News

Wow! Warriors Win First NBA Title in 40 Years After Defeating Cleveland Cavaliers 105-97

BellaNaija.com

Golden State

In the words of Rihanna, “sometimes it takes a thousand tries to win.” Well, for the Golden State Warriors, it took 40 years for them to win an NBA title after their first win in 1975.

Daily Beast reports that the Warriors defeated the Cleveland Cavaliers 105-97 in Game 6 of the NBA finals to take home their first NBA title in four decades.

Here is a summary of how the game went according to the report:

LeBron James hit 32 points, 18 rebounds, and nine assists, but it wasn’t enough to stop Stephen Curry, who put up 25 points, six rebounds and eight assists while NBA Finals MVP Andre Iguodala added 25 points to clinch the title Tuesday night at Cleveland’s Quicken Loans Arena. The Warriors came back to win the final three games in the series after the Cavs had taken a 2-1 lead. Iguodala, who beat out series favorite James, is the first Finals MVP to win without starting a single game in the regular season.

Photo Credit: Bob Donnan/USA TODAY Sports/Reuters/Daily Beast

1. @edDREAMZ

June 17, 2015 at 3:41 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said..
    Congrats to them… Football still remain the best game ever though…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

2. A Real Nigerian

June 17, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Basketball. Boring.

3. akissi

June 17, 2015 at 4:09 pm

bellanaija get your facts straight abeg! Step Curry is the MVP and not Ighodala! Please no let me vex for diminishing my baby faced assassin abeg

• Lizzie

June 18, 2015 at 2:37 pm

Abeg re-read that line, BN is right. Iggy won the final’s MVP.

4. akissi

June 17, 2015 at 4:23 pm

**steph

5. akissi

June 17, 2015 at 4:24 pm

ps James was never in the running for this year’s MVP. It was between Curry and Harden of the Houston Rockets

6. Anon

June 17, 2015 at 4:24 pm

Finally! If the Cavs had won, it would have been plastered everywhere because of “the King.”
    He did well. He dragged his team all the way but he couldn’t do it alone. KLove’s injury was a big loss to them earlier on in the season.

Anyway, Steph Curry is awesome. His rise continues, The GS Warriors were the standout team all season and deserved to win.

Iggy (Andre Iguodala) played a great game.

Fantastic to see a team out of the normal ones win a championship.

• Not Anon

June 18, 2015 at 3:53 am

Because the Warriors’ win isn’t plastered everywhere, even on BN?!

7. rs

June 17, 2015 at 4:48 pm

chef curry with the pot boy!!!

8. ATL's finest

June 17, 2015 at 5:22 pm

Yes, we sure did IT!!! I guess Oga Lebron J was too busy and didn’t see it coming. I wish Cava and help Lebron out.. My boo Curry wasn’t playing o. He added Maggi, salt, pepper and his own special Curry to it.. #teamGS#. Now I’m ready for some touch down FOOTBALL

• EllesarisEllendil

June 17, 2015 at 10:02 pm

Ehm why aren’t you rooting for the Hawks???? You jumped one whole conference. Chai!!

• ATL's finest

June 18, 2015 at 1:29 am

@ EllesarisEllendil lmao! Trust me I wouldn’t trade anything for Hawk & Falcons but chaii they always disgrace me so I had to jump shift real quick & just the wagon. Nearly can’t kill a bird but Hawks just ain’t doing it for me. I was never a fan of Cava & Oga Lebron made it worse for Mr too :))

9. mo

June 17, 2015 at 5:47 pm

#teamGS# queen LeBron can go be the best in his room. Love me some curry, add iggy to it and mix it with green. Love the golden boys

10. tunmi

June 17, 2015 at 5:58 pm

Curry and Iguodala….I swear it sounds so Nigerian. Congrats to GS. I like Lebron as a player buy I just cannot stand him as a person. Since Naija is out of the 2015 world cup (women), having a Nigerian represent here is just as good (does he even identify as Naija sef?)

11. akissi

June 17, 2015 at 6:36 pm

bellanaija, Steph Curry is the MVP and not Ighodala. please get your facts straight! James was never in the running for this year’s MVP it was between the baby faced assassin aka Curry and the bearded one aka James Harden of Houston Rockets. and post this comment cos you refused to post the first correct I made to this article earlier

• Busarni

June 18, 2015 at 1:16 pm

@akissi; BN doesn’t take corrections ooh. They will chew your comment when you try to correct them. That was how I made a correction on one of their post countless times but they refused correcting the post as well as my comment.
      The post was on who nominated senator ekewremadu; BN mentioned abiye sekibo former SSG to odili; while the actual person was Senator George sekibo.
      BN if you like chop this comment as well. I care less

• Anon

June 18, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Read again…

12. Fume

June 17, 2015 at 7:46 pm

congrats to them, didn’t see this coming.

13. New bride

June 17, 2015 at 9:03 pm

I love me some chef Curry!

Nothing sexier to me than a man who genuinely loves God and this young man does not hide his love for God.

• EllesarisEllendil

June 18, 2015 at 12:04 am

Wouldn’t God frown on you loving another Woman’s Husband?

14. girl

June 17, 2015 at 9:41 pm

#dubsnation #chefcurry Lord when i tell y’all i almost cried yesterday.

15. benito

June 18, 2015 at 1:13 am

Way to go GSW.

16. LeoLeo

June 18, 2015 at 10:12 am

Pls read clearly before you start commenting the article said NBA FINALS MVP not REGULAR SEASON MVP, and no where does it say James was in the running for the mvp( he came 3rd btw) so yes he was in the running but not a favourite except in the Series final

17. CarlosD

June 18, 2015 at 11:45 am

Hw i wish i watchd tha finals. I like pleasant surprises.

18. adams francis

June 18, 2015 at 2:21 pm

akissi pls curry was the MVP for the regular season and Igoudala was the MVP for the NBA playoffs