Style

Oreka Godis, Wana Udobang & Veronica Ebie-Odeka Sit with Glory Edozien to Discuss ‘Body Image Issues’ | Watch

Millions of people across the world suffer from body image issues. Either as a result of childhood bullying, or adult expectations of what they should look like, they’re forced to live with the insecurities that come with perfection… or the quest for it.

On the most recent episode of The Inspire Series with Glory Edozien, three women sit with her to talk about their struggles with their bodies and how they  have coped.  Women in media, Wana Udobang and Oreka Godis, along with celebrity stylist, Veronica Obie-Odeka share their experiences. We hope you are inspired and encouraged after watching this.

inspire-32

1. UZOAMAKA

September 23, 2014 at 12:15 pm

I like this, their struggles with their bodies and how they have coped is good.
    Let’s talk more about the ways forward, how can we do more than cope? because I want to thrive!!!

2. Observer

September 23, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Veronica Ebie ODEKA…Please take note

3. ChelizRuby.

September 23, 2014 at 12:45 pm

come lets get fit together. theshapecube.blogspot.com

4. JT

September 23, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Wana Wana, you go gurrl!!! Brains for daysss – you are the realest of them all! I love you Ma!

• nene

September 24, 2014 at 9:33 am

wana is so beautiful. what a confident, intellectual,and stunning woman! i’m a huge fan!

5. JT

September 23, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Hmmm…. Veronica, no comment. Glory, your show rocks!! Keep up the good work. Thanks for bringing great media content to us..)

6. Que

September 23, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Well I guess its all been said… Oreka and I are certainly kindred spirits on this matter…. I grew up d same way, sans cable tv, with books and encyclopedias, and I didnt even like barbie (well except to practise plaiting hair)… and I hardly noticed my body till late sec school when I gained weight after a loooong holiday…. but being a tomboy, n very very active, I didnt care sef, cos my body NEVER held me back….. and it hasnt till this day…whether as a teenage size 16 or a size 10-12now… of course I was called all d names, but bring short skirt or shorts, and na me go first jump go carry am…. in fact its still friends who suggested that I like dressing sexy n have tried to get me to tone down (which life generally makes happen anyways)…. but still, in all my short/curvy/fine faced/-k-legedness…. my confidence level is something people who have met me aren’t in doubt of…. (what causes me self doubt at all, is if I feel my work isn’t up to par, but this is slowly n surely changing as I gain understanding of why I do what I do, and can express it better)…. A good no of my friends are 5ft 8 to 6ft 1, size 8/10/12… I’m talking ladies….and beautiful….but they all gat nothing on my carriage…. if you see beauty in people, and tell them, you wil see beauty in yourself….

Thanks also to parents who while urging us to be fit, showed that the most important thing in life will be the legacy we leave behind….and so we had to develop all round…body, mind, spirit, soul, talents …everything…. in fact in my household, woman no different from man…. if my brothers had to bring the good grades, I was equally challenged…. so i hardly had time to remember that I was female when making decisions, and as such the ‘female body’palaver was generally never ingrained in me like that…. life na jeje abeg!

7. Nana Aisha

September 23, 2014 at 2:48 pm

No i get it.. Thank youuuuuu Gloria, Wana, Oreka & Veronica.

8. Nana Aisha

September 23, 2014 at 2:49 pm

*Now

9. Mademoiselle

September 23, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Absolutely loved this! Felt like I was talking (without) talking to my girlfriends. Loved the point Wana made about how aspirations have moved from who we look up to eg career-wise, to who we wish to look like. I was guilty on so many points… Felt good to know I’m not the only one who stays away from events cause I need my hair to grow for a wax. Haha!

• nene

September 24, 2014 at 9:14 am

unfortunately, the world has become more superficial and it’s only going to get worse. and women are usually judged more than men. people will treat a fat or ugly man better than a fat or ugly woman. in nigeria, you’ll meet people who’ll tell you that an ugly light skinned woman/man is beautiful just because of their complexion. in some nigerian tribes/cultures, there is a preference for lighter skin. smh. i always see comments on nigerian blogs where girls/women leave comments (i can’t remember what she said word for word, but it always goes something like this:
      “why is it that all the light skinned/mixed race girls are rich? what are bad girl doing better? i am still a virgin in my 30s, no husband or boyfriend, and i am a good girl. i’m seriously thinking of bleaching my skin so i can get a sugar daddy or rich boyfriend, i will have plastic surgery to make my breasts big, and hopefully i will be able to get someone to love me and marry me or at least be rich”.
      i always shake my head after reading these comments, to think that girls/women feel this way. but that’s what the world has come to. In the western world, there’s more pressure but people are not as judgemental as those in nigeria.

10. Oyaga

September 23, 2014 at 5:43 pm

This was a really really really good and much need video in this time, Girls are slowly turning into something else that isn’t human because of how they feel they should look. I see average sized girls pulling at their skin and crying about how they need to lose weight… i think its driving them crazy.
    So, having this honest talk, with intelligent, confident and real women like wana wana and oreka is really a good sound at this time. Hopefully, they will watch and be inspired to love who they are, and just work toward a healthy lifestyle and not just on being skinny… (thank you Oreka for telling your mom’s story)

Haven said all of that, please who brought that Veronica specie to this show? she’s ill fitted for it, talked out of point, sounded rather shallow and superficial and will obviously kill herself than add any more flesh to what she has now. She shouldn’t be here. And whatsup with her fluctuating accents? mschwww. I have a ton more to say about her, but lemme shut up before BN decides not to post my comment.

• Sotrue

September 23, 2014 at 6:45 pm

I agree with you oooo… Madam Vero did not belong there at all. *bigger hiss* When brains with the likes of Oreka, Wana & Glory are commencing please resist from inviting shallow walking fake accent chics like Vero! How dare you say your sister looked better after she wore spanx?! You should say she looked just as good and not demoralize her with such silly cmmts. I don’t care if you are in the so called “fashion industry.” Go away!

11. looters

September 23, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Wana Udobang is a really intelligent lady

12. AVID BLOG READER

September 23, 2014 at 6:04 pm

This is a very timely issue. Bottom line is we have been inundated with subliminal messages that a svelte stature is better. This has greatly affected the way we see ourselves…both male and female. The key is to love yourself and not care what others think about you. No matter what; people will always talk. The only people I am really worried about are young kids. We need to reiterate to them that they are perfect the way they are. We have to break the circle of self obsession!

Having said that obesity is a disease that should be curbed. We should imbibe a healthy lifestyle not for vanity sake but for their over all good health.

13. IjeUSA

September 23, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Great job Glory and the ladies! Excellent conversation:)

14. Alex

September 23, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Honestly when I saw Oreka’s name I was like what? No way she’ll have these issues. But I guess everyone deals with something. I think the best thing is loving your self and knowing that there’s more to life.besides growing old is inevitable and if all we held onto is our body image it will be a disappointment. Know yourself, Love yourself, inspire and do something to help others. Even in the midst of the struggles life will be worthwhile

15. rita

September 23, 2014 at 7:34 pm

love the fact that this body image was talked about. the lady in black and white have deeper issues lmfao!!

16. nene

September 24, 2014 at 9:26 am

i think you guys are a bit to harsh with veronica, especially with the accent. oreka has an american accent even if she schooled and lived in england for a short while. veronica lived in america for a long time and has an american accent. everyone has different experiences with their body image. for someone who used to be skinny, veronica obviously isn’t used to being bigger and all the women on this show have revealed a few of their innermost issues. i’m sure there are women out there with the same mindset as veronica, and they’ll learn from this show.

17. Oyaga

September 24, 2014 at 12:23 pm

@nene i do not think Oreka has any foreign accent as such, she just speaks really well and pronounces her words properly. Vero Vero on the other hand get comma…. no need beating around the bush abeg, she wasn’t fit for this topic or show… did you hear when she was explaining why skinny models are used for fashion shows? after her silly explanation, she now said, so its not because they look better in the clothes, WHICH THEY DO! but, blah blah blah haaaa! who with a brain says that with the topic of discussion being body images and how to love your body?

• Echo

September 24, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Thank you jare! You echoed my sentiments precisely. Who with a Brain says that?!?! hian! And yes, Oreka speaks well… no forceful English or American accent. Just good ole English and pronunciation. However Lady V just goes up and down with her tone which makes her language skills bad… period! Yes, we know she lived in the US but that does not negate the fact that her accent goes on several amusement park swings…. up, down, up down. Just speak plainly…. take cues from the likes of Dorian beauty, PhunkAfrica etc.. and see how they appear lovable because they don’t form fone!.

18. jcsgrl

September 24, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Ok first of all Glory, I love your show girl. You will soon become Africa’s next Oprah. I love the real issues you are presenting and the plethora of guests you are bringing to the show. Kudos to you and keep flying
    Ok back to aunt V, I think you guys were too harsh on her. She did bring in some valid points in a straight to the point way. I don’t think she was subscribing to the slimmer is better rule just making observations from the fashion world. On the spanx bit, I had to dig out mine this morning while getting ready for work and honestly I don’t see any difference other than my ribs almost cracking. I’m thinking of going the Glory’s route in a few mins. However, I think for bigger people spanx can be helpful. Just see it as added accessory to accentuate the package.
    Oreka, gosh what I will give to have your body…itz well
    Wana…kisses and I covet that brain and pinchable cheeks of yours

19. Annonymous

October 1, 2014 at 3:37 am

Haba Oyaga! From what I watched, they all spoke eloquently and intelligently, Veronica included. The idea of the discussion was to bring different points of views and come to a consensus. She drew from her life experiences and view points as did others. Her accent sounded ok… the only variations I heard were when she was emulating other people using more Nigerian tones (Nothing wrong with that).

That being said, whether you’re slim or on the bigger side, health is definitely number 1 (as they said). Careful not to loose sight of that while accepting who you are and your size… And please please… People need to dress appropriately for their size (which can also be as fashionable as you like). Talk of wearing whatever you like and not caring what that looks like… who are we deceiving? How you look/appear goes a long way in how you are received and treated (big or small, you need to look presentable… period).