Relationships

Big Sean on Ariana Grande: It Was Cool to Have a Girl That I Could Talk to about My Problems

Big SeanBig Sean and Ariana Grande started making headlines immediately the world got a whiff of their relationship and in an interview with Complex Magazine the 26-year-old rapper talks about how their relationship kick started.

He also talks about his relationship with Glee actress Naya Rivera while addressing reports that he stole from her.

febmar15-l-cover-bigsean-vn1 holding-head-sidebar-vn1

Read excerpts from his interview below.

On responding to Naya Rivera’s accusation that he stole a Rolex from her: “You can come to that conclusion yourself if you just look at the facts,” he says before pausing and then letting out a laugh. That’s probably why he says he wasn’t shocked by it. “I felt like it was unnecessary drama ‘cause in my eyes it wasn’t true. I wasn’t surprised by it,” he says with another long laugh. “Even though I didn’t steal anything, I wasn’t surprised by it.” First of all, why would I have to steal a Rolex” he asked. “Second of all, every Rolex that I have, I have receipts for, papers for, certificates of authenticity for. I would never steal a Rolex from anybody. You see that tweet got deleted in like 20 seconds.”

On hooking up with Ariana Grande and being friends first: “We started as friends,” he says. “I’d never done that. Usually you meet a girl and then start dating. We always saw each other in the studio, and we’d talk about songs we were working on. It was cool to have a girl that I could talk to about my problems. I did that with her. It’s not some fake-ass, inauthentic shit when I say we were friends. This is something special and I appreciate every moment of it.” But what about the pressures that come from dating another celebrity? Finding time to see each other? Having your love life in the news? “I don’t think about it like that,” Sean says. “You can’t be afraid, because when you’re afraid you don’t give it your all.”

Read up his full feature here.

Photo Credit: Complex Magazine

1. lol

January 28, 2015 at 8:53 pm

so cute. Shows you that it isn’t all about physical appearance but whats inside.

2. mtchewwwww

January 29, 2015 at 4:05 am

Ariana is an over-sexualized barely legal pop star. She needs to slow down before she loses herself. Big Sean, you ain’t a saint so don’t try to make Naya appear crazy or vindictive. You both did ish ppl shouldn’t do, so own your mess (and she needs to own her own mess too). As far as stealing her Rolex, we’ve seen millionaires shoplift so using I have many Rolex ain’t no excuse. Besides, we know how immature some people can be during break up- some people go take the most meaningless ish just to spite their ex! So this your answer get K leg. E be like say you are trying hard to appear cool and mature but it’s like u “borrowed” the Rolex to spite her just like it’s likely she dey yab that story to spite you. One second you ppl will be lovey dovey in the media and the next moment, una go tell the world otherwise. If you are enjoying your relationship with Ariana so much, then it’s time to stop answering questions about your ex. She don marry and u have a gf so get it together.

• Bella

January 29, 2015 at 12:09 pm

don’t like people who trash each other up when they break up, that song I Don’t give a F …is a hot ass mess and stupid AF, we all know whom he talking about. Now he is dating a child! Moving right along! Adrianna If I was you id be wary of a man who sings such about an ex! Your next!

3. Wowza

January 29, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Mehn you guys are so freaking hateful especially you mstchew! How the heck do you know what he did and did not do in the relationship?! Big Sean has been respectful to Naya but does that mean he has to keep quiet when she called him a thief and can you not read? He never said he had many rolexes, he said he has the receipts for every Rolex in his possession. And Ariana is a grown woman she is 21!

He made that song while with Naya, blame Kanye and Jay-Z for advicing him to capitalize on it when they broke up. The dude did not even want to release it. I think he and Ariana are cute and I wish them the best. In addition he is not hateful or spiteful, have you seen the lovely song called Ashley which he made about his ex? It is very sweet…he is a good guy. I don’t even like his music but when he talks in interviews you can see it. I am really rooting for him and Ariana…

• mtchewwwww

January 29, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Their lives are on social media (which is their put am by choice), so what’s so hateful about pointing out facts? I don tire for u stans who jump on everyone who no share your views. Biko what is so hateful about my comment? Get real jare. He and Naya have thrown jabs st each other so no allow your Big Sean infatuation to make you lose your sense of honesty. Also, try to understand what the barely legal reference means before u start ranting. She was sexualized even before she knack adulthood so park well with your teaching and carry on with your cheerleading. Mtcheewww.

• wowza

January 29, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Lol. You come across as very unreasonable. You said he did ish which he was not owning up to, how the heck is that a fact when you were not in his relationship? Neither of them is yet to publicly speak on what ended it all so how can you claim they are not owning it? And the fact that I called you out does not mean I am a stan, I don’t have even own one song of Big Sean’s and I don’t follow his career so how can you just assume I am a stan and infatuated for calling out your post? I don’t have to be a stan to call you out, the fact that you think that way is myopic…

BTW Ariana has been making music for about 2 years before that she was on Disney, the chick is 21 and she became an adult at the age of 18 so do the math. She only started getting sexy with her second album which came out in 2014, she was not sexy while on Disney or for her first album. Look up the Aunty gimme cake type of dresses she was wearing last year to perform before her second album came out. The fact that she looks young does not mean she is…people like Beyoncé have been dressing sexy since they were 16 but u keep quiet for that one na this girl you wan finish. It is not her fault that she looks so young. Do you want her to stay on Disney forever because of that? Abeg free them…

4. mtchewwwww

January 29, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Which is where they put am by choice.

5. Tade

January 30, 2015 at 2:18 am

Bacareful with black girls heheheh brodas will not listen until you are made to pay all your life wedding ring is the smallest handcuff in the world women want it for a reason.

6. mtchewwwww

January 30, 2015 at 10:50 pm

And you are still sounding like a delusional and ignorant stan. With the way you dey vex, person go think say I accused them of being murderers. Why are you so pained? Chillax jare. I didn’t say a word about what caused their breakup so stop making things up. I don’t need to be in their relationship (and didn’t claim to be) to know they both did ish they shouldn’t have done because they are putting it out there for people to see. Both are busy highlighting what the other one did wrong and making accusations. Big Sean released a track called IDFWU and trashed Naya in it, Naya don accuse him of being a jewelry thief and both have accused the other of being dramatic and so on, so how is that owning their mess? Mtcheww. Sure he wrote part of the song when they were together but you forgot to mention that he admitted to making additions to the song after their breakup (including the part he addressed her as a crazy b*tch*), so what’s your point again? As for Ariana, she started dressing much older and wearing matured makeup way before she became adult, so please don’t deflate the fact by bringing Beyonce into matter way no concern her. You are reaching too much! And oga comment patrol officer: Ariana was on Nickelodeon not Disney channel and her music career started in 2011 on Victorious; so you need to shun yourself for failing at your own argument lmao. I can’t make sense out of your nonsense, so carry your headache and waka.

• Wow

April 21, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Foolish nonsense

• Wow

April 21, 2015 at 6:47 pm

You really are dumb I swear. Other than the thiefing comment from Naya NEITHER HAS SPOKEN ABOUT THE RL. You sound dumb as hell. Ariana was on Victorious dressing and acting like a kid in 2011 and that makes her 18 years old. Her musical career started in 2013 at age 20 so how the heck was she sexualized as a child? Go and get lost and stop spewing trash. And yes you don’t have to be in Naya and Sean’s relationship but both parties have to talk for you to spew your jargons as facts as opposed to opinions. Have a seat abeg.

7. concerned

January 30, 2015 at 11:29 pm

@mtchewwwww Biko, take a deep breath. Not worth a heart attack.
    I always thought he was referring to Naya on IDFWU. I thought it was immature. People take subliminal shots at their exes all the time but I think people who go as far as writing songs to diss their exes (Hi, TSwift) need to get out of high school and into the real world. As for Arianna, I heard the diva stories. Hopefully they’re not true. Ah well, who cares if they are? Its Sean’s cross to bear. I’m done rambling, so bye.

• mtchewwwww

February 1, 2015 at 3:59 pm

Biko go and take your meds 🙂

8. Biola

January 31, 2015 at 1:34 am

How can such a talented dude continue to release whack ass music? We’ve heard enough about him and his love life but it’ll be great to hear GOOD MUSIC from him. It’s been a minute since he put out a hot record and I’m getting tired of waiting. On a totally different note: the second pic up there is quite creepy and gross and it gave me goose bumps argggh.