Connect with us

Advertisement

News

Ebola: Pres. Jonathan Condemns Discrimination Against Nigerians

Published

 on

Goodluck Jonathan Bella Naija

Abuja (NAN) – President Goodluck Jonathan on Wednesday condemned the stigmatisation of Nigerians by some countries over recent cases of Ebola virus in the country.

Jonathan made this known at a meeting with David Navarro, the Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary-General on Ebola, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

This is contained in a statement issued by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Reuben Abati.

The president, according to the statement, decried discriminatory actions by some countries against Nigeria, including the incident which forced Nigeria’s team to the Youth Olympics in China to abandon its participation.

He said that there was no justification for such stigmatisation of Nigerians since the Ebola Virus had been effectively contained in the country and never attained epidemic level.

He called for the immediate cessation of every discriminatory action against Nigerians around the world over the virus and urged the UN Secretary General, Ban Ki-Moon, to support the call.

Acknowledging the secretary-general’s commendation of Nigeria’s response to the Ebola outbreak, the president attributed it to the efforts of the Federal Ministry of Health, Lagos State Government and citizens.

“All hands have been on deck to contain the virus here. I commend my team and the Lagos State Government.

“We have been able to set politics aside and work in unison to deal with a national threat.

“All other Nigerians have played a part too by complying with the directives and advice we have issued to stop the virus from spreading any further.

“The success we have had is a testimony to what we can achieve as people if we set aside our differences and work together,’’ he said.

He assured the UN that the Federal Government and its agencies would remain vigilant to guard against further cases of Ebola in the country.

“We will continue to monitor the situation and we will also support other affected African countries as much as we can.

“This is because we cannot be completely safe from the virus as long as it continues to ravage some countries in our sub-region and continent.

“We will continue to work with the international community to curb the outbreak in other countries,’’ Jonathan said.

Earlier, Navarro who had visited Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone, before coming to Nigeria said he was in Nigeria on the instruction of the UN Secretary-General to applaud Nigeria’s successful containment of the virus.
“The Secretary-General asked me to come here too, not because you have an Ebola problem, but because you have tackled it in an exemplary fashion. Your personal leadership on the matter has been key.

“There may still be some work to be done before the virus is completely cleared out from here, but other countries can learn from your fine example,’’ he said.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) was established by the Federal Government of Nigeria in May 1976 to gather and distribute news on Nigeria and cover events of interest to Nigeria at the international level for the benefit of the Nigerian Media and the Public.

10 Comments

  1. Ayishaa

    August 28, 2014 at 1:34 pm

    Mr president all u do is condemn………y don’t u act and do something……..it was a diplomat that failed to turn himself in when he found out he was ill., And yet Nigerians don’t know the hotel that was shut down or if the diplomat had another contact outside the doctor. Ur health minister says u approved 19 billion for new cars o!!!!!!!!! U will continue to work with international comm to curb it in other countries, yet ur own country is still plagued by the virus. Oshi

  2. bruno

    August 28, 2014 at 1:56 pm

    Apart from ebola, people will still discriminate nigerians cause nigeria is a terrible country.

  3. huummm

    August 28, 2014 at 2:11 pm

    With all due respect mr president, these countries are entitled to protect their interest if Nigeria doesnt do so for itself. So, stop complaining, its a matter of survival.

    • to huummm

      September 2, 2014 at 9:57 am

      AND Nigeria is also entitled to protect her interest, as President Jonathan is doing! Yeye ‘huummm’!!!

      Your attitude is TYPICAL of what is wrong with Nigeria – we are more interested in others than we are in our own !

  4. Author Unknown

    August 28, 2014 at 2:33 pm

    Nigeria has no legal or moral right to scream discrimination. You’re one of the masters of it. Ebola is just a recent addition to the long rap sheet. When our constitution protects all Nigerians from discrimination based on religious, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, state of origin etc. we can open our mouths to complain. Until then.

  5. Nnegel

    August 28, 2014 at 3:00 pm

    Now, i must commend you Mr. President for your great effort by putting away politics and making all hands be on deck to battle this national threat. for truly the virus has really been contained, because this problem would have shot down the system if it had escalated more than this. For the discrimination we still need to work more on that, for our brothers out there are no longer finding it funny even before the upheaval of the EVD. please do put more effort on the general discrimination so as for those people out there to leave freely as well, like they belong there.

  6. Uju

    August 28, 2014 at 3:06 pm

    China is only doing what Nigeria failed to do from the onset.

    They are protecting themselves from the Nigerian “Patrick Sawyer”

    Please stop condemning them, one billion people at risk is not a joke.

  7. MrsHappy

    August 28, 2014 at 4:02 pm

    If the man does not stand up for his citizens we will complain, now he has spoken, we are still complaining, smh….Nnegel, I love your comment. This outbreak could have been worse and I am proud that it was contained quickly.

  8. Cee

    August 28, 2014 at 4:57 pm

    Well said Mr. President. Please do more so that you will get a “Well done”… Salut’

  9. ak

    August 28, 2014 at 7:05 pm

    Big head,

    At least Jonathan and his foolish Minister were able to “contain” the virus.

    Oh wait, the virus was ONLY in Lagos State and it was OUR COMMISSIONER and Fashola that contained it. Even the Minister was and still is clueless.

    Jonathan and his army of clueless idiots who will see sand and call it gaari

    Foolish man.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Tangerine Africa
css.php