Music

Seyi Shay: I Don’t See Tiwa Savage as a Rival | Is the “Rivalry” Question Sexist?

BellaNaija.com

Waje, Tiwa Savage & Seyi Shay - Omawumi in Concert The Lasso of Truth -BellaNaija
Okay music fans and the media, can we stop with the comparison already?

Seyi Shay is having quite an exciting year. The singer’s latest track “Murda” is killing it on the music charts, she has a new deal with Bacardi Breezer and she is finally comfortable with her present image – which is more edgy and as she puts it uncontrolled.

In almost all interviews with female musicians, they are often asked if they feel threatened by other females in the music industry. And it is getting stale now.

Journalists and reporters rarely ask their male counterparts this question, which raises the conversation about sexism.

Seyi Shay's Murda B-T-S - June 2014 - BellaNaija.com 01006
In an interview with Punch, the question is thrown at Seyi Shay, asking if there is any rivalry between her and Tiwa Savage.
She says;

“I think people can see the difference between us now. The reason I don’t see Tiwa as a rival is because I know who I am. I know that I’m very much a fun-loving person. I’m still the woman of the world that many people know. I really don’t care about the things that are not going to affect me in a positive way. If it’s not going to affect me in a positive way, I don’t focus on it or think about it.

The difference is that I am deeper into the ragga stuff than she is. She portrays herself as somebody that is a cautious RnB artist, which she is. But I see myself as a commercial and carefree spirit. I don’t know her to that extent, so I can’t really speak about her. But I feel that Murda is my vibe and her vibe is her vibe.”

On her trending track Murda featuring Patoranking and Shaydee:

“Initially I didn’t like the song because it was too different from everything else that was out there. It took me three or four months to come back to the studio to finish it. With the success of this song, it is evident that people want something different. Hopefully, I can continue to give them something different all the time.”

To read the full interview, click here

1. Honeymix

July 18, 2014 at 4:36 am

I love Seyi Shay. She needs more PR. She’s actually sexier than Tiwa in my opinion, very subtle sexiness dats not even about her body.

2. Dolly

July 18, 2014 at 4:45 am

Ok seyi shay that shade on Tiwa savage was so not necessary. If there’s a beef you just made it obvious and while i agree you are talented and maybe a better dancer, you are nowhere Tiwa Savage, she’s a total package, a DIva….now stay in your lane girl!

• Dolly

July 18, 2014 at 4:47 am

Near*

• Nani

July 18, 2014 at 10:05 am

__/

3. TheMaestress

July 18, 2014 at 5:40 am

Your response to that question is wanting. Do you compare Tiwa, or any other female artiste for that matter, a rival? No, I do not. She is a unique, talented woman, and so am I. We both have avenues to pursue our creativity and be appreciated for it; that to me is what matters.

• FEEEEZ

July 18, 2014 at 9:27 am

BEST COMMENT EVER

• Non professional opinion

July 18, 2014 at 9:46 am

@maestress Can you please start a media training course. There is huge demand. As for Seyi, I think she still has a ways to go in developing a Tiwa free identity. I see her as the struggle Tiwa, and comments like this aren’t helping. It’s a little like Rita Ora who switches between Gwen Stefani and Rihanna. It’s difficult to “make it” when you haven’t found what truly sets you apart. I don’t even know what a “commercial free spirit” is….. But never give up Seyi. If you persevere you will succeed.

• Scholar

July 21, 2014 at 11:43 am

TheMaestress..u are such a wonderful person with a heart of an Angel. Wish shayi shay wil learn from u. God bless

4. Timz

July 18, 2014 at 8:03 am

Seyi that wasn’t necessary, the truth is you don’t even know where you belong,either gospel or cicullar…….chante to murda……….,I’m wondering……….. No one should be out for competition, just what you know best……and leave tiwa and the long comment,she is better.

• Tosin

July 18, 2014 at 10:31 am

gospel or …?

• Mousepad

July 18, 2014 at 11:12 am

Gospel or waaa??? err nwanne mmadu it’s “Secular” inula? Ndewo!

5. Meena

July 18, 2014 at 8:04 am

Thank you @TheMaestress for saying my mind.

6. Abeg

July 18, 2014 at 8:34 am

SEYI SHAY FOCUSES ON QUALITY EVERY F#%$#%^ TIME! TIWA IS QUITE THE ATTENTION WHORE WHO WILL DO ANYTHING JUST TO SELL. THEY ARE NOT RIVALS.

7. Bey

July 18, 2014 at 8:38 am

Abeg seyi is a better singer than Tiwa.. I just can’t stand Tiwa’s autotuned voice and seyi is way way sexier than Tiwa#my opinion#

• Anon

July 18, 2014 at 10:35 am

I agree.

8. Fashionista

July 18, 2014 at 9:23 am

Tiwa all day, everyday! erm minus live shows sha.

9. damsel

July 18, 2014 at 9:36 am

Tiwa live show is fantastic.

• Tee

July 18, 2014 at 10:31 am

Tiwa’s live shows are energetic but vocally flawed. Whereas Seyi has the energy and delivers vocally. #TeamSeyishay

10. Tosin

July 18, 2014 at 10:30 am

Without over-analyzing, I’ll say Murda wasn’t just different as you say, it was also very bloody good. Proud of this girl. Proud of you. Muuuah.

11. Janet

July 18, 2014 at 10:35 am

@TheMaestress you said it correct!

I love seyi shay and her music and performances, I love that she performs love all the time BUT she is rude. She doesn’t interview well at all. I’ve watched alot of her interviews and read them, she comes across as rude alot of the time. She needs PR training…and she needs it fast

• Janet

July 18, 2014 at 10:35 am

Performs live*

12. viva

July 18, 2014 at 11:38 am

Wat is b beef all about

13. sum1special

July 18, 2014 at 11:59 am

Dont like her (Seyi Shay) response to that question, wasnt an intelligent answer. From my observation she sounded like she truly is competing with Tiwa by saying she is deeper into Reggae than Tiwa…Like she shouldn’t have said that, no one asked her that. I like Seyi Shay a lot, love her fierceness but she needs to work on her intellect.

14. nene

July 18, 2014 at 1:41 pm

whatever. none of them have star quality. i’m yet to see a good female musician, an all rounder.

• poshangel_01

July 20, 2014 at 2:54 pm

For the “’m yet to see a good female musician, an all rounder.” You are sooo wrong! Omawunmi is super good dear.

15. chi-e-z

July 18, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Sorry but this seyi shay girl can not sing went to listen to her former group all suck. can’t deal… Tiwa on the other hand has that baby pitch soprano runs that when she does I just tingle. But frankly all the naija artists need to improve vocally except praiz and omawumi these ones jut have that creativity and captivation in their voice.Maybe all these talent show 2nd runner ups make better singers.

16. lpop

July 18, 2014 at 4:08 pm

…..Irawo; not bad , Raggae raggea ; Not bad at all and den Murda; dat song wants to murda me, as in i even sing it in my dreams. Sheyi is good but just needs to be cautioned on her responses to interviewers.

17. Truth

July 18, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Puhleeze! Seyi is more talented vocally! And she oozes sexiness effortlessly ! Waaaat! Tiwa just has a better PR team that puts her out there. Thumbs up seyi shay! The true Irawo

18. facts

July 19, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Her answer is so dumb. I don’t know, feels like the little respect I have for her (due to the Murda song) just vanished.

19. queen

July 20, 2014 at 5:43 am

The fish is about to start o,cos i don’t think this is serious enough to be beef! 🙂

20. sisi jules

July 21, 2014 at 2:07 pm

@Queen looool

21. amara

July 22, 2014 at 1:23 pm

I did notice the shade.. lol she’s new to scene she better not start making enemies now. Tiwa has awards under her belt don’t come for a queen.