News

Special Adviser to the President on Ethics & Moral Values: Indecent Dressing is a Cause of Rape

NAN

Sarah Jibril

Sarah Jibril

Sarah Jibril, the Special Adviser to the President on Ethics and Moral Values, on Monday warned that indecent dressing by ladies was an open invitation to assault or even rape.

Jibril gave this warning in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja.

She said that dressing indecently and in a sexually suggestive mode brings dishonour to those concerned.

She blamed the scourge of indecent dressing on poor parenting, peer pressure, wrong use of the Internet, fading values as well as demonic influence, among others.

Jibril said that the negative consequences of dressing indecently include rape, prostitution, armed robbery, lying, poor school grades, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases.

She advised parents to be good moral examples to their children, adding that they should also give their children attention and regulate the films they watch at home.

“Parents should monitor their children even though some of them try to dress decently at homes but when they go back to school especially those in the high institutions, they dress indecently. Parents, therefore, should monitor their children by ensuring that the clothing they take to school were properly checked and ensure that you ask your children questions and be close to them.

Parents should not be too harsh or too strict to avoid scaring them away and anything that concerns them should not be taken for granted. Show them love and mentor them; more importantly, always pray for them for God’s guidance and direction.

Our religious leaders should always preach against indecent dressing. Such dressing is not African culture. We go round the states preaching to our youths telling them to be mindful of the kind of cloth they wear,” Jibril said.

She further stated that her office was collaborating with relevant security agencies on the issue,  adding that the essence of the partnership was to ensure that those who dress indecently are corrected by the agency.

1. bruno

March 24, 2015 at 8:29 am

Outrage in 3….2….1….GO

• smh

March 24, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Stupid statement by an equally stupid woman clearly. Look at the stupid title they even gave her. She doesn’t deserve a write up on why this statement is wrong on so many levels.

• D Main Man

March 24, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Like i said on the earlier post of the WOMAN LEADER, catholic women organization, where she said that indecent dressing encourages rape and i believe its so true even if its 12% causative. RIDE ON SA TO PRESIDENT JONA. whether its on Toilet roll distribution or ASO ROCK repainting she has achieve something for herself.

2. chy

March 24, 2015 at 8:41 am

hmm, we don hear ma. how about telling men to educate their sons that no matter how indecently dressed a woman is, its not his right to rape her, that rape is a crime just like stealing and committing murder. The fact we tell our children especially boys not to steal, we should also tell them not to rape. A woman’s, girl’s body belongs to her, until she give you consent to touch it, you have no right to touch or go further to violate it. Men need to be enlightened and women need to be protected and taught how to protect themselves in proactive means eg taekwando etc. how about not dumping all blame on the door post of women; doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do out part.

3. Bleed Blue

March 24, 2015 at 8:45 am

Madam Jubril, indecent dressing (which is such a relative term by the way) may not be appropriate, but please address it as a standalone issue. Tell women not to dress indecently for their own personal standards. End of.

These statements are subliminal justifications for the mentally unstable predators who rape women.

This is why majority of rape cases don’t get reported; this stigma attached to it plus the inevitable victim blaming. Why are we women our own worst enemies?

The cursed bastards that raped me when I was 5…5 bleeping years old! They were aroused by my mini skirt showing my bootylicious backside and halterneck top displaying my double-D breasts abi?

Almost weekly, I hear of a little girl who’s been raped. Do we attribute it to indecent dressing? The men who rape are vile beasts who cannot control themselves and deserve to be castrated, whether or not you found the woman completely naked. If she didn’t want your pen*s inside her, and you forced it in, then may you suffer till the end of your days.

Madam Jubril, please by all means give advice to women, BUT DO NOT JUSTIFY RAPE!

Jeez now I’m crying. Pscheeeeew! 🙁

• Mz Socially Awkward...

March 24, 2015 at 11:12 am

Bleedblue, I am spitting mad at this ignorant human being. Indecent dressing is not African culture, ehn kwa? IS RAPE AFRICAN CULTURE????????????????????? MADAM JUBRIL, IS IT????????????????????????????????????????????????

For the love of all things good and righteous, why are we not carting these people into nursing homes instead of letting them continue to occupy positions of power? I mean, this one for instance is clearly at an age where rational thinking has departed from her abilities and shouldn’t be allowed to run around to share her ignorance. And let no acolyte tell me to “respect my elders”: respecting our elders got us into much of the nonsense our society is inflicted with today and she should have respected her own damn self first of all before spewing this idiocy.

When grown ass females put out statements like this, they are STRENGHTENING the position which says that “Rape is okay”. Rape is okay because she did [fill in the blank]. Rape is allowed when it can be proven that she wore [fill in the blank]. Rape has been accepted as a permissible outcome whenever women are shown to act like [fill in the blank]. Can’t women like these see how damaging this becomes???? YOU ARE EMPOWERING ANIMALS. WHY?????????

• Bleed Blue

March 24, 2015 at 1:51 pm

Mz SA.

As in ehn…the woman just tire me. The ignorance is abundant. How can we educate her biko?

• D

March 24, 2015 at 2:45 pm

Did you really say position of power??? Can’t you see this is just a made up position for someone who is sure not educated to make some money because she knows Mr. President. Really what country has Special adviser for “Moral and ethics?” Just lame!!!!and then she made it worse by showing off her ignorance by spewing garbage….When will we learn Nigeria??? When??? even if they gave you lame a*** position you don’t have to talk every time you see a microphone, we are fully aware that it is for you to make some money but don’t use that platform to embarrass us as a nation. Golly!!!, to think just a few days I was thinking that at least we are better than India on the issue of rape but Noooo, we are not!!! Statements like this made by women makes me realize we are worse at least the ones that made comments like this in India were men who were thinking with nothing but the instrument on their anterior anatomy. Rubbish!!!!….

On the other hand…@ Bleed blue, words do not come close to being enough not just for you but to any woman, child (male or female) who have had to endure what you did. All I can say is I said a short prayer for you.

• ada nnewi

March 24, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Big Hugs for you my darling! Don’t mind the woman!

4. TK

March 24, 2015 at 8:45 am

From Presidential Candidate to Special Adviser to the President on Ethics and Moral Values..??? There’s such a job??

• S!

March 24, 2015 at 10:33 am

How would Nigeria move forward when such archaic woman is advising Mr. President?
      Vote for Change my ppl!

• Mrs aao

March 24, 2015 at 11:27 am

Ko ye mi o

5. me

March 24, 2015 at 8:46 am

African culture kee. Hmmm lets see; the leaves that barely covered people?
    QUIT justifying rape. STOP!
    You know in the same vein I can say wicked people deserve death, but oh well.

6. Feminista Jones

March 24, 2015 at 8:49 am

Well, this is a load of horse crap.

That I cook rice does not mean everyone is obligated to eat.

Because one dresses provocatively does not mean she deserves to be raped.

What kind of message are we sending?

That it is okay to steal simply because someone forgot to lock their door?

That is okay to rape a girl because her hemline was too low?

Mrs Sarah Jubril, If we are so “moral” why don’t we teach boys that rape is not okay, so they do not grow up and prey on women like mere objects to be used to their satisfaction..

Teach men that women are people-not animals- and they do not have the authority to violate women just because they cannot control their savagery.

Teaching women to be “prevent rape” by covering their entire bodies will not stop the problem. Just ask our Muslim sisters in Arab countries who cover their entire bodies yet men (even their husbands) rape them without a second thought.

Instead of sending a message that oppresses women into believing that rape is their faults because of the way they wear their hair, or dress, or put on their make-up instead let us stand for the message that rape is wrong.

Talk to boys and men alike that it is not okay to violate another person’s body without their permission.

Enlighten women to stand up against rape and teach them not to suppress their voices for any reason.

Women, your body is YOURS and nobody has a right to dictate what to do with it.

Enough is enough!

7. Me @ home

March 24, 2015 at 8:56 am

What kind of nonsense is this?! And this woman is a special adviser to the president??? We just keep regressing in this country. Smh

8. iJo

March 24, 2015 at 8:57 am

I’m hoping this news is incomplete. It would be better if other causes of rape are mentioned alongside “indecent dressing”. It is wrong to always focus on “causes” that turn the blame for such a hideous and irresponsible act on the victim! My sister was raped at the age of 5 in my parents’ church. She was just a kid wearing a long Cele gown! Was this caused by indecent dressing???! I will never understand why we cannot be objective about these things. There are perverted minds everywhere. There are other reasons for rape. My opinion is RAPE IS NOT RIGHT AND IS NOT CAUSED!

• Nahum

March 24, 2015 at 9:44 am

Oh no!!! I hope your sister is ok. I also hope your family has gotten her some sort of help to deal with the trauma. I am so sorry

• boularnleh

March 24, 2015 at 9:45 am

OMG poor child,reason I don’t allow my kids go to church when am not around.

9. Ivory

March 24, 2015 at 9:01 am

“The special adviser said that indecent dressing, especially amongst the youths, was one of the causes of the incessant cases of rape and sexual harassment across the country.”
    What an ignorant statement for a woman in authority to make.
    Yes, indecent dressing should not be applauded or promoted but rape is caused by the RAPIST! ! Period!

10. jennietobbie

March 24, 2015 at 9:27 am

The beginning of ALL our problems. BLAME.

• me

March 24, 2015 at 9:46 am

Yup, the Adam effect.

11. Yvonne

March 24, 2015 at 9:27 am

The kind of people GEJ appoints eeeh makes me weep for this country!

• NagosBigBoi

March 24, 2015 at 10:21 am

Please do not bring politics into this. Her statements seem to be what many people in our country believe regardless of political bent.

• Iris

March 24, 2015 at 3:07 pm

It IS political! She made this statement as a Special Adviser of Morality whatever (first of all this position is one of the most useless things I’ve ever heard of). Who approved her appointment? Was it not GEJ? Did he not at least know about it? Well he should have. Who interviewed her? The people who surround the president are very much a reflection of his office because they make decisions every day under the umbrella of the government headed by him. That is what leadership is about. I’m so incensed by this retarded woman that I can hardly type properly. Isnt she the one who ran for elections before? Was this a compensation position or what? And for this uselessness she gets a salary from OUR money?!

12. Nahum

March 24, 2015 at 9:43 am

Ok…how do I even address this issue? First of all Madam Jibril, women in SAUDI ARABIA, you know the country where women wear abayas, get RAPED EVERY DAY!!! So how does indecent dressing cause rape? The cause of rape is the men who were raised to think that any female they come across owes them sex, even little girls and God forbid, babies. The way we raise our sons to think they are demi-gods and are not responsible for their actions, is the cause of rape. Women like YOU Madam Jibril, who like to blame and attack other women for every single thing, while worshiping and exonerating men for no reason, are the cause of rape.

Now don’t get me wrong, I am all for modesty in dressing. I am not a fan of this new trend of nakedness, but this is a free country. Women should be allowed to express themselves without fear.

All you GEJ supporters, come and get your candidate’s SA on Moral and Ethics whatever

13. o

March 24, 2015 at 9:44 am

all these people that run for posts they know they can never win, but know they will be offered some other as compensation eg Sarah Jibril…

14. boularnleh

March 24, 2015 at 9:50 am

Madam! U can as well justify stealing,armed robbery and assassination if u can justify rape. How provocative can a 2yrs,5yrs old be to a pervert before committing such act. Am sure ur kids wear d most indecent cloths because ur like usually have no say on their kids. Shior

15. prince

March 24, 2015 at 9:52 am

Naija and rubbish portfolios. Adviser on Ethics and Moral Value, all in the name of stealing. what does she do for the president. all these are the reason we will remain at this level come 2080. Some of this bullshit appointment needs to be SCRAP OUT.
    It is only in Nigeria that A Special Adviser has an adviser and that adviser has a PA and the PA has a secretary. Damn it!!!!

• ENRAGED WAGAMAMA

March 24, 2015 at 12:50 pm

DAMN! DAMN! DAMN! DAMN ETTTTTTT! SHET! I better not even drop a stand alone comment. If i do, I go sin! WALAHI!

16. whoa

March 24, 2015 at 9:52 am

This is total victim blaming. Instead of them to educate people on what is consent and what is not and impose harsher punishments on rapist, they are blaming women. Nigeria schools don’t teach sex education because the older generation live in these fantasy worlds where youngsters are not having sex. Instead of educating people on rape, sexual awareness and protection, they are passing blame. Are we still living in the Stone Age? The way you dress is your business, Too much religion is destroying Nigerians and those religions are not even ours. The people that brought these religions to us are now becoming atheists while we are still stuck in the mentality they created for us. Rubbish.

17. UpNigeria.

March 24, 2015 at 10:08 am

This is total victim blaming. When we have ingrained ourselves in the notion that some people deserve rape, that is wrong. You can dress anyway you like, that is your business. Rape is not born as a result of dressing even in more prudish countries rape occurs. Nigerian Schools need to start teaching people sex education (protection, rape;especially what is consent during sex and awareness) but that won’t happen because the older generation live in lala land where young people don’t have sex. Too much religion is also part of it because sex outside of marriage is frowned up (i agree with abstinence) but the world is changing and we need to change with it or we will be left behind. Funny the people that brought us these religions are now the ones with the biggest atheists population and we are still stuck in the mentality they gave us. We need people with open and broader views in charge of our representation.

18. aunty

March 24, 2015 at 10:41 am

This woman needs to STFU…… so i guess the house help who is raped by her boss dressed indecently? or the lady raped by armed robbers dressed indecently??
    there really isnt any justification for rape… not one. regardless of how a person is dressed.
    if she says no then let her go…. if you want to fuck someone go and pay the prostitutes.

‘Jibril said that the negative consequences of dressing indecently include rape, prostitution, armed robbery, lying, poor school grades, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases’

in other words, if you don’t dress well you would contact HIV and other sexually transmitted disease???? and if i don’t dress decently, then I’m a prostitute????? or if i don’t dress decently, i wont do well in school???? why didn’t someone edit this her speech for her bikonu???

this statement of hers has just said to all the perverted male folk that prey on and rape women that they are blameless, they are not to be held accountable and that its not their fault that they rape women. this message says that it is solely the fault of the woman who has refused to cover herself up.

the message that this woman has just passed across is that the victims have no defense and are always going to be blamed for being raped.
    God help us all…. God help the womenfolk……. God help Nigeria

19. Berry Dakara

March 24, 2015 at 10:45 am

I quit. I just can’t deal.

20. Modesty

March 24, 2015 at 10:46 am

Madam Jubril…….. abeg take several seat, what do you even know, what about those young ones raped by there Big uncles, what about the younger ones that they hardly even have traces of breast on their chest…………… I wonder why we have to take all the blames all the time………. signs

21. Omolade

March 24, 2015 at 11:28 am

Wen I see dis kinda ppl surrounding ma president , I always wonder wat kinda advice they giv him personally. If a woman can come out publicly to justify rape like dis……menh I dnt knw whr ma country is heading to dis govt seems to support erryfin dat isn’t right.

22. papermoon

March 24, 2015 at 11:32 am

Making excuses for the criminal behaviour of a man, Wait till u or your daughter gets raped then you can blame urself or ur daughter, arrant nonsense!!!!!!!!!!

23. Beebee

March 24, 2015 at 11:54 am

I was sexually abuse at the age of 10 by a neighbour, was my dress indecent?capital NO.I will be 30 in few month’s time but can’t boast of a boyfriend or fiancé because I find it difficult bto engage in a sexual relationship

• Bleed Blue

March 24, 2015 at 1:49 pm

Hi Beebee,

First of all, I wish I could hug you and tell you in person that everything will be fine. Because it will.

I went through the same and it can break anyone. It’s torture every time you remember the smell, the touch etc but Beebee, there is hope.

I’m married now. 2 kids. Is the sex part easy? Noooooo way! In fact it’s still work in progress. However God rewarded me with a man who understands, a man who knows what happened to me and doesn’t have a timetable for when he feels I should be over it. He’s standing with me all the way and even though he does have his moments of frustration, I’m truly happy to say that for the most part he’s so damn supportive.

Hang in there dear. We didn’t go through that nonsense for it to break us. Oh mannnn! I wish we could talk!

I’ll say a prayer for you and I trust it will not be in vain.
      Please keep your head up and keep the faith.

24. Eniola/ Ms Catwalq

March 24, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen, a prime example of the calibre of individuals appointed by the current (outgoing) government to “advise” them on issues…and one expects growth & progress?

25. AW

March 24, 2015 at 12:14 pm

It is amazing as a country where our priorities lie. Adviser on morals and ethics?! Wow! We certainly have run out of ideas or are getting more creative in the way we settle political favours. Since madam adviser has run our of ideas on how to carry out the duties of her artificially created portfolio, let me help her.
    1. How about telling government officials that it is ethically and morally wrong to loot.
    2. It is morally and ethically wrong that we don’t have constant power supply.
    3.It is morally and ethically wrong that we produce crude oil and still import petroleum products, we don’t refine ours.
    4. It is morally and ethically wrong that we do not have good roads
    5. It is morally and ethically wrong that the antics of Boko haram still thrives in a secular country.
    6.It is morally and ethically wrong that people still live below the poverty line.
    7. It is morally and ethically wrong for madam minister to have accepted the position.
    There are so many things morally and ethically wrong in Nigeria, the list could go on forever, indecent dressing is the least of our struggles.

• nene

March 24, 2015 at 10:02 pm

gbam. ogwugo! case dismissed. das all!

26. MZJULES

March 24, 2015 at 12:25 pm

This is the first time am commenting on this site but i have been an ardent reader…Dont know aw this woman can come out to say this,its arrant nonsense.I and my elder sister was raped by robbers in school nd the night this incident happened i was sick and feeling feverish covered myself with a wrapper and ended up tieing it when the robbers invaded our lodge …one even asked if i was married this one i was on wrapper instead of the bum shorts most females wear to sleep…but i stil ended up being raped together with my sister who was on her period.
    NOTHING JUSTIFIES RAPE…THE ACT SHOULD BE CONDEMNED,NOT THE VICTIM.

• Nahum

March 24, 2015 at 2:43 pm

You poor girl. Nigerian girls are under attack and this silly woman is busy talking about indecent dressing. May God give you the strength to overcome.

27. ENRAGED WAGAMAMA

March 24, 2015 at 12:52 pm

I….. I just can’t….. nahhhhh, SHES NOT WORTH THE EPISTLE I’D TYPE!

28. Iamme

March 24, 2015 at 12:59 pm

This woman used to be the principal of a Co-Ed school- Federal Government College, Kaduna, to be precise. I want to just hope that no young lady was ever raped while attending school there because I can’t begin to imagine the pain said lady would’ve felt with her principal blaming her rape on for example her school uniform being so tight, etc. Like someone said earlier, I just can’t.

29. Chinma Eke

March 24, 2015 at 1:44 pm

And this woman wanted to be president?
    Rape is rape, wrong, not justifiable, not excusable. This is why her message won’t succed, this is a perfect example of the kind of governance we have in our country. We blame rape on the victim, we blame road accidents on speeding drivers not on the condition of the road, we blame robbery on the victims.
    Madam Jibril; I pray for the sake of the innocent person it might happen to that you never see a loved one raped.
    This is so annoying.

30. Justme

March 24, 2015 at 3:03 pm

I have a 30 year old girl friend that believes rape is the Victims fault, guess what? I don’t talk to her anymore.

31. Lola

March 24, 2015 at 3:23 pm

I have to comment on this post! I find it really sad and heartbreaking that this woman can say such rubbish! Why should the way you dress give anyone the right to rape you! We have serious issues to deal with. Rather than educating the men that it is not ok to rape anyone, you are saying nonsense. I am against indecent dressing but please special adviser on ethics, have you heard the stories of how many girls/ladies are raped.? Many are dressed decently. Please get your facts right and stop encourging men to go around raping girls because of how they are dressed. You are the reason why our country has not moved forward, may God forgive you for this statement you have put out

32. nonamespls

March 24, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Appalling haba not in this age and day

33. Girl

March 24, 2015 at 5:47 pm

This woman is messed up!! Rape is caused by RAPISTS!! Why must society always find a way to put all the blame on the woman?

34. Jfk

March 24, 2015 at 6:30 pm

Withall due respect Ma,you have spoken like a retard! I lack words to describe you and your kind!

35. NaijaPikin

March 24, 2015 at 9:00 pm

Madam Jibril since you are giving monsters (rapists) a way out, please tell us when they can use this indecent dressing defense you have gladly offered them

– Is trouser indecent? or 3/4 pants, or knee length shorts, or mid thigh shorts?
    – Oh i forgot, does it matter if it is fitted or baggy? Thick or thin fabric? light or dark colored?
    – Well if i am in the pool or at the beach in my swimming suit, do these monsters have a right to attack me.

Stupid woman. You can open you yeye mouth to talk rubbish because you and your household to the best of your knowledge have not been victims of rape. The only reason women get raped is because there are animals/monsters roaming the streets in human form.

36. Womenispiredblog

March 24, 2015 at 11:15 pm

This woman needs to receive a letter from me.

37. tunmi

March 25, 2015 at 2:02 am

Methinks this woman may have been sexualky assaulted and has internalized what others told her when it happened to her.

38. le coco

March 25, 2015 at 9:25 am

this woman needs jesus to fix her.. what kind of rubbish is she spewing.. indecent dressing (whatever her definition is) may not be right.. but it does not give any man the right to touch another womans body without consent.. why can we not hold men to the same standards that women are supposed to adhere to? if a woman were to rape a man for the simple reason that he was sagging his pants n exposing his nyansh, would any body accept that as a valid reason? it is indecent dressing after all… all those little children that are being raped all around africa nkoh? were they indecently dressed.. when you read about sick men raping a 4 year old girl, or an 80 year old woman… where they indecently dressed? the little boy hu was recently raped by an old man.. was he indecently dressed?

39. le coco

March 25, 2015 at 9:30 am

lets even step back into history, before nigeria and most of africa was westernized.. where were our ancestors not tying short wrapper and barely covering their breast? were their stomachs nt exposed? so this whole talk of ” mini skirts not being part of our culture” needs to rest.. abi was there anyone hu’s ancestors were wearing turtle necks? did the very idea of indecent exposure not start from us africans? abi it was ok then because it wasnt considered indecent? i duno about anybody else but i have seen the pics of my grandmother during the 60’s and 50’s and that woman was wearing a mini skirt.. and as far as i know, nobody was harrassing her .. soo pleaaaase madam JIBRIL

40. survivor

March 25, 2015 at 11:00 am

While not justifying rape or seeing reasons why any one should rape or should be raped. I am equally a victim of sexual abuse, But I see a point she is trying to make. INDECENT DRESSING might be a factor that aids rape in our society. There are so many factors that lead to rape, Rape happens in different circumstances. I was barely 6 no boobs no NADA.
    But we shouldn’t overlook factors that can also contribute to it while accessing and dealing with major pedophiles.

• le coco

March 25, 2015 at 12:36 pm

@survivor.. i am sympathetic to ur plight..i can not even imagine what u have been through.. but this woman is just wrong.. and not just about the rape… how does indecent dressing cause som1 to start lying or to get poor grades… i mean cmon.. then she now had to bring demons into the whole matter…

41. Ollie

March 25, 2015 at 11:27 am

This is like saying that annoying people deserve what they get when they are murdered, or that people who earn wealth decently deserve to be robbed!
    While indecent dressing might trigger rape in some cases, are the rapists not primarily to blame? Why would any human being, who clearly differs from an animal by having advanced reasoning, be unable to control himself? Pls Mrs SA I think we need to also focus on taming men who see rape as acceptable apart from cautioning women. This logic convinces some victims that rape is their fault and prevents them from speaking out and putting their rapists behind bars!

42. Ebere

March 28, 2015 at 12:50 am

Since when did it become the official line to blame the victim – not the aggressor?
    Maybe in line with her thinking we should start blaming the Chibok girls for the kidnapping and everything else that happened. They are female – so it must be their fault. That woman needs to get her thinking right.