News

#Winning! Nigeria’s Akinwumi Adesina elected as new President of the African Development Bank

adesina2He is widely recognized as a Minister who stood out in terms of excellence during the Jonathan regime. Now, Akinwumi Adesina has been elected as the 8th President of the African Development Bank on Thursday, May 28.

Adesina is currently serving as Nigeria’s Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development.

He succeeds Donald Kaberuka, whose second term as President of the Bank ends in August.

His name was announced by Albert Toikeusse Mabri, Minister of Planning and Development for Côte d’Ivoire, and current Chairman of the Board of Governors of the African Development Bank.

The election was conducted by the Board within the Annual Meetings of the African Development Bank Group, held in Abidjan.

Dr. Adesina is a distinguished agricultural development expert with 24 years of experience in developing and managing successful agricultural programmes across Africa.

He graduated with Bachelors degree in Agricultural Economics with First Class Honours from the University of Ife, Nigeria (1981), where he was the first student to be awarded this distinction by the University. He obtained his PhD degree in Agricultural Economics in 1988 from Purdue University, USA, where he won the Outstanding PhD Thesis for his research work.

Adesina, 55, will assume office on 1 September 2015.

1. @edDREAMZ

May 28, 2015 at 7:43 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said..
    Always on new things…. thank God i have stop singing that song futures of tomorrow….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

2. nkoli

May 28, 2015 at 8:07 pm

Congrats Dr. Adeshina! So proud u made it, you were d only person that made sense in the outgoing administration and am optimistic you will make a great in put to the development of Africa and our dear country Nigeria. #Goodworksspeaks

• YettydKat

May 29, 2015 at 2:21 am

But sha still under Jonathans watch abi?

3. bruno FIERCE

May 28, 2015 at 8:14 pm

how much were u paid to publish this kiss a$$ article
    #winning, really? the man is in his late 50’s.

4. Tosin

May 28, 2015 at 8:14 pm

God bless!

5. newbie

May 28, 2015 at 8:22 pm

Proper pedigree, proud that he’s one of ours. Let’s hope he helps drive economic development on the continent even further, especially as regards poverty alleviation and sustainable development. Go Africa, go!

6. pretty young thing

May 28, 2015 at 8:45 pm

Congratulations to him!!! He is on brilliant man and knows his onions. Thumbs up to him

7. uyai

May 28, 2015 at 9:25 pm

Congratulations sir. Thank you for making us proud!

8. MARTHA

May 28, 2015 at 9:35 pm

congrats Adesina. even though our own (Dr. Samura Kamara – Sierra Leone) did not win, I am happy a West African won.

9. Babygiwa

May 28, 2015 at 10:13 pm

Congrats sir! A true Omoluabi and a brilliant man. May God guide you. Amen.

10. nnenne

May 28, 2015 at 10:41 pm

Congratulations . This is your stepping stone.

11. Bp

May 28, 2015 at 10:45 pm

Yorubas Making nigerians proud since time immemorial.

• Egbami

May 29, 2015 at 12:45 am

I am Yoruba but you need to shut up, this is for all Nigerians, cause GEJ, GMB, NOI, Atiku and all Nigerians were rooting and lobbying for him. Tribal fool. Eniyan ti ko le ronu, olori lanko lanko. Gbe enu re dake.

• ShineShineShine

May 29, 2015 at 2:25 am

@Egbami, I like your avatar.

• Nne

May 29, 2015 at 3:01 am

Hmm…If Igbos say this, the whole world will pafuka. (aka…you Igbos are chestbeaters, arrogant, etc).

Ok o.

• Olu

May 29, 2015 at 2:33 pm

I’m sure you can see a yoruba person condemned the post..what more do you want?

12. nene+

May 29, 2015 at 12:06 am

Congratulations Akinwunmi, well deserved!

Good job on Agriculture you did! I remembered Some Nigerians started calling for your head on the monies Jonathan approved for Agriculture ministry to enable farmers purchase phone to be able to access fertilizer. Hmmm Akinwunmi I got know you when I listened to a program on Nigeria info 99.3 when a caller was calling for your head and Chucks and Matse were trying to educate the caller who was busy abusing some time in 2011/2012. So I picked up interest and stood to defend to the best of my ability. Today Nigerian own(you)have been elevated.

If Jonathan yielded and sacked you to satisfy the few that wanted you out,it have been a different story today.

I am happy for you dear. I pray that some day some others who served the country with from their heart will be rewarded and not be generally called corrupt for they are Nigerians and not strangers to hate NIgeria.

When monies was approved for clean cooking stove two days ago I still defended that if all Nigerian stop felling of trees our lives will be better and our world preserved for our children. I am still processing for a permit to cut tree ? almost growing into my house here in the U.S.. How come we indiscriminately fall trees to dry and use as fuel and people are screaming. Even the charred wood(charcoals’) are exported in
    Nigeria to western countries from trees killed indiscriminately without replacing them. Bad!lets treat our trees like rhinos horn preserve them.

Congrats worthy Nigerian! I wish you well in your new job.

13. goddy

May 29, 2015 at 12:56 am

Take a look at the man for 55 and look Rotimi Amaechi for 50.

• apc lies

May 29, 2015 at 1:58 am

The difference is one is apc the other is PDP.
      Lies don’t pay it makes you old and rickety. See Jagaban at football age 60’s and Buhari FIFA age 73. Amechi Olympic age 50 hmmmm.

• shopperoflife

May 29, 2015 at 2:30 am

Too much hatred and bile does age a man. Amaechi is full of both

• adaeze

May 31, 2015 at 2:30 am

oh, that’s not possible. two different people, with different perspective to life.

14. Freeborn Omueza

May 29, 2015 at 1:24 am

Congratulation my dear Dr. Akinwumi Adesina for being elected the President of the African Development Bank. You have always made us(1981 set of great Ife) proud. You are a great achiever and this you demonstated while serving as the Hon. Minister of Agriculture in Nigeria under President Goodluck’s Government. My prayers is that may the Almighty God give you the Grace and ability to continue your good work in your new job by replicating in multiple folds the kind of success you recorded while serving as Hon. Minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

• shopperoflife

May 29, 2015 at 2:28 am

Too much hatred and bile does age a man. Amaechi is full of both.

15. Moses Obiozor Emembolu

May 29, 2015 at 2:39 am

Congratz sir ! Mr.Adesina is a well spoken man and very brilliant too. He deserves it my people , if only people have heard this man speak then you will know his worth .Carry on with the good work sir , you have inspired me with your crusade for agriculture.

16. laslas

May 29, 2015 at 2:41 am

So proud of my fellow Ag. Econ. OAU and Purdue alumni. Nigerians in Purdue have always been proud of you! You made the university to respect us and our intellectual abilities.

17. clementine

May 29, 2015 at 7:58 am

I did not know he could speak French plus the heavy qualification.The old Naija is back. I proud die. I don tire for obodo oyinbo.#Homecoming

18. Amh

May 29, 2015 at 9:28 am

Omo luabi. Omo yoruba. It is our pedigree. Congrats. I pray for New nigeria. Home here i come. Yoruba ronu. Hmm Ileya o.

19. Lady Cate of Nigeria

May 29, 2015 at 10:14 am

Congratulations! So proud of him. In Jonathan’s cabinet which is rated to be very corrupt and to have underperformed, Dr Akinwumi stood out.
    This shows that irrespective of what’s going on around you, stay focused on achieving your set goals and stay true to yourself.

20. chibuike

May 29, 2015 at 5:40 pm

Congratulations sir! Thank you for making us proud.

21. lateefah

May 29, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Refreshing news! We need more technocrats in Nigeria’s politics

22. Iwanttoworkfor ADb

May 30, 2015 at 5:14 am

Finally that Kenyan HNIC dude is out so we can finally apply and get a job.
    I applied gazillion times – i was million times qualified yet they never called me
    All my Kenyan friends who applied 8 out of 10 got a jobe cos i heard most of the hiring team were Kenyans and East Africans

So finally now that we got a Nigerian man to be the HNIC, Nigerians (and GHanaians can catch a break) I am glad they are not in Tunisia anymore and moved to Ivory Coast, AT least if you are NIgerian or Ghanaian who works there you can always fly home every weekend

23. adaeze

May 31, 2015 at 2:32 am

I’m very happy for him, he deserves this position and will do great things on the job. He is a man of integrity.

24. edie

June 1, 2015 at 11:19 am

Nigerians are such lovely people. Congrat s Dr Adesina..continually open new frontiers by God’s grace in Jesus nm 🙂