Style

BN Beauty: Begin Your Journey to Smooth Skin! 5 Rules of Exfoliating to Guide You

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Exfoliating is a major part of any beauty routine. It helps get rid of dead skin cells, dirt, makes your skin smooth and even improves your skin tone; but I admit we can go overboard with it sometimes. With all the great benefits it promises, it is just too easy to scrub once and once more, and one more time just in case, in the hope of getting flawless skin. But just like every other thing, there are rules that guide its use.

From the number of times you should exfoliate daily, to how you should scrub, here are a few guides that could help you exfoliate better!

1. Exfoliate in the Morning

When it comes to skincare, all the hard work is done at night. Your skin repairs and regenerates while you sleep, making the morning the best time to scrub away the trash the night racked up. This way you enter your day with a fresh and smooth face.

2. Exfoliate once or twice a week only

Do not exfoliate everyday. Your skin can be quite delicate and vulnerable, so it is best not to put it through this scrubbing process often. You can exfoliate once or twice a week, and then follow that up with a moisturizer to help regulate oil levels in your skin and leave it looking clean and smooth.

3. Ensure to pick the right kind of scrub

Just because a scrub has granules doesn’t make it right for your face. Some granules have jagged edges that can rip through skin which can cause injury, redness and irritation. Go for round granules that can easily roll on your face instead for a safer approach.

4. Consider your skin type

There are different scrubs for different skin types. If your skin is oily, you want to make sure you pick one that is oil-free; if your skin is dry then you want to pick a scrub that isn’t too harsh on your skin. This way you don’t cause more damage while trying to fix some.

5. Always moisturize post-scrub

Scrubbing your skin with an exfoliator takes away more than just dead skin cells. It strips away oil, and makes your skin more vulnerable than before. This is why you need to protect and care for it after the scrub. Use a good moisturizer that contains SPF to help shield your skin so your hard work isn’t in vain.

These are just 5 tips, but we are sure you would have more that we would just love to hear. Share them!

Photo Credit: Dreamstime/Arne9001

1. sum1special

December 11, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Very helpful…but hat scrubs are best advised to use?i have a dry skin.

• Ivy

December 11, 2014 at 2:59 pm

St. Ives

• Akua Y

December 12, 2014 at 11:41 am

No St Ives please. It ripped through my skin and its left tiny holes. I read about this but didn’t think it was true as so many people swear by it. How I wish Id listened….

• Pipi

December 11, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Use la champeys body scrub, it’s amazing with citrus oil

• Koffie

December 20, 2014 at 12:20 am

Sugar scrub is good. You can’t overscrub with a sugar scrub ’cause the sugar melts over time thereby protecting you. Most sugar scrubs also have oils incorporated in them. I use Bodycology sugar scrub xoxo and I have oily skin but it’s still great for me. Sort of like using Dove cream bar to bath, you’d feel moisturised with Bodycology.
      On another note, I heard sugar scrubs are good for achieving smooth legs. Scrub it, oil it

2. Queen of Everything

December 11, 2014 at 3:08 pm

It is better to choose scrubs with naturally-derived granules. some of them have synthetic (read plastic) pellets which upset your skin further as they are too abrasive and have negative environmental impacts especially on marine life.
    You can tell the plastic ones by the colour and consistency of the scrub, I had to give up my garnier one that I used to swear by (had blue plastic pellets) 🙁
    @sum1special try St Ives, Burt’s Bees, Yes to Tomato, Origins, Botanics etc. I don’t know where you’re based so not sure about accessibility to some products

3. Goody

December 11, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Dear Bella,

Which one is round granules? Please throw more light. I have oil face and dead cells. What type of mosturizer can you recommend for me?

4. sum1special

December 11, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Thanks so much everyone…y:all being helpful.St Ives it is then.

• Ebi

December 13, 2014 at 10:45 pm

U kidding? Akua Y just told its a big no no to St Ives, how it ripped at her skin. D writer also warned of such scrubs and including some other commentators here. Some have taken time to elaborate good products for you and you didn’t pay attention. Please help yourself and go through the comments thoughtfully before arriving at tour decision. U can even use d examples here as a shopping guide. U can even get cheaper options.
      For me I use St Ives… But there are different St Ives. So you need to know which to choose. I should think d ones with a higher price but at d same quantity with cheaper ones should be better. Mine is in a big tube and not a jar/cup. And its manufactured in Los Angels USA and then New Zealand. So watch out for this 2 things. Then its wriitten on it ‘does not irritate skin’. So choose wisely with St Ives.

5. VeryANgryNigerian

December 11, 2014 at 4:05 pm

You can try good old baking soda…and if you want, add a little bit of vitamin E, make in paste and apply in circular motion . If you have dry skin use every other week. If you have acne prone skin, use non-comedogenic products like cetaphil (both moisturizer and foam cleanser). This is good for men too, especially if you have shaing bumps.

6. bruno

December 11, 2014 at 4:52 pm

aloe vera, morning and nite, and u will see wonders.

• benny

December 12, 2014 at 2:47 am

Kpomkwem!

7. Uju G A

December 12, 2014 at 8:20 am

I have been a faithful “olay girl” for 6 years and counting ..they have a lot of exfoliating products but “olay regenerist daily thermal mini peel” works perfect for my face and neck (you feel it warming into your skin…works like magic, no kidding..and you skin feels so smooth and soft ..many people i recommend this to always agree same ..downside is the price ..a little pricey but sooo worth it)… i use the “olay complete daily defence moisturizer with sunscreen spf 30” during the day time, then i use the olay complete night fortifying cream at night .. For my body, i use “olay quench ultra moisture with sheabutter and vitamins E and B3” as lotion after exfoliating my body. I used to exfoliate my body with “olay daily exfoliating with sea salt and microbeads ..(this was really good but it is no longer in stores around me)… so..most times i just stick with scrubbing my skin with olay soap and a lofa… and call it a day .. I get quite a lot of complement on my skin ..but most importantly eat health and drink lots of fluids … it also affects your skin…story for another day .. sorry for the typo errors …sleepy typing and no time to proof read ..gotta sleep..lol 🙂

• Koffie

December 20, 2014 at 12:30 am

The Olay Regenerist product line is actually magical. My friend asked me why I (very early 20s) was using a Regenerist product as she felt it was only for mature skin but I think it’s good to treat problems before they have a chance to crop up. Lol but they’re too expensive. it was the Olay Regenerist regenerating serum I used and I had to stop after that one just ’cause they cost an arm. Lol. I’m gonna switch to Neutrogena Visibly even face cream…

• Rookie

June 28, 2016 at 2:43 pm

the Olay regenerist scrub is not good for me…gives me rashes after use, my face looks rough. Just found out it was written on the body that we discontinue use if rashes occur. Bad choice for me after spending much. Need a better option, may try Neutrogena but then Neutrogena moisturizer is making my face dark, its annoying…