2014 has been full of a lot of trends – from rainbow coloured hair to the messy braid, and now we get to let you in on a new trend that has been hitting our radar for a while – The Wob. And yes, you probably pronounced it right the first time.
The Wob is a Wavy Bob that could come in any texture, wave pattern, parting or length. As long as it has waves and technically qualifies to be called a bob, it’s a Wob.
Although this trend has been in and out of the beauty scene for some time, there was one woman who brought the Wob back with a vengeance – Beyonce. When Queen Bey displayed her new look on stage and the red carpet at the 2014 Grammys with hubby Jay Z, it met both criticisms and praise; but it looks like Beyonce set the ball rolling for this hot new trend today.
Stars like Jennifer Lawrence, Taraji P. Henson, Miley Cyrus, Keri Hilson, Kerry Washington, Taylor Swift, Selena Gomez, Vanessa Hudgens and many more have been seen rocking this do and we just had to report on all its fabulosity.
The Wob is super flexible as it is a great go-to hairstyle if you’re looking for a short ‘do without the commitment. It looks great on almost anyone, and can work for a vast number of occasions, from dinners to a fun party.
Thinking of rocking this look soon? Here are a few tips to help you nail it.
1. Get the length right: It is best to get a long bob, also called a Lob (I know, I know). This allows you the freedom to get long wavy strands that settle into your hair; plus you can put your hair into a ponytail if you’re feeling overwhelmed like Jennifer Lawrence.
A great tip to help keep the styling in place is to make the length above your shoulders and below your chin. This way your ends remain wavy and don’t get messed up by your clothes.
2. Put a body on it: Body is a great way to enhance your Wob. Getting those big, wavy strands adds an extra ‘umph’ to your hairstyle that brings out all its glam. If your hair is too thick, you can have it texturized to reduce weight, and if your hair is too thin, have some extra layers of artificial hair or clip-ins added to give it more weight.
3. You can’t go wrong with a great styling tool: To maintain your Wob, it is best you get good styling tools that will get the job done. You would need volumizing spray, a curling wand and good brushes that will help keep your waves intact.
4. Add a pop: A pop here can mean different things. From a tiny braid detail to playing around with colours, there are many ways to spruce up your Wob. This would add more life and personality to your hair when it’s all done like it did for Nicole Richie.
5. Work with the shape of your face: The Wob works for almost everyone – but most especially for those with oval faces. If you’re not too sure if this hairstyle is for you, you can try keeping your waves to a minimum with soft waves. This gives off a soft and romantic look that can never go wrong.
So ladies, that’s the Wob. Tell us what you think? Would you be trying it anytime soon? Whose Wob do you like the most?
Photo Credit: Getty Images/Dimitrios Kambouris/Jason Merritt/Isaac Brekken/David Buchan/Fernando Leon/David Buchan/Brad Barket