Style

Grab Your Notepads! Check Out 5 Steps to Take Before You Go Natural

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? So it seems like the entire world is going natural but you. Maybe you’ve tried to go natural in the past but just couldn’t figure the natural thing out. Perhaps you’re a long time natural who isn’t comfortable wearing your hair out, or you just don’t know what to do with the hair.

See the thing is, before you make any decision in life, no matter how big or small the decision is, you’ll need to first plan how you’re going to go about it. This means that prior to taking the natural hair plunge, you need to take some necessary steps so your natural hair journey will be smooth sailing.

So, if you’re thinking of going natural and haven’t been able to figure out how, here are 5 steps to take before you join the #TeamNatural Community.

1. Decide on how you want to go natural
Will you head to the barbers and have the big chop (cut your hair off)? Would you transition for a short period of time before cutting the relaxed part of your hair off? Or are you only comfortable with the gradual stages of long term transitioning where you take off a few inches at a time?

Whichever route you end up taking in the end, be sure it’s what you are most comfortable with. For more information and the pros and cons on 3 ways to go natural, click here.

2. Read about natural hair & its care
The natural hair community is so large that things can get overwhelming.

So to start, I recommend reading “The Science of Black Hair” and “Hair story: Untangling the Roots of Black Hair in America“.  The first book talks about how to maintain all textures of Black hair, while the other book talks about the history of our hair. I love the second book because it opened my eyes to the root causes of the hair controversies that we often hear about. These two books are a holy grail for every Black person, regardless of their hair texture, age or gender. So I recommend that you read them.

3. Be part of a community
What makes the internet awesome is that you can find online communities of people who shares similar interests with you. So even though you might be the only natural in your area and you’re starting to feel alone and discouraged, all you have to do is find an online community of Naturals who are always available to share their wealth of hair knowledge with you.

An online community that I’m actively involved in is “Natural Hair Babes.” It’s a Facebook group with over a hundred thousand naturals, who seems to be mostly Nigerians. With that many naturals, you can be sure to find at least one other person who lives in your area or close to you, who could recommend a salon or store that caters to natural hair.

To ensure that you get the best response to your questions on that or any platform, make sure you provide as much detail about your hair and lifestyle so you won’t end up with follow-up questions to your original question. But when it comes to asking a pressing question,  instead of going on and on about your struggle with your hair, it is better to ask  targeted and succinct questions. For example: How do I get soft hair? What is the best conditioner for 4c hair? My hair is shedding, how do I reduce the rate? This will ensure that you get targeted and succinct answers.

4. Go shopping
This is where the fun begins! I mean, who doesn’t like to shop? Now, I’m not trying to tell you to go spend money on things you don’t need; all I’m saying is that your new hair texture will require products and tools to help maintain it. To start, you’ll need coily hair friendly products and tools such as a good bottle of conditioner, shampoo, oils, shea butter, a large tooth shower comb, cute hair accessories, hair clips, and bobby pins. This list isn’t exhaustive,  but it’s enough to get you started.

5. Just do it
Get ready, set, GO! Now the action begins! Now that you’ve read all you can about natural hair and have seen hundreds of pictures online on natural hairstyles, it’s time for you to go and try these styles out yourself. Do you have a list of DIY (Do-It-Yourself) mixes that you’d like to try someday? Why not try one of them this weekend? Don’t know how to get the best twist out? Keep trying until you’re satisfied with your result.

Remember that no matter what decision you make in life, you have to put in the required effort to be successful at it.

Now that you know the steps that you should take before you go natural, you can now go and plan out your natural hair journey. I hope you put everything into practice and I’ll see you on the other side!

Photo Credit: Dreamstime/Sam74100

Hi, my name is Adeola, I'm a natural hair blogger who is passionate about helping YOU to achieve your hair goals, whether it be to have longer hair, softer hair or a healthy head of hair in general. I know what it’s like to be clueless about natural hair, and this is why I’m here to help you create a practical hair care routine that will give you softer hair that is less painful to comb, easier to manage and that can grow long. To get these practical tips, VISIT my WEBSITE to DOWNLOAD MY FREE E-BOOK.

1. ilaugh

March 16, 2015 at 11:50 am

Thank God my hair is relaxed. 🙂 Naturally relaxed.

• irene

March 17, 2015 at 5:07 am

Ladies! Ladies! there are two issues here of which we should be concerned. First, our Health; Chemically processing our hair with a product that is literally liquid draino, can cause a lot of harm internally as well as externally. The choice is yours! Secondly, many products are NOT designed to help your hair challenges – just for monetary gains. The choice is yours! Seek out products that are not engaging with flashy labeling and with misleading ingredients. Although it may be quite difficult, it is possible to find nature-friendly products. Be an Educated Consumer.
      Most often the people that present themselves as giving hair advice have absolutely no training in Cosmetology or the Hairdressing Trade.

2. jefka

March 16, 2015 at 11:52 am

i went straight to the barbers and did the big chop.
    i am not using anything……just letting my hair grow with the normal soul mate hair cream.
    and it is amazing, careful about communities though…….just go easy with buying products else you will find yourself spending crazy and not getting desired results.

3. MC

March 16, 2015 at 12:33 pm

LMAOOOOO It really isn’t this deep!
    Just cut your hair off and make sure it’s moisturised.

4. foxyb

March 16, 2015 at 3:30 pm

Also please make sure you have the looks for it! Afro doesn’t suit everyone. Just saying ….

• MC

March 16, 2015 at 4:41 pm

Even though it is their God given hair?? something they were born with??
      But let me guess, weaves suits everyone?
      NOTHING SUITS YOU MORE THAN WHAT IS YOURS!

• natu

March 16, 2015 at 6:12 pm

@MC preach it to these deluded black women.

5. shannie

March 16, 2015 at 4:35 pm

I am transitioning to natural. My last perm was about a year ago and my hair has been permed since I was nine years old. Right now, some of my real hair is natural, some of it is permed, so I’m hoping that in another year to year and a half it will be all natural. Watching all these youtubers with long beautiful natural hair has opened my eyes and I just really want to embrace the hair that God created me with. Your hair is your beauty and I intend to cherish mine.

• MC

March 16, 2015 at 4:43 pm

It wont go completely natural unless you cut the relaxed ends off (when you are ready to).
      However, having two textures makes it easier for the hair to break.

• ATL's finest

March 17, 2015 at 11:40 am

@ Shannie god luck to U.. I transited way back, naturally, my hair grows very fast, I barely braid because one string of my hair is about 6-7″ inches especially the middle & the back. However, when u get to the point of handling, its d best.. From products like Castro oil, coconut oil, natural home remedy from Pinterest, I’m good to go,. I’m not showing off but folks LOVE my hair

6. Oyi

March 16, 2015 at 6:01 pm

Love this article especially the point about being part of a community. This really helped when I first went natural because there was so much information that seemed a bit confusing. I also agree with the author’s statement, ‘no matter what decision you make in life, you have to put in the required effort to be successful at it’.
    oyimesmusings.blogspot.com

• Adeola @ coilsandglory

March 17, 2015 at 5:10 pm

Thanks for the kind words Oyi. Being part of a community is very crucial and yes, we have to put in the effort for our hair to look nice and healthy.
      Adeola

7. Gurrrl

March 16, 2015 at 6:03 pm

Personally, I couldn’t rock team natural even if I wanted to. Believe me, I tried. Two years ago, I literally scrapped off all my relaxed hair and started the natural journey. I nearly ran mad. For some reason, my scalp became so itchy and I had terrible headaches. And I didn’t look good at all.
    Long story short, I’m back to permed hair, growth is better and none of that itchiness. Except when my hair is ‘due’ for a retouch.
    My point is, it’s not for everybody. Relaxers were made for a reason!

• natu

March 16, 2015 at 6:14 pm

@gurrrl so sad that you feel that way about you God given hair.

8. Gurrl

March 16, 2015 at 6:49 pm

Oh for heaven’s sake, it’s not about feeling bad about your looks. In my case, it wasn’t even about the looks. I had insane headaches that I still experience when I start getting undergrowth. Am I supposed to bear all that discomfort because na wetin God give me?
    Point again is, we can not and should not try to make women feel bad about the choices they make about their looks(hair)
    We cannot all be team natural

• Nicole

March 16, 2015 at 7:21 pm

Sorry to say, but your excuses are flimsy. Taking care of your natural hair gave you headaches and what would relaxer give you? Growth?.. Oh so having alopecia and thinning unhealthy hair is better. I believe in respecting people’s personal grooming choices, but stop with the silly excuses. How can the natural hair that God gave you not be for you? You simply dont like the way it looks and you cant be bothered to go through the hassle. Not your fault though,you were taught to do so…..

• MC

March 16, 2015 at 8:50 pm

Actually, you said “And I didn’t look good at all”

You (and everybody else) can do whatever you choose to do with your hair…its yours!
      But silly reasons LMAOOO come on man! You get headaches when your hair is growing!?!
      Just growing??

• Adeola @ coilsandglory

March 17, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Hi Gurrl.
      Yes, we are all #teamnatural, and that includes relaxed ladies.
      I’d like to know why your new growth was painful. Please fill out the contact form on my site to reach out to me 🙂
      coilsandglory.com

• Gurrrl

March 17, 2015 at 9:20 pm

Thank you so much for reaching out to me. That’s what I expected from the other naturalistas who referred to my predicament as ‘flimsy’ and ‘silly’. It’s that superior and condescending attitude I can’t stand. So much for supporting fellow black women.
      Anyways love, I’m on my way to your website right now. 😀

9. Calabar Gal

March 16, 2015 at 6:54 pm

I have been part of Team Natural for almost 18 months now but I must confess, mine has been mostly protective styling. I admire ladies who let their hair out in Afros, twist outs and all what not. My liver has not reached that level yet – thank you very much. Well, my excuse is that I do not have time in the morning for any sort of styling – its mostly a fire brigade approach for me almost every monring so protective styling just about helps me get out of the house on time.

Thanks to all the products available today, My hair is actually extremely soft and I do not have any problems combing it out thanks to all the easy combing and texturizing hair products out there. I remember combing my hair as a child was an ordeal but these days, I marvel at the ease and effortless ease of combing out my hair.

My hair routine constitutes mostly washing every other week (except when I have braids on) but my hair is healthier now and no longer breaking. Jump on the bandwagon if you are brave enough but remember – I am “Team Protective Styling” all the way. (smile)

• Adeola @ coilsandglory

March 17, 2015 at 5:15 pm

Hi Calabar Gal.
      thanks for visiting my site, i love your comment! I can tell that your hair is probably still at the “awkward stage” that requires constant styling. For me, I simply wore a lot of afro puffs and twist outs which lasted me a whole week. Please check out this post for 7 hairstyles for short hairstyles.
      coilsandglory.com/spice-up-your-twa-with-these-7-natural-hairstyles/

10. pj

March 17, 2015 at 9:56 am

How can you all be condemning the gurrrl cos she said she couldn’t go natural, I always tell people “for the fact that you are doing something or that you believe in something does not make it right. When my hair is due I have crazy headaches, I feel so uncomfy until I perm it, I want to go natural soon and I keep thinking how will I comb my hair. I guess by the time I read all the DIY I will solve that.
    But stop criticizing someone just because she is not going natural: bald, natural, weave, wig, we are all beautiful. Whatever works for you. please stick by it.

• MC

March 17, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Rule 1: Natural hair should not be combed in its natural state. (That’s why it hurts!).

• Adeola @ coilsandglory

March 17, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Hi Pj.
      the only reason why natural hair is painful is that many don’t treat their hair well. Combing your hair shouldn’t be painful. Unless you’re tender headed.
      For anyone that’s looking for ways to ease the pain of combing your coily hair, please read this post and make sure you watch the video at the end of the post
      coilsandglory.com/comb-natural-hair/

11. shepi

March 17, 2015 at 10:54 am

My hair is fully natural now, I transitioned into it, bcoz I didn’t want to be on low cut. I trimmed the relaxed tips after every wash. It wasn’t easy maintaining 2 different texture of hair (i.e. relaxed/natural) as there were times when I was discourage and felt I couldn’t continue. However, I learnt that conditioning (deep conditioners, leave-in conditioner or what ever form the come in) makes it easier, as well as detanglers and softening products e. g Shea butter and for some people texturizers. Its been a beautiful journey and I absolutely love my hair now.

• Adeola @ coilsandglory

March 17, 2015 at 5:19 pm

Yes, conditioners should be every Natural’s favourite product!

12. NSG

March 18, 2015 at 12:01 am

natural hair is not for poor Nigerians..

nsg

13. Dunsin

August 15, 2015 at 7:23 am

i disagree. natural hair is for everyone and not for the rich alone. it just like clothes. people that have the money go for luxury hair pdts and people that are rich in their own way buy products according to their pocket and mix up ingredients in kitchen for hair. I’m a student that loves everything that screams “POCKET FRIENDLY” I keep everything simple. what i use for my hair are:
    water
    conditioner that goes for 500naira,vo5
    sulphate-free shampoo
    coconut oil extracted by me frm 3 large coconuts
    olive oil.
    palmoil in the kitchen
    organic hair mayonnaise dt goes for just 800naira (the most expensive pdt among my staples though i use products that cost more)
    shea butter of 200naira
    glycerine of 100naira
    Those are my basics. I use other products and that’s whenever i have awoof money like leftover money from a school project i did or extra pocket money.