Style

Belinda Effah, Ashionye Raccah & More Naturalistas Join the #SoNapptural Campaign to Change the Perception of Natural Hair

SoNaptural Campaign - Bellanaija - January2015003

Beauty is so diverse, and natural hair is definitely a huge part of that diverse world.

For the new campaign #SoNapptural by Sylvya Oluchy; Belinda Effah, Ashionye Raccah, Sylvya Oluchy, Diana Yekini & Sylvya have joined the movement which seeks to “revive the beautiful perception and pride in black hair and remove the “untidy, unkept”, stigma placed on it“.

According to Sylvya;

Hair is so often said to be a womans crown and glory. Ever so often when I try talking to black women to wear their natural hair, they say to me, while sitting in the chair at the saloon, waiting for the relaxer to straighten their hair “this is my natural hair”. So I rephrase “NAPPTURAL (ie Nappy and natural), why can’t you be so NAPPTURAL and love it“.

Hair is nothing but dead cells that grows out of our body, yet it has become a standard of beauty for women. We all have different heights, weights, skin/eye colours as well as different hair textures. Yet we have somehow managed to elevate one hair texture to be the penultimate beauty standard to look trendy and fashionable“.

Check the naturalistas out!

SoNaptural Campaign - Bellanaija - January2015002 SoNaptural Campaign - Bellanaija - January2015004 SoNaptural Campaign - Bellanaija - January2015005 SoNaptural Campaign - Bellanaija - January2015001

SoNaptural Campaign - Bellanaija - January2015006

Photo Credit
Photography
: Akin Kongi

1. Trendysturvs Blog

January 26, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Beautiful

trendysturvsblog.com/

2. olly

January 26, 2015 at 1:39 pm

hmm…waiting for the natural hair bashing comments……

3. j

January 26, 2015 at 1:44 pm

Ah we are still trying to change perception…ok o

• Bleed Blue

January 26, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Honestly! I genuinely think the perception has been changed to within an inch of its life!

4. Miss Kay

January 26, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Enough with the natural hair stories already!

5. Jane Public

January 26, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Errrr, napptural and dyed hair. So, tell me that that is exactly how the hair grows from your scalp. Y’all are tripping. Picking one thing on the head and ignoring what is also on the face, a part of the head. Make-up, same way relaxer enhances, yes I used the word enhances, bite me. Where was I, ah yes. Same way the relaxer enhances your natural hair, is the same way makeup enhances your natural face. Hold your horses, make up can be washed off, but guess what, your skin also, for want of a better word, “eats” the makeup and alters the PH, the epidermis, dermis and all that gbogbo e. If you don’t believe me, use google, go to Youtube and see what your body cream, foundation, powder, highlighting, bronzer and all that jazz does to your skin. The same way if you don’t retouch for 4 months and your hair changes, is also the same if you don’t apply a stitch of makeup for 4 months. Same biological process or renewal and regeneration. So, my dear, you can’t pick one movement and glaringly disobey the next. The kind of make-up on these women is not African, and is part of the penultimate standard of beauty you just easily criticised. After all, we didn’t apply makeup like this before, all these on their faces came from The West. I can’t see any tiro, adu and all those stuff our grandmothers use. So, live and let live, and don’t be hypocritical while you are at it. You should NOT be talking to anyone in a salon about their hair. Relaxers or weaves don’t make you less African or make you love yourself less. Wearing your natural hair and proud doesn’t change the perception that other nationalities have of Africans. it won’t make them respect or identify with you more. Growth, development, less corruption, no hungry children on their tv screens, no poverty, disease etc is what we need to campaign about to make ourselves feel better as Africans and represent our identity. The same way you guys say those other women practice self hate, is on the same level as saying it is the penultimate standard of beauty. Both have no basis. Drops Mic

• Iyawo Oye

January 26, 2015 at 2:55 pm

Here, have a glass of chilled coke. You really need it.

• Idomagirl

January 26, 2015 at 4:13 pm

As in! She needs correct chilled coke.

• JanePublic

January 26, 2015 at 4:23 pm

I stopped drinking coke 5 years ago. Chilled Dom, now that is a favourite. Can you afford that. Didn’t think so

• Susan

January 26, 2015 at 7:02 pm

“Can you afford that”? You should be demoted back to high school if you’re not in high school. You my friend are stupidly shallow. Smh.

• Adwoa

January 26, 2015 at 3:53 pm

You’re on a rampage, Jane Public.

• ms.b

January 26, 2015 at 6:06 pm

Preach on sister! Soo true, I am not my hair!!!

• Ufuoma

January 26, 2015 at 6:31 pm

Quick question? Why does it seem like most of the natural hair posts always seem to get to you in some way? On behalf of whatever natural hair friend or foe that has made you biased towards the rest of us sorry oh!

• Wondering...

February 14, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Jane, you are SO on point!
      How women are “natural” only because they do not apply chemicals to their hair – but instead apply chemicals to their faces?

6. Sanai

January 26, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Beautiful stuff! I’m proud of Nigerian women for embracing their various real hair textures! Especially in this our culture where the foreigner’s hair is considered more beautiful., I applaud the women who wear their own with confidence. I saw Funmi Iyanda on a TV show recently wearing her real Afro & the coolest outfit! She looked beautiful! Confidence is key. Sometimes it doesnt come naturally & you have to find it on your own. However, the journey is worth it because you eventually free yourself from the beauty ideals society has placed on you. It is empowering to define your own idea of beauty!

7. Brown

January 26, 2015 at 2:13 pm

I think caring for long, natural hair can be time consuming. Some women also have very coarse hair and its a whole lot easier to just “fry” it. Basically, whatever rocks your boat.

8. Taiwo

January 26, 2015 at 2:15 pm

what if i don’t want napptural hair?? I tried it for a while and quite frankly, I didn’t like it one bit!! #mychoice

• Idomagirl

January 26, 2015 at 4:14 pm

Did they say you should have ‘napptural’ hair?

9. niola

January 26, 2015 at 2:25 pm

abeg you lots should go and siddon jare. How many times do you hear people having a relaxed hair movement. You hair is naptural good for you but please dont force everyone to join the movement. I personally think it just makes women look scruffy apart from a few that i have seen, but you don’t see me telling them why don’t you use the creamy crack( Like y’all call it) so live and lets live abeg, i tire

• Idomagirl

January 26, 2015 at 4:18 pm

But they haven’t said everyone should go natural. They just want to change the perception people have of it, they’re probably tired of people calling their hair untidy or dirty.

10. crew cutter

January 26, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Whilst I’m all for wearing natural hair, some ladies use this as an excuse to wear untidy hair. A lot of the natural looks I see around look really shabby, as if the owner does not care about her appearance. Bring back the Afro, I say !

11. oj

January 26, 2015 at 2:59 pm

so the hair is still natural when dyed? love ashionye’s!
    As much as I love seeing natural hair well taken care of, I just can’t manage it. love my relaxed natural hair and will keep it healthy.

12. bruno

January 26, 2015 at 2:59 pm

long hiss. nigerians loves to feel among and imitate black americans.

in nigeria who cares if u carry natural hair or artificial hair. biko life is too difficult in nigeria for us to be worried about who is caring natural hair or artificial or relaxed.

africans americans have done this kind of campaign so as usual we nigerians will copy. follow follow no good.

• Idomagirl

January 26, 2015 at 4:15 pm

If Nigerians didn’t care, weave makers and sellers would not be smiling to the bank.

13. shayor

January 26, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Nice but daunting task. Whatever rocks your boat.

14. BrunosShadow

January 26, 2015 at 3:46 pm

Bruno you are really not a bitter person, your comments work like reality check. However you are caustic and a bit insensitive which aren’t bad in themselves. Joan Rivers died and America mourned her so I guess we can handle your scalding remarks. Am following the maps that lead to you, following, following…..

15. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

January 26, 2015 at 3:46 pm

I think everyone should mind their business. This has become very embarrassing and redundant.

16. thatikwerrebabe

January 26, 2015 at 4:04 pm

There’s no way I can go natural because the texture of my hair is soooooo strong and I cant comb it properly. Cant walk about with unkempt hair because I wasn’t to be #teamnatural

• Anonymous

January 26, 2015 at 6:54 pm

@thatikwerrebabe, most times it’s not that the natural hair is so coarse, but it’s learning how to properly care for natural hair. It’s quite easy to comb and really not that time consuming to manage once you’re armed with the right knowledge.

• chaz

January 26, 2015 at 8:21 pm

Its all about knowledge. Once you know what your options are its easier. You only really comb natural hair when its wet and a good conditioner is your best friend. Anyway these campaigns are great and they give you images of beautiful natural haired woman, which will inspire any die hard relaxed haired woman.

17. wendy

January 26, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Una don chop bellyful……..Having Natural Hair is not a big thing…. Get over it people.. Movement ni ..movement ko

18. jay

January 26, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Interesting…never knew hair wuz dead cells that grow out of the body and I never knew locked and died hair could classify as natural.

19. hawttalkwithtosan.blogspot.ca

January 26, 2015 at 6:26 pm

Go gurls!!!! I am a naturalista(though mine is mainly covered in braids). Not easy rocking coily hair. Kudos girls

20. Mzlyrics

January 26, 2015 at 6:39 pm

You couldn’t have said it any better gurl! Makeup and the whole conturing ish, designer labels and co can also be termed stuffs from the west too. Why don’t we all decide to use only them Tiro and wear only our African prints? As Bruno said, this is more of an African American movement and whatever they do with it hardly concerns us Nigerians. No one is discriminating against us for our skin colour or our nappy hair here in Nigeria cos na all of us get am so kini big deal gan? I’m waiting till another idea from the west catches our fancy and this natural movement would take the backseat and we would all be going on about something else! Na wa mehn

21. Me

January 26, 2015 at 6:44 pm

Funmi iyanda has a natural hair but bleached brains, can’t u see how light skinned she’s gotten… Confidence my arse, abeg live and let live, let’s all do whatever the hell we like without bashing anyone or feeling like what I’m doing is more righteous than yours

• Mary

January 26, 2015 at 10:41 pm

Although I’m not overly crazy about natural hair, where did you see in the post that other people were being bashed? Some of you are truly special creatures.

22. Seek Temi

January 26, 2015 at 7:03 pm

I love this Ashionye, Can she recommend the cream she uses? she use to be really black before

• hawttalkwithtosan.blogspot.ca

January 26, 2015 at 7:45 pm

She was never darker skinned. We went to school together.

• Lee

January 26, 2015 at 10:42 pm

Your shade is very stupid. Get a life please. Not everyone bleaches. What a sarcastic hater.

23. Someone Naughty

January 26, 2015 at 9:11 pm

My hair is natural (not on any team, I just happen to be natural) and I must say that these hair styles are not the tidiest or best representation for carrying natural hair. Chinonso’s dreads don’t look happy (they used to look much nicer)… Abeg, they can do better

• Owshbaby

January 27, 2015 at 11:40 pm

Bless you darlyn… While some ppl are busy eating their hearts out on whether they are being forced or not to go natural… Chim!

24. Angel

January 26, 2015 at 9:30 pm

I used to be so into wigs and weavons until one of my professors (European btw) gave a short speech that changed my perception about it forever. He stated that human hair is not just for beauty but also a sign of health among other things. Then he went on to say wigs are worn mostly by old or bald peeps and those with some medical condition that makes them loose hair. It was after that I realized why my white friends (then when I used to rock different weaves, like u see me wearing long weaves in the morning and in the evening a short one, lol) looked at me funny and just couldn’t understand why I wore weaves, no matter how many times I explained. See Beyounce is smart, she wears the same type of weave all the time cos she wants oyibo peeps to think it’s her natural hair, but we know what’s up. Moral of this story is if u must wear weave, please make sure it looks natural like ur hair and do not admit to anybody that it’s an extension, lol…

25. Bygone

January 27, 2015 at 8:12 am

Perming your natural hair is like bleaching your skin, all these people shaming natural hair are forgetting that underneath all those wigs and weaves, your own hair is kinky. Stop hating on these beautiful ladies, abeg if you want to continue putting money in the pockets of these Companies that keep selling brazilian hair instead of learning to maintain and grow your own then continue, let these natural ladies breath biko

• Blessmyheart

January 27, 2015 at 1:24 pm

But you know people who keep their ‘natural’ hair still use weaves and wigs as ‘protection’ sometimes, right?
      My own stance is, it’s good to celebrate what’s yours without alterations. I’m not sure dyed hair fits the bill but that’s a lesson to allow people make their choices.

26. spoonfullofsugar

January 27, 2015 at 9:17 am

Enough with the natural hair thing already… alot of Nigerians are copying the trend because african americans are following it. we all know our likeness for weaves are because they actually look good rather than some inferior feeling attached to our natural hair. If your natural hair is great, wear it… if not you’re on your own with the Ugliness. Take Belinda Effa for example, I’ve seen her in person and she actually looks better on a weave..Please lets hear word biko!

27. RollsEyes

January 27, 2015 at 9:41 am

I have had natural hair for al my life (I’m in my 20s). All these recent “naturaistas” make too much noise about the fad jareh!! Most people are going natural these days because it’s now the cool thing to do. You are not special or any more afrocentric than the next person – even if they are relaxed. Let us hear road and see road abeg!!!

28. labelle

January 27, 2015 at 10:07 am

I am soooo not my hair!!!!!!!!!

29. Wondering...

February 14, 2015 at 5:32 pm

I beg to differ. I don’t think wearing natural hair is an African American movement.
    As a native Naija pikin, my Mom used to tie my hair with thread at night when I was younger. And I wasn’t the only one. Check out YouTube……threading is now a trend. So who’s copying who? Did our maternal ancestors in earlier centuries wear weaves? Nowadays weave wearing is global….who copied who or what?