News

Port Harcourt Police Arrest 3 Monkeys & Shoot 2 of Them

Apparently, some policemen in Port Harcourt have  zero tolerance for monkey business.

Three monkeys and their owners were arrested by Port Harcourt police today. Two of the monkeys were shot and killed.

The owners were accused of “using the animals to constitute public nuisance” in the Mile One region of the city, Punch reports.

A pedestrian was said to have complained of losing N10,000, after passing the area where the monkeys were entertaining people by displaying their acrobatic skills under the supervision of their owners.

Police officers from the Mile One station subsequently intervened, arresting the monkeys and their owners.

However, things turned awry  when two of the monkeys pounced on one of the policemen, and he shot them in self-defence.

“These people (monkey owners) use their monkeys for acrobatic display and when people gather to watch, they speak to their monkeys and they (monkeys) pounce on people.

Before you know it, these same persons going about with monkeys will take advantage of the commotion and take people’s money. They have their followers around.

When we arrested them (monkeys and their owners), two of the three monkeys pounced on me as their owners were taken into police custody. I brought out my pistol and shot them,” said the police officer.

Some eyewitness claimed that the third monkey had supernatural powers, as policemen reportedly shot at it over 30 times, and it refused to die.

However, the policeman says the claim is false, and insists that third monkey did not attack him.

Photo Credit: Hugoht/Dreamstime.com

1. Le coco

July 9, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Hian BN can exaggerate smthing.. The monkeys were taken with the owners doesn’t mean they were arrested…. See me thinking the monkeys were handcuffed nd thrown in jail. Lool

2. nmn

July 10, 2014 at 12:06 am

Thank God for that, that was how my phone was stolen too at olu-obasanjo road in port harcourt wit monkeys and a big snake. I was just passing by and my phone missed from my pocket as I was shouting that my phone is missing one man that just came out from one of the banks started shouting that the 180k he just collected from bank too is missing. I dnt know how they do it but they are good and fast.

3. @edDREAMZ

July 10, 2014 at 1:04 am

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    May the souls of the monkeys R.I.P lmaoo..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

• Ferrari

July 10, 2014 at 10:31 am

Mister, monkeys do not have souls!!!!

4. Victor Emeka Isaac

July 10, 2014 at 8:13 am

I was there when it all occured… Am speaking from port harcourt… All your stories were right but d last monkey which was the smallest finally died after much bullets were fired on it. Seems like that 1 has the greatest power… The police barrack was filled with crowd;even dr fence was filled with pipo so inorder to chase them away they released tear gas on us… Mehn ma eyes were badly hurt.. Even have the pix of the monkeys or rada baboon; bcz they were not really like monkeys.. They were more lyk baboons

• Troll

July 10, 2014 at 9:09 am

You’re most definitely from Port-Harcourt

• Mz Socially Awkward...

July 10, 2014 at 2:07 pm

I am most definitely going to take exception to this, as an unrepentant porracourt geh who stans hard for the city of her birth/upbringing. Left my PH pipu alone, oh!

5. sum1special

July 10, 2014 at 9:14 am

How i hate monkeys, they always constitute a nuisance everywhere. That is how one chased me down the street one evening for no reason.Was so embarrassing.

6. Uc

July 10, 2014 at 9:17 am

Hehe I am in ph too didnt hear of this.Thank you BN for this info Monkey and snakes kwa hmmmm i will drive 180 on d spot…..

7. KarmaYve

July 10, 2014 at 10:21 am

“Some eyewitness claimed that the third monkey had supernatural powers, as policemen reportedly shot at it over 30 times, and it refused to die.”

LMAO!!! You people won’t kill me.

• nene

July 10, 2014 at 4:01 pm

lmao

8. Victor Emeka Isaac

July 10, 2014 at 11:23 am

Hmmmm Twaz nad up to 30 bullets ooo

9. Merlly

July 10, 2014 at 11:28 am

through story! was there when one of the monkey guyz stole 1ok in Nkpoogu yesterday from on eman

10. Merlly

July 10, 2014 at 11:29 am

True story! was there when one of the monkey guyz stole 1ok in Nkpoogu yesterday from one man

11. tunmi

July 10, 2014 at 2:04 pm

makes sense. animals and humans have no value

12. Mz Socially Awkward...

July 10, 2014 at 2:11 pm

[And BN, I didn’t “love” the post… just left a comment… not sure why I’m being identified as having hit the love button but your site updates are keeping me on my toes] *worried frown*

13. EC

August 23, 2014 at 12:58 pm

My people, stay away from Monkeys and bats biko.