News

Nigerian Gay Asylum Seeker Talks Fear of Being “Tortured” if Deported

Aderonke Apata - June 2014 - BellaNaija.com
Aderonke Apata is a gay Nigerian woman, who is seeking asylum in Britain for fear that if she is sent back to Nigeria, she will be tortured because of Nigeria’s anti-gay laws.

The Home Office in Britain turned her down, after persuading the office that she is homosexual. She sent letters from girlfriends in Nigeria and Britain as well as supporting documents from friends.

According to The Independent UK, Apata, 47, will hand in petition to the Home Secretary Theresa May, demanding that deportation of all LGBT asylum seekers is halted until a review of their treatment is concluded.

Her partner is Happiness Agboro (pictured behind her above)

She tells the publication her ordeal. “I was asked to bring my supporting documents for my judicial review for the court to look at. What evidence do we have to compile apart from letters from people? I knew we had a home video of ourselves, so I thought why not just put it in? I cannot afford to go back to my county where I will be tortured, so if I have to prove it with a sexual video, then I have to do it.

I feel so bad it’s got to this stage. It’s such a desperate and precarious situation to be in, very dangerous, because anything could happen to those pictures, those videos.”

In 2004, when Apata came to Britain, her asylum was on religious grounds. She claims she comes from a Christian family, but married a Muslim man to cover up her long term affections for women.

The man’s family suspected she was gay and turned against her. She says she was taken to a Sharia court, where she was sentenced to death for adultery.

Apata ran away and went into hiding after two appeals for asylum were rejected. She says she lived on the streets of Manchester for fear of being deported.

She was caught in 2012 working with a fake visa as a care manager. Her latest asylum claim that she may be tortured if she returns to Nigeria, was rejected. Nigeria currently has 14 years imprisonment sentence for gays, and her ex was killed in 2012 in a mob attack.

Her petition halting her deportation presently has over 230,000 signatures.

“I want sanctuary. I just want to be protected. I want to be who I am”  Apata who was recently hospitalised for post-traumatic stress, says as a judicial review has been granted in her case.

Photo Credit: The Independent UK

1. Speechless

June 9, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Tbh I’m speechless I dunno what to say tbh. The story get as e be but deris God o

• nene

June 9, 2014 at 10:28 pm

diaris!

2. amaa

June 9, 2014 at 7:45 pm

I talk am as soon as GEJ sign that bill FGM took a jump down the line of reasons why people seek asylum in the UK. Goodluck to you all

3. Marvel

June 9, 2014 at 8:48 pm

I feel for her as I wouldn’t attack anybody for their sexuality. Her ex was killed by a mob? Which way Nigeria?

4. SS

June 9, 2014 at 9:23 pm

aderonke apata, @47 ,almost 50year,you are still running around seeking asylum, God is watching you,just short of words

• nene

June 9, 2014 at 10:28 pm

don’t mind her. god dey. ode ni e

• Unite2014

June 9, 2014 at 11:26 pm

PMSL @ your comment!!!

5. @edDREAMZ

June 9, 2014 at 9:28 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    They should just let the woman stay there abeg….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

6. Amh

June 9, 2014 at 9:36 pm

Short of words really . Hmm nah wah o. Terrible situation

7. tobenna

June 9, 2014 at 9:42 pm

The People of Western Countries Shot Themselves on the Foot as they where (Challenging) waving their finger in the face of Our Almighty.
    I love this, The Western world decided to disobey The Almighty by practicing, condoning and promoting Homosexual lifestyle, not only did they practice it themselves, they encourage people in other countries like in Africa to practice homosexual act. (ROMANS Chapter 1:22-27). Now its coming back to bite them, I said its coming back to bite them because those they encouraged and inspired to practice homosexual act is now invading their countries with the claim of Asylum as their Visa.
    Lol.

• JIMJFOX

June 10, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Hmmmm… your “God” is a loving merciful being, eh? The wonders of religion!

• Nigel Hodgetts

August 6, 2014 at 8:28 am

All gay men and women should be brought to the UK we want them even. if Nigeria doesn’t.
      N Hodgetts
      [email protected]

8. chibz

June 9, 2014 at 9:52 pm

liar liar pants on fire, i get her need for asylum, but she doesnt need to lie to make it worse. she’s yoruba and yet was taken to sharia court in which state. Sharia only happens in northern Nigeria and there are no reported instances of killings of females for being gay there yet. i wish her luck in her push

9. Soraya

June 9, 2014 at 11:45 pm

haba aunty Ronke! why you come spoil our country name like this? You could still live in Nigeria and be a closet lesbian- there are plenty like you here. Home Office, please do us a flavour and hold on to Joy- one less trouble for us to worry about here in Nigeria!

10. Jade

June 9, 2014 at 11:53 pm

@chibz, it isnt just about reading, understanding is key. She said she married a Muslim didn’t she? N his family took her to sharia court for adultery not for being gay. And said Muslim possibly lives in the north where sharia permits the stoning of women who commit adultery. Don’t just comment for the sake of commenting pls be sensible about it.

11. hawwah

June 10, 2014 at 5:36 am

I think they look alike. They should be sisters or cousins or something. *sigh* Nigerians and scams. May God help us all

• Feirooz

June 10, 2014 at 8:28 am

LMAO

• Fyfi Salt

June 12, 2014 at 1:31 pm

My thought exactly…LMAO

12. Vee

June 10, 2014 at 9:52 am

Why don’t I believe she’s gay???
    Some Nigerians have pretended to be mad in order to gain stay within the UK. Some Nigerians have injured themselves, some have gone on hunger strike in order to avoid deportation. This is just another example of another Nigerian trying all means to avoid deportation.
    The story is well-calculated but all NA LIE!

13. pretty

June 10, 2014 at 10:36 am

why i no kuku date man than date this kain person? Na wa

14. madamNk

June 10, 2014 at 2:19 pm

so first she claimed asylum on religious grounds and now it’s based on her sexuality, wow woman! I thought asylum seekers were supposed to run to the nearest country of refuge. why didn’t she go to Ghana? she went all the way to UK and after her claim was rejected, she was using a fake visa to work as a care manager. This your story ehn, e get better K-leg

• Haba GEJ

June 10, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Shut up, hustle your own, na you be Judge?

15. nwanyi na aga aga

June 10, 2014 at 2:55 pm

UK pls u guys should grant her assylum na? Are u ppl that wicked? did u not see millions of Nigerians being killed cos they said they were gay? Do u ppl want her to die or go to 15yrs imprisonment for being herself? Grant her asylum na, abi are u ppl that heartless to gay ppl? U want to be like nigeria too? later ppl will say GEJ policies is not favorable to them.Loool!

• j

June 12, 2014 at 9:27 am

who has been killed? The once killed by the witches in your village?

16. j

June 12, 2014 at 9:25 am

the message is full of lies. She should be deported immediately

codewit.com/nigeria-news/20434-uk-based-nigerian-lesbian-aderonke-apata-wants-to-submit-her-sextape-to-prove-that-she-is-a-lesbian-and-to-prevent-being-deported-back-to-nigeria

17. XteriAyoba