Music

Africa against Ebola! Banky W, Mafikizolo, Don Jazzy, Tiwa Savage & More Stars Re-record ‘We are the World’

We are the World MTN Africa (6)This is going to be one of the biggest collaborations that Africa has ever seen with stars like Banky W, Mafikizolo, Dr. Sid, Don Jazzy, Tiwa Savage, Praiz, Di’Ja, Reekado Banks, Iceberg Slim, D’Prince, Diamond, Iyanya, Mosa, Sean Tizzle and many more.

We are the World MTN Africa (4) We are the World MTN Africa (1) We are the World MTN Africa (2) We are the World MTN Africa (3) We are the World MTN Africa (5) We are the World MTN Africa (7) We are the World MTN Africa (8) We are the World MTN Africa (9)

The stars will be releasing a new version of Quincy Jones’ ‘We Are the World’ (originally written by Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie) for Ebola, just like Wyclef Jean did a few years ago with 25 stars for Haiti.

A video will also be released for the song.

A video posted by Dr SID (@iamdrsid) on

Here’s a look at the ‘We are the World’ version released to raise funds for Haiti in 2010:

Here’s a look at the very first version of ‘We are the World’ which Quincy Jones directed to raise funds for Africa:

Photo Credit: Instagram

1. Jet

December 1, 2014 at 9:09 am

Please why are they re-recording the song? I think we have enough creative writers to write a song for this purpose.

2. Kenya

December 1, 2014 at 9:18 am

Hmm, some of these artistes are not known for their vocal abilities. I can’t see Waje, Chidinma, Omawumi, 2 baba etc. those who can actually sing.

• amaa

December 1, 2014 at 9:56 am

I agree with you Chee, chidinma,waje,Efya omawumi Jerimiah Gyang, Timi dakolo all vocal strongholds. This is not a song for mediocre vocals. I would have preferred another song writtEn for this purpose something more indigenous like Dbanj Agriculture campaign song cocoa nah chocolate and ewa na beans. It will be interesting to watch how this turns out. In the voice of TI I don’t want no mediocre

3. Leo

December 1, 2014 at 9:23 am

Can’t they just make their own song

4. FoB

December 1, 2014 at 9:36 am

Good concept, a little late but welcomed. I hope they got the necessary approval to use the song.

5. Curious

December 1, 2014 at 9:50 am

Everything just to belong!…Nigerian celebrities and artistes are just one kind…many of them are just there for the photo op….Enough auto tuning.

• Atl's finest

December 1, 2014 at 10:33 am

Lmao! I had to click multiple likes..

6. nene

December 1, 2014 at 10:21 am

i don’t get the point. it’s ebola, not an earthquake or something. better still, form a new song.

7. bruno

December 1, 2014 at 11:20 am

I dont understand. how are they going to raise money with this song. do africans buy songs from itunes. smh we africans like to copy anything oyinbo people do.

some of these musicians are just there for notice me. d prince, sean tuzzle hahahahahaha so laughable can these people sing. lol

8. Missy J

December 1, 2014 at 12:08 pm

So many Marvins. Hmmmm love how Don Jazzy uses his influence to push his protégées forward. #Follow his ladder biko oooh#

9. john bosco

December 1, 2014 at 1:28 pm

10. Thatgidigirl

December 1, 2014 at 2:16 pm

I was expecting this after UK’s “feed the world” for ebola. What they forget is that it sold millions within days of release, some of these artists haven’t even gotten 1million ppl to buy their albums let alone getting nigerians or africans to buy a remake on iTunes or whatever. I commend their efforts though, its better than not doing anything……

11. papermoon

December 1, 2014 at 3:42 pm

I dont know whether to say this but……….. from the picture i have seen there’s nothing AFRICAN about the appearance of these people oo. look more like USA for Africa. Its not as if “Africanness” is only shown in appearance, however i think appearance is also a part of it………. well just my thoughts.

12. Anon

December 1, 2014 at 6:46 pm

I just watched the remaining 2 and I must say…. I am scared to see the African version

13. Someone_Special

December 1, 2014 at 7:17 pm

These selected artists are involved probably because they are brand ambassadors for MTN.

14. Princess

December 2, 2014 at 2:13 am

artist from liberia, guinea, and sierre leone need to be apart of this as well since their countries are really feeling the impact of ebola

15. Aliona

December 2, 2014 at 7:01 am

Was Dr Sid lipsinging or talking…

16. bababoi

December 2, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Na so so copy copy dem sabi, mchwww,later dem go dey judge us for project fame,where asa dey, where bez, where cohbams. Sincerely i can’t c any creatvity in dis tin….mchewww again!!!

17. suzy

December 3, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Hmmm, I jas cnt imagine hw it would come out. Good concept, would av written there’s for this purpose then fish doz good African vocalists for this later. Pls dnt fall my hand oo. #fingers crossed#