Style

Ex-America’s Next Top Model Hopeful with Vitiligo Chantelle Winnie Poses for i-D Magazine | Shares Backlash from Experience

Chantelle Winnie for I-D Magazine by Harry Carr - BellaNaija - November 2014002

Ex-America’s Next Top Model contestant Chantelle Winnie is a face you won’t soon forget. If not for her beauty, for her skin condition – Vitiligo – which she has turned into a plus.

The model has gained quite a following for her unique look and has served as inspiration for people of colour with Vitiligo.

Shot by Harry Carr for i-D Magazine, Chantelle shows no holding back as she exposes parts of her skin affected and looks stunning doing it.

Check out more photos below;

Chantelle Winnie for I-D Magazine by Harry Carr - BellaNaija - November 2014 Chantelle Winnie for I-D Magazine by Harry Carr - BellaNaija - November 2014001 Chantelle Winnie for I-D Magazine by Harry Carr - BellaNaija - November 2014003

***

She also had an interview with news and chat site Yahoo! Shine where she talks about growing with Vitiligo and how her modelling career started.

On how she started modelling
[Modelling] was something I kind of just fell into. I did a photoshoot and an interview with a Canadian journalist named Shannon Boodram, who’s like a big sister to me now. She saw me on Facebook, and like a lot of people, at first she thought my skin was done with makeup or paint and I was just doing something cool for a picture. But when she found out that wasn’t it, she thought that I was gorgeous and wanted to interview me and talk to me about my skin and my upbringing.

On being on America’s Next Top Model
There’s a stereotype that comes with the show where it’s like you’re not a real model, you are a reality star – and that’s not what I’m looking for. But in everything you have to take the good with the bad. I was like, you know what, it’s an amazing platform and it’s going to give me somewhere that I can show my face and let my voice be heard – and if it works, it works, and if it doesn’t, it doesn’t. So I just took the opportunity that was at hand and it made for a lot of amazing opportunities.

On the backlash gotten from being on ANTM
Before the airing of the show, I felt like being bullied and the things I went through in my childhood were horrific. They were ridiculously bad. But the worst battle I’ve gone through to date is the negativity from the show.

It kind of looks like since I’m handling it well, they can bully me even more. But it’s just the fact that I’ve been through so much that I can stand up to most things. And sometimes I can’t. Sometimes I’ll break down and I’ll cry – I am a human being. But there are many things I can hold a straight face for, and some people think that means that I am cold or I’m a b—ch, but it’s just being able to take backlash.

Her advice for others with the same condition
Self-image or self-confidence, it has to do with yourself. Those things are scarred so much by other people, but those are really things within yourself. Those are things you should focus on yourself instead of looking towards the opinions and validation from other people that yes, you are beautiful. You should know that you are beautiful, you should know that you are creative, you should know that you are beautifully and wonderfully made. That’s just something you have to believe within yourself.

read the rest of the interview on www.ca.shine.yahoo.com

For more information and images, please visit www.i-d.vice.com

1. bruno

November 22, 2014 at 10:19 am

can all of you see her vitiligo patches all over her face and body, this girl was definitely bullied unlike that nigerian girl who is looking for sympathy from the public, her vitiligo patches are so small and its on her leg, shes crying saying she was bullied mercilessly. plsssss

by the way, I thought this girl was going to win America’s next top model, she has terrible behaviour tho, the other contestants hated her.who wants to bet the winner is Keith.

• Ogo

December 8, 2014 at 8:22 am

Please Bruno who is the Nigerian girl looking for sympathy?
      …….nigerian girl who is looking for sympathy from the public, her vitiligo patches are so small and its on her leg, shes crying saying she was bullied mercilessly. plsssss
      Please I will like to know her…
      Thanks

2. AW

November 22, 2014 at 11:17 am

Bullying is bullying. Because it is done to a lesser degree or over a “small thing” does not make it less of an issue. The same emotional trauma is suffered. I would have thought some people would be more sympathetic having walked a similar route.

• Ogo

December 8, 2014 at 8:26 am

Thank you AW……….I wish that Bruno had little experience of what it means, like you said it practically has got nothing to do with the extent. I rmb discussing with a man who was so worried about the wife and her a patch on her leg…I learnt a hue lesson that day.
      Am just reading with my mouth open…..
      Am glad Chantel is where she is today. I remember when she was 17 and the first video they did on her which was actually sent and I personally helped to share to all ends……..
      Now a ‘nigerian girl who is looking for sympathy from the public, her vitiligo patches are so small and its on her leg, shes crying saying she was bullied mercilessly. plsssss’

3. Oma

November 22, 2014 at 11:30 am

At first I liked her on ANTM I thought she would win, but when she got back to the house with all that attitude, reminded me of Kiara in cycle 20. It’s alright to be strong despite all she been through but she went too far when she lied about making out with Keith. Felt she wasn’t bringing her a-game and stayed comfortable with only the uniqueness of her skin. Rumor has it Shei won, but the camera loves Will and Lenox, Tyra stays forever rigging for Adam and Keith.

• goldfinch

November 23, 2014 at 11:37 am

Shei is out. She was eliminated this week.

4. french naira

November 22, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Keith just took it to another level. If he doesnt win then he has just missed one of the best chances he cld hv had. Though thinking about it i think he will make it big time with the right mind set/without winx.
    By the way what was she thinkx sayx she made out with Keith. She shldve known better.

5. mee

November 22, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Will won, she was second.

• ChiChi

November 28, 2014 at 2:31 pm

No, surprisingly, Adam was the winner of this cycle. I dunno how he won though.

6. mee

November 22, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Shei.

7. Sade

November 22, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Shei didn’t win oh. She just went home in today’s episode. I’m hoping Keith wins but Lenox and Will are strong competitors.

• Mzlyrics

November 22, 2014 at 5:50 pm

What Top Model are y’all watching? Shei was sent home yesterday night ke! I’d pitch my tent with Keith! He is the best of the bunch! As for Chantelle, no words! You lied about making out with Keith! What was that about really???

8. DC. Slim @the_real_dreal

November 22, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Gee, I have no idea what y’all are talking about……. Lol

9. chica

November 23, 2014 at 3:34 am

SeriouSly……lol

10. ATL's finest

November 23, 2014 at 6:40 am

@ Dc. Slim .. Read before you comment but anyways, she was a contestant on America’s next top model. I don’t know if U have ever watched it. However, I don’t think she’s gonna win because she’s got a tacky behavior & she wasn’t liked by her house mates..

11. jhennique

November 24, 2014 at 9:49 am

i follow her on instagram and i absolutely love how far she has gone despite her condition. However i do see a lot of comments, people calling her out about her nasty attitude. Maybe its a defense mechanism due to everything shez been through, maybe its the only form of strength she knows so that she doesnt appear weak and susceptible to all the backlash. But then everyone cant be wrong. She really needs to check her attitude cos sadly the world doesnt care what uv been thru. everyone is going thru something too.

12. sabisabi

December 21, 2014 at 1:52 pm

I wouldn’t judge her so much about her attitude. It could just be a guard-rail she set up so she wouldn’t be hurt so much. We live in a world that thrives on exhibitionism and perfectionism. If you are not deemed perfect, folks just want to shove you. It’s only human to put up a facade of toughness so all the negative jabs the world throws you doesn’t get under your skin. I love her audacity.

13. Mz P.

January 11, 2015 at 3:00 pm

What kind of attitude are you all talking about cause I see nothing. By the way she didn’t lie about hooking up with Keith, it was true. If there was anyone with attitude it was Romeo and Mirjana and other girls who were constantly picking on her