News

HIV+ Ghanaian Singer/Actress speaks on Contracting Virus, Challenges & Finding Love

BellaNaija.com

Joyce Dzidzor-Nartey - August 2014 - BellaNaija.com 01
In 2007, Joyce Dzidzor Nartey had unprotected sex with a member of her church. A few weeks later, she found out she was pregnant and HIV positive.

The news was devastating at the time, but the Ghanaian singer and actress came out brave. She found true love, and is now an awareness advocate for HIV/Aids.

In an interview with Vanguard, she details her story.
Read excerpts;
On living with HIV: “I have lived with HIV/AIDS virus for seven years now. I contacted the disease in 2007. But I’m just a normal person. When people meet me and tend to find out how I’m feeling, I always tell them I’m a normal person.

As a matter of fact, I visited a school to educate the students. After talking to them they were keen to test for HIV. I also joined the queue and got tested but it was negative. It means one must stay with one’s medication forever. Regular medication can make it read that way. It doesn’t mean such a person is no longer a carrier.”

On contracting the virus: “I contacted the disease in 2007, through a member of my church. I was to spend a night with him in his house. When he removed his clothes, I saw some kind of rashes all over his body. I was terrified, as I innocently asked him why he was like that.

He covered up, saying it was a minor skin infection and that it was nothing serious. But when he wanted to make love to me, I insisted that he must used condom. He told me that he didn’t like using condom.

However, when I insisted, he agreed but he never used it. He removed it while entering into me. We did it several times that night. After few weeks, I became pregnant for him. When I told him, I was pregnant, he advised me to abort the baby. But I refused, insisting on keeping the baby.

He later warned me that if insisted, I would have myself to blame in future. I never knew what he meant until I was diagnosed HIV positive. He also infected other ladies in the church before he died.”

On being an awareness advocate for HIV/Aids: “I was driven by the need to help other carriers of the HIV/AIDS virus. This is because most AIDS patients are brought to the hospital when they are almost dead. Victims find it difficult to undergo medical test to determine their HIV/AIDS status.

I realised when people get to know about their HIV status at the early stages and they are put on medication, they wouldn’t die. They would live their normal lives. So, I decided to use myself as an example. That was what motivated me to begin the campaign against HIV/AIDS virus.”

On her husband: “Before we got married, my husband was educated about the deadly disease. But he is also a carrier of the disease. At the moment, medically both of us are negative to HIV virus. This is because we have been put on medication for long.

But that does not mean we should stop taking our medication. Even though we test negative now, we keep taking our medication. We had one child together who did not test positive to HIV because of the medication.”

On life after contracting HIV: “That’s not the end of the world for any carrier of the HIV/AIDS virus. There is life after contacting the deadly disease. The HIV virus can be found in the semen in the man, and not in the sperm because the sperm is what goes to form a baby. It doesn’t carry the HIV virus, but the semen is what contains the HIV virus.

So, HIV positive man who is on medication can share sexual activity with an HIV negative woman, and they both can produce an HIV negative baby. You can see that there is life after contacting the HIV virus.

HIV positive man can marry an HIV negative woman, and they can still make babies without him infecting the wife or the baby, just as an HIV positive woman can also marry an HIV negative man. There are a lot of couple today who wouldn’t come out to share their stories, but who are living with HIV/AIDS virus. They are keeping the secret to themselves.”

On married life: “Marriage for me was normal but they say, in every marriage there are challenges. Things have happened in the past which I wouldn’t want to talk about here. Talking about the stigma, there was one day, my seven-year old son came from school and told me to stop that HIV thing that I am doing. According to him, his friends said, they wouldn’t play with him because his mum is HIV positive. There are challenges but life must go on.”

1. T-girl

August 16, 2014 at 7:35 am

What a brave woman. Her actions are very commendable. May God strengthen her

• barbie

August 16, 2014 at 9:26 am

Amen.

2. Missssmisty

August 16, 2014 at 7:57 am

May God continue to bless you for your honesty and bravery

3. bruno

August 16, 2014 at 7:58 am

Look HIV is not as deadly as it used to be, if you take your pill,exercise, eat healthy and work well with your doctor ur viral load can be undetectable,tho if ur hiv positive, I advice you not to go around shouting it cause nigerians are backward and very afraid of many things, nigerians love to stigmatise anything different, I commend her tho.

4. NennyD

August 16, 2014 at 9:06 am

she is really a brave woman. Again people with deadly ailments should stop using it against the innocent people. From her case, she is a victim of this situation. The guy had it in mind to destroy many lives. I wonder if this is the way of repentance for HIM. God have mercy

5. arit asuquo

August 16, 2014 at 11:36 am

God bless u for sharing,more grace

6. pelly

August 16, 2014 at 12:00 pm

this lady is strong. every young lady must be aware of this, no sex till marriage, even if the proposal is from your pastor. i pray for more grace for this beautiful lady.

• Ona

August 16, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Oh please! Spare me that sanctimonious BS! I have heard of countless women who contracted hiv from their husbands (google!). …including my aunt who was virgin before marriage. Sex before marriage kor….like that guarantees anything.

As a matter of fact, most men who purposely go out scouting for virginal babes are the ones who end up cheating the most in marriages….i have seen in many times, so don’t think that by being virginal or untapped, ur ass is guaranteed a happy, disease-free marriage. Its all about the kind of person u married.

• Eyo

August 17, 2014 at 5:05 am

That is why its not wise to jump into bed with someone who you do not know his or her status without using condom

• amebo

August 17, 2014 at 12:57 pm

you sound bitter.

7. Tosin

August 16, 2014 at 1:19 pm

All these stupid no-condom men – there ought to be a law. Flog them. Rubbish.

8. pat

August 16, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Easy for her to say she is a women, finding a man is easy, try being a man finding a women it’s impossible 6 years alone and I’m only 24 *sigh*

9. papermoon

August 16, 2014 at 3:18 pm

u ar brave and ur story teaches me that God is good and his mercies endures forever. may he continue to favour and strengthen u so u can continue to inspire us. bless u.

10. Iris

August 16, 2014 at 3:49 pm

I’m glad she’s found strength, but you see how these people can be. That morrasucking man was probably praying the loudest in “tongues” at church during the day, and then he was taking different women home – all church goers – at night and knowingly infecting them. It is such people that have damaged the image of Christianity. They’ll be up to no good at night but judge the loudest in the morning – God help you if you get pregnant and unmarried. They’ll be clucking their tongues like they’ve never had sex. Unfortunately, these “Christians” are the loudest ones and end up being the ones non-Christians associate with Christianity.

11. @edDREAMZ

August 16, 2014 at 4:56 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    May the blessings of the lord always remain with yu….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

12. BEAUTIFULNBLESSED

August 16, 2014 at 5:14 pm

CONTINUE BEING STRONG. THERE ARE WORSE ILLNESSES THAT HAVE MATERIALISED TODAY. THANK U FOR SHARING. GOD BLESS YOU.

13. fleur

August 16, 2014 at 7:18 pm

I am perturbed at this story. First I must praise her courage to share her experience, as much as it makes her look like someone with very poor judgment and lack of love of self at some point in time in her life. That said, Why would someone present with skin diseases and you notice and he tells you he has some minor derm infection and you still open your legs? Why would he remove the condom and you dont fight him off or refuse? What did he offer you that could have thrown all your judgment to the wind? If he infected other people in the church, that means he was a known lay. Why would you sleep with a known lay? If not for HIV what about chlamydia, herpes and others? I hope you educate our young ladies about the mindset that got you there. Mindset is everything and they need to know the thought process that caused you to be in this position. I thank you for sharing your story anyway

14. kweenliz

August 16, 2014 at 7:34 pm

First thing on Monday morning am going for HIV test! am so inspire by her story nothing to be scared of

15. Bella

August 16, 2014 at 11:01 pm

Wooow am lost of words…i thought if u are affected by hiv Ur Life is eneded u cant settle down n not talking of beening married…but my dear it will take a Strong and God fearing person to go ahead to settle down with somone How is affected by hiv ….i pary very hard for my lil sis to get a long Life n good man to married..She Was raped at school n later found out that She has been affected…is not easy for us She sometime want to kill her self ….now that I found out that all hope is not lost i will fight for her happeness…thank u bellaniaja for sharing this…u guys Just save my Family…

16. I go dey laff

August 16, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Ds na hiv pple go just get die 4 hospital as dey hear d result.
    , @ least pple go change bcos of u

17. From Cambridgeshire

August 17, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Thanks for sharing this. I believe her story, as one of my close friend was diagnozed 14 years ago. She got engaged to the only guy she’s ever been with. They were planning to get married, then she got pregnant. Screening for infectious diseases in pregnant women is routine in the States – so the healthcare workers can ensure the baby is adequately protected. I remember when she told me….so sad. So the guy was probably sleeping around. Anyway, my friend is doing great 14 years later, and her son a healthy teenager. One of the things she was advised not to do was breastfeed the baby – to avoid infection.

Please everyone needs to get tested regularly if you know you”re sexually active. Married women get tested regularly even if your husband is a pastor – you’d be surprised what some pastors get up to. Guys get tested cos you don’t know what your wifey or girlfriend has been up to.

mormusicgroup.blogspot.co.uk

18. Grown Woman

August 18, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Such a brave woman, this disease is really deadly and people still busy being side chicks number 4.Lord help us all.

19. sum1special

August 19, 2014 at 9:55 am

She was very careless in the past though.

20. yourstrulyblogposts.blogspot.com

August 19, 2014 at 11:38 am

What a courageous woman you are! Thanks for letting God use you to inspire people!

21. iba

September 8, 2014 at 10:30 pm

I want to sleep with you for the first time ever and i see rash all over your body and i still commot dress bring condom come outside? Which kind konji be that?

Uhmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn its well oh. Anyways thanks for sharing your story madam . You are a very very brave and selfless woman…