News

President of Nigeria Medical Association Kayode Obembe Resigns

BellaNaija.com

Kayode Obembe Bella Naija

The national president of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA), Dr. Kayode Obembe, has resigned.

He resigned as a result of the controversy that arose over whether or not the doctors’ strike had been called off, Punch reports.

Obembe issued a statement on Thursday that the strike had been suspended. However, other officers in the association reportedly challenged his declaration, insisting that the strike would continue.

Reacting to the controversy, he turned in his resignation letter. An excerpt of the letter states:

“…Since upon my integrity and honour, I cannot continue to drive the doctrine that ‘strike continues,’ I hereby tender my letter of resignation as NMA president…”

Photo Credit: Punch

1. sean

August 9, 2014 at 8:38 pm

these are leaders

2. ogo

August 9, 2014 at 8:49 pm

I respect you sir.

3. I go dey laff

August 9, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Wetin b ds doctors problem I hop say dey don bath wt salt and water 2day.

4. tunmi

August 9, 2014 at 10:22 pm

I absolutely respect you Dr. Obembe

5. Kili

August 9, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Very noble.

6. Nelly Udoh

August 10, 2014 at 8:35 am

Brave leader

7. del

August 10, 2014 at 1:50 pm

The whole strike spells greed., some propfessions are not suppose to go on stirke becos the provide essential services.

• Pissed Medico

August 10, 2014 at 5:19 pm

The whole strike spells greed??!!!!! Are you a doctor? Did you spend over 10 years of your life in school??? Have you sacrificed your time, relationships and money for others???… If not then I advice you don’t speak on matters you know “nothing” about.
      We don’t mind the work,we don’t mind the sacrifice but we’ve sat down wayyy too long and watched these men insult our profession, our hard work, our sweat, our tears.. There will be casualties yes, but if we don’t do it, no one will and there will be generations upon generations of Nigerian doctors sacrificing their lives, hard work, families for basically nothing in return. If we didn’t wanna get paid for our work we’d have become missionaries :). Medicine is service to humanity, its also what we use to put food on the table. Basically all I’m saying is that if you haven’t worn the shoes and known where it hurts please sit down and don’t talk trash about greed!

• flo

August 11, 2014 at 11:00 am

so… we have to pay for your 6 years of “sacrifice” for the rest of our lives???!! u dont hear engineers and architects closing down all buildings and roads cos they went to school for 5 years and more! almighty doctors! continue with the strike and you’l see how we will adapt with you. Trust me,Nigerians are good at that. Private hospitals run by non medics, private labs and pharmacies are making sooooo much money from this. Be there carrying last!

• Pissed Medico

August 10, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Also.. You are greedy too. What happend to all the private hospitals? Cos you don’t wanna pay money for the real unsubsidized cost of health ba? #kmt #hypocrite #novexmeabeg #greedymyauntflo

• nnek

August 10, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Doctor for your information, I have spent 12 years in university and I am a teacher by profession! I dont earn as much as an average doctor. Life can be very hard and frustrating in fact it seems so unfair anytime I look at the amount of work I do for my students compared with what I earn. But you know what? I can’t imagine leaving my students at home indefinitely during their SSCE or WAEC or NECO exams because I feel my salary and allowances need to be increased ( which is my right). Because I know that their exams are so crucial to them succeeding and the exam dates will not be moved, I will look at them from a humane point of view, go back to work and do what my right conscience tells me to do. This is what everyone in Nigeria is asking you doctors to do now, there is Ebola in the country creeping in so forcefully, we all need to put aside our differences and work together.

• MissP

August 10, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Unless you’re in the medical profession and understand the sacrifice they make daily, please do not talk about greed! Ask any doctor what their ‘hazard allowance” is especially the LUTH doctors…they get paid a pittance to risk their lives and expose their families to the danger of their profession.

Yes, they took an oath,but we cannot ask them to work so hard without certain minimum essentials to help them do their job and to do it without unnecessary dangerous exposure!

Understand what the strike is about before you judge. Here is a crazy idea…actually ASK what the strike is about!

• Ozi

August 10, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Nigerian Doctors are greedy hypocrites who feel entitled to every gravy in the health sector……….oya vex and kill yourself. MUGU!!!!

• Changing Faces

August 11, 2014 at 12:12 am

@nnek Abeg go siddon. If teachers go on strike, sit there and be loving your students! All you cursing doctors, they need volunteers for this Ebola war, you must not be a doctor to help. Why not go and sign up to help since you are all so patriotic? Dr’s hazard pay is 5k, not enough for lunch for most of you here chatting rubbish!

• pissed medico

August 11, 2014 at 6:16 am

-___- in the end, you’ll never understand how it feels till you’re standing in someones shoes.
      And I pray that you never experience what its like to work so hard, risk your life and invest your time into something and then never get what you truly deserve because a man somewhere ate the money and the whole nation is calling you greedy for refusing to work for less than you deserve.
      I pray you never have to watch your colleagues die from exposure to deadly diseases while trying to help others and they get 5’k for their troubles.
      I pray you never experience the pain of working tirelessly day/night to save lives (most of which can’t be saved because there is no money or equipment) and then have those same people spit in your face and call you greedy cos you asked for what you truly deserve from a government whom they ‘know’ have a reputation for embezzlement and fraud.
      I pray you never experience such cos its the most painful feeling in the world. This man Is no leader, and if u look close enough you’ll see that an amount has been deposited in an account somewhere ‘coincidentally’ at the same time of his ‘honourable’ resignation. I’m loosing hope in Nigeria every day :(.. Me? Greedy? It hurts I won’t lie.

• chi-chi

August 11, 2014 at 6:28 am

Uzo, the truth is also bitter. You’re just saying what you’re saying because peoples lives are involved.. I’m not saying that lives don’t matter! But I’m sure you’ve never even ‘honestly” looked at their demands, they have a point. I won’t work for years and get a masters degree and yet get paid the same thing as a fresh graduate. I’d rather leave, its similar to what they are fighting for: getting paid what they deserve, that’s not greed, its a human right.. Its just cos they’re doctors so everyone is screaming foul..Private hospitals are still open so healthcare is still availabe.

8. uzo

August 10, 2014 at 7:09 pm

@pissed Medico the truth is bitter. This strike is about selfish reasons.

9. jennietobbie

August 10, 2014 at 9:34 pm

You have to stand in YOUR truth even if you’re the only one standing.
    My kind of man.

10. Luchi

August 10, 2014 at 11:45 pm

We Nigeria really don’t know where to direct our frustrations. Should these doctors be called greedy or the politicians and administrators who seat at the top and share money for doing virtually nothing. My friend is paid 5000 naira as hazard allowance. And you want her to come out and fight Ebola, while you sit at home and your work without hazard protecting your household. Some of their points make sense and those ones should be addressed.

11. Zion

August 13, 2014 at 1:00 pm

hmmm the end will justify the means…