News

Rotimi Amaechi: 80% of People Fighting Me are those I gave Billions of Naira

Governor Rotimi Amaechi - December 2013 - BellaNaija
Rotimi Amaechi, the Governor of Rivers State, on Wednesday explained why he was the target of attacks from some politicians within and outside the state.

He said this at a meet-the-people tour of communities in Obio/Akpor Local Government area of the state.

“Most of the people opposed to me are in the rank of those I assisted one way or another, some by contract awards but they failed to deliver”, he said according to Vanguard.

He also added that;

“If you check Obio/Akpor council, you will see how many persons that have grown through me.

Almost 80 per cent of those fighting me today are people who I have given billions of naira in contracts and they have put the money in their pockets, they did not deliver and they claim they are Ikwerre people.

I have said that the road at Eneka was given to an Obio/Akpor son. The internal road at Rumuolumeni was given to a Rumuolumeni son. They gave it to one of Obio/Akpor’s sons to do. They have not done it. They have no fear, no shame.

You know, the worst money to steal is the money belonging to your people. For me, go and check Ubima Road, as an ordinary Special Assistant to Chief Rufus George, the money he brought, we did the Ubima Road and when I became Speaker, I got Dr. Peter Odili to do the road and the road lasted until I became governor.

I did not touch Ubima money. I did not say ‘I want to be a big man, contractor, give me N40 million first’. The first road to Ubima was N40 million, one kobo I did not see.

All the roads in Rumuepirikom(community of Nyesom Wike) were done by this administration. I gave the contracts to your son and paid hundred per cent. But almost all the roads there have gone bad and they are not major traffic route. It is because of greed.

As an Ikwerre man, what else can I do? Please tell me what else do you want me to do that I have not done? I just did not do the road, I gave it to Ikwerre people to do. If you are not a good contractor, you look for a good contractor to do for you, is it not? Now, you are not a good contractor, you don’t want to hire a good contractor, you just buy one pay loader and you begin to scratch the ground.”

1. Me2me

August 28, 2014 at 2:19 am

Taaaa mechie gi Onu. Who sent you, you stole from them and gave them back and you proudly say you gave them billions of naira… What did you have before politics. Okoko di ka GI. The house should remove this useless immunity clause, so we can handle these thieves properly.

2. bruno

August 28, 2014 at 2:29 am

See what a governor is coming out to say, admitting to fraud,misuse of power, etc, you are very lucky nigeria is a useless country, if it was america,u will be held accountable for what you said. (Read the second paragraph)

• Mimi

August 28, 2014 at 8:53 am

It will be great if we can be patient enough to read articles in full before jumping to conclusion.

Now back to the issue at hand. 1st he did not admit fraud. What he did was pay the contractor 100% payment before at the beginning of the contract. Contract payments are usually made when milestones are reached, but cash flow and accessible credit is very important for a contractor. Problem with giving the contract to people indigenous companies is they are probably small, hence don’t have access to the kind of credit needed to complete the project. Amaechi eliminated this problem for them by paying 100% upfront, because he wanted the work done and the state was solvent ( By the way this is hardly ever done).

In a way he put misplaced trust in them, again thinking they would want development for their people, but obviously greed won. What is highlighted is the problem with Nigeria. The tribe and religion of the person does not matter, what matters is that can they do the job and will they do it.

I am Nigerian.

• me2me

August 28, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Yawns, For every 100% he got 20%, best believe that. It is an irresponsible act to use public funds carelessly. How do you give contracts to people who are not qualified, just because you know them. Even if he wanted to aid them, 60% should have done it, they should have gone to raise the rest of the 40%, either through bank loan or something. That’s how its done.

This is not the first time he is admitting to fraud directly or indirectly. As he said months back, they steal because we let them get away with it

• bruno

August 28, 2014 at 2:02 pm

@me2me thank you for copying and pasting my comment, how original of u.

3. NaijaPikin

August 28, 2014 at 2:50 am

Only in naija can someone come out and speak so recklessly without repacautions.

See him talking about he gave this and that. Did you follow due process in giving out these contracts? Why did you authorize payments for work not done/not done well?

Mr. Man go and sit down and stop the self righteousness cos u no holy pass.

• Mimi

August 28, 2014 at 9:37 am

If he had probably followed due process that a private company will follow the contracts would not have been awarded to indigenes of the local government or the state. If he did not do what he did the comments they will make will probably will be: he favours one person group over another, He only let one group of people come up. He has interest in the companies that did the project. His reasoning is the same with the one Nigeria uses when picking candidates for ministerial positions, and when choosing people for the executive.

All I think is has shown is how flawed that thought process is, and high-lighted that a persons worth and the way they react or respond is not determined by where they are from.

4. strawberry

August 28, 2014 at 2:51 am

Politics z dirty game. It z d survivor of d fittest.

5. Beeee

August 28, 2014 at 3:39 am

He gave billions of naira from where? His personal bank account? Abeg this man should stop with the hypocrisy. If you like move from PDP to APC to XYZ, all of you are the same. Now because things are not going your way you want to behave like one quiet reverend father…mschewwwwwwwwww. Where is the legally documented paperwork stating that these were legal contracts that followed due process? Abi was he thinking they would support him just because he gave them money?

6. Gorgeous

August 28, 2014 at 3:50 am

First question is was it your billions to give. See how you are talking like it was your inheritance to give out. What an incriminating statement. These politicians have gotten so comfortable that they talk so carelessly

7. ijebu boy

August 28, 2014 at 5:23 am

so he thinks it is okay to say out loud that he “helped” people by “dashing” then contracts they weren’t qualified to do in the first place? and then paid them and demanded no accountability? it was not written into said “contract” that if the work is not completed by a certain date, a refund (and possibly restitution) is required? WOW

8. faith

August 28, 2014 at 7:45 am

This man should n arrested…EFCC pls take note!!!

9. Noms

August 28, 2014 at 8:20 am

You awarded contracts to a contractors with nor credibility.
    You paid 100% for the job (thought there was something called mobilization fee), even when you knew most government contracts are exaggerated.
    Then you cry foul that you gave them billions(the people’s) money.
    Kudos, Sir. Nice 1.
    Y shouldn’t they fight you with the money you gave them? When it was obvious you were trying to appease them instead of delivering infrastructure to the people.
    Pluzzzzz, I don’t know what you tend to achieve with this statement, but i’m not falling for it.
    Good enough, you awarded contractors to -shuunzz of the soil- but you should have done your background checks. You come here to say they just scratched the ground.
    What a good governor you are.

10. kk

August 28, 2014 at 8:23 am

smh @ Governor Amechi..such reckless comments.. Which way Nigeria? Which way?

11. Tee

August 28, 2014 at 9:21 am

So pathetic look at what nigeria has become – then someone will ask me to move back – to where??? For this??

12. queenBee

August 28, 2014 at 9:54 am

Amaechi better go and pay all those scholarship students abroad that you are owing. My cousin said you haven’t paid them for a couple of months now. Abeg don’t kill them in the name of sending them abroad biko!!

13. Omo1

August 28, 2014 at 10:02 am

This Rogue! See what a mess Rivers State is, he should be thinking more of putting things in shape. That state is now a big mess

14. lorlor

August 28, 2014 at 10:05 am

My dear gov u gave dose contract wen d Going was good, u never took out time to think if dose u gave dose contracts to actually qualified to handle such contact. I pity u shah

15. Paul

August 28, 2014 at 10:31 am

…Let’s look at it: You gave me a contract and I took the complete money without doing the job and you refused to report to anybody or arrest me. .You were happy with me until now..kai..Amaechi just listen to yourself

16. Emerald-Fashion Blog (plus-size fashion)

August 28, 2014 at 10:58 am

AMAECHI IS ONLY A FRUSTRATED POLITICIAN…. HE IS NOW THINKING, “WHERE DO I BELONG NOW”

17. bruno

August 28, 2014 at 11:51 am

@mimi can u kindly shut up, he gave money to the wrong people to do a job, that’s misuse of public funds. Olodo. That’s a crime, People like you @mimi would ruin this country the more.

18. son

August 28, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Nigerians. The state money gets assigned for several contracts required by the state, Amaechi never said he gave his personal money. If you are wise you would know that money gets approved for infrastructure in all the states. However, the contracts do get assigned to different companies and these companies present mandates a who represent them.
    If you have no idea what goes on with infrastructure, i suggest you broaden your knowledge before you start putting words in peoples mouths. If he assigned jobs to indigenes of the states and nothing happened the federal government will take some time approving more funds for the same project. Now, which one of you here can say the haven’t added a profit to whatever they sell to consumers, I’m sure you wouldn’t be able to afford that device you’re using to comment. Remove the forest in your eyes before you remove the log in your brothers.

• bruno

August 29, 2014 at 2:23 am

@son, u have said nothing, he (the governor) said he gave money to the wrong people to do a job and they stole the money,why did he waste the money, that’s misuse of public fund. So what are u saying, pls shut up. Who is in charge of state money, who assigns contracts, is it not the governor? He has implicated himself. Olodo oshi we are not talking about personal money, who cares what he does with personal money, we are talking about public funds given to the wrong people. He signed the contract handed out the money, didn’t supervise the jobs etc. U are a very stupid person @son, if u don’t like me just leave an insult instead of writing gibberish.

19. PD Young Billionaire

August 28, 2014 at 11:13 pm

But i don’t understand why people will collect money to execute a contract and not deliver as expected.Some Nigerians are just too greedy.That’s the reason the country is not moving forward.GREED!!Thank God people don’t take money with them when they die.