Scoop

Ebola: Chidi Mokeme says Victims Who Escape Quarantine Should Be Shot On Sight

BellaNaija.com

Beverly Naya & Chidi Mokeme cover Redsheet Magazine - March 2014 - BellaNaija - 022
Yesterday, BN brought you the news of a Nigerian nurse who escaped being quarantined in Lagos, and fled to Enugu. She reportedly came in contact with 20 additional people.

Actor Chidi Mokeme took to Twitter to talk about individuals who escape being quarantined. Chidi says they should be shot on sight.

Read his tweets.

1. bruno

August 14, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Dear chidi you’re an idiot why would you be promoting violence, I know everyone is angry and concerned with this ebola matter but violence can never be the answer. U know nigerians will start killing anyone who has a fever or any one showing ebola symptoms but don’t have ebola.

2. bruno

August 14, 2014 at 2:04 pm

You religious people make me laugh, you have ebola, why don’t you go to your church or mosque where your god is, let him save you. Religion can never ever cure any disease, argue and insult me all you want, but its the truth.

• Thatgidigirl

August 14, 2014 at 2:43 pm

I don’t know what happened to your childhood, and can’t tell the kind of abuse you went through i can only guess the extent from your current mental state. My brother, i just want to give you an e-hug and tell you it is well….must really be sad being you. #legionaintgotnothingonthespiritsinthisdude

• Igbeyinadun

August 14, 2014 at 3:52 pm

lol at #legionaintgotnothingonthespiritsinthisdude

• bruno

August 14, 2014 at 5:55 pm

@thatgidigirl and @ibeyadun are the same person, lol u are so pathtic for you to go and reply u own comment with another name, saying lol to ur own comment,sad

• Onyx

August 14, 2014 at 2:59 pm

I have seen your millions of comments on every single post I read on this forum and its always about religion or something with the propensity for extreme controversy. I have come to the conclusion that you are seeking some kind of deep attention that is far more than superficial human contact or mindless anonymous internet banter can cure… take heart ok? you’ll be fine… reach out to someone.

• Author Unknown

August 14, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Bruno, it seems you say the same thing on every posting of yours. Not everyone dislikes gays (remember they are our family and friends too) and not everyone is a religious fanatic. Religion happens to be an aspect of life to some degree in virtually every culture, and that’s really not going to change. Your rants sound no different from a religious bigot’s when you think about it. Take a chill pill, and relax. It’s not that serious.

• bruno

August 14, 2014 at 3:22 pm

@truth, if u like keep using culture to validate your ignorance and stupidity, keep worshiping a white man. And who told you I’m gay, I am “ASEXUAL” lol

• Zeze

August 14, 2014 at 3:07 pm

You really should shut up and take a moment to think about your future and what you stand for, instead of making uneducated and might i add inappropriate comments on social media. Its not about religion and its certainly not about YOU!!! You silly drama queen !!

• Pat

August 14, 2014 at 6:05 pm

@bruno, u must have been terribly neglected growing up that’s why u seek attention desperately by all means. I genuinely hope u find the help u need.

3. MsBlossom

August 14, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Its really scary, why would someone do that to endanger others, knowing this illness is a death sentence. I refuse to glorify it oh!. Desperate situation calling for desperate measure & things I see in the movies now happening in real life.

We will survive this.

4. @edDREAMZ

August 14, 2014 at 2:25 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    True talk man. Am with him on this one no doubt……
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

5. Beeee

August 14, 2014 at 2:37 pm

I am sure he doesn’t literally mean that they should be shot. I definitely agree that it should be a criminal offence. I mean how wicked can people be? You know you have that kind of serious disease and you knowingly escape quarantine. You have become a weapon of mass destruction indeed because by the time you come in contact with someone in enugu for example and infect the person, the person could travel to port harcourt and infect another person and before you know it, we would have an epidemic on our hands.

6. bishop

August 14, 2014 at 2:38 pm

All this past alaba actors using ebola to show there selves..b4 you knw now him go play lead about how ebola clear wan okuzu village..smh

7. Nelly Udoh

August 14, 2014 at 2:41 pm

What good are you doing to yourself if you escape from guarantine? One thing i know-you’r trying to infect others- you should be shot at sight. Like seriously. Thank God it wasn’t my state you went to. Mtcheew!

8. Nelly Udoh

August 14, 2014 at 2:44 pm

What good are you doing to yourself if you escape from quarantine? One thing i know-you’r trying to infect others- you should be shot at sight. Like seriously. Thank God it wasn’t my state you went to. Mtcheew!

9. sum1special

August 14, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Chidi is vexing oh..i understand where he is coming from but violence isnt the answer.

10. Dee

August 14, 2014 at 2:55 pm

@ Bruno, he doesn’t really mean that kind of shoot but you know it’s annoying that folks are still trying to spread it, how can you be a Nurse, you know the grill and still ran away to another State and infected 20 people when she’s aware that it’s epidemic and every one is trying to be careful before it becomes pandemic. Now it’s in Lagos & Enugu.

• C'est moi

August 14, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Yes, I initially though that as a nurse she should know better however but if she hasn’t tested positive yet was quarantined with confirmed cases then she knows she has a better chance of surving out of quarantine & thus bailed..

They are yet to inform us how they are quarantined. The correct procedure should be individual isolated units but i seriously doubt that is the case. As it stands now, one could enter quarantine with a genuine case of mild sever and end up with ebola. I certainly wouldn’t allow myself to be quarantined with others and would escape such a scenario.

11. Author Unknown

August 14, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Chidi, make up your mind if you want to think like a civilised person or a barbarian. You make a comparison between an American checking into quarantine, and a Nigerian escaping one, and then go on to suggest shooting escapees? I’m guessing then you’re not condemning the Nigerian escapee nurse. Ebola is a terrible disease, and must be scary for people who have contracted it. It is up to the hospitals to ensure isolation centres are secure. Please stick to acting ehn.

12. OGINII!!

August 14, 2014 at 3:08 pm

@ Chidi you are somewhat right but to profer shoot @ sight as solution makes me want 2 put a gun to your own head. People react differently in desperate situations. That said my heart goes out to the family of Nurse Justina whom I hear is now late.

13. Truth Teller

August 14, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Bruno, leave your atheism out of this and leave those that believe in God to believe in God just as you have chosen to assume man evolved from apes! Nonetheless, Chidi’s comments are somewhat offensive and that’s in no way to support the nurse. Her escaping quarantine has done more harm than good and should not be applauded but to ‘shoot at sight’, come on!

14. RitaPraize

August 14, 2014 at 3:12 pm

That remark from Chidi Mokeme is really an insensitive one…what if its a family memeber of his or a close friend that is in that situation? Will he recommend shoting on site? It could even be him tomorrow who knows…and that opinion of his can also be seen as incisive…please let’s think of the concequences of what we say …

15. TrueTalk

August 14, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Chidi! Chidi! Chidiiiii! (I’m drawing my ear and asking you) How many times did I call you ?
    Nna biko, if you know what is good for you, just keep quiet.

16. Fume

August 14, 2014 at 3:39 pm

i just was discussing this at the office, that truly people trying to escape should be shot……with TRANQUILIZERS O, because if we sincerely look at it, would you risk your life to make sure an infected patient doesn’t escape? i can imagine security telling her don’t run but are scared to go near her. Think about it
    ; he is somewhat right in suggesting extreme measures

17. chi-e-z

August 14, 2014 at 3:41 pm

I think he was just saying that would be the protocol for a mass murderer and since her actions could be considered a criminal offense of such nature then the same protocol should be taken.Do I agree? Hmm.. I agree that she was selfish, is lethal, and is completely Ignorant. Should she be shot with multiple rounds of bullets from a revolver for endangering the whole nation…. Hmm…. Depends on the intent? Was it premeditated infecting of others or ignorance difference between 1st degree murder and manslaughter (life and 15-30years)

18. tuulz

August 14, 2014 at 3:48 pm

this Ebola virus reminds me of World War Z

• Kina

August 15, 2014 at 8:34 am

I was thinking the same thing. It’s really scary. Now they say it’s airborne . I won’t be surprised if this virus is been tweaked in a lab somewhere. Any way conspiracy theories for you. Mazi Chidi ,shoot at sight is draconian. I think a better approach will be a mass information campaign. Educate the people about the disease, how it is spread, the symptoms, reassure people of medical facilities where they can get treatment. That’s a big ask considering the state of education in Nigeria and people’s inability to comprehend. It’s better than asking an already trigger happy itchy fingered popo to shoot at sight imagine the carnage Mr Chidi!?

19. just me

August 14, 2014 at 3:55 pm

I agree with you ooo @Chidi ….i said the same thing yesterday….its not been mean……its the only way the rest can bE protected, where are they running to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. C'est moi

August 14, 2014 at 4:06 pm

errr not everyone in quarantine will have the virus so you can’t just be shooting people any how.

21. Debbie Ade

August 14, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Bella Naija, if you put love this button here, you also need to put unlove. I loved an irrational person’s comment just now in error and there was no way to unlove it.

Thank You!

22. Debbie Ade

August 14, 2014 at 4:54 pm

My question is are these quarantine areas habitable? If you put people in a dingy place, changes are that they’ll want to take off.

23. Leah

August 14, 2014 at 5:50 pm

I do not condone violence but I absolutely see where the man is coming from. Everything he said is right except the “shoot on site”, because idiots will start shooting any sick around them. A Nigerian nurse knows exactly what the do to sick patience (no care or compassion) and she knows the same fate awaits her that’s why she ran.

24. lol

August 14, 2014 at 6:44 pm

For those condemning the actor’s comments. I will bet that if a relative of yours comes in contact with that nurse today, you will be singing a totally different song. What the nurse has done is extremely malicious. I don’t condone violence in any way but what the lady has done is also violent . Like I said should the lady come in contact with your close family member, most of the people condemning his comments will be the first to carry a shot gun.

25. Malu c

August 14, 2014 at 9:35 pm

is shooting on side the best way?

26. Will

August 14, 2014 at 10:25 pm

BRUNO is aTroll! people stop feeding it.

27. jwezee

August 14, 2014 at 11:54 pm

All m saying is if u were in that nurses shoes u Polly do the same….telling someone they have Ebola n few days to live is mind blowing…and ur reflex might just be to walk for miles n miles non stop….#justsaying #Ebolaisreal #Ebolaisserious

28. Bina

August 15, 2014 at 4:48 pm

I think what we seem to forget is that, even though they are the same situation the conditions are different. I am not in any way condoning what the nurse did but if we want to stop this from happening in future then we will have to look at the conditions in which we put suspected Ebola patient in. Lets all remember that this can happen to any body as we do not know who we will come into contact next. We need to make sure the conditions at these isolation centers are contusive and that these people are not left to die just because they have come in contact with an Ebola patient . Lets remember they are “SUSPECTS” who have not yet been diagnosed and if we are not careful these people will contract the disease even if you didn’t have it before and believe me nobody will like to be in those conditions. No wonder they sll try to run. I can assure you this will defiantly not happen in USA so lets quit comparing. If these people feel they have the necessary support I believe they will turn themselves in . After all not all Ebola patients die. I think its a 90% death rate meaning even those with Ebola still have a slight chance of survival so lets put in an effort to try an help these people instead of treating like living corpse