that u should not sleep with a married man that is famous. he would never leave his wife even if he does not love her, you are always going to be the one with a scarlet letter for life. many wealth married woman are in relationships with their husbands that do not like them but they just have to suck it up.

• ada

May 7, 2014 at 8:32 am

famous or not, do not sleep with a married man, period. he’s another woman’s property! put yourself in the wife’s shoes…

4. R.S

May 6, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Scandal things noni

5. Xtsy

May 7, 2014 at 8:16 am

Crawl back into ur hole

6. Tosin

May 7, 2014 at 8:37 am

Monica’s cool, whatever. She survived the massive mockery of those years – that’s what matters. And Bill survived even if his hair went gray and turned out to be a great president.
    Re: upcoming politics: Never been a fan of Hillary’s, but maybe she’s matured. Whatever, I don’t even get to vote in America so who cares what I think? If I had one, I’d vote for her because she’s a woman, and she’s experienced enough and their system is stable enough that she can’t do much damage or may even do good. What she lacks is love. She doesn’t have the straight-up love, ease, and blackness of Bill. What she has is hardwork. Maybe by now she’s earned the top spot. But if someone better grabs it again, I won’t be upset.

7. ikechukwu ijomor

May 7, 2014 at 9:06 am

Hey ma’am, ds time u sound like d biggest looser.
    berachac.blogspot.com

8. jhennique

May 7, 2014 at 9:15 am

Now she comes out to the open talking trash. What was she thinking sleeping with a married man? You shud have seen this coming if u were wise, but sadly you werent. Just move on with ur life girllllll

• DiaryofDido

September 28, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Judgemental much?
      Smh.
      What a pity….

9. 5'5

May 7, 2014 at 10:03 am

Going by most comments here:
    1) she’s still being blamed
    2) the woman is the whore never the man (though, it was consensual)
    3) there is always more than meets the eye (a republican putting her up to it, God forbid that she is seeking closure or her own side of the story. we all heard Bill Clinton’s side years back)

SIGH.

• Ada Nnewi

May 9, 2014 at 12:01 am

you have the most intelligent comment on this article!

• oj

May 20, 2014 at 11:18 am

God bless u. see how women tear down their fellow women! as if monica was trying to justify herself.

10. wunmi

May 7, 2014 at 11:05 am

A thousand likes for 5’5’s comment. What’s wrong with people and labeling women. I am in NO way in support of what she did, I’m in fact an advocate for not dating a married but with this interview she could ONLY REALLY just be seeking closure & that her own side of the story be heard. She does seem sorry and No we are not making this into a gender issue; IT IS ALREADY A GENDER ISSUE

11. cici

May 7, 2014 at 2:49 pm

sorry but what “side” is that? we already knew it was not rape…it was consensual…it was not intercourse but oral! there is only the “what actually happened” side. and if you sleep with a married man and try to put your story out there AGAIN, people will judge you the way they see fit! you don’t see hilary and bill giving interviews on the topic after 15+ years because they don’t want people judging them again…which they would!

12. Nominee

May 7, 2014 at 2:59 pm

This is my opinion and it will never change. The woman is always always the whore. Yes she is. The whole is yours, you lock it and it stays locked, you open it and it gets chooked. Make a choice to close it and open it when the time is absolutely right!

13. jojo

May 7, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Yes you need closure, but have you considered the true victims here?
    the marriage,
    the wife and the children? You were one of the perpetrators so what is with all this rehashing if not to seek to derail H Clinton who never set you up with her husband. anytime she is about to run or she is doing something major, there pops up your head.
    Tell Carl, he needs to come up with a new strategy

14. Fashionista

May 8, 2014 at 4:43 pm

@Destiny and that African chick, I got my information from an online source. Well, except the source is wrong.

15. Fashionista

May 8, 2014 at 4:55 pm

@ Destiny and that African chick, I got the information that she got married and has kids from an online source, this was even years ago. Now, except the source was wrong sha. STILL, she needs to give it a rest already!

16. Expectantly Hopeful

May 9, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Make I talk my own before I forget, ” Don’t you ever ni ile aiye e have an affair with your boss” No matter how much he tried, push or nag….don’t attempt such an affair. The end is always bitter.

17. Making Sense

August 31, 2016 at 2:24 pm

After reading everyone’s comments, most being judgemental against Monica Lewinsky, here’s my take on it. First, he’s the one that stepped out on his marriage and that’s his responsibility totally. She was a mere 22 years old, which in reality is very young. How much life experience did she have compared to him? I’m sure she was enamored by an attractive president giving her attention. I know I would’ve been! She didn’t break any vows; he did!

Now, on another side note, I personally don’t care about his private life, only about how well he ran our country. As far as I’m concerned, it’s none of your nor my business who the man sleeps with. How can anyone run the country when everyone is pointing a finger at his private life? In my opinion, she may have helped his stress level during that time to deal with the nonsense that the media and politicians focus on that is just a distraction to the important matters at hand. She was the least to be blamed in the so called scandal. If anything, she should’ve been protected from the media backlash. Back in the day of JFK, he had numerous affairs, but the media respected his privacy and didn’t try to publicly humiliate anyone involved.

Give that young lady a break and put the “blame” where it belongs – on the MARRIED MAN!