News

Ebola: Nigerian Nurse Who Came in Contact with Patrick Sawyer Dies

BellaNaija.com

Obi Justina Ejelonu - August 2014 - Ebola - BellaNaija.com 01
A nurse who attended to Liberian-American Ebola victim Obi Justina Ejelonu has died.

Her family confirmed the story to Sahara Reporters through a telephone call. She passed away this morning.

Ejelonu was in a quarantine facility in Lagos.

Until her death, she was outspoken about the virus. and was at the centre of a campaign for the Zmapp experimental drug to be sent to Nigeria.

Before she was diagnosed the virus, she posted this message on Facebook;

“Obi Justina Ejelonu:

Friends,
thank God for me o.i had a close contact with the first Ebola case in Nigeria..:.Long story cut short,God saved me dearly.join me in thanking God.

I never contacted his fluids. I checked his vitals, helped him with his food (he was too weak)…..I basically touched where his hands touched and that’s the only contact. Not directly with his  fluids. At a stage, he yanked off his infusion and we had blood everywhere on his bed…..but the ward maids took care of that and changed his linens with great precaution. Every patient is treated as high risk …..if it were airborne, by now wahala for dey. I still thank God.

Friends, up to our uniforms n all linens were burnt off. We r on surveillance n off work till 11th. Our samples v long bn taken by WHO n so far we v been fine. For me, kudos to my hospital managt cos we work professionally wt every patient considered risk cos thats d training. Had it been it’s a hospital where they manage ordinary gloves lik Govt hospital n some janjaweed private hosp..:lol….wahala for dey o. I must also thank Lagos Govt….infact! Even fed govt sef….all been supportive. I’m good n so r the others in d hospital”

Unfortunately, a few days later, she tested positive for Ebola and has now passed away.

R.I.P.

1. Biz

August 14, 2014 at 2:35 pm

What a shame. May her soul rest in peace. Amen.

• Lord Save Nigeria

August 15, 2014 at 1:05 am

I hope Patrick Sawyers wife reads this…. i wish she didnt say anything. she was soooo annoying with her defense of her husbands actions. now a 25 year old is dead….
      Lord Save Nigeria from this disease.

2. adelegirl

August 14, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Very sad. May her soul rest in peace and may God comfort and encompass all those left behind to bear the pain of her demise in His perfect peace

3. sum1special

August 14, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Only if she had stayed put in the quarantine centre in Lagos, she might have survived.This news is devastating.

• jcsgrl

August 14, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Erm she is not the nurse who escaped…read well.
      RIP my dear…lord knows I prayed and prayed for you and others. Rest in the sweet bossom of our lord

4. Lustre

August 14, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Oh dear!

5. wendy

August 14, 2014 at 2:40 pm

RIP

6. bruno

August 14, 2014 at 2:43 pm

So sad, RIP, (but is she the one that escaped to enugu?)

7. bruno

August 14, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Dear bella naija what is liberian-american ebola victim,in this kind of situation, america does not know patrick sawyer oh, RIP ms obi justina.

• slice

August 14, 2014 at 3:34 pm

actually U.S. media have been clear that he was an american citizen

8. Author Unknown

August 14, 2014 at 2:47 pm

I was personally touched by her story for some reason. RIP. No more pain.

9. NNEKA

August 14, 2014 at 2:53 pm

May her soul rest in perfect peace. Amen

10. jenny

August 14, 2014 at 2:54 pm

May u ever rest in D LORD 4 saving a soul Amen

11. Gorgeous

August 14, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Ah Ah Ah!!!! I feel so pained. OMG

12. Tony

August 14, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Patrick sawyer will never see peace in that hell fire he is now.

• C'est moi

August 14, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Well according to your good book, he could be in heaven for all you know. All it takes is a simple prayer which could have muttured before his passing.

• adesuwa

August 15, 2014 at 6:19 pm

@tony its ohk, may her soul rest in perfect peace yil sawyer’s in pieces

13. Loulou

August 14, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Hmmm, what more can we say! May she rest in peace…

14. Carliforniabawlar

August 14, 2014 at 3:10 pm

May her soul rest in peace!!
    Yesterday, I read a comment on here about the terrible state of the quarantine/isolation centers. How true is it? Are people ‘suspected’ of having the virus held in the same facilities/rooms as the confirmed/diagnosed patients? Are the doctors sure they are not infecting the patients by not properly sterilizing after dealing with each person. Seeing as we are yet to see anyone return alive from quarantine, these are pertinent questions we should ask as responsible citizens looking out for our brothers and sisters out there. And if in our usual fashion Nigeria is being incompetent in the handling of it citizens, we might have to call on WHO to step in and make sure these centers are conforming to standard.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

August 14, 2014 at 4:01 pm

It’s the holding of “people suspected” along with people who’re actually infected with the virus that worries me the most. I know the Nigerian authorities and how their over-zealousness can wreak more havoc in this sort of situation. My fear is that 1st hand and 2nd hand contacts are just being picked up and thrown into the same environment without anyone actually thinking of demarcating the quarantine facilities.

God, please, let the mind-boggling incompetence in this country not continue to claim more lives than are necessary.

And regarding this young woman’s death – one of the real tragedies of what Mr. Sawyer unleashed on an unsuspecting country.

• jinkelele

August 14, 2014 at 9:02 pm

That rumour is untrue so dont perpetuate please.
      People just make up things simply out distrust for anything Nigerian

15. bishop

August 14, 2014 at 3:11 pm

16. Sisieko

August 14, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Oh my God, may her soup R.I.P, hope Sawyer’s wife is reading this. A beautiful woman cut down in her prime for being at the right place at a wrong time. She was jus 25 with her life ahead her. Her dreams, hopes and aspirations all cut short because of the selfishness of one individual. My heart aches for her family. Sleep on Justina. I’m sure you made peace with your Maker and you’re being borne on angels wings right now as I type.

17. TrueTalk

August 14, 2014 at 3:13 pm

May she rest in peace.

18. bishop

August 14, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Mehn dis ebola shit no know person..see her smile..1 in all earth..God punish those american scientist wey invent ebola..and don’t tellme nonsense..na dem!! Mudafuckerz sayin is bats and bushmeat

19. Uzzy

August 14, 2014 at 3:25 pm

This is so sad. May she RIP

20. libby

August 14, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Poor girl. I feel so angry whenever i read or hear about this patrick sawyer man (not that it changes anything).

21. @edDREAMZ

August 14, 2014 at 3:29 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    If not for that worthless patrick sawyer non of this will be happening in the first place…. May her soul R.I.P…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

22. Jhennique

August 14, 2014 at 3:55 pm

mtchewwwwwwwww! Just die for nothing! God pass devil oh! RIP

23. MSCOOKIE

August 14, 2014 at 4:11 pm

so sad this patrick sawyer may GOD FORGIVE YOU

24. Lanre

August 14, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Patrick Sawyer will answer to God

25. merci

August 14, 2014 at 4:20 pm

She was not the same nurse who travelled to Enugu.
    Our health system is really messed up, how can the minister of health be proud to call that makeshift an isolation centre. Please he better gets his acts right before more health workers die out of stigmatization rather than the actual disease.
    RIP Justina….

• jinkelele

August 14, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Where you expecting an elaborate building, pray tell do you think isolation centres elsewhere are not makeshift.

All those quarantined are in the Infectious Disease Hospital which is the best place for this,

26. TheresaO

August 14, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Just like that…at 25 she was full of dreams and aspirations…everything gone… SMH. Justina I pray you rest in peace, thank you for all your selfless acts of love to patients. May God bless the medical personnel, army/security and all others who protect us from ebola, Boko Haram and all other forms of harm. Lord please strengthen the families of the deceased with the knowledge that their loved ones died in service to humanity. Also give them hope in the Resurrection Day where there shall be no more tears and we shall never part again.

27. ayodele

August 14, 2014 at 4:49 pm

I’m so sad…RIP Nurse

28. hafsat Aminullah

August 14, 2014 at 5:08 pm

may her gentle soul rst in perfect peace

29. Maxime

August 14, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Soooo sad. RIP Justina.

30. Leah

August 14, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Best wishes to her family. Nigerian nurses and Doctors are the least caring people in the world and the hospitals are really a place you send people to die. One can only imagine the horror in that isolation center.

31. Wale

August 14, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Something really suspicious is going on here. This lady was the one giving us the gist of everything happening in the quarantine facility in Lagos and she said she was not infected and expected to be discharged the next day. So how come she is dead suddenly. Even if she tested positive on Monday just before she was discharged, A BAH! today is only Thursday, even the worst ebola victims still have a couple of weeks to struggle through the illness. My people, I have now confirmed my biggest suspicion, Our government is euthanizing these people!!! I believe the same was done to Patrick Sawyer-at least his was justified. But EUTHANIZING ITS OWN citizens. Going into a Nigerian quarantine is a guaranteed death sentence- so it seems. If this pattern continues, Nigerians are not stupid, they will start running and no one would want to go to a place of No-Return!!! Not trusting the government and these facilities will lead to an even bigger problem-the disease will spread. Solution, they should take a camera crew inside this facility in Lagos and let us see the conditions and medical arrangement they have in place. MESSAGE-DO NOT CATCH EBOLA IN NIGERIA! YOU WILL NOT COME OUT OF THAT QUARANTINE ALIVE!

• Jojo

August 14, 2014 at 9:06 pm

What kind of idiotic statement is this ? about EUTHANIZING ITS OWN citizens? Are you smoking something bad?

• jinkelele

August 14, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Maybe you should read the medical advice , anything from 2days to 21days is the window. Primary contacts were quarantined and they were all confirmed to have the virus including her

• Hmmm

August 15, 2014 at 3:16 am

I’m really beginning to think along this line ….Ebola kills yes but not magically ….MY GOD NIGERIA

32. Tosin

August 14, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Love her sense of humour. She must have been really cool. RIP Sister.

33. Abbie

August 14, 2014 at 6:47 pm

This is really sad,we were in ogunstate NYSC camp together in 2012,so bubbly and full of life.Sleep on Tina

34. Deedar

August 14, 2014 at 8:21 pm

You seem smart, so you must know that there is nothing helpful to anyone in this comment. No one goes looking for Ebola, and whipping up fear (no doubt from a part of the world that is still Ebola-free) is not helping those of us who are living in the affected areas. You would have been better off posting some Ebola prevention tips or something. Or maybe expressing condolences to Justina’s family and friends.

• Deedar

August 14, 2014 at 8:22 pm

My comment was for Wale.

• Wale

August 15, 2014 at 8:27 am

Thanks, as a matter of fact I will. But first, I think people should watch Prof. Omilabu’s interview on Sahara reporters on prevention. He explains the disease and its prevention in a simple way that most Nigerians would understand. Very informative. I will come back with something soon.

35. Jojo

August 14, 2014 at 9:03 pm

RIP. How sad. That Sawyer man…, if I were to meet him.. I would definitely hurt him. Unfortunately he is gone and carried a lot of people in his wake.
    someone please tell his wife to shut the hell up. she is not responsible and I understand and sympethize with her loss but her ‘terrorist’ hubby has done Naija real bad

36. me

August 14, 2014 at 9:26 pm

It’s sad how we think we can write whatever we assume even without confirmation. Hey this lady has been very ill for a while and even bleeding profusely as well as stooling so where did you get that she was fine and never ill? Patrick Sawyer died a few days after he manifested and so did the catholic priest and Librarian Doctors,so there’s nothing fishy about her case . Stop instigating people unnecessarily and fueling ignorance. May she rest in peace with the Lord.

37. Tee

August 14, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Wale pls stop spreading false rumour please the lady herself claimed the hospital was very professional and the state and federal govt have been supportive. I don’t see any reason why they would want to take her life. No media can be in and out of a quarantine facility cos that’s risky. May God console her family and am sure she’s In a better place

• Wale

August 15, 2014 at 8:22 am

You’ve just demonstrated the classic problem we have that country. Emotionality and the quick acceptance of any lousy information the government throws at you. I maybe far away, but I almost certainly speak from fact-refer to today’s the nations newspaper and the punch about the conditions at the facilities. I knew about the conditions a couple of days ago because I read that families that had contacts in the quarantine facilities were lamenting. Again- only one WHO doctor, no water, no light, completely no medical facility. they are just left to die-period! By the way, as at this morning the UN headline is Ebola outbreak is vastly underestimated. Code word- it has gotten out of hand. They’ve already done their projections and have seen that West Africa is in for a very wild and terrible ride ahead. Brace up!!!

38. [email protected]

August 15, 2014 at 12:00 am

May God severely punish the American pharma companies and Doctors who came to Africa to spread this nonsense..Out of no where Ebola that they have been experimenting on in Congo just resurrected in Liberia and found itself in Nigeria right..You Pharma companies and Doctors shall surely be judged and burn to ashes..BEHOLD!!

39. Pink

August 15, 2014 at 3:54 am

Seems like people are not properly educated about this ebola. It can be contacted from the air not just through body fluid.

40. SmashingM

August 15, 2014 at 9:09 am

May her soul rest in perfect peace. Amen.

41. Nerybanty

August 15, 2014 at 9:36 am

@ Tosin, u”re right. Justina was a fun loving babe, if something doesn’t go down well with her she will tell. She was my team / platoon member during our service year. Its so saddening when her CMD called and asked if have heard about her death. May Justina Obi’s soul rest in perfect peace, Amen.

42. sir Iyk

August 15, 2014 at 10:25 am

My dear obi, may your soul rest in perfect peace.

43. Sa

August 15, 2014 at 10:28 am

Obi Justina was a lovely lady, her passion to care for others killed her.. She started off in medical school, i remember asking her must it be medicine when she was asked to leave she chose nursing. To think we chatted and i didn’t follow up wondering why she did not reply my last chat not knowing she had been admitted after showing symptoms (symptoms she thought was due to pregnancy). She had a miscarriage and no doctor was willing to check her due to the fear of the virus. She just suffered but yet was positive. God rest your soul dear friend, i’m so sorry for not communicating better i thought we had all the time in the world.

44. sir Iyk

August 15, 2014 at 10:34 am

Obioma, so death has taken you away from us. i can’t believe this! Ubonukam oso agbala! Nne ga nke oma, May God grant you eternal rest.

45. Isabella

August 15, 2014 at 1:32 pm

She was the most bubbling person I know. Full of life and fun company. It is so sad Tina but God knows and may He comfort your mum. Rest in peace dear friend.

46. Princess Oleka-CHINEDU

August 15, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Honesty I’m battling with the tears in my eyes. This is a news I never wanted to hear or read about. I prayed so hard that she wud survive. When did taking care of d sick or feeding them bcom a crime that even leads to death? Well God Almighty u no best. Ndi Mbaise Observe one minuite silence for a departed sister, daughter & hero!!! RIP EJO.

47. Annoymous

August 15, 2014 at 11:10 pm

RIP Justina.

48. Annoymous

August 15, 2014 at 11:16 pm

RIP JUSTINA! My heart bled when I read your post on FB last week. I was brutally sad when I read it yesterday that you were gone. Patric Sawyer You have brought this sad outbreak into Nigeria, Lagos the largest city in Africa of more than 21m people, The Lord will not forgive you because you are a selfish and a heartless person.

49. Osagie

August 16, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Rest in Perfect Peace

50. TLC

August 16, 2014 at 1:31 pm

RIP dear,i couldnt help going thru our chats,you were so passionate about your Job.May you continue to rest in the bossom of the Lord Justina.We love you,but God loves you more.

51. hotty mama

August 21, 2014 at 11:24 am

I don’t know justina but I read about her on fb. Her story was so touchy. Its so sad to hear that she is dead becos of her cimpasionate heart. God allowed all that to happen. I pray that God will console her famili n friends.