News

Gay Nigerian in London Speaks on Extreme Deliverance to “Cure” Him

i-D Vice, one of London’s top fashion websites released an article asking “why is it so hard to be gay and black”.

They discussed about  American musician Frank Ocean and CNN journalist Don Lemon as well as a Nigerian.

A London based Nigerian journalist who used the pseudonym Adejola Funmi shared his experience coming out. Funmi was expelled from his Christian school for being homosexual, it was labelled not “Christ like”.

He was later sent to Nigeria, so they could “cast the gayness out”.

Adejola travelled from church to church for deliverance, “I slept in church for about three days, during that time prayer warriors came around me and were praying… they didn’t give me any food and they’d whip me with branches of palm trees. They were whipping me to cast the gayness out of me.” he shared.

To also “cure” his homosexuality and cast out demons, he was stripped naked and bathed in a river by the church, forced to drink snail water and lick grounded charcoal.

“One should no more deplore homosexuality than left-handedness.” he concluded.
Photo Credit: Dreamstime.com/Ivgalis

1. Gorgeous

June 27, 2014 at 9:16 pm

ROTFLMAO. Yoruba people think they can cure anything with cain. Especially the C&S churches. Dem go whip you wella. Sorry guy, was just LMAO reading it. hehehehehe

2. Dolly

June 27, 2014 at 10:39 pm

The things they go through….you start to understand, more like wonder why would anyone want to be gay? You have to be born that way, I lost a friend to this inhumanity to another, the bullying and hatred has to stop. Live and let live, two consenting adults doing wat they like sexually should never be anyone’s cuppa tea! #freedomtolove&live

3. Me Myself and I

June 27, 2014 at 11:37 pm

While i am not for condemnation / discrimination as regards people’s sexual orientation, saying they were born that way is a lie from the pit of hell. No one is born gay! There is no proven and undispusted scientific research to back it up, and until then

• methinks

June 28, 2014 at 2:39 am

But did you ask yourself why he endured all the inhumane treatment and the gayness didn’t vanish?

I don’t get how snail water and starvation will cure ANYTHING. The twisted doctrine we’ve started practicing eh? Instead of showing him love. Now we’ve lost another Christian. I pray for clarity and wisdom in this issue.

• Ruth

June 28, 2014 at 4:25 pm

The same question applies to, “did u completely get cure from lying, lust, fornication, stealing, etc yeah, its not a one time thing. Its an individual personal choice/conviction. God is a judge and love. We as christ followers are not suppose to be complacent with sin but strive to live for christ.

• me

June 28, 2014 at 3:36 am

I absolutely concur… to have the audacity to suggest God is a creator of gays…. ?!?!

• naijatea

June 29, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Didn’t God create man? You christian renewalists have to be consistent lol.

• alviscali

June 28, 2014 at 7:18 am

is there a proven fact that people are born with it??since you already stated that you dont discriminate against them,keep the rest of your comment to yourself……BTW not everything can be scientifically proven ……..

4. Author Unknown

June 28, 2014 at 5:07 am

Ignorance is indeed a terrible disease.

5. Changing Faces

June 28, 2014 at 8:26 am

Same opinion I have Dolly. Why would anyone choose to be gay with everything they go through? I don’t know if they were born that way or not, but I know that most would choose to be normal just to escape persecution and wickedness meted out to them. Even if it’s a sin, it’s no different from fornication, adultery, lying etc. Let’s live and let live

6. lorenz

June 28, 2014 at 9:56 am

“One should no more deplore homosexuality than left-handedness.” How can he say that? You don’t have to try hard to accept the fact that someone is left-handed, as, if you were left handed you wouldn’t have been subjected to all those floggings and “deliverance”. I still struggle to accept that some people might be gay, even if i”m gradually learning how to live with it. However, i still believe that there’s something not normal about putting a round peg in a square hole(if you know what i mean).

7. Eniola

June 28, 2014 at 11:51 am

I still stand on the fact that this whole gay thing is unnatural. The proof is in the genitalia and why can’t they have kids? Unfortunately people have made statements like why should anyone bother what they are? At first I agreed but it is against the way a normal society ought to run. If the whole world were gay right now, there would be no continuity of life. God created man and woman why is it that one of the partners always tries to assume the female role and the other the male role? Why can’t two able bodied men that are just guys get into this kind of relationship? I in no way condone the horrible acts of violence they have to suffer but we are becoming so numb to these issues that it shows how accepting we will be of other things. The whole beating and caning cannot be called deliverance, sounds very suspect to me. People just try to drag religion through the mud through silly acts of so called deliverance like this one. I really would like to know the developmental outcomes of kids raised in gay/lesbian homes vs good heterosexual homes. These are the kids your kids will meet in school. This affects us all before you ask who cares?

8. Ruth

June 28, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Homosexuality is unnatural. Its perversion. Biogically, scientifucally, its abnormal. But we also live in an evil world. Where its a lost life journey, and people try to push lies, deception as truth. They shouldn’t be physically harmed for their choice but while we show love, doesnt mean you have to accept it.

9. @edDREAMZ

June 28, 2014 at 4:56 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Yu kill person bcos he is gay so that makes yu a saint ryt….. Am not gay but i dont like the way they are been treated one bit… Live and lets live abeg….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

10. Tony

June 29, 2014 at 5:31 pm

This is a controversial topic and most people have rights to their believes. Often times people quote the Bible when this topic is brought up and they keep aside, Do not commit adultery, Do not fornicate. Do not steal.
    Finally i realised that everyone is quick to judge on what they do not do. When you are involved in any form of sin, you become lukewarm. God is the Ultimate judge and lets make a habit of not condemning individuals just because they do not fit into our own self made pictures and perceptions of Natural and unnatural.

11. I can Identify..

June 29, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Please believe it! I’m a “victim” of “you can’t be left- handed”
    Now I practically go about my daily life as a south paw, but I can’t write with it- well, not as I should- cos my teacher in kindergarten kept bullying me into using my right hand.

12. sum1special

June 30, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Nobody was born gay.. Simple

13. Jamce

July 1, 2014 at 11:55 pm

@Eniola and Ruth, kudos for standing by the truth that gay is unnatural and ungodly. No matter how the anti-Christ and his agents try to persecute the truth through negative propaganda, dubious scientific proofs and their dubious definitions of “love” and human rights. I must also say that any one, pastor, prophet or church that beats, flogs or physically torture anyone in the name of deliverance is false and from the pit of hell. Looking at the Bible, did Jesus Christ ever slap, beat or torture anyone to cast out a demon or evil spirit? NO. Did the Apostles do any such thing? NO. So, where did they get those practices of “deliverance by flogging” or “deliverance by torture”. So, we must judge by the Word of God those who are of Jesus Christ and those who falsely using the name of Jesus like the sons of Sceva in Acts 19:11-19. Any wonder they couldn’t deliver Adejola Funmi from gay bondage. Homosexuality, just like any form of sexual perversion, is a satanic spirit and Jesus is able and willing to deliver anyone who genuinely desires to be free.

14. ak

August 1, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Please all of you should calm down

#1 Yoruba tradition has a history of demonizing left handed people.. Hence his left handedness comment… It was labelled as unnatural, perverse and still is labelled as an indicator one would die faster than a right handed person.

#2 Please tell me how many people you have seen who were “delivered” from “lying, alcohol abuse, adultery, fornication” and all those things that manifest from within the heart?

The answer is none.

It is a personal choice one must come to- to abstain from Sex, alcohol abuse, lying, stealing and such.

I maintain, that the only reason ANY MAN/Woman will abstain from these vices is as a result of THE SHAME THEY FEEL either because A:
    They have deeply wounded those around them by their actions
    or They have deeply wounded themselves and have been counseled by a doctor

The same goes for Homosexuality:
    The problem is: 1. Who does it harm?
    2. For whose benefit is it; for me or you?
    3. What are my options.? Do i marry a woman and think of men everytime i stick my dick in her? or do i remain celibate? or simply hope for the best.

As i say, Everything in this life IS A CHOICE.

May God help us make the right choices

15. zzzzzzzzzzzzz

June 8, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Before anyone can be delivered, the person in question would want to be delivered. If you are still wallowing in your sin thinking you are having a good time then it is up to you. No amount of prayer would set you free because you are not interested in being free. Jesus said he came for the sick those who know the need a doctor, not those who think they are okay and do not need help. God would never force on anyone his way. It is your choice to do your own thing but be mindful that there are consequences for disobedience.

16. nana ama

August 24, 2016 at 11:08 am

gayism is definitely unnatural and must not be encourage.my brother you ydid not go to a church for deliverance but a disguised shrine,truth be told you drinking snail water and been beaten is un christian.