Music

#TeamFitFam! Waje Talks Her Weight Loss Journey ‘When You Look Good, People Tend to take you More Seriously’

Waje Look 1There is no doubt that singer Waje has had a style revamp in the past few months, especially after her grueling workouts with Uzi of Uzi Burnout.

The singer, in a chat with Punch Newspaper, reveals that one of the major reasons of starting her weight loss journey was the reaction from people after a particular event where she had performed onstage.

She shares:

I reduced my weight because I watched my performance on screen one time and I was shocked. When you are on screen, you add ten pounds and there was a time I was performing and it was shown live. I did not like the comments on twitter and it made me depressed for a while. I had to make a decision if I wanted to enjoy life and call myself a fat person or I could live a better lifestyle. As a female brand, I am a visual brand and when you look good, people tend to take you more seriously. You also feel smarter, so I had to start thinking in that direction. The weight loss was intentional and the reason was because I wanted to live a healthier lifestyle. I just want to reduce my food intake, especially junk foods. My stylist is hoping I get slimmer because it is easier to style slim people. For slim people, you can get clothes off the rack but for people like me, we have to make the clothes most of the time.

Speaking on how she has been holding up so far, especially with her diet, Waje says

Because of my new lifestyle and weight loss, I had to give up some foods. I love ice cream and solid foods especially starch and banga soup but I had to give them all up. I try not to take too much of sugar because I love biscuit and chocolate but God has changed my life.

You can read up her full feature here.

Photo Credit: Instagram/OfficialWaje

1. f8kay

March 22, 2015 at 11:07 pm

she is looking more beautiful

2. Shisha Cake

March 22, 2015 at 11:31 pm

There is absolutely nothing wrong in being plump, for crying out loud. Don’t get me wrong, eating unhealthy and getting obese is totally outta the question. But there ain’t nothing wrong with being full of life on the healthy fat side. Everyone musn’t look like a broomstick before they’re appreciated, or styled easily for that matter.

• Shao

March 23, 2015 at 4:42 am

Pls tell me…what is the “healthy fat side.” Ain’t nothing healthy about fat am a glad NIGERIANS are seeing that now and trying to keep fit. Our health system is bad enough to tackle issues like cardiovascular diseases and other fat related illnesses. We already hv maleria, HIV, cancer,malnutrition why do we need to put more weight on an already poor infrastructure.

A word is enough for the wise ohhhhh!!!

• bug

March 23, 2015 at 6:28 am

Yes nothing wrong if you are cool with it. I use to be size 14 but with hormonal struggle I went up to 20.. I need help, although I haven’t been eating right to be honest. I need a workout/healthy eating program that won’t cost much.

• vivian

March 23, 2015 at 9:13 am

Hi darling,
      i can relate to what you’re going through..bit i gotta say this..
      self-pity wont work!!!!
      Make your mind already, and loose the damn weight.. it will melt off if YOU want it to.
      shapecube.com
      *hugs*

• temis tots

March 24, 2015 at 4:17 pm

@bug. I also had the the same hormonal struggle but I conquered it through studeis and learnings. running a fitness club now. (most especially for those with hormonal imbalances and medical conditions) and I can help. trust me it dosent cost much

• Osa

March 23, 2015 at 7:25 am

Its this thing tall girls have. Waje is like me in a way. She was not nt even that fat. But its good she is conscious so she doesnt get into the over weight obese region . I also look at a few ohotos of myself when i thot i was so fat, the pics are quite nice now. But its good to be conscious of ones weight tho, but not to the extent of not considering urself beautiful becos of a few extra pounds which can be shed anyway.

• Jhennique

March 23, 2015 at 11:13 am

Shisha Cke, Wake up!!!!!
      LOL. HEALTHY FAT???????? di u even hear yourself?
      I dont even know where to start or end with this

3. Ella

March 22, 2015 at 11:35 pm

WOW!! Girl you look soo good. Keep it up. Starting my weight loss transformation from 2mrw for the nxt 3 months 2geda with some friends. Am excited about it and i want this life long transformation badly. This surely inspired and motivated me more. Great job Waje.

• vivian

March 23, 2015 at 9:10 am

waay to go, sistah!.. i made that decision last year..and within 5 mths, dropped from 81 kg to 65kg..now all i do is maintain my current weight.
      be disciplined and consistent, love..goggle and know more about the right exercises and food to eat.
      people will try to dissuade you from your goal..but DON’T listen to them..go for what you want..and feel good, cos at the end of the day..its all frigging worth it!!

• Ella

March 23, 2015 at 5:04 pm

Thanks darling. That meant a lot. #FEELINGMOREINSPIRED

4. goldfinch

March 22, 2015 at 11:49 pm

LMAO @God has changed my life.
    Waje is it that serious? Are we still talking about chocolate and ice cream or something else?

Anyway, I agree with this statement 100%
    “…….when you look good, people tend to take you more seriously.”

Sadly, people judge you by your outward appearance even before you open your mouth to utter a word.

• $exyD

March 23, 2015 at 11:14 am

My dear goldfinch, it takes the grace of God to have that determination and discipline to lose the weight…like Vivian, I just started following shape cube and really, It’s truly liberating when you know you are healthy and can wear anything you want but without the help of peeps around you and God’s help, it might be a little hard.

• Tosin

March 23, 2015 at 8:04 pm

You can never go wrong with namedropping God in Nigeria sweetie.

• Mohammad

March 23, 2015 at 11:53 pm

I been think say na ordinary me don observe am

5. Ba

March 23, 2015 at 12:55 am

Ok, that’s right. Is good to stay fit and look young. Hope the men will drop their f***** ego and reduce their pot belly.

6. Animal Doctor

March 23, 2015 at 1:08 am

Starch and wetin?! It’ll be a cold day in hell before that gets off the menu

• memebaby

March 23, 2015 at 6:13 am

a very cold cold day sista!! can’t take my starch and banga soup away from me pls

7. akwa iboms ajebutter

March 23, 2015 at 6:21 am

She looks better..:her shoulders wer just a bit too broad den….hw did uzi do dis by d way?

8. ChiChiChilolo

March 23, 2015 at 9:53 am

But she wasn’t looking bad then. She was hot. Anyway one man’s meat is another’s pomo. The Lord is your muscle girlfriend.

9. Nahum

March 23, 2015 at 10:19 am

It is very good to exercise and be conscious of what you eat and the amount of food you ingest. If you pay close attention to what goes into your body and if you stay active, it should not be too difficult to stay in shape. I was once in a very unhealthy place in my life, but thank God I am much healthier and quite fit too and yes, clothes do look better on me. However, I hate fat shaming and I do not believe that people who are big should be shamed into losing weight. Weight loss is a personal journey that one embarks on when one is READY. So all the sanctimonious and self-righteous “slimmies” should keep their hateful opinions to themselves ’cause their insults do more harm than good.

10. Jhennique

March 23, 2015 at 11:18 am

Gosh i wish i could teach some of y’all a thing or two bout health and fitness. Its sad the amount of misinformation out there. People doing trial and error and then giving up cos they have no results. Its simpler than people actually think

• mrs chidukane

March 23, 2015 at 11:51 am

Jhennique teach us nah. Write to BN let’s all learn from you

• jhennique

March 23, 2015 at 12:14 pm

For me to share i have to at least know you body weight, typea and fitness goals. Its nota one size fits all thing. Each workout plan is based on personal goals. But maybe id just send one for weight loss since that seems to be the major problem. @BN how do i share an article on this?

• BellaNaija.com

March 23, 2015 at 2:10 pm

• uby

March 23, 2015 at 11:52 am

pls share!! send info to [email protected]

11. Peaches77

March 23, 2015 at 11:26 am

Never listen to your parents, inlaws or friends who tell you, oh you look very good especially after having children…. NEVER!! Omoge, climb the scale and pay close attention to the scale and only the scale. This is what i was listening to and went from size 8 to 14. Worst part was that i never looked overweight.. People / doctors were always surprised when i told them my weight because i didn’t look it, but i was getting fat, unhealthy and totally unfit. After my last medical check up, doc told me plainly that i was overweight (Polysistic ovaries matters) and needed to lose at least 5-7kg. I am now running, doing abdominal and other aerobic exercise. I am sure i haven’t lost 5kg yet but it feels sooooooooo good to be getting my groove back. Please start today.

12. Nora

March 23, 2015 at 4:57 pm

D truth is, u rily need 2watch ur weight, 1st by d kind of food u eat, junks precisely, d slogan “u ar wot u eat” isn’t far fetched..I use maself as an example,I’v weighed 75kg for 7yrs now..sumtins wen I climb d scale,I may reduce bt I neva increase further than 75…a lil tip 4u..try as much as poSsible 2exercise daily_trust me it helps,drink enuf water daily,avoid eatin all d time,,som ppl cannot do without puttin sumfin in d mouth & wot ur food contains matas a lot,eat fruits n vegetables..above all disciple urslf n u’l see d dramatic change