Music

Ara Explains Why She Regrets Not Being a Virgin at 39

BellaNaija.com

Ara - August 2014 - BN Relationships - BellaNaija.com 02 (2)
In an interview with Encomium Weekly, Nigerian drummer Ara opens up about regrets, getting ready for 40 in January 2015 and her 3 year marriage to Olalekan Saliu.

On being 40 and fabulous: “Maybe my gene. I also try to do the right things. I try not to overdo things.”

On regrets at the age of 39: “How I wished I were still a virgin. Yeah, but it’s a good thing I have a beautiful son.”

On her split from her hubby: “It’s not even divorce. As at the time we got married, he (Olalekan Saliu) was still legally married to another woman. I wasn’t aware. So, automatically, our marriage was annulled Ab Initio.”

Ara - August 2014 - BN Relationships - BellaNaija.com 02 (1)

On regrets from the marriage: “I don’t have regret because a beautiful child came out of it. If I say I have a regret, then my son will be a regret. I don’t have to regret it because of my son.”

On problems of the marriage: “Yes, I was depressed and downcast. I never planned my life like that. I never knew I will experience this. I have always loved family life, having children who would be raised under the atmosphere of love. When all of that was happening, I naturally lost hope, but my son returned my hope.”

1. bruno

August 12, 2014 at 2:40 pm

I have never had sex with a girl, does that make me a virgin?

• oh

August 12, 2014 at 2:52 pm

but you have with men?hmm 14 yrs for you

• Tee

August 12, 2014 at 3:19 pm

You get me rolling on the flour with laughter…..please have mercy on the guy let it be 14months abeg o!

• Annie

August 12, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Ahhh Bruno, have u had sex with mehn? 14yrs awaits u..abi u wank ni? or get BJ from babes? i am sorry to bust ur bubbles, u ain’t no virgin, all of u doing oral and avoid the actual penetration and claiming to be virgins remember dairis God ooo….

• LILY

August 12, 2014 at 6:33 pm

@ bruno, if your post is actually true, then kudos to you….just because everyone is having sex and wandering about with a sick idea that “no sex outside marriage sucks” shouldnt be the driving force behind your sexual life. Virginity among men is very scares and not often spoken about in our modern days.

• deb

August 12, 2014 at 6:50 pm

NO, it makes you a SAINT(eyes rolling) so you have been engaging in oral sex&homosexuality? Please share your experiences…

• maria

August 12, 2014 at 7:22 pm

@Bruno you are hilarious. do you expect an answer

• MaMa T

August 13, 2014 at 3:44 am

REALLY

2. tee

August 12, 2014 at 2:51 pm

@ bruno eya no wonder you are very sad….you need help or probably get laid so you don’t suffer depression. In reality you need jesus…………………….Lol

3. chika

August 12, 2014 at 3:01 pm

cream and soap is cheaper…some sanitizers lather dho…..lol

4. quex

August 12, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Such is life

5. queen

August 12, 2014 at 3:17 pm

She doesn’t really say why she regrets not being a virgin though..a virgin at 40..joker

6. Esther

August 12, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Pls do tell us ur regret of not being a virgin @ 39. so history wil not repeat itsef

7. Dee

August 12, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Hmmmm lmao! I guess people can feel your pain .. I’m speechless

8. Prinze Charles

August 12, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Never heard anything so funny. Absolute Self pity. Did’t know he was legally married Indeed! …non be only Ab initio. Cos you are the First and only one to end up a Second Wife. Nonsense!

• wonu

August 12, 2014 at 5:23 pm

this Prinze Charles is stupid, this a those who normalise polygamy. the worse of it is normalising lies. So you are saying it is ok for her to be a second wife and not know, Stupid monkey.

9. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

August 12, 2014 at 4:46 pm

I don’t think we should be quick to knock down her statement. This is may not be the full interview, just an excerpt from the full quote. Her reason for wishing to be a virgin at 39 are her own, though I do not think she should have put that out there. Our private musings sometimes some across as bewildering to others. I find her very warm and personable or maybe I am biased because I was once danced on a stage with her as she beat that drum of hers. That gan gan is the real deal, my people.

10. PT

August 12, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Ara has been rocking the super long braid ‘trend’ before Amigo gave way to Expression. trendsetteralert…lol

• Ewa

August 12, 2014 at 6:18 pm

LOL

11. Yinx

August 12, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Ara really needs to ease up with the braids! her edges are gone! that’s all ive got.

12. wisest duchess

August 12, 2014 at 6:47 pm

No comment. Just love her style.

13. Aggie

August 12, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Wow braids have really wrecked her hairline.

14. anonymous

August 13, 2014 at 11:14 am

seriously i pity her for marrying a deceitful man ooo. but wait, didn’t you meet his family members? how much of him did you know before tying the knots.. no matter how careful a guy is with his past.. the truth somehow surfaces out or your instincts i still feel you married out of pressunr at age 34… but on the virginity case.. would you have really loved being a virgin at 39???? why not say you regret the man who popped your cherry and not the process itself… u must have enjoyed it at some point until you found out he was legally married. pele sho gbo. there are surgeries to fix the torn hymen tho. if you still want it in place.

• that nkwerre gal

August 13, 2014 at 10:15 pm

An insensitive cow is what you are!!

15. fisa

August 13, 2014 at 1:43 pm

you will never truly understand her pain until you keep your virginity for a very long time and then u eventually lose it to a cheat, liar and deceitful man. Walk in her shoes to understand her pains. Its never a good ordeal. Talking from experience