Style

GTBank Lagos Fashion & Design Week 2014 – Day 1: April by Kunbi

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

April-by-Kunbi-GTBank-LFDW-October2014-BellaNaija016Slayyyyy!

April by Kunbi came, saw and conquered the 2014 GTBank Lagos Fashion & Design Week’s first day.

The fashion brand, owned by Kunbi Oyelese, had a little bit of everything in the collection showcased. From crop tops, asymmetrical ball skirts, glittery floor-length dress, a mustard coloured ball gown (modeled by Makida Moka – this dress was the best look of the night) and a few bridal inspired pieces, April by Kunbi rocked the runway.

April by Kunbi also showcased some sweet summer worthy floral pieces. This collection was everything fab!

Check out the collection below!

April-by-Kunbi-GTBank-LFDW-October2014-BellaNaija006 April-by-Kunbi-GTBank-LFDW-October2014-BellaNaija012 April-by-Kunbi-GTBank-LFDW-October2014-BellaNaija014 April-by-Kunbi-GTBank-LFDW-October2014-BellaNaija020 April-by-Kunbi-GTBank-LFDW-October2014-BellaNaija010 April-by-Kunbi-GTBank-LFDW-October2014-BellaNaija011 April-by-Kunbi-GTBank-LFDW-October2014-BellaNaija013 April-by-Kunbi-GTBank-LFDW-October2014-BellaNaija009 April-by-Kunbi-GTBank-LFDW-October2014-BellaNaija002 April-by-Kunbi-GTBank-LFDW-October2014-BellaNaija005 April-by-Kunbi-GTBank-LFDW-October2014-BellaNaija003 April-by-Kunbi-GTBank-LFDW-October2014-BellaNaija007 April-by-Kunbi-GTBank-LFDW-October2014-BellaNaija015 April-by-Kunbi-GTBank-LFDW-October2014-BellaNaija004 April-by-Kunbi-GTBank-LFDW-October2014-BellaNaija008 April-by-Kunbi-GTBank-LFDW-October2014-BellaNaija017 April-by-Kunbi-GTBank-LFDW-October2014-BellaNaija018 April-by-Kunbi-GTBank-LFDW-October2014-BellaNaija019 April-by-Kunbi-GTBank-LFDW-October2014-BellaNaija021

Kunbi Oyelese

Kunbi Oyelese

Photo Credit: Kola Oshalusi (Insigna Media)

Check out the full schedule for the 2014 GTBank Lagos fashion & Design Week here.

1. Just me

October 30, 2014 at 1:27 am

It’s alright

2. nystyle

October 30, 2014 at 1:29 am

I LOVE HER CLOTHES!!! April by kunbi.

3. MissB

October 30, 2014 at 2:10 am

So so fashion week every week in Lagos! i don’t see any fundraisers, awareness initiatives…anything that will contribute to making our society is a better place*. Fashion this, music that. *With exception of the Pink Ball for breast cancer awareness. Shame.

4. vickky

October 30, 2014 at 2:44 am

i am pretty sure, we have seen this collection before. i think some of these “designers” need to go intern for Taibo Bacar. That dude is the ish.

5. kelechi

October 30, 2014 at 3:36 am

MissB please organise the fund raisers nau. Talk is cheap

• MissB

October 31, 2014 at 2:52 am

I don’t live in Nigeria. If I did, I would. And the word is “now”. Not like “nau” is shorter!

6. Just me

October 30, 2014 at 5:05 am

This collection can b high street fashion. The finishing of some of the garments weren’t so great and fabrics used. I’ve seen random pics of the designer herself so I was expecting better.

7. Blossom

October 30, 2014 at 5:14 am

Love most of the designs but I absolutely hate the colours on most of them. Yuck.

8. Chi

October 30, 2014 at 7:20 am

I I don’t like what I see……crap!

• Demilade

October 30, 2014 at 6:16 pm

You can say you don’t like it but it’s not very nice to call someone’s work crap. How do you think she would feel reading this? xx

9. Feirooz

October 30, 2014 at 7:38 am

One of my fav african designers

10. Queen1

October 30, 2014 at 7:47 am

The collections are ‘just there’. I was expecting something better than this from Kunbi.

11. Surely

October 30, 2014 at 8:08 am

she needs to go fabric shopping, her casual looks >>>> the dressy ones

12. BlueEyed

October 30, 2014 at 9:09 am

Dear miss kunbi I am disappointed. Your FIT alumni would be disappointed, this collection is too plain, I don’t see fashion forward thinking. U have good lines and skill with sewing, but you shouldn’t have put out this collection, not that it’s bad but for african fashion, we need fashion forward thinking, i don’t even get who her woman is with these pieces. dear BN, I suggest that sometimes a little info about the basis of some of these collections should be stated, I mean descriptive info from the designer. With Miss Kunbi If I have an idea of who she’s designing for and what her design aesthetic is, I might look at this collection differently.

• nene

October 30, 2014 at 5:56 pm

gbam. i’m shocked she went to FIT. i’m not impressed at all.

13. Ayishaa

October 30, 2014 at 9:31 am

Collection is nice but am I don’t c anything original or new

14. madam

October 30, 2014 at 10:14 am

just ok

15. Nne

October 30, 2014 at 10:14 am

I like Kunbi and her designs a lot BUT truth be told the finishing on this collection is poor.. Welldone though….

• No8ting

October 30, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Yeah, apparently she made everything in 2 weeks. Just saw it on @Bellanaijaweddings. I forgive her for that, maybe she should have shown fewer pieces. Overall well done, I’m sure this is not the last we will see from her.

16. Nne

October 30, 2014 at 10:20 am

Weldone*

17. mrs chidukane

October 30, 2014 at 10:33 am

Why won’t the finishing be poor when she’s busy making asoebi for Toke Makinwa and co every Saturday? It’s really disappointing, she should have pulled out of the show than present this collection. This is horrible. Its either she concentrates on making clothes for people or she concentrates on putting out collections. She can’t do both at least for now.

18. anie

October 30, 2014 at 11:07 am

I don’t mean to put down any hard work but a lot of the fabric and all the “off the shoulder” styles are on the last three editions of asoebi bella

19. Fashion focus

October 30, 2014 at 11:55 am

These pictures do not do these collections justice AT ALL….. I like that she played with other fabrics this time, i agree its not her best work but Her show was my favorite yesterday. Bella Where is the yellow finale dress???

• No8ting

October 30, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Your comment made me go on her IG page and I’m totally confused what these people are on about. You can give constructive criticism but there’s a difference in that and bashing or leaving hurtful comments. I LOVE everything I saw on her Instagram page. Well done Kunmbi! Just do you

20. Teejay

October 30, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Bella Naija, I can’t seem to find the mustard coloured ball gown modeled by Makida Moka. Help, please?

21. Moet

October 30, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Poor choice of fabrics, even poorer finishing on “ordinary” clothes. C”mon Kunbi, i’ve seen better and if you need to, get some recycling classes.

22. Mz Socially Awkward...

October 30, 2014 at 1:47 pm

I honestly feel that this was a sub-par collection from a well liked designer. Which is a shame as I was looking forward to seeing what she had to show this year.

23. Keisha

October 30, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Exactly!! Where is that yellow finale dress? I was at the show and must say most of the pictures dont do the clothes justice. Everyone is entitled to their opinion sha, there are some amazing pieces i saw which are missing from the feature. Great job April by Kunbi! Let them say

24. busybee

October 30, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Yay Kunbi! There’s room for improvement but she did a good job!

25. amaa

October 30, 2014 at 2:32 pm

When you rise to the top you have to work harder to stay there . One of the issues I have with designers and musicians etc is what I call the laziness of success. You work hard to get recognition and once you get it you automatically go into hibernation mode. Now I understand why Emmy Colins is always shouting(his approach I may not like). Artists infact anybody in the visual arts industry needs to buckle up in this country we are tired of mediocrity . You must not show your collection in every Fashion week . Pick one and spend time and energy being creative and stop assaulting our eyes with boring pieces.

• MissB

October 31, 2014 at 2:55 am

AMEN O!!!!!

26. Lolo

October 30, 2014 at 3:51 pm

The crop top,The slit skirt.The ball skirt.Oh no,Kunbi!Nothing new?No forward thinking?Haba jama!

27. tutu

October 30, 2014 at 9:52 pm

I am underwhelmed. I expected so much more. I love april by kunbi still.

28. Ibukun

October 31, 2014 at 4:56 am

I don’t even care about what the clothes look like anymore, you people need to take it easy. No matter what, this is somebody’s effort! it is so mean to call it crap, to say things like what a shame. These comments are mean enough to make a softhearted person quit (and commit suicide sef) not everyone on a platform has the strong will to brush off negativity. Sometimes the effort people put in don’t reflect what we expect, does it mean they did not try? No! do we have to become monsters just to show them they did not meet our expectations? No! I strongly believe there are better ways to express opinions. LIFE IS TOUGH. WE CAN TRY TO BE NICE. ENCOURAGE PEOPLE.
    Hmmm anyway, such is life.

29. omasiri

October 31, 2014 at 12:38 pm

This is just Copy and paste! but i give it to her, she copies well. Maybe she should stop doing fashion shows and just concetrate on whatshe knows how to do best. All the best Kunbi

30. Vu

October 31, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Oh no Kunbi, I expected so much more. Gosh….fewer pieces with better finishing would have been better. Expectations were really high, that’s why people seem to be hard on you. Love you and don’t want to see you go lazy. I know you’re capable of a much better collection.

31. Taiwo

November 1, 2014 at 12:50 am

Well,I think d problem we av in nig fashion ind is dat everybody want to be a fashn designer jst bcos they want to appear on d runway and fashion is way more than that.it’s more of hardwork than glamour.The collection is too watery for me.She can’t be from FIT pls.