Style

“Taboo” – View iamISIGO’s Tribal Spring/Summer 2015 Collection Lookbook

iamISIGO Taboo Collection - Bellanaija - January2015019

It’s a brand new year, and you know what that means – brand new collections and lookbooks to give you your daily dose of fashion!

Today we are happy to bring you the Spring/Summer 2015 collection lookbook from Nigerian womenswear fashion label, iamISIGO, titled “Taboo“.

The collection first comes off as a primitive-themed creative, and gathers its inspiration from the ‘Wodaabe‘ – a nomadic Fulani group in the Sahel. Known as the ‘People of the Taboo’, their culture and traditional attire heralds beauty and sexual freedom.

The fashion brand, owned by Bubu Ogisi, pays homage to certain aspect of the Wodaabe people and their culture – from the years of silence taken by married couples after the birth of their first child, to the ‘Yaakye’ festival where the men’s songs and dances for the women are rewarded with a show of sexual prowess.

According tot he brand, the Taboo collection does not draw inspiration from the Wodaabe alone; but also from the contrast it provides other cultures in what they see as a taboo.

The collection plays off a range of colours – from navy blue, beige, indigo, army green and black, the pieces made of crinkled taffeta, elastane, knitted metallic fibres, tape lace, needle lace and Gabardine to create skouzers, ponchos, skorts, bomber jackets and more.

The collection was first unveiled at the GTBank Lagos Fashion & Design Week 2014. Click here if you missed it. View the collection lookbook below;

iamISIGO Taboo Collection - Bellanaija - January2015004 iamISIGO Taboo Collection - Bellanaija - January2015003 iamISIGO Taboo Collection - Bellanaija - January2015002 iamISIGO Taboo Collection - Bellanaija - January2015001 iamISIGO Taboo Collection - Bellanaija - January2015012 iamISIGO Taboo Collection - Bellanaija - January2015010 iamISIGO Taboo Collection - Bellanaija - January2015016 iamISIGO Taboo Collection - Bellanaija - January2015009 iamISIGO Taboo Collection - Bellanaija - January2015013 iamISIGO Taboo Collection - Bellanaija - January2015014 iamISIGO Taboo Collection - Bellanaija - January2015011 iamISIGO Taboo Collection - Bellanaija - January2015006 iamISIGO Taboo Collection - Bellanaija - January2015007 iamISIGO Taboo Collection - Bellanaija - January2015008 iamISIGO Taboo Collection - Bellanaija - January2015005 iamISIGO Taboo Collection - Bellanaija - January2015023 iamISIGO Taboo Collection - Bellanaija - January2015022 iamISIGO Taboo Collection - Bellanaija - January2015018 iamISIGO Taboo Collection - Bellanaija - January2015020 iamISIGO Taboo Collection - Bellanaija - January2015021 iamISIGO Taboo Collection - Bellanaija - January2015015 iamISIGO Taboo Collection - Bellanaija - January2015024

Photo Credit
Photography: Lakin Ogunbanwo
Makeup: D’artiste by Dodos
Creative Direction and Styling: Bubu Ogisi for BOFC
Models: Cynthia I. and Cynthia O.

1. thatikwerrebabe

January 14, 2015 at 10:56 am

One word – Lipsealed

2. mockingbird

January 14, 2015 at 11:06 am

These outfits are really taboos *spits*. because a mad woman would be seen walking the streets of lagos in these..well,i guess she has her “crowd” . what do i know .But heck NO for me.

3. kenitola

January 14, 2015 at 11:29 am

this is really a taboo for me o. lol

4. Yayi Boni

January 14, 2015 at 11:51 am

What on earth is this?? What is this?? Beside these girls are to sticky.. Eat , Eat, Eat..
    The style is horrible.. with a big H……Jesus…

• chichi

January 23, 2015 at 2:52 pm

im sorry then you guys must realy not know what fashion is. It is not about a trend but those who make the trends. the creativity in this is beautiful, as this collection is obviously using inspiration from nigerias latest issues, such as the MISSING CHIBOK GIRLS, and the bombing of the north

5. FEEEZ

January 14, 2015 at 12:15 pm

This is indeed a taboo…..mehn.

6. resiliently-me

January 14, 2015 at 12:56 pm

Really Taboo

7. Anon

January 14, 2015 at 1:13 pm

The blue coloured ones only.

8. benny

January 14, 2015 at 1:56 pm

Bubu Ogisi and her *cool kid – too deep for you to understand* delusions… *sigh*

• Dee

January 14, 2015 at 9:47 pm

You just got it.

I like the girl. She styles herself damn well but her designs though! Always literally too deep for the viewing public. And they just leave you wondering if non-eccentrics can wear them.

Bubu you need to bring it down. Just a notch. Except of course, you have your target clientele and they’re happy. And you’re happy.
      In that case, you do you. Bye.

9. Priscy

January 14, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Hmmmm…wat is dis biko?

10. Eileen

January 14, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Must their boobs be outside b4 d designer passes a message across..

11. Goldfish

January 14, 2015 at 2:23 pm

Well named……. Really looks like a taboo.

12. David Nwachukwu

January 14, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Na wa for you Bellanaijarians that can’t see beyond lace and chiffon. Bubu this collection is beautiful. I love your thought process and how the pieces can easily be worn as separates. Well done dear.

• @emunahcollection

January 14, 2015 at 9:50 pm

@David Nwachukwu, you took the words out of my mouth. Nigerians don’t know much about fashion but they think they do, that’s why even red carpet pictures of Nigerian celebrities always look tacky, very few folks knows what fashion is and how to pull it off. This collection is very beautiful, infact I’m impressed. Nigerian designers are coming up.

13. rita

January 14, 2015 at 5:43 pm

the collection as a whole has a great theme but I am confused on where we should wear all this over-sized garment to. I get bubu style but its getting redundant, same baggy, free for all fit style. we need something young and fresh let other ppl shop bubu to na!

• Marc Francis of Chelsea

January 15, 2015 at 12:03 am

Try Topshop.

Fabulous pieces. I applaud your creativity.

14. nene

January 14, 2015 at 5:52 pm

biko who is going to buy these clothes? smh.

15. bibi

January 14, 2015 at 10:40 pm

Some collections are for style.com not Bellanaija. Some audiences just understand skirt and blouse ankara pieces. Not that thats bad its just an audience that doesn’t understand this style of fashion.

I love the color palette a lot and the photography is well put together.

16. Kezi

January 15, 2015 at 6:46 am

I liked the collection. Though not my favorite from her. Beautiful use of color and asymetric draping. It started to get repetitive :but some ideas such as that fringed cape/blazer show that she is trying not just to emulate but to innovate. When you push the envelope you will end up with some stuff that are initially hard to digest. I think Nigerian fashion has room for the more commercially-minded/wider appealing designers such as Ituen Basi etc as well as more cerebral
    types like Maki Oh’s Amaka Osakwe. Both hands wash the other. If you take away the “eccentrics” from the mix, you lose the art that makes the commerce possible. Then we’re back to just an industry of tailors sewing from catalogue pictures. That is NOT fashion.

I disagree with anybody that says this does not belong on Bella Naija. I give Nigerians more credit than that. When confounded with something weird or unfamiliar, there are those that will dismiss it outright and then there are a few who are intrigued and will try to understand where the creative is coming from.

I am a designer myself. There are pieces and collections that I create with the end customers in mind but there are things I create to challenge myself or simply because I find it interesting. When you look at a collection strictly on the basis of whether or where you wear it to, you are missing out on fully appreciating it. Does it grab your imagination? Do you see the story the designer is trying to tell? Is there a recurring theme or design lines carried throughout the collection? For a few minutes suspend your judgement or set of criteria that is based on the familiar.

• David Nwachukwu

January 16, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Omg can we be friends? I live for comments like this on BN! I am quoting you on my blog this weekend I am quoting you on my blog this weekend if you don’t mind.

17. Speaking

January 15, 2015 at 7:06 am

All these Nigerian fashion designers aka “creatives” forming eclectic.. I need y’all to have several seats..” OrangeNerd” you too!

18. Miz behave

January 15, 2015 at 9:16 am

This is just wrong on every level! ah!

19. rocky

January 15, 2015 at 10:06 am

there is nothing attractive in the clothing to me .. bt d shoe look nice

20. mimi

January 15, 2015 at 10:59 am

Y’all yapping over here need to chill out and free your myopic minds! This is creativity! And I mean in totality! It is not about if you can wear it on the red carpet or to a party. It is the concept behind it: a free minded being who has found his true identity and has refused to conform to a norm/pattern and is not shy to show the world. People may frown at and disapprove such, hence the name Taboo! This is real art. Well that’s really not for shallow minds so I may try to understand your comments. Great job Bubu Ogisi! I may not be able to wear some of them cos they’re not entirely my style, but great job!

21. benny

January 15, 2015 at 11:39 am

When Deola Sagoe showcased her collection, we praised her artistry. When Jewel by Lisa did; we weren’t too fond of it. These same insults surfaced when we expressed our displeasure at JBL.
    we critique cos we know. Do you really think we only know tailor-shop clothes simply because we don’t like Bubu Ogisi’s collection?
    I don’t like it. The desperation to b seen as “deep”, artistic, et al pushes Bubu Ogisi to a place that is usually utterly ridiculous. Stop it ma’am

22. uju

January 15, 2015 at 2:53 pm

mba mba mba….this wee not werk…i tried to look through again and understand where the creativity you’re talking about lie and i didn’t find it oo….some pieces like the blue and purple are ok but the rest …SMH…i believe you can do much better sha….also is it me or these models look like kids to me

23. ghnikki

January 15, 2015 at 3:03 pm

the cuts are nice. Very fashion forward designs. but very few pieces id actually wear.

24. shalz

January 15, 2015 at 3:07 pm

The photography and the models!! Too hot!!

25. tunmi

January 15, 2015 at 4:27 pm

It’s going to take a confident person who truly knows and understands his/her body to pull this off. The collection is beautiful and should be done justice.

26. zillion

January 15, 2015 at 5:06 pm

I don’t understand most of the comments; as there are only about 3 pieces here that ACTUALLY depicts “Taboo”. The rest are very WEARABLE, imposing, eccentric, avant grade pieces that a stylish person can and will rock any-day-It takes a very stylish person to understand and appreciate. The same people that complain about nigerian designers being too repetitive with their designs are the same that complain when they see something new.
    P.s “Baggi” is in vogue

I would BUY most of these pieces for my girlfriend.

27. Iyabo

January 21, 2015 at 11:08 am

this is a fantastic collection. It shows thought and creativity. This is the direction for indigenous designers. You are on the right track…keep going…well done

28. Ellajonnez

January 22, 2015 at 10:31 pm

Just don’t understand the styles and concept thanks

29. Chika

January 29, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Loved the photographs. To those hating on the haters of the collection, that’s unnecessary. A woman knows her own body and how she’d like to be seen/styled. Part of putting out a line in the fashion industry is still marketability, no? If the designer intended this line for the Nigerian woman, she ought to have reined it in a bit. Mixing the eclectic with the wearable. Some of the separates have potential to be marketable. I love her creativity. It is a job well done, but perhaps not for the everyday Naija woman?