Music

Annie Idibia on 2Face’s Other Kids, Divorce, Motherhood

BellaNaija.com

2Face & Annie Idibia at The Ascension Album Launch in Lagos - BN Events - July 2014 - BellaNaija.com 08
Long before Beyoncé and Jay Z dropped what it means to be “Crazy in Love”, we already had 2Face and Annie Macaulay-Idibia to present that version of love.

It is undeniable that the pair have had a whirlwind relationship. Right before our eyes, we’ve seen the highs and the lows, the baby mamas drama, the break-up, the make-up, the proposal, the grand wedding, “dem babies” and living life in the spotlight.

Annie who is always open in interviews, gives the world an insight into the private relationship, balancing work and motherhood, her parents’ divorce and laughing about all those crazy cheating reports.

Read excerpts from her interview with The Sun

On being humble despite being married to 2Face Idibia: “Thanks for the compliment. I am a very playful and down-to-earth person though, there are times I prefer keeping to myself in order to avoid people taking advantage or abusing me. However, I am a very simple person. I am from Eket, Akwa Ibom State. I am from a family of four children; three brothers and myself, the only daughter of the family. My mum and dad divorced 20 years ago.”

On how her parents’ divorce affected her: “My mother bred us from childhood to adulthood because of the divorce. I was almost a tom boy growing up with my brothers. It’s heartbreaking when you live with your parents happily and suddenly, they part ways. Sincerely, we were terribly affected emotionally. It was especially tough where it was only our mother that was attending functions in school and taking care of our needs. It was emotionally sapping and my brothers have their own fair share of memories. It affected me so much while in secondary school because I was always sad going home after school hours to see my mother living without my father. But mum tried her best to make life meaningful for us; she is my hero. And I appreciate God for being there for us.”

On sacrifices and losing her brother: “I was always running home during lunch break to prepare lunch for my younger brother but unfortunately, we lost him at 15 years of age. It was really tough! I had to assist my mother in her shop which was very close to our house after school. She was also working to make ends meet.”

On how her experiences growing up shaped her life: “It made me stronger and independent as a woman. As the only girl, my mother taught me to do domestic chores. Today as a married woman, I have domestic staff but I still cook and do house chores. I started working immediately after I graduated from secondary school at age 15. I worked as a sales girl in a boutique and two other places before I got admission to study, leading up to my diploma. I also worked part time as an undergraduate of Computer Science at the Lagos State University when I was 18-years-old. Thereafter, I got admission into the University of Lagos where I bagged a degree in Theatre Arts. Growing up wasn’t easy, my sister. I have never shared this before in the media but I think God wants His name to be exalted in my life.”

On couples who plan to divorce: “Honestly, divorce is the worst punishment any parent could subject children to because it’s the children that will face the consequences of their actions. Divorce shouldn’t be considered as an option when couples face-off. It is advisable to settle rather than divorce. Why did you get married if you cannot forgive and reconcile with your partner? I don’t wish my kids to pass through my experience regarding divorce. I always use my parents-in-laws as an example and I try to emulate them in my marriage. After all these years, they are still deeply in love with each other. Even at their age, they still enjoy each other’s company and that is amazing.”

On motherhood: “I enjoy being a mum. God has blessed me with two wonderful kids. It’s wonderful though, tasking, stressful and sometimes depressing, especially when you are a working mum. But I try to create time to be with my kids no matter my busy schedule. I make sure I am always involved in my daughter’s school activities. It would interest you to know that I am my daughter’s lesson teacher. And I must appreciate my lovely mother for making life meaningful for me by teaching me so much; she has been a wonderful mother and grandmother.”

On crazy 2Face Idibia cheating reports: “I really don’t pay attention since I am married to a man that understands me. In fact, most times we laugh over these rumours. Any time such rumours come up in the media, my husband calls me immediately on the phone asking if I have seen what was written. And I reply that I have and we laugh over it and move on because we know that those rumours will not tear us apart. On the recent rumour about him impregnating a banker, I don’t know what they stand to gain with idle gossip. I had just delivered my baby, Olivia. She was barely two months old but we overcame it.”

On her step children: “I don’t have step children; they are my kids. They are innocent, smart and adorable kids. We have a good family relationship with our kids in America and Nigeria. Zion has a great sense of humour, he is always attached to his sister, Isabel; they are age mates and they always disagree to agree in love. It’s fun watching them stay together whenever they come to their family home. Honestly, we want our children to enjoy their childhood by the grace of God in unity and love. And I really appreciate their mothers for their great understanding and their father, for making our children his priority in life.”

On rumours that 2Face physically abused her:
“None, I just want gossips to leave us alone to enjoy our blissful lives together. We don’t disturb them, why are they disturbing our peace? And I also want to appreciate our fans for being there for us.”

1. TeeUSA

July 27, 2014 at 11:07 pm

GREAT! Love her sense of humor, and solid family orientation. God bless and keep your home always. Amen

2. Kenny

July 27, 2014 at 11:21 pm

DIVORCE !!!!!! is not an option. While i agree with her partially, if husband an wife cannot come to an agreement, it’s very important they separate, instead of the relationship turning violent, and that is where divorce come to play. Its hard when both have kids together, but for the betterment of the kid or kids, if two ppl married are not in the same page, the alternative should be considered (divorce). Every human have their destiny even kid/kids from a broken home. The president of the United Stated is from a broken home, but that does not stop him from the person he is right now, let us not be trap with that mentality, that we must all be together as husband and wife to raise a successful kid/kids just saying.

• Tosin

July 28, 2014 at 11:04 am

Divorce is always an option. Thank you.

• Debra

August 6, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Good one here… A lot of women died in abusive marriages, so its better to seperate than to loose one’s life

3. Amh

July 27, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Wow. Nice one Annie. Very good and Article. Sound like a strong women. Just what Tubaba needs. Congrats . Super woman.

• Idak

July 28, 2014 at 9:59 am

Strong? Super?
      On top this article? She may be all that and more but I struggle to see what points to those adjectives from this interview. Has the bar been reduced so low?

4. beryl

July 28, 2014 at 12:00 am

BeautIful.well cordinated

5. timiege

July 28, 2014 at 12:01 am

Wow,interesting story.mwee wish you guys the best..

6. Anonymous

July 28, 2014 at 12:04 am

She seems so sincere. Very humble lady.

7. Modella

July 28, 2014 at 12:34 am

Misleading headline

8. wendu

July 28, 2014 at 1:11 am

Annie I respect you more especially after reading this interview. No doubt you are a great woman with a good heart. May God continue to bless you and shine his light on you and your family .

9. nene

July 28, 2014 at 1:32 am

wow what a tough upbringing. with 3 brothers, i expected her to be tougher. either way, na only she waka come, so “ife onye metal ya bulu ya na isi”.

10. kenora

July 28, 2014 at 1:46 am

i think people should pls leave this love birds alone …bcos no matter the rumours nothing is going to separate them IJN Amen

• Lindsey

July 28, 2014 at 11:02 am

I think these love birds should leave people alone too.

11. jirla

July 28, 2014 at 1:49 am

so people are still smoking in enclosed spaces!

12. Dekunle

July 28, 2014 at 4:21 am

I like her a lot. She seems like she’s got a good heart.

13. BEAUTIFULNBLESSED

July 28, 2014 at 5:07 am

BEAUTIFUL!

14. Idak

July 28, 2014 at 6:32 am

I have a sneaky feeling that gossips will leave you alone to enjoy your marriage when you stop bombarding the public with pointless interviews. It must not be too hard to say no to interviews and do a few when you really have some new work to promote. Stop acting like public attention is the oxygen of your life.
    Cheers.

• Lindsey

July 28, 2014 at 11:03 am

Yep…Annie talks too darn much

15. Hi

July 28, 2014 at 7:26 am

Annie, should not bother with the media. The media could be vultures – ask Ms Whitney Elizabeth Houston #RIP I think Mrs Annie Idibia could focus more on her craft if she wishes to.

16. JoanOfArc

July 28, 2014 at 9:02 am

Lovely interview. She made me smile. However, she should hold the general comments on divorce. Her parents’ case was rough but for some, it’s better that their parents split and find happiness rather than stay together for the sake of the kids they end up traumatizing from living in a house of tension and fighting. That’s my real experience. Her step kids are better off with their mums being happy and their dad being happy with a wife who loves them than if Tuface had forced himself to marry the wrong one just for the sake of the kids.

17. iba

July 28, 2014 at 9:58 am

She is a great woman but somehow i can never envy her position. It would be way tooooooooooooooooo hard for me. God bless you Annie and continue to give you more grace and strength. It is clear you have the heart of a lion.

18. Yetunde Adelaji

July 28, 2014 at 10:43 am

Bellanaija, the title of your piece on Annie Idibia is REALLY misleading. Your title reads “It’s tasking, stressful, and sometimes depressing-Annie Idibia on 2faces other kids, divorce and motherhood”. This title makes the reader feel that Annie is saying that it’s tasking, stressful and sometimes depressing in dealing with 2Faces other kids, divorce and motherhood that’s what I had in my mind when I was reading the article BUT that is so NOT true. That’s what I had in my mind when reading the article TILL I got to the part where Annie on the subject of motherhood and motherhood alone did she specifically says “I enjoy being a mum. God has blessed me with two wonderful kids. It’s wonderful though, tasking, stressful and sometimes depressing, especially when you are a working mum”. She didn’t make this point about dealing with 2Faces other kids or divorce. You might ask…why do I care, why does it concern me….I just hate the way the media twists peoples words to pursue their own agenda. What Annie is dealing with is not easy and I admire her strength, her heart of forgiveness and her love on display as she embraces her portion in life with strength and dignity. I watched her interview with Toolz on Ndani TV and was blown away at her gracious words in speaking about 2faces other Kid’s and their Mum’s. I don’t know how many women can be that gracious. She deserves respect and credit for that. Annie I salute you!!!

• Sere

July 28, 2014 at 11:40 am

Hmmm… Incase you’re just noticing, there’s a certain someone at bella naija who’s cut from the same cloth as the folks of city people, encomium and tell magazine. Yes! the ones who sensationalize headlines and delibrately misinterprete the content just to draw in readership.
      I got the same impressiin and thought to myself “why in the world will Annie say this?” And when i read and she didn’t “but haba!” was my exact sentiment.

Dear Bella Naija,
      Once upon a time you were bigger than cheap headlines and we loved you.

• idomagirl

July 29, 2014 at 3:46 pm

I agree.

19. Tosin

July 28, 2014 at 11:02 am

“other kids” – my face is still scrunched up in a frown from how ugly the term “other kids.” I’m sure there’s a reality that love is hard, but there is no such thing as other kids. Every human being is divine and special and lovely. Please don’t say other kids again before I start to cry. Gosh, I am sensitive.

• Tosin

July 28, 2014 at 11:05 am

okay, that’s just what she said in the interview. It’s the headline that has a problem. It’s an ugly headline.

20. Esther

July 28, 2014 at 11:31 am

Always loved this Annie girl ! Truth is this destiny taking shape, everyone deserves a shot at happiness.

21. Mzz Xee

January 17, 2015 at 10:52 pm

Lovely… But life is an option so does everything an option in a way whereby you choose to survive or give up talking of divorce or no divorce “everything that has an begining must surely have an end” even love dies but you rewake it by patient and love itself
    From me no advice or literate to you dear Annie just words of moral