News

Redeemer’s University Student Arraigned for Killing Father

BellaNaija.com

Tolani Ajayi - August 2014 - BellaNaija.com 01
Tolani Ajayi, the 21 year old student from Redeemer’s University, Ogun state, who murdered his father, has been arraigned before a Chief Magistrate’s Court in Owode Egba, Obafemi Owode Local Government Area.

He was arraigned on one count murder.

In July, the 300 level History and International Relations student of the tertiary institution, stabbed his father to death with a knife and later butchered him with a cutlass

“My father went to the kitchen and got a stick (wooden spoon) which he used on me repeatedly and I tried to defend myself. Then, he bit me on the shoulder and I got angry.

I initially used a normal small kitchen knife. Later, I used cutlass to attack him.” he said at the time.

Tolani has been remanded in custody pending the advice from the Director Public Prosecutions. The case has been adjourned till the 10th of October 2014.

1. Claire

August 6, 2014 at 8:17 am

awwww! My heart truely goes out to him! I hope and pray he forgives himself first and his family stand by him. Difficult but not impossible.

• e-bukun

August 6, 2014 at 2:58 pm

I understand what you mean, and honestly I can’t help but sympathize with him either. I really believe something in him snapped, and he justified every stab or hack with all the years of domestic abuse he faced. Now before the rest of you BN readers pounce on me with your “it’s our culture” or “other people that go through the same thing nko”…well some go through unscathed, but not all are lucky. Some people become victims of their upbringing and become traumatized by it.

I can’t speak for the father (rest his soul), but I won’t be surprised if he somehow emasculated his son, and this young man fantasized revenge. Maybe he even transferred his anger at his father on other people, i’d be curious about his relationship with other people. Point is, life is not black and white. If we were all condemned for all the sins we committed, no matter how egregious, what hope would we have.

I do hope he gets forgiveness from his family. I know God will forgive him if He asks. But more importantly, I think he needs some psychological therapy.

2. 4tunechuks

August 6, 2014 at 8:53 am

this guy went damn too far…He must face the law squarely…

• Omo1

August 6, 2014 at 10:48 am

Your heart goes out to him? Mine did not! It only went to the poor old man he butchered, his mother whom by his own hands he has turned a widow, and his siblings whom he has left fatherless.

There is no such remorse from this guy, I followed up his interrogations on the news and it seemed like it was some plan he had hatched up. If the action was spontaneous he would have stopped with the use of a kitchen knife, realising what he had done, yet he went further to butcher with a cutlass???? Oh may he rot facing the consequence of his action.

• Omo1

August 6, 2014 at 10:48 am

Comment in response to Claire

3. anonymous

August 6, 2014 at 10:07 am

It is clear and glaring that this boy is guilty. Why the adjournment of the case again. Just declare the verdict and get it over with.

4. Claire

August 6, 2014 at 2:33 pm

it is well…..

5. sunday ajayi omoyajowo

August 13, 2014 at 2:12 pm

hmn!Tola and to others; when does it becomes an abomination for our parent (father and mother-older ones inclusive ) to correct us when we are wrong culture apart? l have a Teacher in my primary schl.days (Mr Oje from ikogosi Ekiti) he forced me with cain to know calculation subjects,l taught he hates me.whenever l scored 70% he will beat nonsense out of me,l lnformed my parent to change my schl. just because of Mr Oje-they said no he loves me.l was forced to read more when others are playing just to avoid his cain.Hmn,today lm searching seriously for mr Oje to pay him back,he buit me and always said to me that what he needs is 90% not 70%.l never taught of taken his life.Excuse me pls.does it means our parents who jointly paid the price of painful birth and invested much on us to give us education should be afraid to correct us when we are erred?Somebody help me,are we trained to insult,retaliate (defend),beat,slap,or abuse our parents when they rebuke us?Tolani would you be happy if you slap your child in future and he or she slap you back?Pls.answer my question ,you mean your dad.provoked you and you passed jurdgement on him-your father-so when our dons,President,Governors,Chairmen,Pastors (leaders) and parent provoke us the next thing is to snab and bucher them? it does not what it to have children then.whenever l corrects my dogs it doesn’t fight back talkless sensible human being.Tola,are you sure you are not a cultist?Help me pls.how convinient is it for Tola Ajayi to SNAD and CUT HIS OWN BLOOD FATHER LIKE TURKEY ready for sales? This is madness.So Bible is very correct when it encourages to train our child the way he should go…when he grows he will not depart from it.Reasons why l zero my mind on boarding school for my children.Tola ask for forgivesness God and the enteir world,God will forgive but men may not forget,especially your dad ageing mother and the family who depend on your dad for surviver.What a leson for others and TOLANI AJAYI.