Style

Man Touches Selma Director, Ava DuVernay’s Hair |Another Woman Presses Charges Against Offender

Ava DuVernay

Ava DuVernay

A few days ago actress Teyonah Parris tweeted angrily about a man touching her hair without her permission, and now it looks like more Black celebrities with natural hair aren’t taking people randomly touching their tresses lightly.

Now, Selma director, Ava DuVernay has tweeted about her locs being touched by a random stranger at the train station and the police got involved.

Read her tweets below;

Well the Natural Hair community definitely isn’t taking a liking to their hair being touched anymore. What do you think? Were the charges pressed necessary?

Photo Credit: Getty Images/Frderick M. Brown

1. Berry Dakara

June 17, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Forget the hair element, natural or not. WHY THE FUDGE SHOULD SOME RANDOM STRANGER TOUCH YOU FOR NO BLOODY REASON?!?!?!

• Iris

June 17, 2015 at 1:21 pm

Forget that sef. I can see someone in nigeria doing that out of genuine curiosity. It is rude but true. Now that comment ‘Is this racial’? What the hell does that mean?
      Maybe white people are used to seeing the weave and nothing but the weave and are now having their minds blown lol.

2. Taeo

June 17, 2015 at 12:22 pm

If I read the tweets correctly, Ava didn’t press charges. Another lady is pressing charges for harassment….

3. bruno FIERCE

June 17, 2015 at 12:27 pm

*having*

4. Violation...

June 17, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Natural hair or not, when it is on MY HEAD it is a part of MY BODY. Touching it without permission is a violation of my body! Period! Full stop! Imagine a random stranger doing this. God knows where their hands have been.

5. Bella

June 17, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Unless you are a toddler aged 5 and we are playing at the nursery, do not touch my hair or anything else for that matter, the heck? seriously stay in your lane and mind yours!

6. abby

June 17, 2015 at 12:56 pm

I pray we have such laws here….its war going through d market without u being not just touched but dragged for no reason….to worsen it I go through d market on my way to work everyday…Dats how dis agbero stained me with charcoal hands all in d name of saying ‘fine geh’….I haff suffered no b small!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Olu

June 17, 2015 at 2:00 pm

doro fyn geh 🙂

• kandy

June 17, 2015 at 4:54 pm

My color no worry you go buy car this year, God don do am for you….

7. Foxtrot

June 17, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Bella – I dont understand! What has natural hair got to do with this? or do you think this only happens to women with natural hair?

8. Blah blah

June 17, 2015 at 1:28 pm

The fear of touching a black woman’s hair is the beginning of wisdom. Everyone will think twice now and keep their hands to themselves.

What’s the big deal some of you will say?
    How about a stranger touches your lips because it looks so full and lush? She/he is curious na.
    Or touches your bum out of curiosity cos he’s never seen one so round, portruding and jiggly. He/she wants to be sure it’s not padded. Or your boobs? Na mad man be dat ba?
    Or run his or her finger up and down your skin cos it looks like mahogany or porcelain.
    That’s not the same thing as hair you say?
    Well it’s on my head. It belongs to me and I am the landlady of my body.

Stranger (in Nigeria where I live): excuse me miss may I touch your hair?
    Blah blah: hold on while i call my pastor to book a deliverance session and you sanitise your hands because I don’t know who you are or where your hands have been!

9. Zahralicious

June 17, 2015 at 1:41 pm

I so much love Ava’s locs. cant wait to loc my hair!

10. onetallgirl

June 17, 2015 at 2:01 pm

I understand that it is never okay for a stranger to touch someone’s hair without permission., I would not like it if someone did that to me but pressing charges is too much. Now you have to waste time going to court. The judge has bigger cases to worry about.

11. bruno FIERCE

June 17, 2015 at 2:47 pm

bellanaija the comment muncher. why did u eat my comment.

I will lacing my comments with poison. any time u eat any of my comments, u will fall ill

• bruno FIERCE

June 17, 2015 at 3:56 pm

*be*

12. oyko

June 17, 2015 at 2:53 pm

It seems Natural hair is slowly gaining the status of immotality. Like something of a mystical nature

I’m natural too but im observing a subtle trends where some naturalisters perceive themselves almost as higher beings for not relaxing their hair.

This topic of to touch or not has been in the media a few times recently and I hear/somewhat agree with comments above, it may be inappropriate ., but I meet genuine people who are blown away by the look of a full head of hair., the texture, the amazing styles we come up with. More times than not:it is aesthetically apealing to look at.

These are people who are impressed by our hair and sometimes don’t know how to respond to it… Most times these people are of a different race and if we respond with anger: we may be strengthening the “angry black woman” stereotype

so I hope we natural haired girls get an opportunity to educate people in a less threatening manner and I certainly hope people are less creapy about things.
    Please gain permission to touch and accept that NO is a likely response

• tunmi

June 17, 2015 at 6:25 pm

Abeg re-read everyone else’s comment. There is no subtle trend. It is simply rude. It has nothing to do with it being a natural hair movement. If they are curious, ask and wait for consent to be given. It is when they start grabbing your bum to see if it is real that you may understand.

13. ATL's finest

June 17, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Never touch a black girl’s hair without permission lol #lessonlearned#

14. mz_daniels

June 17, 2015 at 3:26 pm

I’m of the opinion that things like this make black women come across as angry.

Someone touched your hair, lot’s of us living in Nigeria do it. If you’re not fine with it, smile politely and accept the compliment graciously. After that, you can say ‘I feel uncomfortable when my hair is touched especially by white. Some people might consider it racial’.

Methinks this ‘IT’S MY HAIR ON MY BODY’ is a bit selfish and too angry, easy peeps, nicer way to get our points across.

#butthenIamnoexpert

• tunmi

June 17, 2015 at 6:36 pm

Because b

• tunmi

June 17, 2015 at 7:09 pm

I meant to say touching someone without consent should not be done period. Nigerians also need to understand that. You don’t touch people without consent, and you do not invade their personal space without consent.

And the whole “smile and accept the compliment” is imposing. Let’s switch it up. Would it be okay to grab a man’s crotch because it looked appealing? Would it be angry and selfish of them to not want strangers or even friends to touch their hair without asking? It’s common decency and for tok long women are made to “smile and accept it as a compliment”. Like Chimamanda said, “[fuck] likability”

15. mz_daniels

June 17, 2015 at 3:27 pm

white people

• hmmm interesting

June 18, 2015 at 2:14 pm

lucky he didnt get a slap .. black or white you touch me i will do you for sexual harrasement mate ..violation …its part of me. He should of just asked I like your hair can I touch it. She has the right to complain. I had a guy look at my breast all in the name of wanted to see my ID Badge .. I cussed him like are you for real. …

16. Mabel

June 17, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Strangers used to run up and rub pregnant women’s bellies until mothers-to-be started talking about their dislike for it. Now we don’t have random ppl rubbing pregnant bellies just because they think it is cute. A good parent does not let strangers touch their children on any part of their body, Little people do not let others lift them up and try to play with them like they are children. You have to respect people’s personal space, it is one thing to have to touch someone because you are on a packed bus or train, but to go out and touch someone on any part of their body without their permission can be considered an assault.. If you are curious about the hair then start a conversation with the person about it, or keep it moving. Leave people alone!

17. Longsufferer

June 17, 2015 at 10:11 pm

would you like it if i touched your breast or girlfriend’s breast? that is my strategy going forward.. touch my hair, I touch a body part…