News

Pope Francis: Sometimes Family Separation is Morally Necessary

BellaNaija.com

Pope Francis Visits South Korea - Day Five

Pope Francis on Wednesday stated that in some instances, separation of the family is inevitable.

He made the remark during his weekly general audience, The West Australian reports.

According to reports, he said:

“There are cases in which separation is inevitable…Sometimes, it can even be morally necessary, when it’s about shielding the weaker spouse or young children from the more serious wounds caused by intimidation and violence, humiliation and exploitation.”

Francis emphasized that are many families in “irregular situations” and the question should be how to best help them, and “how to accompany them so that the child does not become daddy or mummy’s hostage”.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

1. polypoly

June 24, 2015 at 4:10 pm

hallelujah sir!!!!! your head dey dia Oga Pope……sad when I see unhealthy marriages and the kids are subjected to being part of all the mess.

2. Pope for all

June 24, 2015 at 4:29 pm

I love this POPE! Practical and Realistic …. no room for self denial

3. Viv

June 24, 2015 at 4:40 pm

Very practical sir, first time time I heard a religious leader say this and I totally agree. Don’t stay in loveless marriages, violent marriages etc. there’s still a chance in life. God gives blessings that maketh rich and addeth no sorrow!

4. Tee

June 24, 2015 at 4:41 pm

Thank you. #thatsall

5. Single Shalewa, Bitter Bintu!

June 24, 2015 at 4:46 pm

There’s something very real about this Pope and it’s not strictly cos of this statement. He has been very realistic for quite some time. No filter type.

That being said, I’m glad someone of his authority finally had the balls to say this considering how church leaders tend to tread on eggshells around divorce issues. They would see a couple going through serious domestic violence issues, serial cheating and all and still say “God hates divorce”. Well, the Pope has broken it down for those going through a turbulent marriage – there’s a way out. Don’t go and die there abeg. God hates divorce but he doesn’t hate divorcees. Shikena!

• Bleh

June 24, 2015 at 5:30 pm

The Catholic Church has always been for separation in a toxic marriage….SEPARATION and not DIVORCE….The husband and wife are still not free to marry other people in the Catholic Church unless one party dies. So nothing new about this pope’s statement.

• EllesarisEllendil

June 24, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Non Catholics always get hyped about Pope Francis’ statements. They don’t know he’s merely restating what has always been Catholic doctrine. Let them have their fun.

• Alero

June 25, 2015 at 12:15 pm

You sure know your doctrines 🙂

• Mbaks

June 25, 2015 at 2:23 pm

AH, dis is iro o, say wht u are sure of na. Who told you Catholic church does not grant divorce? Google is your friend dear.

6. aisha

June 24, 2015 at 5:24 pm

Better to be late to marry than be the late Mrs

7. aisha

June 24, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Bn post my comments

8. jamok

June 24, 2015 at 5:52 pm

This has been my candid opinion….why live with someone you once thought your world revolves around and add so much value WHEN he or she becomes the source of your sorrows & a semi-terrorist to you? Just stay apart in good faith & try to find your bearings….both of you if you are lucky/or unlucky to have had a kid/or kids; can workout in clear terms on how to give them the best they deserve mbok!

9. Yebo

June 24, 2015 at 7:06 pm

He’s not saying divorce is necessary, he’s saying SEPARATION is sometimes necessary. Divorce and separation are not the same. Anybody who divorces his or her spouse for any reason other than adultery, cannot remarry, cos if he or she does, it’s adultery against the ex husband or ex wife.
    At the end of the day, let the Bible be your watch word, because it supersedes whatever any pope, priest or man of God says. May God help us to marry His will for us.

10. Mabel

June 24, 2015 at 8:13 pm

@Yebo, the Bible better stay there and watch me ma’am, cause I am not promising any book that I am going to stick around to be anybody’s punching bag. Your eyes don’t shine and see the amount of murder suicides going on these days? if those women were alive I am sure ALL of them would say they saw some sign but brushed it off, or they were planning to leave but gave it another chance. God live in me, the Kingdom is in me, so I am going to have to let the book watch me while I take the God in me and walk to my freedom. I ain’t here for the bondage life, no matter the fonts used to type on those pages, nopes, I ain’t here for the bondage life one bit.

11. mey

June 24, 2015 at 10:59 pm

Note, he said weaker spouse which could either be a woman or man..

12. ACE

June 25, 2015 at 8:58 am

I love you Pope ! My sentiments exactly. Sometimes when lives are endangered seperation is needed. Very realistic point of view .

13. nse

June 26, 2015 at 4:44 pm

The pope talked about separation and not divorce. when someone is separated, he/she is not free to remarry, separation does help some ugly marriages to b on track. on the other hand the only reason for divorce according to the bible is adultery.