Music

‘I make my money from shows’ Timi Dakolo Talks New Music, Growing Up & Filling His Garage with the Latest Cars

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

Timi DakoloTimi Dakolo has got a love for cars.

The music star has shared photos showing his gorgeous cars on social media a few times and in an interview with NET Ng, Timi Dakolo talked about his love for cars.

He talks about his upcoming album as well as his experience growing up with his grandmother in Port-Harcourt.

Read excerpts below:

On cars: I make my money from shows. Because you don’t see me on these publicised music concerts doesn’t mean I don’t get shows. I make money performing at corporate events. I get paid well for performing at birthday and private parties.

On his album: I am working on music. I have been recording.  I have loads of songs that I am working on.  I dropped the video of ‘Iyawo Mi’ not quite long ago and I have also released the video of my new song titled ‘Wish Me Well’. The song chronicles the story of my life. The story of how I came from Port Harcourt to Lagos. It’s the real story of my journey. I have truck load of songs that I will release in my album titled Love and Consequences. Me and my producer, Cobhams (Asuquo) are seriously working on it.  We will finish up the album any moment from now.

On working with Producer, Cobhams Asuquo on a lot of his songs: He understands music a lot. Sometimes music comes to me in form of humming and I won’t have words for it. The first person I call is Cobhams. For example, I got the inspiration for ‘Wish Me Well’  when I was playing video game with a  friend of mine, so he was  winning me and I wasn’t happy about it,  because I hate to lose. All of a sudden, I started humming and then it sounded good. I then went to Cobhams and I told him this is how I want the song to sound and he said ‘don’t worry’. We talked about the songs for days and we were able to come up with good words for the song. Cobhams is a genius.

You can read up the full feature here.

Photo Credit: Instagram/timidakolo

1. Abeke Ajani

June 22, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Timi, you are talented. Please keep up the good work. My hubby and I have been your fan since the days of West African Idols. Your lyrics are powerful, Iyawo mi seems to me my favorite at the moment and my hubby knows I really love it. Your taste for good cars is good but make sure you invest in land, houses, treasury bills etc. In short, I want to believe you’ll have an investor coaching you. All the best

2. tish

June 22, 2015 at 7:17 pm

I’m a fan of your music and what you show of your family life. Kudos!

3. Busarni

June 22, 2015 at 7:18 pm

I am not knocking your hustle but I hope you are making the right investments sha; you no go sing forever ooh.

4. Gistyinka Blog

June 22, 2015 at 7:48 pm

Yes !! Timi makes his money through shows, that are not meant for the public consumption. He performed almost 75% of Aso Rock gig.

5. naveah

June 22, 2015 at 8:20 pm

Timi, I am a fan. You are one of the few male singers in Nigeria that actually has a voice and doesn’t need autotune. If all was fair you, Praiz, Bez should be bigger than Davido, Wiz Kid, Ice Prince etc because all of you can actually SING and the latter two can play instruments; in other words, you are not studio engineered entertainment.

Having said that, my brother remember that musicians/singers/performers fall out of favor with the audience often….remember Styl Plus, where dem dey? Abeg o as you are buying cars and indulging in your love of whips make I no see your name for fundraising petition letter in a few years o ehen! For each car you buy, put the equivalent of that money in the bank/investment. I don’t understand these women that are married to these celebrities that they can’t advise them well, or abi na fear to lose the comfort or abi na sey the men no dey listen?

How many “celebrities” have we seen online begging for money for medical treatments? Hold your ear and advise yourself o. Cars are NOT a good investment, they depreciate instead of gaining value.

6. ochuko

June 22, 2015 at 9:09 pm

Yea timi dakolo big ups to you for giving us good music…I really love your songs.

7. @edDREAMZ

June 22, 2015 at 10:21 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said..
    Iyawo mi and wish me well are the fucking bomb but pls ft MI in the Remix of wish me well bcos i so believe dude will do justice to that song……
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

8. Felinda

June 23, 2015 at 1:50 am

enough already with this guy
    gosh – u such a media and social media whore, look at my shoes, my clothesm my wife , my kids blah blah blah
    money miss road
    why is it akways these new money m.f always making noise.
    you never hear the dankotes making noise
    And no am not jealous of this razz
    i am jealous of the dagotes, danjumas etc

• cindy

June 23, 2015 at 3:36 am

Haterz alert!! You just so sad cos somebody else is living a happy life. He is proud to show of his family, leave him be! When did he ever tell you to look at his shoes? Please o, we all post at least one or two pictures on a social media platform every other week. Why can’t he do the same? Because he is a celeb? Abeg leave him alone o jee!

• Aykay

June 23, 2015 at 10:12 am

Na wa o!!! Show us your instagram page lets see what you have there. People like you are the reason Buhari is president. A deep seated inability to use your brains to analyse situations and give sensible remarks pertaining to that.

Your wickedness can be seen in the remarks you are giving here.. You should go and cleanse yourself of bitterness and be happy when people are succeeding.

• mrs C nwayioma,lol.

June 23, 2015 at 1:38 pm

I don’t understand the people like you are the reason Buhari is president part. Hmmm, so we should have re-elected GEJ so he can finish what he started? Nigeria just came out from a season of serious oil boom broke yet people still want GEJ? What is it about that man that has blinded some Nigerians biko? I don’t get it.

9. oyo

June 23, 2015 at 4:36 am

@felinda your name should have been jealousynda! bad belle oshi, did he stop you from showing off your own shoes or even toothbrush???? That is if you even have a toothbrush or a decent shoe to shoe off……………….

10. Ada

June 23, 2015 at 8:21 am

I love Timi Dakolo! All these musicians who are not reigning but are reigning silently are the real deal! Good lyrics, lovely voices too. Timi, Waje, Asa, Bez, Darey… no excess noise of “drop your cloth, shake your bum bum” just making beautiful timeless music!

I love Great Nation Timi, well done!

11. Annie Mbz

June 23, 2015 at 9:44 am

Thumbs Up! Timi, am ur fan anytime bros. God bless ur hustle

12. Ima

June 23, 2015 at 9:53 am

Wish me well is my fave for now. It brings back a lot of sad memories. The Goodbye mama part kills me softly. I just sob each time i listen to it. I still have hopes and dreams that i will make it with a lot of hard work…Thanks Timi.

13. Tosin

June 23, 2015 at 3:44 pm

i want a great public transportation system. trips me more than any car. so help us God.