Style

BN Beauty: Fact or Not? 3 Myths You should Know about Locs + Styling Tips

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

With every hair type or look there is a different story. Whether your’e rocking bantu knots, locs, a skin cut or extensions – every hair type has its fair share of myths and truths.

Today, Locks n’ Chops Senior Stylist Thando Kafele is helping clear some of those uncertainties up when it comes to locs with Essence.com.

Myths 1. People who have Locs don’t shampoo their hair.

This isn’t true. Every hair type shampoos their hair and this is no different for men and women with locs.

2. Locs are not versatile.

According to Thando, there is yet to a be a limit for styling locs. They can be twisted, braided, curled up and more.

3. That Locs are not professional enough for the work place.

With the dawn of the new-age naturalista, there were so many debates about how the natural hair would fit into the accepted employee appearance at the workplace. We even heard stories of men and women loosing out on job interviews based on their decision to adorn locs.

Thando believes that instead of seeing your locs as a barrier, you should see it as a plus. With proper styling and grooming, your locs could not only feel more confident, but leave a lasting impression. We couldn’t agree more.

Watch Myths about Locs with Essence - Bellanaija - September2014006 We also came across a great tutorial for Locs for your special day. Check it out. Photo & Video Credit: Essence.com | Tyler Olson/Dreamstime

1. Adachukwu Onwudiwe

September 2, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Hmm i agree with no 3.Am rocking a mini loc on my not so TWA.and yesterday someone pointed out it wasn’t suitable for a workplace.I had to sit down for an hour to decolonise his mentality.By the time I was through with him he couldn’t look me in the eye.

2. Jo

September 2, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Still looks like crazy hair

3. didabliz

September 2, 2014 at 4:42 pm

locs rock; home, work, school wherever! Been rocking mine for 7 yrs n still counting

4. teekay

September 2, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Pls I ve always wanted to do dreads wiv it’s weavon but I dnt know where they do a very nice one, any advice of any salon pls?

• troll 101

September 2, 2014 at 6:48 pm

I just did mine yesterday by myself and all I can say is don’t try it. My head hurts like hell. But if yu still want to do it, yu can check YouTube for a tutorial

5. Natty Dread

September 2, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Add me on facebook and u will see how locs looks like, i have been wearing mine for 8 years now and it is totally different from locs u see everyday!…George Mel Ifeanyi is my facebook name. I will direct u on how to loc ur dread!

6. homeworthinteriors.blogspot.com

September 3, 2014 at 4:14 pm

@Teekay, if u r in Lagos, go to Onidiri Signature @ 12 Ebun Street, Yaba. Its off Yaba Tech. you can also reach her on 08080801119.

• yassbeetch

September 3, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Does she have a fb page with pics of her work?

7. iba

September 3, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Anything locs count me in